OT: What do you believe and why?

You misunderstood the argument I was making in regard to the ethical quandary.

My claim is NOT that we have to find a moral absolute that is true in all circumstances. My claim is that if we can make an absolute moral claim about a specific circumstance, then ipso facto that can be an absolute claim, and it follows that there is such a thing of absolute moral truth.

As I stated in response to Kitteh, my claim is NOT that every single moral issue is observably black and white. This would be absurd. That would be like saying every scientific debate is absolutely black and white. Neither of those are true.

Of course, you can shift the variables of my hypothetical situation and say, well, what if your child faced some other terrible pain, and you were in a burning building and you could choose between stabbing him to death and letting him burn alive?

Well, that's a different problem. I am not voicing a hypothetical problem, but a real one:
I am sitting in my office chair. I can go home and stab my son to death. Is this evil or good? If we can say it is evil, then that is an absolute statement. We don't need to go through other scenarios. We have established that an absolute moral claim may be made about a specific situation.

It is like this: if I drop a penny, will it fall? I don't need to say, well, it depends on whether I am in a space ship or not. If I weren't, then it wouldn't fall. OK, great, but that's a different issue. It still remains that if I am on earth, the penny will fall.

Do you see the difference?

Obviously, there are heaps of dilemmas, paradoxes, etc. in both the natural sciences and in ethics. So why should we assume there IS no absolute truth in the latter case and then assume there IS absolute truth in the former case? Can you provide an answer for that?

I'm not posing a rhetorical question, or implying you can't--I'm genuinely interested in your answer.
Well in that case then it depends on your definition of wrong. However, I think even cases that are morally quite obvious to us are for example not obvious to other species, so it's still not an "absolute" imo.
Imagine there are aliens of equal intellect. How would they answer the question regarding YOUR child? I think to them it is probably morally ambiguous or not a moral question at all, perhaps (I guess in another sense this brings up the discussion of animal suffering)

We assume that there are absolute truths regarding the natural world and the laws of the universe because we must in order to get anywhere. Off the top of my head we assume that the laws of the universe are relatively constant, observable and can be reasonably understood/modeled. We HAVE to make these assumptions.

I'm unsure of the language for this or what these are called but this is necessary in order to do science at all.
I don't believe this is necessary for ethics

Well in that case then it depends on your definition of wrong. However, I think even cases that are morally quite obvious to us are for example not obvious to other species, so it's still not an "absolute" imo.
Imagine there are aliens of equal intellect. How would they answer the question regarding YOUR child? I think to them it is probably morally ambiguous or not a moral question at all, perhaps (I guess in another sense this brings up the discussion of animal suffering)

We assume that there are absolute truths regarding the natural world and the laws of the universe because we must in order to get anywhere. Off the top of my head we assume that the laws of the universe are relatively constant, observable and can be reasonably understood/modeled. We HAVE to make these assumptions.

I'm unsure of the language for this or what these are called but this is necessary in order to do science at all.
I don't believe this is necessary for ethics

First, I'm really enjoying this debate--more a discussion than a debate--and it's clarified my own thinking on this, so thanks.

Again, with the question of aliens and animals, I think one thing that separates us from animals is the issue of morality. As for aliens, again, that's a bit hypothetical. I'm not saying it's not valuable to think about those sort of things, but rather that I am here looking at a specific, real moral situation to see whether any absolute claims can be made regarding it.

I think you really get at the heart of the issue here. Why do make these assumptions in regard to science? Well, because we couldn't really do it without them. The alternative would be a bit ridiculous: we could not pursue science until we could logically prove all of the basic assumptions regarding universal laws in physics, etc. But that would by silly. It seems like science is important, so we proceed on an assumption that we can’t 100% prove because we believe that it is ultimately a true assumption whether or not we can prove it or not. If I didn't believe science would ultimately yield any insight on universal truth, I wouldn't put much effort into scientific and intellectual rigor.

