Ouch.

Re: Ouch.

Great news Noodle!! :jig:

I'm glad you managed to get almost everything back (hope all your photos were there!)

Never made any backup, never needed it. Learning how to properly use a computer/OS will help you more in the long run.

What about circumstances where ones use of ones computer has no bearing to the loss of data?

For example say an earthquake occured and the computer got smashed to bits due to falling debris. In this case, a back up via email, CD or external hard drive would be most beneficial.

This next bit may sound preachy but I think its worth saying:

Not to mention, everyone's computer knowledge may not necessarily be as extensive as yours. Please try and keep comments as free from insinuations about people as possible. There is no reason to suspect that Noodle was using his computer improperly and also no need to infer that Noodle cannot use his computer properly. In any case most of the SPF are quite computer literate and sometimes bad things just happen through no fault of our own. Things malfunction, it's just a fact of life.

Earthquakes dont happen where I live (or extremely rarely and of small magnitude). My personal computer holds nothing of value, compared to the computer I use at work. An earthquake that breaks down your computer will most likely crush your precious cds and backup drives...bad example I guess.

There's no need to take it personal either, it was a response to the massive backup paranoia. Things break down, I'm well aware... Taking care of them insures that it does'nt happen all of sudden/before its expected life. I can't agree with your opinion of the user's computer literacy, most are content with enjoying their videogames/music/etc, I know I was back when I bought my first computer, but maybe we dont have the same barem.

Writing it in italics just make it more straining to read.

Let's get back on topic...

Fantastic news, Noodle. :congrats:

I echo the memory stick idea, those flash devices are cheap now. Can I also suggest you download 7zip and just zip the entire save directory and your ATMA stashes on a regular basis and then email them to SiTro. Really easy way to back up; dated and everything in your outbox.

Fixed.

Cheap "gieb" comment aside, I'm glad to hear you got most of the stuff back. With any luck, you won't be in this position again, or at least if you are you'll have prepared recent enough backups to cope.

Never made any backup, never needed it. Learning how to properly use a computer/OS will help you more in the long run.

It has nothing to do with OS. HDDs are moving parts. Moving parts wear and break.

Taking care of them insures that it does'nt happen all of sudden/before its expected life.

Sorry, that's just wrong. As an example: there were a whole batch of hard drives released by a certain manufacturer a few years back that had faulty chips on the controller card that were prone to failing abruptly with no warning. Now, it's possible you could get that data back by just swapping the controller card on the hard drive for a good one, but it nonetheless shows that even the most carefully looked after piece of kit can fail abruptly and unexpectedly. Frankly, I would expect anyone who knows a reasonable amount about computers (as you claim to) to be FIRST in the queue to talk about backups being vital!

This is like saying that there is no reason to use a seat belt, airbag or insurance for your car, as long as you drive properly. Sorry, but the world does not work this way and neither do computers.

Unfortunately no matter how "properly" you use your computer, the risk of events out of your control is always present. Physical parts can fail with no warning or apparent cause, laptops can get stolen, somebody else might screw something up on your computer by accident or on purpose and plain human error on the users part can happen.

If it is imoprtant to you, take backups. ATMA files, photos, music/video collections, work related files, etc. It doesnt take much time and it might save you a lot of grief.

There was really no call for that *deleted post ;)*. And if you don't mind my saying, you are here because you cared enough about DII to register here. And post 557 times. So your last little argument there fails hard.

Glad to hear you didn't lose all your filez Noodle. I'm in a similar boat, but my situation is nowhere near the severity of yours. Suffice to say, backups are good until someone places a magnet on the disk.

*facepalm*

Last edited by a moderator:

With any game I optimize my gaming experience but I'm not one to mourn the loss of an item or a character. 99% of those posts are to give info/feedback or ask a question. The remaining 1% is a slap in the face to those who deserve it, or to keep the moderators busy since they seem to enjoy deleting them.

This post is rated G for a general audience.

You've missed the point - again - AeroGear. By the time you read this post you should've had 3 days to think about it... I hope you did.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High