Ender's Mafia Game

Here are all the PMs I received:

pharphis said:
"Who to choose, who to choose.

Bah, lets go with _____ this time around."

Just for future clarification. This was a randomly chosen message from last night. Names will always be blanked out

pharphis said:
Forgot to send this earlier today. This time you heard a lot more.

“I can't think of a way to rescue you either since you and ______ are the only scummy posting people out there. _____ will focus on ____ tomorrow and I don't think he'll be suspicious enough to turn it around to him.

I regret voting for ______. It was a flash decision to do it after just skimming over the posts on the bus and getting on with 15 mins to spare. Might have been much better to have him around for another day of frame discussion.”

Reminder that the number of underscores doesn't indicate name length by any means.

pharphis said:
"Bull****, fing bull****. Sorry I wasn't around to try and swing votes at day end, but I'm not sure what I could have done without claiing the vig kill somehow anyway.

What's our plan of action? We have to get ____ out obviously, and we need to protect _____, but then that will block his ability."

pharphis said:
Here you go. A nice fill-in-the-blank today :)
Reminder that # of underscores does not represent characters in name, but as you can see it may approximate length (of chosen spelling).

"Jailing any of the claimed power roles is useless, it may keep them around, but then they don't get results. However it would save a confirmed townie for a night. The only problem being is if I choose the wrong one, then one power role will be killed off, and the other will have no results, leaving us at a huge disadvantage.

The other option is to try and jail the hitman, the chances of picking them out is even lower than possibly saving someone but if I choose right then we have a guaranteed scum lynch. If the hitman is designated I have a better chance because I've already Jailed ____ once.

List time!

_____ - Nothing from her, replaced ______ which I also had nothing from
_______ - Vig (claimed X shot, so unsure if 1 or more, most likely scum but jailed before)
______ - Seems townish, day 2 vote suppots it, not sure
____________ - Yours truely
________ - Highly likely being town
_________ - Nothing from, possibly town from d2 vote
______________ - Soft claimed bus driver
_____ - Claimed bomb, but didn't do so until way late and multiple power roles exposed
__________ - Eavsdropper
_______ - Quickly left ____ lynch, claimed vanilla early, likely scum
______ - Nothing from
_____ - Nothing from, but leaning toward town from D2 vote
_____ - Claimed cop
____ - Nothing from, _____ seemed to know who he was claiming"

pharphis said:
"Lucky we're all in the same time zone or night time coordination would suck."

pharphis said:
"That's a good point. It seems like it's too late to choose E, I'll go with A in post #20 if that's what you meant.
Although, some people have the idea that A) Adults are bad or B) People who make Ender's life hard are bad.

How could I possibly be town if that's what my role is? I don't know how I could convey that."

pharphis said:
"Can probably pin something on _______. She's such a bad player she always looks scummy."

pharphis said:
"If I had to guess, ____ is our SK"

Mafia were allowed to PM at night rather than talk in the QT. Due to forum limits on the length of the PM, I had to send a PM with the link to a QT I created.

PMing at night is incredibly risky (/wave profile peepers) so we didn't do it much. I think a grand total of 5 PMs were sent between members the entire game.

My PM is Too Long! (link sent during N4)

Sent 3min before the start of D5:
Goryani said:
Last Hurrah!

a
There are 3 views and 3 unique views to the link in my last PM. There are 4 of us (plus mod). I think someone hasn't seen it yet.

b
I think the best overall strategy is to kill confirmed townies. They also happen to be the active players. The players most likely to make a case and vote.

c
The presence of another power role (balance wise) hinges on the source of the other killing element. A SK could easily mean another power role like doc.

d
If there are multiple kills tonight or if there is a kill and we don't get the flip, then it looks like a SK. I think zemaj is the most likely SK.

e
Several have talked about a cult. A recruiter trying to recruit mafia sometimes dies. That's an outside possibility. That means the remaining cult members should know the ID of the mafia targeted.

f
I'M GETTING A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS!

