Lord of the Rings Forum Mafia Game

Re: Lord of the Rings Forum Mafia Game

Flip has some experience in the game, enough to potentially be effective in this round. However, he hasn't been a regular player, so would have been an unlikely target for a doctor type role to protect on night one. I think his NK makes perfect sense from a strategic perspective. Leo, why would you think it was random? Trying to lead us away from the truth, perhaps, or to underestimate the bad guys?

Flip has some experience in the game, enough to potentially be effective in this round. However, he hasn't been a regular player, so would have been an unlikely target for a doctor type role to protect on night one. I think his NK makes perfect sense from a strategic perspective. Leo, why would you think it was random? Trying to lead us away from the truth, perhaps, or to underestimate the bad guys?

i see where you are coming from- i think. like, i understand your point that Flip is not a regular player and an unlikely target, but why should he be less worthy of a save than anyone else? and the doc could've saved his own hide. i've seen that happen before in games i have hosted. i think one doc saved his neck two times in a row!

why do i feel it was random? probably because it's the first night and the bad guys have nothing to go on. you should know this by now. ;)

Just got home from work... so relieved it's friday :D.

He could use merry and peppin as names just to make the townies a bit more personal.

Final thought before I go to bed: Why do you think the bad guys decided to kill a newbie?

I'm partial to Noodle's theory in that the mafia probably wanted to kill someone that more than likely wouldn't be saved by the doc. Without prior conversation, there's absolutely nothing to go on the first night. With that in mind, I think doc's in general tend to migrate towards a save on a higher-profile player, one that would have a higher chance of being active, than someone that might not talk as much.

I don't think the mafia's intention was to kill off a newbie. If they were, I'm sure they would have chosen Sathoris, Child of Hurin, or Nurman:

Is there any place for a newbie in this game? I'm not really a newbie, just on these forums. I've been playing forum maffia for several years on different forums already, so you won't need to worry about me not showing up or betraying roles and such :)

I'm in! I want to be Samwise Gamgee! (If he is not taken already :))

I'm noob in this but i will learn.

Ps. Found a perfect gif already :) (Actually two, other one has a hillarious piece of text on it (192kb), other one is a plain version of it.(350kb)

I don't know what's happening in here but my forum name is appropriate so I'm joining !

We could assume that we are dealing with 2-3 mafia and as Marahumm suggested we could have 2 peeps playing golum, which narrows things down to 13 roles.

Zarni said the maffia would be stronger this round than normally. In a game of fifteen 4 maffia would be reasonable, if not 5. That's including possible hitman lower in the hierarchy.

and the pro-townies would be a team of:
4.Aragorn (duh) - The cop. That would make sense to me. If it doesn't to you, watch the movie :) or simply a mason.

Why would Aragon be the obvious cop? I think Legolas would fit better seeing how he's the elf that tracked down the uruk-hai and has all the elven tracking knowledge.

now, being KINDA clueless as to specific details, why would Elrond (that's Agent Smith, yes? not LITERALLY, but the same guy?) be the doc? i understand why Aragorn could be the cop as you suggested (doesn't he track things or something? again, i have seen parts of LotR and i know that much)? Gandalf and Saurman ofc are arch nemeses so they would be after each other. what could Gimli have been? Vigi? and who is Sauran? is that the flaming eye over the mtn or whatever?

I'm guessing you always OT a lot, but not knowing the main character of LotR is a bit speculative. If you know Gandalf and Saruman are arch nemeses you must know Sauron is the main baddie. Claiming you don't know the main characters usually leads to having a big role. Good or bad, usually bad.

Interesting. I'd love to hear more on your theories.

@Noodle: I can't read Leo either. It's just too early.

She already gave some info to go on.

And by the way, is anyone here familiar with HOMM3 Wake of Gods?

OT? Or relevant to your role? I do know HOMM 3 and I doubt it adds anything to the game.

Who knows, "Noone can truly understand a mind of a demon.." -Pepin The Healer

Care to elaborate? Seems rather random.

Zarni said the maffia would be stronger this round than normally. In a game of fifteen 4 maffia would be reasonable, if not 5. That's including possible hitman lower in the hierarchy.

