OT: What do you believe and why?

Interesting stuff, you guys sure know how to type! I'm also glad to stay out of this morality discussion, my head hurts from reading it, but I do find it very interesting.

One way in which we can estimate the age of the earth is because of carbon dating. This is also how we know how old the fossils we find are, and the sedimentary layers of rock. It is extremely reliable and has a very proven track record. I am no expert on this process (despite having studied it at University), but there is plenty of research out there about it for interested parties. I'm sure someone else (@pharphis you're a chemistry man, yes?) can give a better explanation of it if you are interested.

There is a mass abundance of evolutionary fossils. We'll never fill every single hole in the chain of evolution, simply because having organisms fossilize is a rare occurrence, so you will never have complete documentation of every species throughout history. You can basically take a trip back through time by studying fossils, and watch the transformations happen. I am in no position to do this journey justice, but two books to look into which do a fantastic job are:

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins
Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin

Both are absolutely fantastic and do a wonderful job of showing direct evidence of evolution through fossils over the history of Earth. The Dawkins book is admittedly more of an intensive read, while Shubin's is more accessible to the casual reader.

As for "evolutionary fossils", 2 spring to mind immediately that you can research:
- Tiktaalik - a kind of midway point between fish and tetrapods (4-legged animals)
- Archaeopterix - which highlights the transitional period from dinosaurs to birds

There are also fossils documenting the evolutionary transition of flatfish eyes. You can literally watch the eyes migrate from the standard "one on each side of the head" orientation, to their current iteration of having both eyes on one side of their heads, allowing them to lay flat on the ocean floor and direct their sight upwards. There are more examples, but I won't get into them now.

I don't agree that carbon dating is reliable.

Reference here. I tried to just quote the part that I found most relevant to be slightly succinct, but you can read the article in its entirety if you want.

A critical assumption used in carbon-14 dating has to do with this ratio. It is assumed that the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere has always been the same as it is today (1 to 1 trillion). If this assumption is true, then the AMS 14C dating method is valid up to about 80,000 years. Beyond this number, the instruments scientists use would not be able to detect enough remaining 14C to be useful in age estimates. This is a critical assumption in the dating process. If this assumption is not true, then the method will give incorrect dates. What could cause this ratio to change? If the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere is not equal to the removal rate (mostly through decay), this ratio will change. In other words, the amount of 14C being produced in the atmosphere must equal the amount being removed to be in a steady state (also called “equilibrium”). If this is not true, the ratio of 14C to 12C is not a constant, which would make knowing the starting amount of 14C in a specimen difficult or impossible to accurately determine.

Dr. Willard Libby, the founder of the carbon-14 dating method, assumed this ratio to be constant. His reasoning was based on a belief in evolution, which assumes the earth must be billions of years old. Assumptions in the scientific community are extremely important. If the starting assumption is false, all the calculations based on that assumption might be correct but still give a wrong conclusion.

In Dr. Libby’s original work, he noted that the atmosphere did not appear to be in equilibrium. This was a troubling idea for Dr. Libby since he believed the world was billions of years old and enough time had passed to achieve equilibrium. Dr. Libby’s calculations showed that if the earth started with no 14C in the atmosphere, it would take up to 30,000 years to build up to a steady state (equilibrium).

If the cosmic radiation has remained at its present intensity for 20,000 or 30,000 years, and if the carbon reservoir has not changed appreciably in this time, then there exists at the present time a complete balance between the rate of disintegration of radiocarbon atoms and the rate of assimilation of new radiocarbon atoms for all material in the life-cycle.2
Dr. Libby chose to ignore this discrepancy (nonequilibrium state), and he attributed it to experimental error. However, the discrepancy has turned out to be very real. The ratio of 14C /12C is not constant.

The Specific Production Rate (SPR) of C-14 is known to be 18.8 atoms per gram of total carbon per minute. The Specific Decay Rate (SDR) is known to be only 16.1 disintegrations per gram per minute.3
What does this mean? If it takes about 30,000 years to reach equilibrium and 14C is still out of equilibrium, then maybe the earth is not very old.

Magnetic Field of the Earth
Other factors can affect the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere. The earth has a magnetic field around it which helps protect us from harmful radiation from outer space. This magnetic field is decaying (getting weaker). The stronger the field is around the earth, the fewer the number of cosmic rays that are able to reach the atmosphere. This would result in a smaller production of 14C in the atmosphere in earth’s past.

