OT: What do you believe and why?

I accept the Bible mostly literally, but it cannot be taken completely literally, as God doesn't exactly fit into a literal box. I do not believe anything in the Bible is wrong, the Bible is fact to me. I have never seen anything disproved in it to a high enough degree. ( I didn't read all of that site, but I know there are a couple things that could likely be translation errors and such like that) I'm not sure where you get the light/plants confusion. Light was on day 1 and plants were on day 3. Here's a cute picture of the basic outline of it.
edit: That is confusing I guess. He created light on day 1, but the sun on day 4. Even without the sun, plants aren't going to die in a day.

I don't know how the Bible contradicts germ theory. I do believe it contradicts evolution on the scale it is currently taught. I believe that God made us to change and adapt, but we did not evolve from a single cell to what we currently are. As stated before, I believe God made everything as the Bible states. Both of our beliefs are theories at this point, neither have been proven or disproven by science. To ME the Bible has been proven, but I know the world is not me.

And my phone is broken, so I'll have less of a chance to respond to things, so be patient with me. I would probably respond to some other stuff if I had more time, but I don't.
Well if you consider it to be 1 day literally then no it wouldn't be a problem for plants... but that disagrees with science. We know the sun is older than the Earth, for example, and the difference is significantly more than a few hours or days. We know that there was not a global flood, either...

Evolution has been "proven" as much as you can "prove" something through science. (technically, we only disprove hypotheses). Evolution is the best model we have for predicting and understanding for example DNA, the fossil record, locations and time-stamps of fossils... it all fits together perfectly. It agrees with multiple other scientific fields, too. Evolution is a "theory" only under the scientific understanding of what a theory is, not the layman definition. Same as gravity...

I'll respond to the rest later. I do agree that much of the contradictions could be handwaved away because of translation or other issues but certainly not all of them.

You are all wrong. There is no God but RNG, and the Afterhorker is his prophet.
"Believe in Afterhorker / and you shall be rewarded" (Psalms, 12:3)

Just to add to my previous comment:

I highly recommend potholer54's series Our Origins Made Easy (14 parts, 10 mins each...) for anyone who doubts our scientific understanding of anything regarding our origins (the universe, earth, evolution, etc.). It explains this clearly and in perfect detail for a layman audience. It's also very cosmos-esque

I highly recommend potholer54's series Our Origins Made Easy (14 parts, 10 mins each...) for anyone who doubts our scientific understanding of anything regarding our origins (the universe, earth, evolution, etc.). It explains this clearly and in perfect detail for a layman audience. It's also very cosmos-esque

I personally enjoy to follow Darkmatter2525 on youtube, really funny and provoking videos. The Samson trilogy is pure gold.

I personally enjoy to follow Darkmatter2525 on youtube, really funny and provoking videos. The Samson trilogy is pure gold.
Ya they're great and easy to digest. They're cartoons, after all :p
Almost all of the problems he raises are on a very straight-forward level that everyone should be able to understand, whether or not they agree with the criticisms. Nonstampcollector is good, too.

Just to clarify some starting places: what I’m hearing many espouse in this thread is essentially philosophical naturalism, the belief that the material world is the only world, and that the natural sciences are the primary way to know truth. In the world of thought, analytic philosophy most easily meshes with this way of looking at the universe. As for attitudes toward God, atheism or a fairly negative agnosticism goes along with this way of looking at the universe. When I usually get into discussions of religion with people who are eager to debate with me, they generally come from this viewpoint: philosophical naturalist, atheist/agnostic, and their philosophy is mostly in the analytic tradition.

Before we begin, we should nod to the unseen, third dog in this fight: the tradition of continental philosophy, which accounts for a huge range of secular thought, but rejects the natural sciences as the primary way of knowing truth.