Timeline of Jason/Pyro and the jailkeeper breadcrumbs
419 - Jason mentions someone can protect but it causes a block (jailkeeper)
420 - flubb jumps in and point blank throws the jailkeeper idea out there as if he's the jailor
453 - Jason is fishing for the term bull****.
488 - Pyro mentions back bull****. Pyro talks about quoting a line. He's talking to me but it doesn't fit anything I did. I think he's talking to Jason and not me.
490 - Jason acknowledges he saw Pyro's reply
496 - Jason gives more info about what he read and included the "false" vigi claim convo.
504 - zemaj mentions cross chatter
507 - Jasom mentions cross chatter between cult and mafia NOT masons, which is opposite of what Sath and Pyro claimed. Jason has more than enough to determine they are telling the truth unless pharphis is altering the text.
530 - Jason asks whether or not I'm implying Sath was lying. Could my silence have fooled Jason so much he thought Sath/Pyro was actually mafia so he was searching for mafia and not masons? Go me?
560 - Pyro coming clean and clear about being Sath's mason buddy. Pyro claims. The name fits the doc/protector name.

WIFOM WIFOM WIFOM! Aint mafia fun?

If the kill on Pyro doesn't go through, I think it means Pyro is a doc rather than Jailor. Or another doc but then I hope the SK got through.
(It's basically the start of D5 and mafia still aren't positive if a SK is in the game...)

My PM is Too Long Part Deux! (link sent during N5)

Vig in the hands of mafia (day or night vig) helped make up for the low mafia numbers. The vig in the hands of the spy/traitor not only counteracts the loss of NK due to recruitment, but also to give the spy/traitor a chance at obtaining a fake claim in case they weren't recruited by mafia come mass claim time. Mafia spy/traitor with 1x vig shot was an EXCELLENT role!

Maybe you think day vig kills should always be town but I think that's a mistake because it will turn all daytime vigilantes into innocent child vigilantes.

The eavesdropper worked just fine even after Jason claimed. Look at the mafia conversation before and after the eavesdropper was known. Without the eavesdropper, mafia don't have to make lots of fake posts and wonder if someone is making a fake post or a real post. Mafia planning and coordination suffered greatly.
Thanks! I feel spy/vig was the best combo I came up with, given the kill could go any way. Your use was pretty funny, too, but I understood your reasoning as posted in the dead thread (and some in a pm?).

Yeah, eavesdropper ruined my experience of reading your chat, but I got a handful of laughs out of it at least.

I also forgot to mention that throwing in a survivor to bring the cast at 3 neutrals was really just because I was making up for another player who signed up late (and yet I somehow forgot Jason!). I figured a neutral wouldn't have too much of an effect on the balance, and then decided to give him 1x cop for better chance of making it to end-game. In hindsight I'm not sure that it would help a survivor make it to end-game in general.

Also, if any neutral was to be investigated I would have said their alignment was neutral. This includes the SK.

When you designed the game, did you have a win rate in mind for those neutrals? Rather, a win rate for the SK since the others can share a win. Did you expect the neutrals to help/hurt any faction?

Also forgot to answer this more directly.

I didn't really think much about the SK, tbh. i knew I wanted one, and I knew that they usually (I thought) were at least 1x bullet proof.

Now that I think about it, a cop investigation of the VI w/ bullet proof after a failed mafia NK would result almost undoubtedly in the mafia assuming the VI was the SK! Huh, that makes for a really cool way to win as VI, so I'm glad I made it up just now :p
mafia fails to kill VI
cop claims the VI is "neutral"
mafia goes crazy trying to lynch the VI

Besides the post from Moar, that was probably the most helpful post Jason received all game, if he had gotten my next post he would have had my minute scum list (nailed down to 4), and 3 of the 4 people I had picked were scum, I was on a roll.

Besides the post from Moar, that was probably the most helpful post Jason received all game, if he had gotten my next post he would have had my minute scum list (nailed down to 4), and 3 of the 4 people I had picked were scum, I was on a roll.

Your chat is so scummy. That's how you were able to find them ;)

Have you posted it yet?

Mafia were allowed to PM at night rather than talk in the QT. Due to forum limits on the length of the PM, I had to send a PM with the link to a QT I created.

PMing at night is incredibly risky (/wave profile peepers) so we didn't do it much. I think a grand total of 5 PMs were sent between members the entire game.

My PM is Too Long! (link sent during N4)

Sent 3min before the start of D5:

(It's basically the start of D5 and mafia still aren't positive if a SK is in the game...)