The cause for the long term variation of the C-14 level is not known. The variation is certainly partially the result of a change in the cosmic ray production rate of radiocarbon. The cosmic-ray flux, and hence the production rate of C-14, is a function not only of the solar activity but also of the magnetic dipole moment of the Earth.4Though complex, this history of the earth’s magnetic field agrees with Barnes’ basic hypothesis, that the field has always freely decayed.... The field has always been losing energy despite its variations, so it cannot be more than 10,000 years old.5Earth’s magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say.6
If the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere was less in the past, dates given using the carbon-14 method would incorrectly assume that more 14C had decayed out of a specimen than what has actually occurred. This would result in giving older dates than the true age.

Genesis Flood
What role might the Genesis Flood have played in the amount of carbon? The Flood would have buried large amounts of carbon from living organisms (plant and animal) to form today’s fossil fuels (coal, oil, etc.). The amount of fossil fuels indicates there must have been a vastly larger quantity of vegetation in existence prior to the Flood than exists today. This means that the biosphere just prior to the Flood might have had 500 times more carbon in living organisms than today. This would further dilute the amount of 14C and cause the 14C/12C ratio to be much smaller than today.

If that were the case, and this C-14 were distributed uniformly throughout the biosphere, and the total amount of biosphere C were, for example, 500 times that of today’s world, the resulting C-14/C-12 ratio would be 1/500 of today’s level....7
When the Flood is taken into account along with the decay of the magnetic field, it is reasonable to believe that the assumption of equilibrium is a false assumption.

Because of this false assumption, any age estimates using 14C prior to the Flood will give much older dates than the true age. Pre-Flood material would be dated at perhaps ten times the true age.

I was more looking for evolutionary fossils showing single cell---> human. I already stated I believe in "micro" evolution.

@BBS_Agonistes I don't believe there is an objective moral truth or however that is best worded. I'm not sure if this puts me under one kind of relativism or another because I've read almost nothing about the philosophy behind it. In other words, I don't believe in "good" and "evil", though I definitely use those words out of convenience.

I don't know what "evolutionary fossils" are, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be some gap (transitional species...?) between different species. If that's what you're referring to, we have literally thousands of such fossils. Ofc, we shouldn't expect to find fossils of every generation of every species ever because the conditions under which fossilization take place are limited, and resources are limited, too.

There are several different dating methods used to determine the age of the earth and the sun and other things. I don't like to just say "watch more of those videos" but he will explain it much more simply than me. Plus, it's not my expertise. Ofc, most of this is also introduced reasonably well on wikipedia and other places

What's in the box? :p

See above for my response. Yes, I meant transitional fossils.

I found this video, Since you didn't leave me one to watch :p It kinda ties into my distrust of carbon dating above I suppose. But I'll admit, I'm no scientist, and these things aren't always easily understandable. As a lay person on a subject I am inclined to believe the experts, which is why most people agree with your theories and not mine.

Don't you find it ironic that he never proves that I don't actually know what's inside the box?

I'm open for reading and getting to know about different religions, they somewhat interest me. It's good to know what others think about this world. But in the end they are all just stories to me, like I don't know why I should think for example the Bible is any more credible than any other mythology or belief, in explaining the God the universe and all.

Peace to those that find happiness and calmness for the mind from some religion. Unfortunately, I think that many many religions, and religious organizations (churchs, sects etc.) are just used for getting more money and power. Remember that.

The Bible has proven to be a credible source of information by other historical documents, for one. Nothing that the Bible states can be proven to be inaccurate. This is not the case with many other books (I'm no expert, but I know many of them have things that have been proven inaccurate)

Organized religion is indeed responsible for some real bad stuff, and is often only after money and power. I'm reluctant to call myself a Christian for those reasons.

I especially don't think that the bible is clear when it comes to moral questions, because from what I've heard and read it specifically condones slavery, for example. There is a commandment about murder but there are many verses where god explicitly commands people to murder. If that's "objective", I don't know what isn't. I think this point of mine is related to the Euthyphro dilemma which I'm sure you're familiar with.

I do think that what we consider to be moral or not is strictly a function of our culture and how we are raised. I won't pretend that I KNOW that's the case, but I find no reason compelling so far to think it is otherwise.