Very well then. I guess we have Sauron, Saruman, Wraith, Ork, and Golum. That makes it a perfect fourth (5 semi-tones, 4th degree of any major or minor scale. musical reference anyone? XD)

Why would Aragon be the obvious cop? I think Legolas would fit better seeing how he's the elf that tracked down the uruk-hai and has all the elven tracking knowledge.

I remember Aragorn being referred to as "the ranger" or something of the like in Fellowship of the ring so therefore it seemed obvious at the moment that Aragorn would be serving the role as a cop. Perhaps Aragorn has the power of the cop except that of the investigation, which has been left to the elf (Legolas).

I'm guessing you always OT a lot, but not knowing the main character of LotR is a bit speculative. If you know Gandalf and Saruman are arch nemeses you must know Sauron is the main baddie. Claiming you don't know the main characters usually leads to having a big role. Good or bad, usually bad.

I'm not touching on this one.... Leo always digs herself into heavy suspicions with her OT. The same thing happened previous 2(?) games.

OT? Or relevant to your role? I do know HOMM 3 and I doubt it adds anything to the game.

I know what Wake of Gods is and I've played it before. Unfortunately, it is buggy (at least to me) so I stopped playing with it. It actually adds on quite a bit to HOMM 3 (assuming that's what you meant :D)

In the movies Aragorn is portrayed to have the superior tracking knowledge and seems to have a better understanding of what went on in the area. Either way, Legolas or Aragorn, I think it's safe to assume there's an investigative type role in the game.

I can vouch for Leo in that she hasn't seen any of the movies, and only bits and pieces of Fellowship. We plan on watching the first one tonight actually, and I'm trying to explain all I can to her.

She already gave some info to go on.

The town is looking for as much info as possible. If you feel nurman shouldn't be as detailed as possible when pertaining to his theories, just say so.

I remember sitting down to watch the 3 LotR movies in order from beginning to end. We were watching the extended editions. 12 contiguous hours on the couch staring at the TV. I couldn't feel my back when I got up from the movie coma.

Boog, I doubt Aragorn would be a cop type role. While that does make sense, if you really think about Aragorn's role in the first book and the rest of it, he is more of a leader and protector, especially where the hobbits and Frodo were concerned.

If you watch this scene and pay attention to Aragorn's posture and take note of where his hands are after Boromir gives Frodo back the ring, you come to the realization that Aragorn would have struck Boromir down to portect Frodo and the ring, if it went that far.:

[youtube]U3O9z2GT3vA[/youtube]

He could be a protector type role like a Doc, but knowing that he is a Ranger... I would bet that Strider has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Announcement:

Orphan will be taking over Child of Hurin's role.

He hasn't been on the forum for 5 days, he has a post count of 24 and I cannot reach him after 24 hours+.

Continue. Welcome aboard Orphan, thank you for agreeing to play.

Just a reminder to those of you who are new to playing with us here:

If I've given you a daily ability, you need to pm me before the game starts tomorrow with how you plan to use that ability.

Headed to bed soon.

Reading thru again, i saw this, it got me to thinking about what kind of daily abilitys there could be? Most roles seem to do what they do during the night phase, but daily ability what? protecting,searching,killing come to mind, what else?

I think he's just reminding people to use their night-phase abilities that they can use every night phase. However, we can't take away the idea that some might have abilities they can use during the day. Any thoughts on what those might be Laarz?

Good to have you on board Orphan :D

You may be right Mara, its just "daily abilitys" struck me as odd when he used the term night action in the post above and below that post. As to your question,only the 3 in my post.

guess you haven't played with anyone as awesome as me.

*blows air on fingernails*

*shines on shirt*

:smug: :jig: :yes: :girly:

Continue. Welcome aboard Orphan, thank you for agreeing to play.

hey, it's Orphan! :D yay! another pretty boy i can flirt with. and an Aussie too. :cloud9:

as to what Laarz pointed out in his post that quoted Zarni... you think it could be like what Gorny had in his Super Hero vs. Villian game? where someone had to speak some key words to activate a power? because that's how my role worked. i can't remember if he would've told me about it (im sure he would have) but you think we have something of the same concept here? something like "You shall not pass"?

