Ender's Mafia Game

I have no clue what Ender's Game is about besides the overall synopsis from wikipedia. Does anyone has any insight on what the source entails and how it can affect the game? Anything special that we should all know? (e.g. "Xyz" maybe be a cult). Also, my policy vote:

Vote: Moar

Who is your favorite Ender's Game character?
Who is your least favorite Ender's Game character?

Favorite is either Valentine or Bean.
Least favorite was Bonzo, guy was just cruel.

I wonder how much HIPS is going on already in this game?

Also why are there votes already in a non-voting phase?

Hiding In Plain Sight.

At first I really wanted to make some comment about Shakira. Also, when did I miss this alphabet soup? And Drixx, was
that line your attempt at HIPS?

Votes are used to express high levels of suspicion (generally, though they are also sometimes random and vendettas at game start). They are also used to remove mafia from the game. While we can not use them for the second purpose, why do you object to the first?

I'm drunk, but. Cal is keeping hp his mi.d game like usual. Time for soxme sleep, just want to mention. That I have no clue when iklk be on acvain..

Hmm, never would have figured it out if you had not said you were drunk at the beginning :p

I have no clue what Ender's Game is about besides the overall synopsis from wikipedia. Does anyone has any insight on what the source entails and how it can affect the game? Anything special that we should all know? (e.g. "Xyz" maybe be a cult). Also, my policy vote:

If I remember correctly, this is based of the first book and not the whole series. I think the most likely mafia would be the people who oppose Ender in command school (Bonzo being the first that comes to mind). While the enemy that Earth fights in the book is the buggers, they are really not present in the books. As for other anti-town factions, I don't see a likely cult faction.

I'm drunk, but. Cal is keeping hp his mi.d game like usual. Time for soxme sleep, just want to mention. That I have no clue when iklk be on acvain..

This has some serious logic. Is well thought out, inspired, and brings up several very good points and calls out several scum. I will be using this as my blueprint for voting the entire game.

Anyways else just want to squeeze Kitted and snuggle? Just me?

I agree with Gwaihir, it all really comes down to the administration versus the kids. I'm trying not to spoil anything but that's how it is.

Maybe there's some offshoot characters involved too, who aren't directly in training. Maybe Valentine or Peter? I think they make a good portion of the book anyway, so it'd be a shame if they weren't included.

How do you figure?

Honestly I would just say get the book and read it. For anyone who reads fiction for pleasure, it should be a required book, imo.

At first I really wanted to make some comment about Shakira. Also, when did I miss this alphabet soup? And Drixx, was
that line your attempt at HIPS?

Votes are used to express high levels of suspicion (generally, though they are also sometimes random and vendettas at game start). They are also used to remove mafia from the game. While we can not use them for the second purpose, why do you object to the first?

I don't see how a twilight vote is useful to the town. I suppose as an inside joke or, as you say, expressing a vendetta ... but afaik the roles are randomized, so who or what we all were in other games is not in the least bit relevant here. All the votes right now serve to do is obfuscate things, which is generally bad for the town. The bad guys want confusion while the good guys want clarity.

That said, I am more used to playing Mafia live where you can watch people and a lot of the tells I look for can't be found in the forum games, which makes them both challenging and frustrating :)

I don't see how a twilight vote is useful to the town. I suppose as an inside joke or, as you say, expressing a vendetta ... but afaik the roles are randomized, so who or what we all were in other games is not in the least bit relevant here. All the votes right now serve to do is obfuscate things, which is generally bad for the town. The bad guys want confusion while the good guys want clarity.

Games most often start with a 'joke phase', of sorts, to get the ball rolling. Otherwise, who wants to be the first poster? Reading over past games, how often have you found that those that start the serious conversation are labeled as scum? So jokes are said, silly votes are placed, and the reactions those illicit will eventually provoke proper discussion. Case in point - my joke votes got you discussing the merit of them, which has now lead us to a serious discussion about the validity of the joke phase.

For instance - due to those joke votes I placed, I now suspect something about Korialstraz. He felt the need to inform us that he wasn't going to be around much during the Twilight phase, yet stops by to offer a drunken read on me that very much looks to be in response to my joke vote on you (while re-informing us of his lack of activity). Almost as if he were defending you, for some strange reason. Now, later in the game, if you were to be lynched and flipped scum, that would naturally lead me to start questioning Korialstraz.

