Confessions of a Glitcher: One strategy to maximize Wealth from CS

Yeah I hate changing player settings in the middle of games. More of a nuisance than I find it cheesy. Is changing wave 2 to player 1 setting for a Blizzard Sorc looked down upon? That was always something I just took for granted, changing wave to to player 1 and then changing Baal to player 3. That is probably why I don't do Baal Runs anymore, I found changing the player settings annoying.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the player settings when wave 2 appears.

When leveling a new Character on Normal Baal Waves it is in fact the best decision to kill the first three waves at p1 since from level 40 or so onward they bring basically no xp and only slow you down with their scattering and annoying 20 minute poison damage. (At least that's how long Achmel's poison feels to me...)

@MizzouFTW Setting up player 1 or whatever cows and then killing them for player 7 or 8 drops is looked down upon right? I never knew about it until I read this thread, but it sounds like way too much cheese. That is the worst out of all of them I have heard lol.

With regards to all of that I don't really want to touch it with a ten foot pole. I would look at Maxicek's post up above. I just wanted to clarify for you that some members look down on lowering player settings for the wave 2 but not all. No idea if it's the majority or minority. After that debacle with fearedbliss I would much rather avoid discussion about it altogether. You're going to want to adhere to what Maxicek says as he has the final word.

Don't wanna dig graves here but what's that debacle you talked about?
Edit: NVM found it. Search is a bliss.

I tried the seal glitch and I just have not found it worth at all and besides it being a lot of "work", it's not really a thing for me to collect monster loot from monsters I didn't kill - even more so when my strategy is to actively not kill them by using the glitch. However, I agree with Fruit on 2 things.
First is, SPF has always seeked for knowledge and understanding of how D2 works and what it's nuances are. Second: we do allow a lot of "cheese" here, since almost none of us play the game the way blizzard delivered it. With that I mean muling tools, RWM and so on. So we shouldn't be too harsh about approaching a new tactic even if it leads us to agreeing not to use it in the future whatsoever.

I found it entertaining and interesting to read through the discoveries made in this thread and that's basically my take from it. Another little D2 mystery tale, no more and no less.

Last edited:
Setting up player 1 or whatever cows and then killing them for player 7 or 8 drops is looked down upon right?
It's not quite that overpowered: When a monster is killed, the game will evaluate the "player_number_when_spawned" with the result of that small formula, and the lesser value will be used. In single-player, p7 will have the formula return p4, so if you spawn a monster at p1 and then increase the game to p7 before killing it, the game ends up evaluating p1 with p4, and then picks p1 because it is lower. Thus, if you spawn monsters at p1, you will have p1 drops, no matter what. If you ask me, increasing the player number before popping a chest is significantly more cheese. (I won't judge if you do it, though. :p)
I just wanted to clarify for you that some members look down on lowering player settings for the wave 2 but not all.
Agreed, it's just subjective in the end. There are things that the SPF allows that I wouldn't use myself because I feel they "cross a line", but there are also things not allowed that I don't feel warrant a ban. But I have no issue accepting that we all a different idea of where these lines lie, and hopefully we can continue discussing opinions and ideas without directly attacking the rules, as I think all the game-mechanic discussions I've followed and participated in during my time here are just as integral to the SPF as all the strategy discussions, guides, etc.

The rules are the rules. These are the limits of what is allowed. The reason for them is complex and involved many hard discussions at Moderator level. They are not voted for by the community.

If you choose to play with a stricter subset of those rules, that is up to you. However don’t go telling other players that they are wrong because they play by something different.

The specific example of changing players settings between Baal waves is a non-issue. It is perfectly within the rules, so nobody should be expressing to anyone a negative opinion about it.

We have players who only play HC untwinked single pass. They do not spend their time preaching to other people that they are not playing correctly, they just quietly get on with playing the game.

This is getting very close to rules debating. Once again rules questions are to be PMed to me & @Thyiad - Not posted in threads.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High