But back to the debate at hand: to avoid rehashing age-old arguments on the subject, I’ll just give you an idea of how my discussions with naturalists have often gone down. Often, the naturalist will attack religion on many fronts: the evils committed in the name of religion, contradictions within the sacred text, or science’s disproving of religious truths. As for the latter two, the conversation generally degenerates into a rehashing of previous arguments over textual data. I’ve researched this extensively and I’ve yet to meet a convincing argument against scriptural accounts. Most of these are based on a willful misreading of scripture in the hopes of making it contradict itself. If anyone in the thread would like to raise specific examples, I’m quite happy to respond to them, but as I’ve said—I’ve read Ehrman and others, and haven’t yet found an argument that wasn’t answered centuries ago by theologians as early as Aquinas. The problem is that most people haven’t read these texts: my edition of Summa Theologica runs over 4,000 pages, and I can’t honestly say I’ve read every word on every page myself.

Generally, the naturalist will give up this line of questioning when it becomes clear that we could talk about this for ages as we slowly work our way through the interpretation of Scripture. I don’t blame them—if I didn’t believe in the Bible, I wouldn’t be interested in slowly culling through scripture in order to disprove it. I’d begin by assuming that it was false, so unless someone showed me a good reason for its veracity, I wouldn’t spend a lot of time on it.

So the discussion turns to the evils of religion. This also usually degenerates. The naturalist will cite the Crusades, American slavery, and so on. The Christian will respond that of course they were monstrosities, they actually violate Christian morality, and he does not condone them. Then the Christian will add that secular movements and leaders have also committed great atrocities, probably beginning the list at Stalin. The atheist/agnostic will respond that someone’s disbelief in something doesn’t cause them to commit atrocities. They will say an atheist serial killer’s lack of belief in unicorns doesn’t cause him to murder anymore than his lack of belief in God does.

Here is where it gets interesting. When I press most atheist/agnostic naturalists about their own personal ethics, they generally respond by saying that we shouldn’t need a God to tell us how to be kind. Generally, what it boils down to is that they have their own ethical understanding of the world, and they act according to this. While naturalists may be extremely rigorous in their demands of Christianity—scrutinizing the sacred text, demanding an explanation for philosophical problems like the problem of evil, demanding a perfect alignment between scripture and the natural sciences—these same individuals generally do not subject their own moral/ethical code to anything rigorous like this. In fact, their ethics are generally quite hazy. When I question them about this, they don’t seem to make much effort to give an answer. They’ll vaguely affirm some utilitarian system of ethics, sometimes virtue ethics, and on rare occasion some sort of deontological ethics. While they’ve been arguing from a naturalist perspective the entire time, generally they’ll suddenly drift into the language of continental philosophers, hazy, relativistic ethics that really have nothing to do with the natural world whatsoever and don’t subject themselves to any sort of academic rigor. (It’s not that continental philosophy can’t be academically rigorous; there’s just an interpretive leap here that doesn’t seem coherent.) People who think like this essentially base their entire ethical system on their life experience—which is generally only four or five decades of life. As scientifically minded people know, one human’s experience is a pitiful amount of data in comparison with the range of human experience. But how can we have more than our own experience, since everyone’s morals seem to differ so radically? Even the most basic moral imperative that everyone might share—e.g., that is wrong to kill becomes ridiculously complicated and tangled in the real world. Just think of abortion, euthanasia, war, animal cruelty, veganism, the death penalty. Furthermore, although my opponents will often say that a lack of belief in something, or disbelief is not really a moral motivator, this simply isn’t true in many cases. When I disbelieved in God and reject the moral system laid out by scripture, it absolutely had a huge effect on my behavior and actions.

Now I’ll explain my position. I strongly value that ability to make clear ethical decisions. I have tried doing this by my own thinking, following my “inner compass,” and have found that it is a pitifully lacking way of coming at the problem. I am faced with very real ethical quandaries every day, and while I tried to choose based on my own experience and understanding of shared human ethics, this led to fairly disastrous results in my personal life. I won’t go into details, but I hurt a lot of people and a lot of people hurt me. I was a nice guy, and they were nice people, but life was brutal.