I guess, for me, ethics and morality are just that important, if not more so. I freely admit the messiness of the whole endeavor. I freely admit that people have gotten it terribly wrong for centuries. But, it seems very important that we do try to reach this truth--I believe it is out there. If I didn't believe that the study of philosophy, morality, theology, and ethics would yield any insight on universal truth, I similarly wouldn't put much effort into intellectual rigor. And that's the problem for me--almost all the driving force of my studies comes from a desire to know the truth.

Last edited:
No, I perfectly understand you, and perhaps my post was poorly stated. You could have easily turned it around on me and said, "Well, why do you read thousands of pages of fiction (which is by definition 'untrue') and secular philosophy if you believe the truth is Christianity?"

I suppose I more mean that at the end of the day, don't you seek some sort of truth and wisdom and meaning from these texts? Or is it just 100% entertainment?

It's both - learning and entertainment. And yes, there's for sure some wisdom to adapt from religious texts! Truth? Not really seeking for it, though keeping an open mind. I just find it absurd (for me) that any text could be so convincing that I started believing in any form of god. (christian or not).

@pharphis Oh, and the technical term for some of the basic assumptions of science is uniformitarianism, but I think that term is more confined to geology. I know it began in the study of geology in the 17th century. Charles Lyell really made the idea more universal in the 19th century, and I believe he was the first to use that term.

EDIT: "Scientific consensus" might be a better term for what you're describing. It's annoying me that I can't think if the right term. "Scientific consensus" seems too broad, while "uniformitarianism" seems too narrow.

It's both - learning and entertainment. And yes, there's for sure some wisdom to adapt from religious texts! Truth? Not really seeking for it, though keeping an open mind. I just find it absurd (for me) that any text could be so convincing that I started believing in any form of god. (christian or not).

Fair enough! Let me just say, I’m not really trying to convince anyone here of anything—that would be a bit unrealistic.

I think when people think of debates, they think the goal is for one side to “win” or to convince the other side. That basically never happens, so my goal when coming at debates is that at the end, I would better understand the viewpoints of those who do not think like I do, and they would better understand me. Again, the term “discussion” might be better.

I feel that’s happening here, so that’s great. I may be out of the loop for a bit here, since I’m now faced with the dilemma of whether or not it’s ethically right for me to take a longer break from my work, but I’ll be back.

Last edited:
Always nice to have interesting discussions! And to follow them, which I mainly did in this thread.

Cool to see there's some well-educated people around here, in a random gaming forum. Good luck with your work! :)

Contradictions FTW. :D

@SunsetVista Just to point out the obvious--do you realize you stated "There is no absolute truth" among several other declarations that you claim are absolutely true?

Then you say that there is no such thing as good and evil, but that religion is OK "if it helps you and you're not hurting anyone." Well, if there is no such thing as good and evil, how about if religion is hurting others? Is it OK then? Or is it... evil/wrong/bad?!

If there is no such thing as good and evil, and we get to choose what is important for us, then who are you to pronounce moral judgments anyone's decisions? If someone wants to destroy, that should be fine. Why leave the world a better place if there is no meaning? What do you even mean by "better" if there is no good or bad? "Better" is in fact the comparative form of the word "good"!

Not trying to bust your chops, but I couldn't help pointing out some typical contradictions of this kind of viewpoint. I don't think it's an ignorant viewpoint, but I think that actually, underneath it all, you do affirm some sort of good and evil--you just don't realize it. Your post tells me that you think it is wrong for oppressive religions to control people. (I agree.) You think it is wrong to hurt others. (I agree.) You think it is wrong to have insincere belief. (I agree.)

I expected this. I am not contradicting myself. Let me clarify my position, then.

The things I stated are things I believe. I do not say they are Absolute Truth (this capitalization is important to emphasize what I was trying to convey - the idea of an underlying moral law of the universe, which is sometimes equated with the idea of god).

'Good' and 'Evil' are not the same as 'good' and 'bad' or 'right' and 'wrong'. The concept of absolute Good and Evil as some kind of supernatural superlative ideals - that is what I reject. The world contains things I like and things I dislike, things I would classify as positive or negative, but it does not contain Good or Evil things or people.