Something important to consider is that just because someone does something in the Bible doesn't mean its God's desire. The Bible condones slavery for only one reason that I can think of (there may be more, just going from memory) If you couldn't pay your debts or similar situations you could be subject to slavery. This was only for a specific time frame though, I think 7 years max. The Bible never condones racial slavery, which is what we easily define the word as these days. It also says that you should treat your slaves well (paraphrase)

(Murder: wikipedia) I can't think of anything that God commanded that doesn't fit into this definition. Do you think that the death penalty is murder? war? (Not trying to start a tangent discussion, just curious)

I'll respond to the rest later (you too, BBS), but for now I want to point out that I meant for you to watch other portions of this series to understand why we know the age of the earth and other details.

(part 5, specifically). I think my previous link was to a single video and not a playlist :p

You reference AiG, which I frankly will reject as a reliable source because they are not a reliable source. From their mission statement:

By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information. Source

This is called being closed-minded. They are assuming they are correct no matter what and simply trying to justify it anyway they can and ignoring anything else because they "can't" be wrong. There's a reason creation "scientists" aren't taken seriously in the scientific community.

I don't have the expertise to go through their arguments so I won't pretend to be able to. My understanding that AiG's main problem with carbon-dating is the "assumption" that the atmosphere always contained exactly the same amount of C14, but that appears to be a strawman because scientists who do carbon dating do in fact account for this taking other sources into account (such as tree ring C14 content)
I want to make it clear that the age of the earth isn't determined through carbon dating, though it does have relevance to dating some fossils.

@kestegs - I just want to let you know that I have read your post, and will respond. I unfortunately don't have the time now (I also want to give myself time to fully read the article you posted), and most likely won't over the weekend. So as long as you don't mind an extended game of discussion-tag, I'll get back to you in full next week! :)

In the meantime, others are more than welcome to take a stab at some of the problems you have with evolution and carbon dating. As I have stated, I am no expert on carbon dating, but evolution is something I have studied fairly thoroughly and will try my best to explain my position on it while trying to clear up some of the problems you have with it. I will say this now, if you are hoping to get fossils of the transition from single-celled bacterium to multi-cellular beings, and steps along the evolutionary path at even fairly reliable intervals, you will not find them.

Fossilization is a terribly rare occurence even with species that have "proper" skeletons (ie. bones, not cartilage). The softer tissues (typically) don't fossilize as they are broken down extremely easily, which becomes a problem when you try to find fossils of organisms that don't have bones (or bone-like structures) in the first place.

That said, there is still evidence that (in my opinion at least) is quite convincing (and very interesting to boot!) that evolution began with single-celled organisms, and I will try to explain that next week.

I want to make it clear that the age of the earth isn't determined through carbon dating, though it does have relevance to dating some fossils.

This is my fault for wording it incorrectly, and thank you for correcting me. I was in a rush and used a general term in a more potent way than it was intended. As I stated before, next week I will try to get to it in full and lay out some of the ways in which C-14 dating, and some other methods of dating that span greater lengths through geological time, provide evidence to back up my statements.

I will take a backseat for the old earth / evolution / creation conversation and watch while eating popcorn. I find it interesting, although ultimately my views on the age of the earth and evolution don't really have anything to do with my views on God. C.S. Lewis actually believed in evolution and an old earth. So, interesting topics for sure, but they don't (for me) influence my belief in God either way.

I will take a backseat for the old earth / evolution / creation conversation and watch while eating popcorn. I find it interesting, although ultimately my views on the age of the earth and evolution don't really have anything to do with my views on God. C.S. Lewis actually believed in evolution and an old earth. So, interesting topics for sure, but they don't (for me) influence my belief in God either way.
Well, that is the first foundational falsehood of creationism :p
(evolution = atheism)

Well, yes--I suppose that's kind of my caution about the issue. Creationism generally starts out as an exercise in apologetics, but I'm afraid for some it actually creates a barrier for believing in God, as they feel that they must either choose to agree with scientific consensus or choose God, which is obviously a false dichotomy.

For me, I don't really have a Ph.D. in Biology, so I don't expect to be able to understand all the various arguments and make a judgment on what is most likely to be correct. In matter of theology, intellectual history, literature, and philosophy, it has taken my reading thousands of pages of scholarly work to get a clear idea of specific debates within one discipline, so I don't really expect a YT video or someone's post on a website (on evolution or creation) to really explain the complexities of the issue properly. I believe the Bible was written in an essentially literal way, although certainly Christ speaks in parables, and as I said before, it's clear that a day in the creation story doesn't refer to a day as in the earth rotating one revolution, since the earth wasn't created yet. Beyond that, I don't really know how it all works, I just know that it seems to be a relatively minor theological issue--i.e., if in the afterlife, I find out that it wasn't a 24 hour day, I don't think that I'll look back at my life and see many moral decisions that would have been changed by that. So, I could pour a lot of effort into trying to understand this issue, but I don't think a different understanding of it would change the way I live my life, make ethical decisions, etc.