I felt that there was good and evil in the world. In thinking about the Bible, it didn’t make much sense to think that a group of texts written by many different authors, passed down through the ages should be consistent or error-free. (For the record, I have since examined the manuscript history, and it is remarkable how much manuscript consistency we have for extremely old books in scripture. It is especially unusual when compared with the manuscript history of Shakespeare, for example, whose first folio manuscript differs wildly from copies of the plays published only a few decades later.)

But regardless, let us take a different starting point which makes scriptural integrity make sense. I accept good and evil, which for me means that a naturalist explanation may be correct so far as it goes, but it isn’t everything. In the course of human history, essentially all societies have some concept of good or evil. Even naturalists, atheists, etc., almost always affirm some form of ethics. The nearly universal recognition of good and evil suggests to me that there is real significance beyond the material world. It does seem to me that the only legislator of such an overarching, universal force (good) would be a force that would be best described as a God. If this God wanted to express himself to humanity, it would make sense that he would preserve the coherence of his sacred text. I don’t think that God would attempt to speak to humanity through scripture, but leave it so full of confusion and errors that one had to be a biblical scholar, theologian, and archeologist all in one in order to understand it.

Now, there is a bit of a leap. Christianity seems to me the religion that in its scripture (not the actions of all believers) meshes most closely with proper morality. If you’ll indulge me, I’ll make a comparison that would make a scientifically-minded naturalist cringe: my experience with Christianity has been a bit like Andrew Wiles’s proving of Fermat’s last theorem. Wiles came to the theorem, and for some reason, believed it to be true and provable, despite the fact that many other mathematicians had tried and failed. It took years and years to do so. Even when he finally unveiled his work, it was pointed out that the proof contained glaring errors. Humiliated, he went back to the drawing board, and eventually proved it. It had been true the entire time, and he had seen things along the way that pointed to its truth, despite his own failings and the messiness of the entire process.

My experience with Christianity has been similar to Wiles’s dogged pursuit of a proof for Fermat’s theorem. Though my initial belief might to some seem to fly in the face of reason, every day I see further indications that I am adhering to the truth. Once I start from the point of the truth of scripture, I find direction for the many ethical quandaries I have faced in life. The direction has proved remarkably profitable for me. The encouragement in Proverbs to work hard and pursue knowledge has helped me finish my degree and get a position as an Assistant Professor straight out of school. The instruction on marriage in the New Testament has helped me develop a hugely rewarding relationship with my wife over the past years. Even in hardships, for example, finding out that my son was rendered deaf by antibiotics in the first week of his life, I have seen good win out in the midst of pain.

Unlike naturalism, Christianity has provided me with a detailed, thorough system of ethics and morality. This system is subject to intellectual inquiry, and it is quite rigorous by academic standards. For me, this is hugely superior and far more practical than a vague ethical relativism.

I’ll end on an unfinished note: I believe the problem of pain and evil is in the end completely resolved through Jesus’ atonement, that Christ’s death on the cross will end and retrospectively ameliorate all human suffering, which has been the result of evil. Scholars such as Paul Fiddes (Oxford University), N. T. Wright (Anglican Bishop of Durham), and Marilyn McCord Adams (Rutgers) have suggested this, so I’m by no means original in this regard, but it has been remarkable that this idea has been noticeably absent from the traditional discussion of this problem.

Anyway, I apologize to give such a long post that still doesn’t really begin to fully answer the question raised in the original post, but such is the nature of these discussions!

Last edited:
Just to sum up: I ultimately reject an atheist/agnostic naturalism as described above because it is not intellectually rigorous or consistent in regard to ethics. Atheist/agnostic naturalists seek external truth in the areas of natural sciences. Yet these same individuals generally assent to the existence of some sort of good and evil or right and wrong, thus implicitly admitting there is something beyond naturalism, thus rejecting metaphysical naturalism. When coming at the issue of ethics and morality, however, these individuals reject external truth, claiming that relative, internal judgments are the best we can do. For me, that’s about as intellectual rigorous as saying that we shouldn’t attempt any scientific inquiry, and we should just make decisions based on what we’ve experienced in our few decades on earth. I feel I should pursue external truth in the area of morality, just as I should in the natural sciences.

