Did the Forums just get funky?

Re: Did the Forums just get funky?

Synx -

The bottom of the forum hasn't changed. We won't be moving the ad for our jinx shop to the bottom of the site, underneath the threads or to the top of the site where the Rules text is. Because you block the adverts from purediablo.com you can't see that the advertising banner is there. For someone blocking our means of keeping the site online for everyone else you're very comfortable in telling us how we should do things. Neither can you see the ad in the left nav bar for our shop, again because you're blocking the adverts.

I don't block all ads, just obtrusive ones. I removed the frame because not only do I never plan on buying overpriced tshirts with "OMFG NOOBS R PWND LOL!" printed on them, but because I have mistakenly clicked on it several times while unselecting text on the page, and it is brutal on the eyes.

I find it strange that I'm being demonized for consolidating many of the communities thoughts (this thread is huge for a reason) into two quick screenshots to make it easier on your end to address if you decided to... simply because I removed an annoying, out of place ad frame (I'm not causing you to lose any more revenue than any other member who isn't interested in the merchandise).

In closing: I'd rather donate a few bucks in order to support the site than buy a novelty tshirt that I'll never wear, but there seems to be a little bit of animosity going on here.

*edit*

Just noticed that my PM box and ability to see profile pages has been mysteriously disabled, guess thats the punishment for feedback on the changes. :undecided:

Last edited:

That is most unlikely. The Mods / Admins around here are no bullies, and will definitely not do anything without telling you. I think it's just a temp problem, having nothing to do with your feedback.

I'm not causing you to lose any more revenue than any other member who isn't interested in the merchandise).

You are. Ads are paid on load, not on clicks or purchases. They just need to load.

Lukefojut - You aren't meant to see adverts no but that isn't a normal advert (as in served through our ad server in the rotation), it's basically like site buttons or any other graphic on the site. Like when we used to have a button on the front to buy Diablo 2 and it would link to our shop for that. There's no mechanism set up to remove those types of graphics per user group on the forums but that doesn't mean Rush won't try to make something. You won't see the banner at the top however, if you do let me know.

And is there going to be solution to the paying members of the site?

I believe she answered that question already:
There's no mechanism set up to remove those types of graphics per user group on the forums but that doesn't mean Rush won't try to make something.
The ad is an eyesore, and I understand that it's a slightly different type than those that Pals don't see.

I was curious though, if making that section (including the Quick Nav) a bit smaller/narrower would be considered. The width of it covers the first 1/4 of my screen, causing my to scroll to the right for any post I want to read. I think I read in an earlier post that it was set up based on an "average" internet setting or something along those lines. I'm not sure how that works.

Edit: In referrence to the t-shirt ad: Would there be a way to make it so Pals cannot see it, but it still loads in the background? You would still get the revenue from the load and we wouldn't have to see it.

You are. Ads are paid on load, not on clicks or purchases. They just need to load.

Lukefojut - You aren't meant to see adverts no but that isn't a normal advert (as in served through our ad server in the rotation), it's basically like site buttons or any other graphic on the site. Like when we used to have a button on the front to buy Diablo 2 and it would link to our shop for that. There's no mechanism set up to remove those types of graphics per user group on the forums but that doesn't mean Rush won't try to make something. You won't see the banner at the top however, if you do let me know.

If thats how that works, then I'll unblock the actual ad, but keep the graphic filtered so the ad is still there, just 'invisible'.

Any info on the stripping of the forum privileges? I see no infractions in my user control panel.

I can't say I used those, but they did seem better placed at the top as drop down menus than the Quick Nav does along the side of the forum. Is there a reason why the side panel is the preferred place over the drop downs at the top of the forum?

Dii Legend said:
I can't say I used those, but they did seem better placed at the top as drop down menus than the Quick Nav does along the side of the forum. Is there a reason why the side panel is the preferred place over the drop downs at the top of the forum?
A fat ad on the side is much more 'in your face'. Obtrusive ads get noticed, and as long as the admins want us seeing the ads more than they do the site content (posts and such), I expect it will remain as is.

I'm also distressed that the pals are seeing these ads, despite the 'no ads' assurances. I understand that there are technical hurdles that need resolving before the ads can be eliminated for pals, but it seems to me that with proper testing, this could have been resolved before the ads were made 'live' on purediablo.com. I think the only fair thing for the admins to do, if they decide to keep it as is, would be to extend pal status by the length of time it takes to resolve the issue. Thus, if it takes three weeks to resolve, all pals have their paid pal status extended by three weeks. Non-pals like myself might not have as much cause to object to the changes, but for those who have paid for a service, they should not be charged for periods they're not receiving said service.

I also agree with all those people who have suggested making the ad's location (left or right side) user-configurable. There are a few people (well one that I saw, as I skimmed this thread) that like the new layout, but for those that don't, moving it to the right would make things look much more balanced. Admins: alienating your users so they frequent the forums less, if at all, is no way to get people to click your ads. It would benefit everyone if a workable compromise could be achieved.

Another suggestion for the admins: since you've dismissed the suggestion others have made about a 'floating' nav bar (a suggestion that I personally like, as I've got it set to 40 posts per page), could you make it so posts whose tops were below the bottom of the nav bar actually extended closer to the left margin? I mean, I'm not a fan of the nav bar with those annoying ads, but the blank space after I scroll down a few posts is a total waste. On my widescreen display, it's one-sixth of my screen, and it's got to be far worse for those with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Being antagonistic won't help matters. If the admins did limit your privileges, it's probably because you were blocking the ads.

Yes, I know, it doesn't seem fair, but it supposedly is one of the rules. Go figure.

Some sort of official explanation would be nice though (No infractions made, very cloak and dagger).

I would be PMing Elly with this, to have a private conversation, except I am unable to send PMs, even to mods (my PM box allows zero messages). Go figure.

synx said:
Some sort of official explanation would be nice though (No infractions made, very cloak and dagger).
Your posts are vanishing too, as is the quoted bit in my reply to you. It makes it look as though I'm replying to someone else, saying something I'm not.

So....what's the 'new stuff!' ?

I don't see any difference - maybe the upgrade is not finish yet? :wink3:

I'm slowly getting used to the "new look" of the forum. Though the navigation bar on the side is a bit weird and not really useful for me. :p But the forum is working normally again so it's all good.

So, what's up with the stretched leftmost column?

wtf.jpg

Maybe they're trying to push all the text to the right (creating space for ads) so eventually we have to read from down to up.

Lulz, that might be an option... Grr, it keeps logging me off. :(

I didn't notice this stretched column! CSS experiments? Hmmm, oh noes, no more ads!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High