Good to see such a friendly and in depth discussion here, these things turn ugly all too often.

I'm agnostic/atheist, just like my parents. From my point of view religion is best explained by sociological factors.
This kind of argument is somewehere in "Guns germs and steel" by Jared Diamond. The argument is that in small tribes conflicts are resolved by someone who knows both parties(or by violence).
As tribes get larger this kind of conflict resolution no longer works so a tribe which develops an advanced religion which gives specific social norms and gives authority to religious figures gets a big survival advantage.

The sociologist Yuval Harari said said something like: "If you put me on an island with a chimp, the chip wins. If you put 100 people and 100 chips on an island the people win".

I can't really say I'm a huge fan of the work of Harari and Diamond. I don't have any beef with them because of their basic approach. Though I am a Christian, many of my favorite writers/thinkers are secular ones like Bourdieu, Foucault, and Althusser.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I just can't really be a fan of pop-science / pop-academic works like Sapiens: A Brief History or Guns, Germs, and Steel. It just seems like these authors write to a popular audience as a crutch. They say, "Well, this is for a general audience, so we'll make it easier to read," and then the result is really just bad academic work: huge, general claims that aren't adequately backed up in research, restatements of old arguments that have been made decades or even centuries ago by other authors, and broad statements about other disciplines where they have no expertise. These books sound really great to a layman who isn't familiar with the discipline, and of course they sell a lot better than actual scholarly work, but it seems like to me a way for a mediocre scholar to make quick money and gain some fame--things it's difficult to obtain in academia proper without being extremely intelligent and doing a ton of hard work. These works really aren't propelling the scholarly study of these disciplines--they are just entertaining the general public.

EDIT: Just to be clear--I'm not trying to discredit your view, TreeOfSmoke. I'm just saying the claims Diamond and Harari are making have been stated long ago and many, many times before by Marxist thinkers everywhere. And I don't mean Marxism in the political sense, but as it has been practiced in the various disciplines of the humanities and social sciences.

Last edited:
Good to hear you have read both of them, I must say I've not read anything by Harari, only two of Diamonds books.
As far as I know Diamonds work is based on a large number of scientific articles. I'm not an expert in anthropology (math MSc here), but as far as I can see most of the sienctific and historic facts in his books are correct.

For me this kind of view of history gives a reasonable explanation of the emergence of religion.
Much more recently we have seen the emergence of a couple of new religions( for example scientology and jehovas witnesses).

I should note that these kinds of arguments say nothing about a possible existence of a god/creator/programmer/designer, only about organised religion.

@BBS_Agonistes Related to the lack of expertise you mention, I'm wondering if you find any of the cosmological arguments compelling? (I think there is the Kalam and then fine-tuning by names but I could be wrong here). Regardless of your answer, you might find a debate (I know, usually not the best source for academic discussion) worth listening to. William Lane Craig vs. Sean Carroll (a cosmologist...)

It's interesting hearing exactly why these arguments fail, for once, since there are very few cosmologists who ever have the opportunity/bother to participate in these debates.

@TreeOfSmoke Actually, you know what--I take back what I wrote regarding Harari and Diamond. I think my main annoyance may have been unjustified, because I do think it is good to educate the public. I was thinking about it while at the gym today and I realized that C. S. Lewis's The Problem of Pain is actually a perfect example of this type of work: it addresses the philosophical/theological problem of evil, but Lewis is ultimately a scholar of literature, though he is quite knowledgeable about philosophy and theology. I think that has been a very helpful book, even though (as Lewis himself states in the Introduction) basically the book is just a restatement of past work on the subject. Lewis just summarizes it an expresses it extremely well for a general audience, which doesn't ultimately seem a bad thing.

I think essentially I was a bit annoyed at the fame they have gotten when other, more serious academics, remain fairly unknown. But that's just how those things go--really specialized academic books are never going to be best sellers!