And I don’t think arguments re: science, evolution, etc. really have a place in the atheist/agnostic/religious debate. They are more a tangent, but they don't get at the actual issues at hand. The underlying idea is that a belief in God and a belief in science are mutually exclusive, but for example, if we do a little research we’ll find that more than 84% of Nobel Prize Winners in Physics were religious. Source: Nobel prize winners in physics from 1901 to 1990: Simple statistics for physics teachers. Weijia Zhang. Physics Education, 33(3) (May 1998), pp. 196–203.

I affirm the natural sciences. I don’t see any contradiction between a belief in God and a belief in science, and neither have many, many scientists. This is a classic fallacy of false dichotomy.

Last edited:
"Relative moral" concept is seen even among christians because every person reads Bible in his own way and interprets Jesus's words in his own way. I've read and hear various opinions from people who declare themselves christians who read Bible and stuff, and even among them there are certain disagreements. I'm not surprised, Bible after all doesn't offer all the moral answers for all possible situations that can concur in life, so every person, whether he wants it or not, must develop his own understanding of morality and ethics. Christians are prone to be more alike each other, but they still interpret world around them with their own mind and own reasoning.

I will go step further from "When coming at the issue of ethics and morality, however, these individuals reject external truth, claiming that relative, internal judgments are the best we can do" and say it seems to me that is actually the only possible way of defining ethical ways of acting. Why? Because I think every single person on the world acts from internal judgments. So, someone who reads Bible and accepts words of god and Jesus and follow them exactly, even that person is acting from internal judgments because that person decided to follow Bible as truth based on nothing else but his internal judgment with which he saw some sense and logic in words of Bible, Jesus and so on. In fact, that person took step forward and he internally judged that Bible is holy truth and real word from a god himself, he agreed with what he read in Bible and felt like he discovered universal truth (what he internally judged as universal truth to say it more precisely).

I'm banalising thing, but point is no one on this world acts from nothing else but his internal judgment, not even most hardcore religious people. Everything begins inside of us, we use our reasoning, our experiences and our ethical views to judge things around us. Even if there is some external ultimate truth about morality and ethics, only way we people can do is to subjectively interpret it and understand it in our own way. Absolutely the same thing as with physics. We have world around us with natural laws etc. We tend to believe world around us is absolute and natural laws are always there whether or not we understood them. Now we have theory of relativity as upgrade to classical Newton's mechanics, we have quantum physics which is quite different and counterintuitive at first and more beautiful things. All that is only our way of interpreting and understanding world around us, aka that is the way we try to figure out that ultimate truth about the world. But that is still only interpretation, some day there might be new theory that will make correction to Einstein's relativity, and perhaps theory that will connect whole physics together.
Similar thing is with external truth with ethics and morality, we can only interpret them ourselves and internally understand it. That is what I believe and how I interpret world around us.

But, I don't think everything is relative in morality and ethics. We can strongly argue why is something considered bad, and something good. But some things are blur and therefore quite relatively interpreted among people. Also I have heard from some kundalini practicant or whatever he was, that there were certain people in eastern hemisphere who could grasp and really understand that absolute truth about morality and ethics (they weren't christians). I didn't understand how or why, nor do I still understand, nor do I know is that actually truth. But there might be people who are able to understand world more objectively than other people. Maybe you @BBS_Agonistes could be one of those people, and maybe I am. Who knows.

Also I totally agree that "God" and "science" don't exclude each other. I don't see a problem to be big fan of scientific ways and still believe in something, god or whatever.

@Gripphon, good points for sure, and I feel we essentially agree on most of the basic points.

I don't think that Christian morality is ultimately relativistic because different Christians interpret scripture differently. The endeavor of pursuing this truth unfolds in the relative world of human subjectivity, but I believe there is an external unchanging truth beyond that, which we are trying to reach. Our interpretation is indeed relative--as you point out, natural sciences are similar in that they are pursuing an external truth that is fraught with the problem of human subjectivity. With the sciences, however, we believe that truth is actually there, despite the fact that we may be constantly revising our understanding of it. For me, the difference is that many naturalist atheist/agnostics don’t ultimately believe there is any solid, "real," moral, external truth to be reached.

