COPS forum mafia

I've solved this silly puzzle...

Quick questions:

Did you do any lie analysis? Does the theory hold no matter if Player X is lying?

Who started with what sanity?

A sane cop investigating town would receive....?
A sane cop investigating mafia would receive...?
An insane cop investigating town would receive...?
An insane cop investigating mafia would receive...?
A neutral cop (?) investigating town would receive...?
A neutral cop investigating mafia would receive...?

Still think it's you and Goryani who are mafia and I'd very much like to start by lynching you.

Did you think this yesterday? If so, why didn't you speak up about it when you voted Zokar? To me, it looked like you wanted to test Laarz' theory.

Code:
                       N1                N2               N3
      CG          BA-town  
   Zokar    numbers-mafia           BA-town       Drixx-town
   Drixx       Drixx-town     numbers-mafia  
 Goryani       Zokar-town    Sathoris-mafia          BA-town
Sathoris         CG-mafia     Drixx-neutral   Sathoris-mafia
 Bad Ash     Goryani-town     numbers-mafia          BA-town
 Numbers      Laarz-mafia   Goryani-neutral       Zokar-town
     Cdm  
   Laarz   Sathoris-mafia   Goryani-neutral          BA-town

If someone is investigated by multiple players the same day, each cop receives the same result. It's happened 2 days. It's happened with 2 investigatees N2 and 1 investigateee N3. It's happened with 4 investigators N2 and 3 investigators N3.

Of the living... Noone has all town results. Noone has all mafia results. Everyone has a town result except Sathoris. Everyone has a mafia result.

Quick questions:

Did you do any lie analysis? Does the theory hold no matter if Player X is lying?

Who started with what sanity?

A sane cop investigating town would receive....?
A sane cop investigating mafia would receive...?
An insane cop investigating town would receive...?
An insane cop investigating mafia would receive...?
A neutral cop (?) investigating town would receive...?
A neutral cop investigating mafia would receive...?

Choice in using "sanity" to describe this was poor on my part, rather it's the player's "starting point" in the spectrum of choices. ....->town->mafia->neutral->town->mafia->.....

So, the questions about sane/insane/neutral don't really apply since we're not talking about sanity in the traditional sense.

To be, hopefully, a bit more clear, let me try to rephrase:

Player A investigates Player B on Night 1 and gets a mod determined "random" result. For argument sake, lets say that Player A gets a mafia result on Player B. The impact of this action is to "realign" that spectrum of choices stated earlier.
In this case, Player B can be thought to be at the mafia point in that spectrum. On Night 2, Player B investigates Player C.

town->(mafia)->neutral is Player B's view of the world. So, to the right is his view of what is really town. So he sees town members as being neutral and he sees mafia as being town. If Player B on Night 2 investigates Player C and gets neutral, he knows Player C is actually town (town to the right, mafia to the left). If he investigates Player C and gets town, the he knows Player C is actually mafia (mafia to the left, town to the right).

There are some chains that are not impacted by lies. Example, Drixx is town, we know that. Look at his record.

Drixx investigated Drixx as town on N1 so he sees the world as (neutral-)->(town*)->(mafia+) where - is mafia * is neutral and + is town. He's viewing the world from the town being neutral position. So, on N2 he investigates Numbers as mafia+, which from this perspective means + is town and thus Numbers is town. This is a completely isolated chain and given that Drixx is known to be town, I trust his results as being told accurately in thread and this I believe Numbers to be town and believe what he says to be accurately reported.

Looking at Numbers then: Numbers investigates Laarz as mafia, so Laars sees the world from the perspective of mafia being neutral: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+). On N2, Laarz investigates Goryani as neutral from his perspective or town in the absolute perspective.

However,

Zokar investigated Numbers as mafia, so Numbers sees the world as mafia being neutral: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+). On N2, Numbers also investigates Goryani and sees his as neutral or, relative to the absolute perspective, Numbers knows that Goryani is town. Both Laarz and Numbers agree that Goryani is town.

We can continue this chain quite a bit.

As for deceptions, yes, I looked into that quite a bit. What is interesting about deception here is that it bites you in the ass.
If BA was being truthful about his N1:Goryani:Town read, then on N2, Goryani's read of Sath:Mafia actually means that Sath is genuinely town.

However, I believe the chain from Drixx->Numbers->Goryani to be genuine. This mean that if Goryani really investigated Sath as Mafia on N2, then on N3 Sath would see things from a mafia is neutral perspective: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+) and I believe this to be true.... Sath investigates himself as mafia which would make him neutral in a game of no neutrals. Which makes Sath a liar.... OR...

if BA was lying and say he did N1:Goryani:Mafia, then on N2 Goryani's read would mean Sath is neutral centered and when he self investigates.... he ends up actually investigating himself as the mafia he really is :D

... am I wrong? maybe... but I've gone through the vast majority of possible combinations that are possible given the dead town we know and how that restricts results... and it feels like it fits pretty well.

Then to top it all off, the last two comments from BA/Sath pretty much make me think they're scum even without this...