And of course, I do recognize that much of religion IS socially constructed. Unless I'm a total theistic pluralist, which I'm not, my belief that one religion is true means that I believe other religions are just socially constructed. And, there are many elements of Christianity that are not scriptural, and have been socially constructed, so even from my viewpoint of affirming absolute truth, and affirming basic Christianity, I still agree that much of religion is socially constructed.

@pharphis I will have to take a look at that cosmology material when I get a chance! I don't think I'm very familiar with any of it, so I don't have an opinion off the top of my head, but I'll let you know what I think.

I'll respond to the rest later (you too, BBS), but for now I want to point out that I meant for you to watch other portions of this series to understand why we know the age of the earth and other details.

(part 5, specifically). I think my previous link was to a single video and not a playlist :p

You reference AiG, which I frankly will reject as a reliable source because they are not a reliable source. From their mission statement:

By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information. Source

This is called being closed-minded. They are assuming they are correct no matter what and simply trying to justify it anyway they can and ignoring anything else because they "can't" be wrong. There's a reason creation "scientists" aren't taken seriously in the scientific community.

I don't have the expertise to go through their arguments so I won't pretend to be able to. My understanding that AiG's main problem with carbon-dating is the "assumption" that the atmosphere always contained exactly the same amount of C14, but that appears to be a strawman because scientists who do carbon dating do in fact account for this taking other sources into account (such as tree ring C14 content)

Well, AiG meshes perfectly with my beliefs, so sorry? :p
To me the Bible is fact. I approach it as: The Bible says this happened, so how does science back that up. Yes, that sounds incredibly closed minded, but science has not proven my view to be wrong. I do not want to stop research and scientific things, as they do a great job of showing how amazing God's creation is.

I also don't think you ever expressed why you don't believe there was ever a flood, can you reference or explain that?

@kestegs - I just want to let you know that I have read your post, and will respond. I unfortunately don't have the time now (I also want to give myself time to fully read the article you posted), and most likely won't over the weekend. So as long as you don't mind an extended game of discussion-tag, I'll get back to you in full next week! :)

In the meantime, others are more than welcome to take a stab at some of the problems you have with evolution and carbon dating. As I have stated, I am no expert on carbon dating, but evolution is something I have studied fairly thoroughly and will try my best to explain my position on it while trying to clear up some of the problems you have with it. I will say this now, if you are hoping to get fossils of the transition from single-celled bacterium to multi-cellular beings, and steps along the evolutionary path at even fairly reliable intervals, you will not find them.

Fossilization is a terribly rare occurence even with species that have "proper" skeletons (ie. bones, not cartilage). The softer tissues (typically) don't fossilize as they are broken down extremely easily, which becomes a problem when you try to find fossils of organisms that don't have bones (or bone-like structures) in the first place.

That said, there is still evidence that (in my opinion at least) is quite convincing (and very interesting to boot!) that evolution began with single-celled organisms, and I will try to explain that next week.

This is my fault for wording it incorrectly, and thank you for correcting me. I was in a rush and used a general term in a more potent way than it was intended. As I stated before, next week I will try to get to it in full and lay out some of the ways in which C-14 dating, and some other methods of dating that span greater lengths through geological time, provide evidence to back up my statements.

That's fine, no rush! I do know that a full fossil record would be completely unrealistic, that's not what I was expecting.

How is your view of God not affected by your view of evolution/age of the earth?

I'm curious what your views of these things are.

Here's a compelling argument as to why the earth is 6000ish years old. This is really only useful for creationists, but anyone can read it of course. It gives some in depth analysis of the meaning of the words in Genesis and such.

Well, that is the first foundational falsehood of creationism :p
(evolution = atheism)

When I use the word evolution I almost always mean from single cell---->man. And in that sense I believe it has to be evolution=atheism. Although maybe not all religions/gods claim to have created everything, not sure.

This video follows the same format as the last one you posted.
1. Humorously belittle Christians/creationists
2. Present "evidence"
3. Further belittle Christians/creationists
4. ???
5. Profit?

And for the record, he repeatedly eludes to Catholicism=Christianity. This is not true, but I know that they want you to believe it is.

Well, yes--I suppose that's kind of my caution about the issue. Creationism generally starts out as an exercise in apologetics, but I'm afraid for some it actually creates a barrier for believing in God, as they feel that they must either choose to agree with scientific consensus or choose God, which is obviously a false dichotomy.

