Ouch.

Noodle

Jul 18, 2003
Ouch.

Came home from work last night, to find that my pc had rebooted itself, probably from some software update. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but last night I found that I'd log on, and it would immediately log me off, like a split second later. I tried starting up in safe mode - no dice. I tried a disk check - no luck either. After a couple of hours, I bit the bullet and re-installed windows. What did I lose? Just about everything. Photo's, music, videos . . . and all my Diablo II characters, and 98% of my ATMA stashes. (I managed to retain some I'd saved to an external hard drive.) Stormlash? Gone. Schaeffer's Hammer? Gone. Windforce? Gone. Full Tal's, IK, Trang's, Mavina's? Gone. Three level 90 - 93 strafers, level 93 trapper, level 93 LF zon, level 93 hammerdin, level 89 necromancer, werewolf druid, werebear druid, wind druid, fanatic zealot, tesla/frostdin, avenger, ww barb, bf-sin, meteorb sorc, blizzsorc, lightning sorc, bone necro, all mats or pats, all gone. I'm reeling. Wow. I may be done until D III.

- Noodle

Re: Ouch.

Sorry for your loss. :(

*goes to make backups*

That really sucks.

I know several applications claim to be able to recover lost files, also after formatting the drive, I just haven't had any luck with the few I've tried. That also means I cannot recommend any. Perhaps someone who sees this can.

Again, really sucks. :(

As I've said before...crashes are Nature's way of telling you to take regular backups!

Ouch, indeed... :hammerhead:

I feel for you, I was once this close *holds fingers together* of losing 2 years worth of photos, texts and stuff. Didn't even realize the savegames at first.. :nervous:

eeek

before you put anything on the new install - do youself a favor and make a partition of about 10-20 gig (space permitting) where you install NOTHING but windows and the page files, etc.

Then install everything else on the new partitiion - thus is this ever happens again - you only lose the registry and windows install - all your data is set.

(assuming the HDD isn't to blame)

:sorry:

Sorry to hear about it dude. Sucks you lost your photo's + videos :(

Aplologies Noodle. I feel for you.

Man, that sucks Noodle. If you need anything, let me know, and I'll do my best to help you out. You sure had a lot of level 93 characters. Is that where you burn out on them?

Sorry to hear about that... Have you found out what caused the problems? :S

Ouch noodle! Let me know If I can do Anything for you, Whether It be sending you all my spares and things! Just let me know so I can pay you back!

have you tried booting a linux live system, if you can still make one (and i assume you can as you can post) you shiould try, if it's not the disk or a virus that deleted everything it could work, so could get your data back... don't know wich one you should pick though, i think any will do, unless you have ery specific hardware... you can download them at sites of major distros... (ubuntu, fedora, knoppix, a few others...)

Spudnik and JRLA, I really appreciate the offers of assistance. At this point I'm going to ask one of the tech guys at work to take a look at it and see if he can reclaim anything. I still don't know what caused it, but I made an additional partition this morning. I'm kicking myself for not making backups on a regular basis.

Thank you all for the support, advice, and offers of assistance.

- Noodle

I'll be honest, my sympathy goes out because of the photos. Fingers crossed for something to come from the techies. Reformatting doesn't necessarily destroy data until those sectors are used again later.

Been there, done that.

Restart is fun. I'm contemplating it once again right now.

That really sucks Noodle...Though it may be possible to recover some things. If you did a "Quick Format" when you reinstalled Windows, all it did was mark all space on your hard drive writable, meaning that if you DII files weren't where Windows installed itself, they're still there(they're just marked as NOT being there, according to Windows). How you recover those, I'm not sure, but I do know it's possible.

Sorry to hear about your loss-it makes my stomach turn to think about lost photos. Having an excuse for a restart is a plus in comparison to that.

eeek

before you put anything on the new install - do youself a favor and make a partition of about 10-20 gig (space permitting) where you install NOTHING but windows and the page files, etc.

Then install everything else on the new partitiion - thus is this ever happens again - you only lose the registry and windows install - all your data is set.

(assuming the HDD isn't to blame)
This is what I do and I haven't had any problems yet, although it's been a couple of years since one of my hard drives last had a funny spell (the BIOS was randomly unable to detect its presence) so I'm probably due for some pain soon. It does make reinstalling Windows much easier, although I used 30GB and have somehow still managed to get over 6GB of game patches, saves and random junk on it.

Sorry to hear you've lost your photos and such.

Two words for all reading this: External Hard Drive and regular back ups to DVD!

Yes, more than two words but you get my drift.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High