If I understand your theory correctly, it's impossible for someone who was investigated as town on N1 to receive a town result N2. This also true for mafia/mafia and neutral/neutral.

Violations:
Zokar received town result N2 and should have received mafia or neutral.
Sathoris received mafia result N3 and should have received neutral or town.
BA received town result N3 and should have received mafia or neutral.

These violations aren't "mafia" results - they shouldn't be possible at all. A lie.

Will revisit the theory...

LIke I said, may be wrong. That being said, I do find it peculiar that I think I pegged the two mafia but for a potentially wrong reason.

On N2, there were 3 mafia results and 3 town results but only 2 mafia, so this not being random, I find it unlikely that those two groups of results describe any mafia in it, save for the lone result that doesn't fit, aka BA:Town. Why is that special, why does he not fit the mold?

On N3, there were all town results except 1, coincidence? Sathoris is the only verdict that does not fit into an overall pattern. Why is that special, why does he not fit the mold?

My previous potentially broken theory aside, I find myself wondering why those two... and only two are so different in a game with exactly two mafia....

Funny thing... this is probably about the simplest damn pattern to observe and I didn't really see it before trying to figure out something complicated hehe.

At any rate, I still see no reason for me to change my vote, except to put it on Sathoris.

A lie needs to be sold. Were at mylo. If we were wrong about you, scum wouldve locked you and it wouldve been game over. Whatever the cop mechanic is we wont reach an agreement, so we need to go on scum reads.

Choice in using "sanity" to describe this was poor on my part, rather it's the player's "starting point" in the spectrum of choices. ....->town->mafia->neutral->town->mafia->.....

So, the questions about sane/insane/neutral don't really apply since we're not talking about sanity in the traditional sense.

To be, hopefully, a bit more clear, let me try to rephrase:

Player A investigates Player B on Night 1 and gets a mod determined "random" result. For argument sake, lets say that Player A gets a mafia result on Player B. The impact of this action is to "realign" that spectrum of choices stated earlier.
In this case, Player B can be thought to be at the mafia point in that spectrum. On Night 2, Player B investigates Player C.

town->(mafia)->neutral is Player B's view of the world. So, to the right is his view of what is really town. So he sees town members as being neutral and he sees mafia as being town. If Player B on Night 2 investigates Player C and gets neutral, he knows Player C is actually town (town to the right, mafia to the left). If he investigates Player C and gets town, the he knows Player C is actually mafia (mafia to the left, town to the right).

There are some chains that are not impacted by lies. Example, Drixx is town, we know that. Look at his record.

Drixx investigated Drixx as town on N1 so he sees the world as (neutral-)->(town*)->(mafia+) where - is mafia * is neutral and + is town. He's viewing the world from the town being neutral position. So, on N2 he investigates Numbers as mafia+, which from this perspective means + is town and thus Numbers is town. This is a completely isolated chain and given that Drixx is known to be town, I trust his results as being told accurately in thread and this I believe Numbers to be town and believe what he says to be accurately reported.

Looking at Numbers then: Numbers investigates Laarz as mafia, so Laars sees the world from the perspective of mafia being neutral: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+). On N2, Laarz investigates Goryani as neutral from his perspective or town in the absolute perspective.

However,

Zokar investigated Numbers as mafia, so Numbers sees the world as mafia being neutral: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+). On N2, Numbers also investigates Goryani and sees his as neutral or, relative to the absolute perspective, Numbers knows that Goryani is town. Both Laarz and Numbers agree that Goryani is town.

We can continue this chain quite a bit.

As for deceptions, yes, I looked into that quite a bit. What is interesting about deception here is that it bites you in the ass.
If BA was being truthful about his N1:Goryani:Town read, then on N2, Goryani's read of Sath:Mafia actually means that Sath is genuinely town.

However, I believe the chain from Drixx->Numbers->Goryani to be genuine. This mean that if Goryani really investigated Sath as Mafia on N2, then on N3 Sath would see things from a mafia is neutral perspective: (town-)->(mafia*)->(neutral+) and I believe this to be true.... Sath investigates himself as mafia which would make him neutral in a game of no neutrals. Which makes Sath a liar.... OR...

if BA was lying and say he did N1:Goryani:Mafia, then on N2 Goryani's read would mean Sath is neutral centered and when he self investigates.... he ends up actually investigating himself as the mafia he really is :D

... am I wrong? maybe... but I've gone through the vast majority of possible combinations that are possible given the dead town we know and how that restricts results... and it feels like it fits pretty well.

Then to top it all off, the last two comments from BA/Sath pretty much make me think they're scum even without this...
I could actually get behind a Sathoris as scum theory, but there is two problems.

#1 is your nonstop campaign against crackpot theories the entire game until your ass is on the line.

#2 is that this is the most crackpot theory of the entire game and you have the stones to call it simple.

My vote is locked in for today

I could actually get behind a Sathoris as scum theory, but there is two problems.