For me, I don't really have a Ph.D. in Biology, so I don't expect to be able to understand all the various arguments and make a judgment on what is most likely to be correct. In matter of theology, intellectual history, literature, and philosophy, it has taken my reading thousands of pages of scholarly work to get a clear idea of specific debates within one discipline, so I don't really expect a YT video or someone's post on a website (on evolution or creation) to really explain the complexities of the issue properly. I believe the Bible was written in an essentially literal way, although certainly Christ speaks in parables, and as I said before, it's clear that a day in the creation story doesn't refer to a day as in the earth rotating one revolution, since the earth wasn't created yet. Beyond that, I don't really know how it all works, I just know that it seems to be a relatively minor theological issue--i.e., if in the afterlife, I find out that it wasn't a 24 hour day, I don't think that I'll look back at my life and see many moral decisions that would have been changed by that. So, I could pour a lot of effort into trying to understand this issue, but I don't think a different understanding of it would change the way I live my life, make ethical decisions, etc.

Apologetics can certainly create a barrier. As with most debates, people only become further entrenched in their previous view. As I said above, God and scientific consensus are not necessarily opposing, but they certainly can be.

I referenced your creation views above, but Genesis 1 says he created the heavens and the earth before it ever says Day 1, so I'm not sure that makes sense. And of course you are right, whether you believe in a literal 7 days or not is not going to change your final destination.

Well, AiG meshes perfectly with my beliefs, so sorry? :p
To me the Bible is fact. I approach it as: The Bible says this happened, so how does science back that up. Yes, that sounds incredibly closed minded, but science has not proven my view to be wrong. I do not want to stop research and scientific things, as they do a great job of showing how amazing God's creation is.

I also don't think you ever expressed why you don't believe there was ever a flood, can you reference or explain that?

Here's a compelling argument as to why the earth is 6000ish years old. This is really only useful for creationists, but anyone can read it of course. It gives some in depth analysis of the meaning of the words in Genesis and such.

When I use the word evolution I almost always mean from single cell---->man. And in that sense I believe it has to be evolution=atheism. Although maybe not all religions/gods claim to have created everything, not sure.

This video follows the same format as the last one you posted.
1. Humorously belittle Christians/creationists
2. Present "evidence"
3. Further belittle Christians/creationists
4. ???
5. Profit?

And for the record, he repeatedly eludes to Catholicism=Christianity. This is not true, but I know that they want you to believe it is.
It doesn't just sound closed-minded, it is closed-minded by definition. Also, usually the burden of proof lies on the person making the claim. So if someone claims a global flood happened, they better have good reason to believe it. Ofc, a holy book is no better an explanation than any other holy book, so that leaves us at square one. I don't think you or many people are truly closed-minded, either. I think you just believe your stance can't change. Ofc, I also recognize that the chance of me changing your stance is very small. Seeds of doubt blah blah you get the picture.

Once again, I'm going to refer to Peter Hadfield's videos which address the global flood hypothesis:
(it's a 2-parter). He doesn't address every problem (there are many), but if you're curious enough I can fish out some of his or other people's articles or videos that explain the problem. You won't like that he refers to AiG. He sticks to what we have observed, in this pair of videos, rather than random ideas or other problems regarding this we haven't or cannot observe.

I'll give this AiG article a read after I go for a walk. I'm curious about what they say but I suspect it will be 1) assert it is is true and 2) ignore whatever contradicts it.

Well as I believe was explained in that video (I could be wrong, I saw it quite awhile ago), there are many religions and gods for said religions that don't have to reject evolution. This is true for many Christians and Catholics, as well. For biblical literalists, ofc you have to reject it.

Under at least some definitions of Christianity (follower of Christ?) Catholicism is a subset of Christianity. I suspect that just some sects reject this. BTW< if you have a title for the sect that you're in I'd like to know. Especially if biblical literalism is the defining feature.

BRB

Apologetics can certainly create a barrier. As with most debates, people only become further entrenched in their previous view. As I said above, God and scientific consensus are not necessarily opposing, but they certainly can be.

I referenced your creation views above, but Genesis 1 says he created the heavens and the earth before it ever says Day 1, so I'm not sure that makes sense. And of course you are right, whether you believe in a literal 7 days or not is not going to change your final destination.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, in Genesis 1, the earth is created, but the sun doesn't govern the day and night yet--that happens a few days later. That doesn't mean it's not a 24 hour period, but it also seems that the concept of day existed before the earth had days in the sense we refer to them now, if that makes sense. So, there could be a cosmic concept of a day that preceded our actual days, just as many concepts on earth mirror concepts in the heavenly realm. *If* a cosmic/prehistory day existed, I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than 24 hours. But again, that's just speculation, and part of the reason I don't have super concrete views in this area is because I just don't know.

