New Ladder - Fishymancer Questions Answered

Re: New Ladder - Fishymancer Questions Answered

The people that go on about how easy fishy is with low +skills have forgotten what its actually like to play a fishy with low + skills.

It's not fast.

However, its safer than just about any other build and as you will rarely if ever run into any more sticking points, on average your speed will be okay. But, the difference between the mid high 20s and the low 30s is significant. Mid-upper 30s and you're blowing things apart.

Keep in mind, your only goal is to get one body on the ground. One way to speed your killing is to get a very high damage merc weapon with crushing blow. Then even if your skellies suck, your merc will get you that one corpse very fast and all hell breaks loose after.

Hey ya'll.

My 79 fishy just finished hell act 1 single player. I seem to be having a much harder time in hell than I did in normal and NM. I pretty much steamrolled normal and hell on /players 8 with no issues, but when I hit hell, I had to drop to /players 1 and its still a slow roll. I've died more in hell act 1 than I did in all of normal and NM combined.

So my question to you guys is. Should I just concentrate on getting my +skills up or should I sacrifice some +skills for resists (they are in the toilet in hell =b).

I'm at work so I can't give you my exact stats but I have about +6 skills and I maxed RS, SM, CE. I put about 10 pts into mages and one pt into each of the curses and most of the golum skills. After reading this post I'm thinking of respecing to beef up my dim vision to help my dieing problem.

Thanks

Faethore

P.S. this is my first post on these forums. =)

I suggest getting the best gear possible to your merc as the highest priority. he kills much faster than the rest of the army combined(and more importantly, concentrates his damage on a single foe), it is vital for him to be strong

Yah, I have the runes I need for an incite and an obedience, just need a good base to drop. I'll probably go with obedience until I get an armor piece with some crushing blow for him.

I'm running Grizwald, the pits and countess, and Andy in act 1 hell for some gear drops. I got lucky with some good map spawns :)

So I found a nice base for obedience...carefully placed the runes in the correct order....and nothing...seems i installed RWM wrong.

Think I'll go wrestle with the five year old to burn off some steam. :hang:

If you look over the guide you can see a way to get very cheap, very effective +skill AND +resist gear simultaneously.

All you have to do is visit the trade thread on these forums.

I realised I can kill mobs on the way to Andy easier as compared to Countess. I get killed quite often by Dark Archer though if I didn't managed to escape in time. Any idea why is this happening?

Because they are Archers. I have Sin running pits and if I die it's done by archer (pit lvl2 one with Amp and other with might/fana aura is my fav. combo), no max block and PDR is my reasoning.

I'm having a hard time killing Diablo in Hell with this build.

As of now, my sm and raise skelly are both at 43. My merc uses cot, fort and infinity and I use the following:

shako
homo
maras
hoto
enig
arach
2 sojs
marrow
magefist

Anyway, I go in, keep casting decrep, cast life tap ocasionally, amplify and let my skellies, clay golem, mages, and merc do the rest but he just kills them in like 5 seconds and then he starts looking for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing? What curses do you guys use?

I'm having a hard time killing Diablo in Hell with this build.

As of now, my sm and raise skelly are both at 43. My merc uses cot, fort and infinity and I use the following:

shako
homo
maras
hoto
enig
arach
2 sojs
marrow
magefist

Anyway, I go in, keep casting decrep, cast life tap ocasionally, amplify and let my skellies, clay golem, mages, and merc do the rest but he just kills them in like 5 seconds and then he starts looking for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing? What curses do you guys use?

Keep Dece on him. With Dece and Clay Golem (and maybe Cold Mages) he really shouldn't move at all.

What's your skills allocation? Do you have a point in Summon Resist? You can also use Revive (Urdars especially, since you're already come across them in the River).

Wierd, with the CB on Infinity he should go down pretty easily. Did you make it on an Eth Elite wep? What are his resists too?

I followed this guide actually. I haven't put a point in revive yet though, so I'll give that a try. Also, my merc has maxed rez, perhaps all the skellies are getting in the way of him and Diablo? I'll give it another try later today.

Reset Monday.

Up to top to stop the inevitable spam.

It will be full of bonez!

But oh the Arcane Sanctuary and F...ot Lair :<

I dunno if I like max block. I never really walk anywhere. On any character. Ever. Hmmm maybe it's time to try new things.

Why is there no mention of an 'Edge' bow using Rogue?

And point and laugh at anyone who is using 'Infinity' and having issues with killing speed. Seriously.

Why is there no mention of an 'Edge' bow using Rogue?

For a summoning necro it is pretty hard to beat the might aura you get from an Act 2 merc. Actually, I don't think you can beat it. So using the Act 1 merc would be, at best, a curiosity.

If you think a rogue merc could be better (without Faith) I'd be interested to hear your rationale.

The people that go on about how easy fishy is with low +skills have forgotten what its actually like to play a fishy with low + skills.

It's not fast.

Easy != fun. I got a summoner through SC once, with low +skills. Now that I am playing HC I keep thinking I should do that again (cause you have to really mess up to die, which is perfect for hardcore.) But then I remember the maggot lair (x3) and the Summoner (x3) and.. no thanks. I guess I could stock up on tele charges in order to keep repositioning the idiots, but...

Also, while I appreciate NightFish's excellent write-up, why do we call all summoning necromancers fishymancers? NightFish suggested that we ought to summon things with a summoning necromancer.. I agree! But you would have to either not understand DII or be terrible at math to deviate much from the Fishy plan, given its looseness.

So using the Act 1 merc would be, at best, a curiosity.

There is still one interesting way to use Thorns from Edge, while agreeing with the great point you made about wanting an Act2 merc.

Since Edge is both cheap, and can be used for low stat investment if made in an Edge Bow and has a fairly low lvl requirement, a Necro can choose to keep it on swap. Keep one weapon swap with +skills to summon your army and cast your initial Amp Dmg, and then swap back to your Edge.

Now of course you will only want to do this thru Norm and maybe most of NM, because very quickly Thorns stops being effective and you will end up ditching it long before Hell mode. Which begs the question of why even bother with Edge, since Norm and NM are already so easy anyways =p

I followed this guide actually. I haven't put a point in revive yet though, so I'll give that a try. Also, my merc has maxed rez, perhaps all the skellies are getting in the way of him and Diablo? I'll give it another try later today.

-summon mages aswell as psn mage will stop him regen
-decrep owns
-merc with cb and urdar revives for a quick win

:thumbup:

Now of course you will only want to do this thru Norm and maybe most of NM, because very quickly Thorns stops being effective and you will end up ditching it long before Hell mode. Which begs the question of why even bother with Edge, since Norm and NM are already so easy anyways =p

I set a nice trap there for you to fall into.

I soloed the game in Hardcore, made many, many trips WsK/Baal with my Oriana, a fire rogue, who was dressed with 'Edge', Twitchthroe and Stealskull.

With untwinked items, I'm confident that Thorns out-damages the Might setup. It might even beat it in a twinked setup, to a point, but I'm not interested in acquiring all of that stuff just to prove that at some point an Enigma wearing Necro with a Might/Infinity mercenary outstrips my 'TirTalAmn' bow. :)

I wrote about this more in depth on the Amazon Basin forums in a thread with the title: Giving your summoner an 'Edge'. You can read a little more about my thoughts there, or simply make the bow and give it a test drive yourself.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High