I personally object when religion is used to hurt others. I reserve my right to have an opinion of anyone's actions - this judgment is purely my own and doesn't reflect any higher truth. By a better place, I suppose I want to bring more happiness than despair through my actions. I want to contribute positively toward current and future generations' well-being. I want to give back at least as much as I take from the world (allowing for entropy).

There is no universal morality, therefore there is no Good and Evil.

I expected this. I am not contradicting myself. Let me clarify my position, then.

The things I stated are things I believe. I do not say they are Absolute Truth (this capitalization is important to emphasize what I was trying to convey - the idea of an underlying moral law of the universe, which is sometimes equated with the idea of god).

'Good' and 'Evil' are not the same as 'good' and 'bad' or 'right' and 'wrong'. The concept of absolute Good and Evil as some kind of supernatural superlative ideals - that is what I reject. The world contains things I like and things I dislike, things I would classify as positive or negative, but it does not contain Good or Evil things or people.

I personally object when religion is used to hurt others. I reserve my right to have an opinion of anyone's actions - this judgment is purely my own and doesn't reflect any higher truth. By a better place, I suppose I want to bring more happiness than despair through my actions. I want to contribute positively toward current and future generations' well-being. I want to give back at least as much as I take from the world (allowing for entropy).

Well, if you choose to redefine language in a way that doesn't make sense, I suppose that is your prerogative. :) Just don't expect it to work so well when communicating with others. I can't really agree with your use of language unless you clarify it further. If something is merely "bad" or "good" judging by your personal reaction to it (whether you like it or not), then basically all you've stated is this:

"I like some things. I don't like other things."

Well, OK. That's not particularly enlightening, and we all know this, and I don't see how you've logically supported your claim that absolute truth does not exist in any way.

There is no universal morality, therefore there is no Good and Evil.
Again, this isn't a valid logical syllogism: there is no universal agreement on science, but that doesn't mean that there aren't universal laws of science! Things are not made true or false by universal agreement: this is the fallacy of argument from popularity.

Well, if you choose to redefine language in a way that doesn't make sense, I suppose that is your prerogative. :) Just don't expect it to work so well when communicating with others. I can't really agree with your use of language unless you clarify it further. If something is merely "bad" or "good" judging by your personal reaction to it, then basically all you've state is this:

"I like some things. I don't like other things."

Well, OK. That's not particularly enlightening, and we all know this, and I don't see how you've logically supported your point in any way.

Again, this isn't a valid logical syllogism: there is no universal agreement on science, but that doesn't mean that there aren't universal laws of science!

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am stating what I believe, which is that yes, there is nothing beyond like or dislike. Your assumption that there must be universal laws of morality because there are universal laws of science is illogical.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am stating what I believe, which is that yes, there is nothing beyond like or dislike. Your assumption that there must be universal laws of morality because there are universal laws of science is illogical.
No, it's not illogical.

Almost all human reason proceeds from the assumption that there is a continuity to reality--constants exist. Science and logic are both based on that assumption.When we turn to ethics, I feel that I need to have a good reason to reject that assumption. What is your reason?

I'm not trying to convince you either--as I said, I've tried to understand you, but you've still given no evidence as to why they should be so radically different in your approach to reality when it comes to ethics and morality. It's completely fine to state what you believe with absolutely no support as to why you believe it. But if you don't provide any evidence as to why, I can't really understand you.

The physical world exists, probably. It exists independent of us. This is what we investigate with science.

Morality is a social construct. We made it up. This is what we investigate with philosophy and ethics.

If there was a universal morality, why do we not all conform to it? We all obey the laws of gravity.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything. I completely agree that morality and science, as practiced by humans, are certainly constructs. Science has been practiced differently throughout the centuries, and it is practiced differently by different scientists even now. That doesn’t mean that there is no external absolute truth beyond all of that.

The same can be said for morality. There are a wide range of beliefs, opinions, approaches. That is certainly socially constructed. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t an absolute, external truth to be reached in regards to morality.