Let me be clear, though: I don't let scientific consensus dictate the way I read the Bible (exegesis) anymore than I let science dictate the reason I practice any other discrete discipline: literary criticism, philosophy, theology, or historiography. Scientific consensus can be a dangerous thing, and it is quite often mistaken. If it was not--well, then science would never progress. Only half a century ago, the steady state theory was quite popular. I'm not quite sure when it lost its dominance, but I won't be surprised if there is another paradigm shift in scientific consensus in this area within my own lifetime. So, if science doesn't line up with a particular part of scripture, I don't think that means I have to shift my entire approach to scripture to some hazy, higher criticism approach, just to account for a single anomaly that could be accounted for in some other way.

In any case, scientific consensus has become more biblical over the past century. In my view, the steady state theory was far more incompatible with creation and a creator. Now scientists claim that the universe someone existed in an extremely compacted state and then exploded into being all of a sudden--sounds quite close to the process of creation to me.

Last edited:
I was more looking for evolutionary fossils showing single cell---> human. I already stated I believe in "micro" evolution.

See above for my response. Yes, I meant transitional fossils.

Don't you find it ironic that he never proves that I don't actually know what's inside the box?

The Bible has proven to be a credible source of information by other historical documents, for one. Nothing that the Bible states can be proven to be inaccurate. This is not the case with many other books (I'm no expert, but I know many of them have things that have been proven inaccurate)

Something important to consider is that just because someone does something in the Bible doesn't mean its God's desire. The Bible condones slavery for only one reason that I can think of (there may be more, just going from memory) If you couldn't pay your debts or similar situations you could be subject to slavery. This was only for a specific time frame though, I think 7 years max. The Bible never condones racial slavery, which is what we easily define the word as these days. It also says that you should treat your slaves well (paraphrase)

(Murder: wikipedia) I can't think of anything that God commanded that doesn't fit into this definition. Do you think that the death penalty is murder? war? (Not trying to start a tangent discussion, just curious)
(some stuff removed I already responded to or not directed to me)
I didn't include your later comment on evolution, but if you understand that fossilization is difficult and rare process and (presumably) know that we have thousands of fossils regarding the ancestry of humans, I don't know exactly what you want.

No I don't find it ironic. The point was to illustrate that our best method for making predictions about the universe involve observation of said universe, producing models that allow us to make reliable predictions and refining those models as we increase our knowledge-base.

"The Bible has proven to be a credible source of information by other historical documents, for one. Nothing that the Bible states can be proven to be inaccurate. This is not the case with many other books (I'm no expert, but I know many of them have things that have been proven inaccurate)"
I think this is completely unsubstantiated. If it wasn't, people wouldn't have to assume god first, then accept the evidence that agrees with them and reject anything else. But on another line of thought... do you mean that the bible CANNOT be proven wrong (to any degree), or do you think it's possible that it can but it has not? I think you mean the former but I don't want a minor issue in language to confuse me.

On slavery: I think it is a myth that the bible condones treating slaves well. I try to avoid referencing rationalwiki but they put a lot of relevant passages in one place so here we go: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Bible#Beating_slaves
Also, I think it is in fact racial slavery because afaik slavery involves anyone outside of Israel. Here is one cartoon I found entertaining regarding this kind of slavery:

Make that two, actually (parody of the King's Speech):
(bible verses are referenced throughout the video)
As a slight aside, the US makes a big deal about the "10 commandments" which could have and should have explicitly banned slavery instead of wasting the first several imo.

On murder: I think we're going to disagree on what is "justified". You probably think that god has ultimate authority on who deserves to die, when, and how, so any commandments from god are justified. I disagree on this point, and especially on verses that involve killing children who obviously shouldn't be held accountable for whatever actions they supposedly are. One of the most well-known is the Egyptian infanticide.
"And at midnight the LORD killed all the firstborn sons in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn son of the captive in the dungeon. Even the firstborn of their livestock were killed. Pharaoh and his officials and all the people of Egypt woke up during the night, and loud wailing was heard throughout the land of Egypt. There was not a single house where someone had not died. (Exodus 12:29-30 NLT)"

http://godandscience.org/youngearth/six_days_of_creation.html

4) Day (yôm) with a Number

Hebrew scholars acknowledge the word translated “day” (yôm) has several literal meanings: daylight, day, time, moment, or long era of time. The question is which definition of yôm did the Genesis author intend? Biblical Hebrew has a very limited vocabulary–approximately 3,100 words compared to over 4,000,000 English words.43 In English, we have many words to describe a long period of time. However, biblical Hebrew has no word other than yôm to denote a long time-span.44

can anyone here hebrew?