#1 is your nonstop campaign against crackpot theories the entire game until your ass is on the line.

#2 is that this is the most crackpot theory of the entire game and you have the stones to call it simple.

My vote is locked in for today

Flat out intentional misrepresentation... if you actually bothered comprehending anything, you'll notice that it was the second assertion that I said was simple... which was that it's a bit "convenient" that there is a single odd result on each day and that happens to be the two of you....

BA: So you're saying that you're sure enough that zokar is scum that you'd prefer to force a mislynch(since we need all town to vote for scum if we're going to get them lynched) rather than lynch anyone else?
Laarz: Why did you spend that time yesterday bringing up your theory, but were unwilling to actually vote in favor of the results it suggested? And then today continued to lay suspicion on zokar(through specifically asking for his results first), but still refuse to vote for him?
Sathoris: Do you actually have a reason for any of the votes you've placed so far? I've seen you cycle around with who you're willing to vote for, but I don't believe I've seen a reason for why you believe(d) those players were scummy.
Goryani: Did/Do you have any reason for voting BA in the past, beyond the logical inconsistency of thinking there are lots of cops, and being so vehemently against a no lynch on D1? Do you believe that Zokar's invalid results, which you labelled a lie, are more likely to be honest mistakes, or lies meant to confuse town? If just mistakes, why use the lie language?
Zokar: At what point did this theory of yours coalesce into something you believed in enough to bring up? In spite of the clear inconsistencies pointed out by Goryani? Did you notice those inconsistencies and just dismiss them out of hand, or did you just think they wouldn't be noticed?

BA: So you're saying that you're sure enough that zokar is scum that you'd prefer to force a mislynch(since we need all town to vote for scum if we're going to get them lynched) rather than lynch anyone else?
Laarz: Why did you spend that time yesterday bringing up your theory, but were unwilling to actually vote in favor of the results it suggested? And then today continued to lay suspicion on zokar(through specifically asking for his results first), but still refuse to vote for him?
Sathoris: Do you actually have a reason for any of the votes you've placed so far? I've seen you cycle around with who you're willing to vote for, but I don't believe I've seen a reason for why you believe(d) those players were scummy.
Goryani: Did/Do you have any reason for voting BA in the past, beyond the logical inconsistency of thinking there are lots of cops, and being so vehemently against a no lynch on D1? Do you believe that Zokar's invalid results, which you labelled a lie, are more likely to be honest mistakes, or lies meant to confuse town? If just mistakes, why use the lie language?
Zokar: At what point did this theory of yours coalesce into something you believed in enough to bring up? In spite of the clear inconsistencies pointed out by Goryani? Did you notice those inconsistencies and just dismiss them out of hand, or did you just think they wouldn't be noticed?
Yep! I've seen nothing today to change my mind on who I am voting for, the only other person I could someway somehow be talked into voting for is Sathoris.

Mainly because Zokar isn't locked right now, if sath is town Zokar is scum.

Also with the town of lynching a single person before Mylo I don't really give a crap what the rest of the town thinks.

I will vote today, will you? you could have voted yesterday for Zokar but didn't.

I will vote today, will you? you could have voted yesterday for Zokar but didn't.

Either of us could have, and we both didnt. I wasnt convinced about your theory and didnt see any further reason to think zokar was scum yesterday so I didnt vote for him. His presentation of a theory today, which contains obvious holes, is pushing me to think he may be scum by itself though.

In short, im currently leaning towards voting for Zokar, but im going to be around all day and dont see a reason why I shouldnt see what else, if anything, everyone else has to say so we can use that information in making an informed decision tomorrow.

Either of us could have, and we both didnt. I wasnt convinced about your theory and didnt see any further reason to think zokar was scum yesterday so I didnt vote for him. His presentation of a theory today, which contains obvious holes, is pushing me to think he may be scum by itself though.

In short, im currently leaning towards voting for Zokar, but im going to be around all day and dont see a reason why I shouldnt see what else, if anything, everyone else has to say so we can use that information in making an informed decision tomorrow.

Then I see that we are both on the same page, if Zokar isn't mafia, what can we do tomorrow, it would be 2-2 with a NK and mafia in control it seems to me.

The fact that we didn't lynch Zokar is an absolute joke. I don't even care that it would have led to LYLO today because now we are in MYLO with literally zero mod-confirmed information from lynches. This is pathetic and is not a fun way to play mafia.

If someone has any sort of information they've gotten from their NKs that further clarify the situation I'd love to hear it, but it will almost certainly be a lie unless someone has figured out the mechanic of the game. At this point, I am not keen on lynching anyone today because there is a 66% chance we will lose the game by doing so when tomorrow that number reduces and no one seems interested in actually winning this freaking game for the town.

I will ask because I have not yet gone back and looked, who all investigated numbers on night two? I am of course spitballing, but there IS a mechanic at play here. Is there any chance that if a mafia investigates someone that mafia turns up as the result? I received the following results: town, mafia, town. So Laarz's theory is incorrect.

What changed your thoughts here?(bolded)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High