The claim that because morality is practiced differently in different places and times is not a logical reason for disputing the existence of absolute morality any more than differing scientific methodologies practiced at different places and times mean that truth regarding the material world doesn’t exist in some absolute form.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything. I completely agree that morality and science, as practiced by humans, are certainly constructs. Science has been practiced differently throughout the centuries, and it is practiced differently by different scientists even now. That doesn’t mean that there is no external absolute truth beyond all of that.

The same can be said for morality. There are a wide range of beliefs, opinions, approaches. That is certainly socially constructed. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t an absolute, external truth to be reached in regards to morality.

The claim that because morality is practiced differently in different places and times is not a logical reason for disputing the existence of absolute morality any more than differing scientific methodologies practiced at different places and times mean that truth regarding the material world doesn’t exist in some absolute form.
But the difference is we need to make the assumption that the universe can be reasonably modeled and is relatively constant ("absolute truth"). I don't see why this assumption is necessary for morality. While I don't think I'll make the assertion that absolute morality DOES NOT exist (I'll be agnostic here) I don't think there is good justification for believing it does. With science, you simply HAVE to assume that the universe is governed by physical laws in order to understand it. I don't know how else to phrase it without repeating myself so probably we will not find agreement on this point.

By the way, @pharphis I'm not ignoring your statements regarding biblical morality and issues of subjectivity. I just wanted to make my initial point clear before going on: that external moral truth is possible, just as external material truth is possible.
I understand. There are way too many directions for inquiry and so if I don't respond to something you say that you'd like a response just point it out. That goes for anyone, ofc.

But the difference is we need to make the assumption that the universe can be reasonably modeled and is relatively constant ("absolute truth"). I don't see why this assumption is necessary for morality. While I don't think I'll make the assertion that absolute morality DOES NOT exist (I'll be agnostic here) I don't think there is good justification for believing it does. With science, you simply HAVE to assume that the universe is governed by physical laws in order to understand it. I don't know how else to phrase it without repeating myself so probably we will not find agreement on this point.

This is a valid point, and one that certainly supports SunsetVista 's statements above.

I do, however, think I have a response. Your assertion that we have to make these assumptions for science to be carried out isn’t exactly true. If science were conceived of in the terms people conceive of morality, then it would be possible. Let’s just substitute the word “science” for “morality” in some of the clichéd conversations of morality that are quite common these days.

Well, you may have your own view of science, and that’s fine. What one believes about science is one’s own business. We can’t have science affecting the way we make laws, however. And you can’t make your scientific claims about anyone else’s life, since all you know is completely subjective and colored by your own view of reality. Personal science is fine as long as you keep it to yourself.

Well, you’d say, that’s not really science. Sure you could approach it that way, but it’s not practical. That’s a lot of people casually positing beliefs about the universe, but you couldn’t get any momentum with that version of science. It would be pretty useless, and couldn't be practiced on anything more than an individual scale without huge problems.

Well, the same is true of discussion of morality, in my opinion. For me, a study of morality that ultimately rejects morality itself isn't really ethics or morality or a study at all. It is more just people casually stating personal opinions to themselves. It can't get much momentum as a collective endeavor. A reductive, relative approach that says, "Well, there isn't any morality at the end of it all," is great in theory, and it’s fun in philosophical conversations. But in the real world, society has to at least agree in some way. Think of the legal system. Think about if the ramifications of a relative system of ethics were stated explicitly at a sentencing as a judge put a man in prison for murder.

Judge: You murdered a child in cold blood. Murder is not wrong or evil. In some societies, we would not punish you at all for this. But as a society, we have arbitrarily agreed upon these rules. They cannot be justified by nature. Though humans are demonstrably merely animals, we do not punish animals when they murder other animals. We do not punish you for murdering other forms of life, or even eating them. You did not have any choice in the matter either. You were born into a time and society that arbitrarily condemns murder. So, because we have arbitrarily agreed on these rules as a society, you will spend the rest of your life locked in a cell. Just as Americans chose to enslave African Americans in past centuries, so too do we choose to imprison murderers. These are both arbitrarily constructed positions that have equal value.