My PM is Too Long Part Deux! (link sent during N5)

And people were beating up on me for posting in the mason Quicktopic....

All in all, a great game. It seems like I was bound to fail from the night Gwaihir died since no attention was put towards Val. I don't know so much about the 1x bulletproof. I want to say it's OP but if he didn't have it he would have a slim chance of surviving the whole game. I figured mafia had it in the bag for the last few days and then I became pretty unsure near the end. I think I underestimated everyone's play, and I DEFINITELY did not expect an SK. That's rough.

Couldn't have just made him a bus driver, huh Pharphy?

All in all, a great game. It seems like I was bound to fail from the night Gwaihir died since no attention was put towards Val. I don't know so much about the 1x bulletproof. I want to say it's OP but if he didn't have it he would have a slim chance of surviving the whole game. I figured mafia had it in the bag for the last few days and then I became pretty unsure near the end. I think I underestimated everyone's play, and I DEFINITELY did not expect an SK. That's rough.

Couldn't have just made him a bus driver, huh Pharphy?

Achilles the SK. You called it, D1.

Thanks! I feel spy/vig was the best combo I came up with, given the kill could go any way. Your use was pretty funny, too, but I understood your reasoning as posted in the dead thread (and some in a pm?).

Yeah, eavesdropper ruined my experience of reading your chat, but I got a handful of laughs out of it at least.

Also, if any neutral was to be investigated I would have said their alignment was neutral. This includes the SK.

1) Agreed, I thought it was a very good touch. Gave the mafia a good reason to actually recruit the spy, as it doesn't waste a NK. Also puts in possibilities of a bus or miskill by the spy.

2) :p Eavesdroppers are evil.

3) ...yikes. A bulletproof, semi investigative immune (eavesdropper immune, partial cop immune, jailkeeper works) SK. That is very, very powerful. In general, it seems like SK's come up as anti-town to cop, so that could have been pretty confusing.

Yeah, you jumped the gun a bit. Calling me out in thread with CAPS demanding the vote was not a good move, even if the SK had not been around. As mafia, even if you think you have it, play cautious until the mods says you won. Might have been able to win without that if Val had not figured out that we were the last 2 mafia. I probably should have not voted after your demand, but I thought the connection was so obvious at that point our only chance to win was if the SK killed me and we killed him that night.

Shows the strength of an eavesdropper to mess with mafia chat that you didn't realize there was an SK. I was going off that assumption, but I pretty much stopped trying to put anything of use in the thread as soon as we saw the eavesdropper (Side note, if it was a bus driver misdirecting our kills, we still likely would have gotten flips from the new target- not kill:fail).

Well I'm glad I was able to have some sort of positive influence, even if it was unintentional... :badteeth:

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Pharphis for hosting.

The next game's theme will be based on the Dungeons and Dragons rpg game Baldur's Gate. I will put up the sign up thread for the game sometime within the next couple of days, here in the SPF.

1) Agreed, I thought it was a very good touch. Gave the mafia a good reason to actually recruit the spy, as it doesn't waste a NK. Also puts in possibilities of a bus or miskill by the spy.

2) :p Eavesdroppers are evil.

3) ...yikes. A bulletproof, semi investigative immune (eavesdropper immune, partial cop immune, jailkeeper works) SK. That is very, very powerful. In general, it seems like SK's come up as anti-town to cop, so that could have been pretty confusing.

Yeah, you jumped the gun a bit. Calling me out in thread with CAPS demanding the vote was not a good move, even if the SK had not been around. As mafia, even if you think you have it, play cautious until the mods says you won. Might have been able to win without that if Val had not figured out that we were the last 2 mafia. I probably should have not voted after your demand, but I thought the connection was so obvious at that point our only chance to win was if the SK killed me and we killed him that night.

Shows the strength of an eavesdropper to mess with mafia chat that you didn't realize there was an SK. I was going off that assumption, but I pretty much stopped trying to put anything of use in the thread as soon as we saw the eavesdropper (Side note, if it was a bus driver misdirecting our kills, we still likely would have gotten flips from the new target- not kill:fail).

The thing was, no one even mentioned that little outburst of mine. It seemed SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOO obvious yet everyone glazed over it. I was mystified.

Good points though. Next time I'm not going to try and rush anything because there's always that little uncertainty with extra scare PR's running about.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High