I believe I mostly understand your position, and it doesn't quite line up with the position I was outlining in my earlier post, which is fine. I was writing on my general experience, so I hope you didn't take that as me making a straw man of the typical naturalist attitude toward ethics and morality. If you do agree that there are is at least some external truth to be reached in regard to ethics--i.e., there is actually good and evil, and these aren't made-up human concepts, then we are ultimately in agreement in this regard, although we differ on our methodology of reaching that truth.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I answered on your posts because I find your opinions interesting, so I just wanted to continue discussion and to perhaps receive some interesting replies. I'm a man who is not afraid to question his own understanding of stuff and I always look toward learning something new or at least reading something interesting. This time I saw opportunity for something like that. Well I was big fan of philosophy topics before, but didn't participate in discussion for quite some time.

I don't know is there some external truth about morality, ethics or not. I do consider it possible this world is only flesh and blood + death and nothing else after all which automatically excludes anything like that. But, there might be some external truth like that as far as I know, yes, as well as God and whatever else.

I appreciate your attitude, and I think it makes for profitable discussions regarding this sort of thing. In that same spirit, I don’t want to come off as someone who thinks he has all the answers. Rather, I just believe the answers are out there and am trying my best to pursue them. I don’t mind reading the work of those who don’t agree with me; in fact, I’ve probably read far more secular philosophy and theory than I have Christian.

I suppose for me, I have always felt quite keenly that good and evil exist, so I feel a strong desire to understand and comprehend that. You mention reading, which has always been a focus of mine. I really enjoyed all the reading I’ve done over the past years, especially those of cultural theorists such as Foucault, Zizek, Althusser, and others. These out-there thinkers have had an influence on the way I think, but have also paradoxically driven me toward more toward an orthodox Christian theology, That’s actually been one of the most rewarding aspects of pursuing a Ph.D. in the humanities: having an excuse to read all this random stuff that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. And since my dissertation deals with the work of John Milton (whose poem Paradise Lost is a theodicy) and 17th c. theology and exegesis, I’ve had occasion to read even more deeply into philosophy and theology.

If you are interested in science and the problem of human subjectivity, two classics that come to mind are Kuhn’s The Structure of Scientific Revolutions(1962) and Woolgar and Latour’s Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts (1978). They might be kind of dry, though. I can't remember. I'm sure there are punchy excerpts posted online.

Give the gospels a read through sometime if you get time. Many people are struck by the authenticity of Christ's morality even when they have a marked aversion to Christianity as a whole. There's a reason for that!

Well if you consider it to be 1 day literally then no it wouldn't be a problem for plants... but that disagrees with science. We know the sun is older than the Earth, for example, and the difference is significantly more than a few hours or days. We know that there was not a global flood, either...

Evolution has been "proven" as much as you can "prove" something through science. (technically, we only disprove hypotheses). Evolution is the best model we have for predicting and understanding for example DNA, the fossil record, locations and time-stamps of fossils... it all fits together perfectly. It agrees with multiple other scientific fields, too. Evolution is a "theory" only under the scientific understanding of what a theory is, not the layman definition. Same as gravity...

I'll respond to the rest later. I do agree that much of the contradictions could be handwaved away because of translation or other issues but certainly not all of them.

Yes, I do consider it to be a literal day of creation, which equates to the whole creation in 6 days. This also correlates to the earth being somewhere around 6000 years old. Does it actually disagree with science, or just science that isn't based on fact? How do you know how old the sun is? The Earth? How do you know there was no global flood?

Evolution (and the big bang) theory has been proven as much as it can be by science because the more they try to prove it the more they realize there are still many holes that they can't fill in. It's not the only one, but a big one is why aren't there evolutionary fossils?

I know what's in the box.