For me, this isn’t a practical way to approach morality in any real situation. The idea of, "Well morality was socially constructed" works well in hypothetical situations, fancy dilemmas, classic ethical quandaries, because you can say, “Well, there isn’t any absolute morality; problem solved.”

As with science, ethics is more easily practiced as a community endeavor when it is agreed that there are moral truths to be pursued. That’s about as basic as an assumption could get, and I feel it is helpful to make at least that basic of an assumption in order to pursue morality and ethics as a study. So my reaction is similar to that we might have over the version of science I posted above. Sure, you could practice it that way, but it wouldn’t be of much use, and wouldn’t really help us in any real, practical situations that we faced every day. We’d still be essentially choosing what we liked, which seems terribly inadequate in questions of both science and ethics. And the ramifications of poor scientific method have consequences for sure. But the consequences of a poor approach to morality can be even more disastrous in my opinion.

I've taught for the last five years at a secular university, and when I've taught classes on normative ethics, we'll generally begin by my asking students if there is right and wrong. One student will inevitably say, "No, it's just personal opinion." I'll give a deadpan response of, "Then you get an F for class participation because you disagreed with me in class." They will be shocked, and I'll ask them if that seems wrong. Again, in practical considerations, we recognize moral truth in the day to day. We believe in justice, and we experience it. If the student responds, "Well, the university system is socially constructed, so you have to abide by that," then I'll respond, "So you believe we should be bound by societal norms and systems? What if we don't like them?" In reference to SunsetVista's discussion above, there is a big difference in socially constructing a value through like and dislike, and making a claim that something is right or wrong, just or unjust. I don't ask that my students accept the idea of absolute moral truth, but we find that when discussing ethics, we have to make some basic assumptions. If we don't, then our discussions can't really be of much value. One of the most basic assumptions is that good and evil do exist and are not socially constructed, just as we agree that the constants in the material world (for example, gravity) aren't socially constructed, but actually do exist.

These are practical considerations. The other considerations are those we can’t agree on so much. For example, for you and SunsetVista, you don’t think, a priori, in your gut that there is absolute morality. For me, I do see this evidenced in the material world quite vividly, every day, for all of my life, just as I have felt the material universe to function according to constant principles throughout my life. I suppose this is ultimately the root of our difference.

Last edited:
Let me add one more thing: it seems important to be able to make judgments about morality that go beyond culture and time. If morality is merely culturally constructed, and nothing more, and can only be judged by cultural standards, this becomes impossible. If it is just the norms of the time that make it right or wrong, then what may we say regarding the enslavement of African Americans in America's past? One might respond, "Well that was moral for them. Morality is socially constructed. It would be wrong to do it today, because our society deems it wrong, but it was right to do back then." I don't think that is quite right. Just as we must go back and correct flawed scientific methodologies that had bad results, we also should be able to revise bad morality. Do you agree? Or do you think that ultimately slavery was morally right because society constructed it in that way for that time and place?

If you do feel the need to revise past approaches to morality from other times and cultures, you would be making a transcendent moral judgment. You could say, "Well, my judgment is ultimately just my opinion and has no significance. It merely happens to be what I like." But it seems to me that when confronted with horrors like slavery, we should be able to have a reaction that goes beyond my reaction to bright red carpet or mint-flavored icecream--i.e., "I don't like that."

Last edited:
I am bowing out of this discussion, which I never should have joined in the first place. @BBS_Agonistes - please reread the things you have written for contradictions and figure out which side of the argument, or even what argument, you are on. I am upset at the way you have tagged me in your post, and I do not feel further discussion will be useful.

I am bowing out of this discussion, which I never should have joined in the first place. @BBS_Agonistes - please reread the things you have written for contradictions and figure out which side of the argument, or even what argument, you are on. I am upset at the way you have tagged me in your post, and I do not feel further discussion will be useful.

I'm sorry to have caused offense! Certainly none was intended, and I "untagged" you in my previous post. I was just using the tag as a way to respond to you--not trying to upset. I know you're bowing out now, but I'll just say that everything I've posted is the product of many years of study and thought, so I am quite clear on the arguments and where I stand and will be happy to answer/address any specific questions you may have.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High