I don't see that as obfuscation at all. In fact, I see it as exactly the opposite: Perform an action; gauge reactions to the action; use information to determine who is scum.

For instance - due to those joke votes I placed, I now suspect something about Korialstraz. He felt the need to inform us that he wasn't going to be around much during the Twilight phase, yet stops by to offer a drunken read on me that very much looks to be in response to my joke vote on you (while re-informing us of his lack of activity).

Vote: CG

That's normal korial.

Flub a dub dub a lot of men in a tub.

One says mew

Several say pew

Whom to club?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I am not a man and neither is Moar. Can we be in the tub too or should we be in our own tub? Moar, do you like bubble baths? I have some good smelling stuff, quite exquisite! :D And a bubble bath is not complete if there is no wine. I have some wine by the tub too. :cloud9:

@Everyone

Who is your favorite Ender's Game character?
Who is your least favorite Ender's Game character?

hmm... I really like Ender. He is so smart and keeps persevering despite all the crap they give him.

Least fave? That one dude from Spain that bullies Ender. Someone recently told me who it was and I forgot already. -.-

Least favorite is a much more difficult question to answer. The obvious choice is Achilles, but he wasn't really in the original books. I suppose I would have to go with Bernard. .

Remind me who Achilles and Bernard are please. :( It's been a while since I read the book.

I agree with Gwaihir, it all really comes down to the administration versus the kids. I'm trying not to spoil anything but that's how it is.

Maybe there's some offshoot characters involved too, who aren't directly in training. Maybe Valentine or Peter? I think they make a good portion of the book anyway, so it'd be a shame if they weren't included.

Well. Ender and Val were close. They loved each other and Peter was kind of a ****. But while Ender was at the school, they were doing political stuff on Earth. Now, how they would work in the game, Idk because I'm not Pharphis but I would think they would be some sort of power role.

Honestly I would just say get the book and read it. For anyone who reads fiction for pleasure, it should be a required book, imo.

Yes. Agree so much.

@Leo
That's what I was trying to say! :p
Val and Peter would definitely be some kind of PR if they were in the game. They aren't directly involved with the training, so I don't think they would be vanilla townies.
How they influenced politics on Earth leads me to believe they'd be able to do something related in-game, although I'm not sure what that would be.

And yes, the book is amazing and you should read it if you've the time.

Val and Peter would definitely be some kind of PR if they were in the game. They aren't directly involved with the training, so I don't think they would be vanilla townies. How they influenced politics on Earth leads me to believe they'd be able to do something related in-game, although I'm not sure what that would be.
Mmm, should I assume there is a character in the source material called "Val" and not my abbreviated user name? Either way, I have no idea what you are talking about.

@Val
Oh, my bad. That's supposed to be "Valentine". I'll say it long-form from now on.
Val will always refer to you.

Twilight ends and N1 begins in 40 mins. I'll be getting groceries so I'll post a few hours later.

I am not a man and neither is Moar. Can we be in the tub too or should we be in our own tub? Moar, do you like bubble baths? I have some good smelling stuff, quite exquisite! :D And a bubble bath is not complete if there is no wine. I have some wine by the tub too. :cloud9:

If I go get a gender-change operation, can I get in on that too?

I wonder how much HIPS is going on already in this game?
Roughly 50% (as of your post).

Asking a question without answering it yourself.

Yup.

My favourite is probably the Colonel. There's something deep to him. Pharphis touches on it in his story post - how he is not out to be the good guy, or the kid's friend. He's there to do his job - save the Earth. He knows he'll be reviled and damned for it, and he's willing to accept that burden. That's sort of... touching, to me.

Least favourite is probably Mazer. Not because of who he is or anything, but because I found it sort of trite that he's trotted out at the tail end of the book and paraded around like he's some tactical god, but really he's a guy who got lucky in the first war and justspouts inspiration at Ender.

Huh. I don't recall you answering one of my early game random questions. At least not for a while. I'm pretty sure you said you were afraid to answer those types of questions in case I was mafia.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High