Last edited:
@pharphis, I do actually have responses for most of the issues you raise--the rationalwiki is really a terrible example of textual interpretation written by someone who has a clear agenda. One issue is that Old Testament law put boundaries on actions, but that did not mean it condoned everything that was not punishable by law. For example, adultery is quite wrong IMO, but in the U.S. we don't have any laws that criminalize adultery. That doesn't mean that everyone in the American justice system condones adultery and thinks it is perfectly fine. That's why the laws made in the Old Testament for governing a nation cannot be regarded as enharmonic with the moral teaching of the New Testament.

Now, I'm packing to leave for a week long trip first thing in the morning, so it's a bit crazy today, and I can't raise too many points because I know I won't have access to the internet for a while, so I'm not going to be able to respond. I also have read through many Ehrman/Dawkin's-esque books, and I know we could go on cherry-picking tricky scriptures for a long time. My position isn't that there aren't any scriptures that are difficult to interpret, but merely that the bulk of scripture preaches a morality that is wonderful, and I believe the difficult ones can be interpreted quite clearly in light of this, even if I don't have time or space here to address every single one individually.

So I'll just say this:

You've already stated that morality is socially constructed. Murder is a subset of ending human life--it is unethical, unjustified killing. You, and others, have already stated that ending a life may be ethical in certain situations, circumstances, traditions, cultures. If you then turn to the ethical system prescribed by the Bible, and then attempt to judge God by some other set of standards, I feel you need to account for this. You state:

On murder: I think we're going to disagree on what is "justified". You probably think that god has ultimate authority on who deserves to die, when, and how, so any commandments from god are justified.

Have you changed your position from earlier in this thread? You originally stated morality is ultimately subjective, and that there isn't any absolute right or wrong, but now you are postulating a system of morality that would even trump God if you believed he existed.

As it stood, even other humans could not be required to submit to the morality you postulated, but now I'm interested in what all-powerful universal moral law you're making an appeal to here in order to criminalize the Christian God. How has morality moved from being a non-absolute, subjective, culturally-constructed set of beliefs that humans can't ultimately be judged by, to an absolute, objective, universal concept that God can be judged by?

EDIT: We finally face the Euthyphro dilemma you mentioned earlier! :D

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the perspectives being fleshed out here. But I think it's important to note that, when involving The Bible, mistranslations and disconnects are bound to happen. And that it isn't truly fair to take literally words that you yourself do not believe are true to formulate your own argument that counters said words.

And I'm not sure how to feel about using comedic parodies of scripture as replacement of genuine argument, or that somebody else can construct your own perspective better than you. (Especially with the amount of confirmation bias and ingenuous arguments that float out there on the internets)
When videos are titled "Falsehood with Creationism", "Noah's Flood: debunked", "Bible Slavery: TOTALLY DIFFERENT", and is intentionally using pictures like an important symbol like God reading from a transcript in an attempt to ridicule that belief, I do not believe those perspectives to be genuine, nor to be genuinely interested in honest, meaningful understanding or discussion.

To me the Bible is fact. I approach it as: The Bible says this happened, so how does science back that up. Yes, that sounds incredibly closed minded, but science has not proven my view to be wrong.

That is indeed close minded, but let's leave that at side for now. Approach you described is exactly opposite of scientific. Scientific approach is first to prove something by experiment, then it can be confirmed as fact. Your approach is first claim something is fact, and then seek evidence for why is it fact (where you don't even seek evidence is it really a fact. Hey, it is fact that in the middle of the Earth aliens live and teleport among us to study us, now I seek scientific evidence of why is that fact because I know and feel that it is fact). In other words, science cannot prove your view to be wrong because your view contradicts scientific approach which is required to prove you wrong at the first place. So that won't happen, ever, unless you develop more scientific approach to the matter.

Also things in science work at confirming the truth, and not at proving something wrong unless two things are mutually connected and if both cannot be true at the same time. Then science is going to confirm that one thing is true and that way we could logically conclude that other thing must be wrong.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High