Yes, I do consider it to be a literal day of creation, which equates to the whole creation in 6 days. This also correlates to the earth being somewhere around 6000 years old. Does it actually disagree with science, or just science that isn't based on fact? How do you know how old the sun is? The Earth? How do you know there was no global flood?

One way in which we can estimate the age of the earth is because of carbon dating. This is also how we know how old the fossils we find are, and the sedimentary layers of rock. It is extremely reliable and has a very proven track record. I am no expert on this process (despite having studied it at University), but there is plenty of research out there about it for interested parties. I'm sure someone else (@pharphis you're a chemistry man, yes?) can give a better explanation of it if you are interested.

Evolution (and the big bang) theory has been proven as much as it can be by science because the more they try to prove it the more they realize there are still many holes that they can't fill in. It's not the only one, but a big one is why aren't there evolutionary fossils?

There is a mass abundance of evolutionary fossils. We'll never fill every single hole in the chain of evolution, simply because having organisms fossilize is a rare occurrence, so you will never have complete documentation of every species throughout history. You can basically take a trip back through time by studying fossils, and watch the transformations happen. I am in no position to do this journey justice, but two books to look into which do a fantastic job are:

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins
Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin

Both are absolutely fantastic and do a wonderful job of showing direct evidence of evolution through fossils over the history of Earth. The Dawkins book is admittedly more of an intensive read, while Shubin's is more accessible to the casual reader.

As for "evolutionary fossils", 2 spring to mind immediately that you can research:
- Tiktaalik - a kind of midway point between fish and tetrapods (4-legged animals)
- Archaeopterix - which highlights the transitional period from dinosaurs to birds

There are also fossils documenting the evolutionary transition of flatfish eyes. You can literally watch the eyes migrate from the standard "one on each side of the head" orientation, to their current iteration of having both eyes on one side of their heads, allowing them to lay flat on the ocean floor and direct their sight upwards. There are more examples, but I won't get into them now.

@BBS_Agonistes I don't believe there is an objective moral truth or however that is best worded. I'm not sure if this puts me under one kind of relativism or another because I've read almost nothing about the philosophy behind it. In other words, I don't believe in "good" and "evil", though I definitely use those words out of convenience.

I know what's in the box.
I don't know what "evolutionary fossils" are, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be some gap (transitional species...?) between different species. If that's what you're referring to, we have literally thousands of such fossils. Ofc, we shouldn't expect to find fossils of every generation of every species ever because the conditions under which fossilization take place are limited, and resources are limited, too.

There are several different dating methods used to determine the age of the earth and the sun and other things. I don't like to just say "watch more of those videos" but he will explain it much more simply than me. Plus, it's not my expertise. Ofc, most of this is also introduced reasonably well on wikipedia and other places

What's in the box? :p

There is no absolute Truth. Good and Evil do not exist. Human beings are animals. There is no greater meaning in life, only what we make of it. We get to choose what's important to us.

I prefer to create rather than destroy, to not be wasteful, and to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. I would like to somehow leave this world a better place for my having lived in it.

Organized religion is a tool for controlling people. It's not for me. I don't believe in a god and if I said I did I would be lying. I don't understand how people can truly believe. Insincere belief really bothers me.

At the same time, the choice of what to believe is a personal one. If religion helps you and you're not hurting anyone, that's fine.

There is no absolute Truth. Good and Evil do not exist. Human beings are animals. There is no greater meaning in life, only what we make of it. We get to choose what's important to us.

I prefer to create rather than destroy, to not be wasteful, and to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. I would like to somehow leave this world a better place for my having lived in it.

Organized religion is a tool for controlling people. It's not for me. I don't believe in a god and if I said I did I would be lying. I don't understand how people can truly believe. Insincere belief really bothers me.

At the same time, the choice of what to believe is a personal one. If religion helps you and you're not hurting anyone, that's fine.

That leaves the question why a lot of neardeath experiences are the same, why do we dream, why do some of us believe in God, why does sex feel good?(it doesnt need to feel good to be made) why doe we evolved to mainly intelectuel animals rather then physical?

any answers on that?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High