...Trying to lead us away from the truth, perhaps, or to underestimate the bad guys?

Truth...hmm

Noodle, I would really hate to underestimate the "bad guys" wouldn't you?

I'm partial to Noodle's theory in that the mafia probably wanted to kill someone that more than likely wouldn't be saved by the doc.

I don't think the mafia's intention was to kill off a newbie. If they were, I'm sure they would have chosen Sathoris, Child of Hurin, or Nurman:

Interesting you should so quickly side with Noodle. Is there some connection here? What was the Mafia's intention's then Marahumm? Noodle doesn't seem to want to explain his conjecture. I asked earlier and got crickets...

...the realization that Aragorn would have struck Boromir down to portect Frodo and the ring, if it went that far...

Gorny? You were gonna kill me?! :weep:

I only wanted to read what was written on the inside of the ring...GYAH!!!

I've got couple of good theories, but i will valuate them during the following days...

I too, would be interested in hearing some of your theories nurman.

However, I would like to add: one of the mafia will probably be a wraith, since it is spoken off in the intro-text.
etcetera.

Speaking of story (particularly the part you quoted), "all seeing eye"? Just a nice pick up from the lore, or something more? Also on the topic of the story, I couldn't help but notice we had only a single death last night. It's a shame there wasn't any additional information to the death though (and by that I mean weapon marks, etc), except that it was deemed done by Sauron?

Okay i post too much this will have to do for today.

Indeed. You're quite...eager, aren't you :scratchchin:

Flip has some experience in the game, enough to potentially be effective in this round. However, he hasn't been a regular player, so would have been an unlikely target for a doctor type role to protect on night one. I think his NK makes perfect sense from a strategic perspective.

Hmm, at the moment I'm inclined to believe that it was random more than it was not. Unless you're attempting to rule out the new guys as potential mafia suspects?

Leo, why would you think it was random? Trying to lead us away from the truth, perhaps, or to underestimate the bad guys?

Interesting that the same thing could be said about you Noodle, with trying to make it seem non-random. Never the less, following on from that thought whom do you think would make that move? It would have to be someone who has previously played with flip, etc.

I remember Aragorn being referred to as "the ranger" or something of the like in Fellowship of the ring so therefore it seemed obvious at the moment that Aragorn would be serving the role as a cop. Perhaps Aragorn has the power of the cop except that of the investigation, which has been left to the elf (Legolas).

If that is indeed the case with Aragorn and Legolas, would that further indicate that they would communicate actively?

I remember sitting down to watch the 3 LotR movies in order from beginning to end. We were watching the extended editions. 12 contiguous hours on the couch staring at the TV. I couldn't feel my back when I got up from the movie coma.

Hidden Treant roleclaim? :thumbup:

I think he's just reminding people to use their night-phase abilities that they can use every night phase. However, we can't take away the idea that some might have abilities they can use during the day. Any thoughts on what those might be Laarz?[/quotes]

It definitely sounds like there are some daytime roles based on what Zarni posted. As for possibilities, I'm not sure. It could be anything really, even things that might normally be night-time only (such as investigations, protections from lynch, etc).

hey, it's Orphan! :D yay! another pretty boy i can flirt with. and an Aussie too. :cloud9:

Aussies are always the best kind :thumbup:

Good to have you on board Orphan :D

Welcome to the game Orphan gl

Thanks guys :thumbup:

as to what Laarz pointed out in his post that quoted Zarni... you think it could be like what Gorny had in his Super Hero vs. Villian game? where someone had to speak some key words to activate a power? because that's how my role worked. i can't remember if he would've told me about it (im sure he would have) but you think we have something of the same concept here? something like "You shall not pass"?

If that's the case, then what are your thoughts on identifying key or otherwise interesting sayings from the movies/series and posting them here anyway. Could it do any harm? Probably if it triggered some benefit for an anti-town player. When Marahumm and you watch the series again you can make some notes :whistling:

Gorny? You were gonna kill me?! :weep:

I only wanted to read what was written on the inside of the ring...GYAH!!!

I assume you're referring to your avatar, eh Boromir?

Let's get the ball rolling, eh?

Vote: Leopold Stotch

Claiming not to know who Sauron is after being so enthusiastic about the theme earlier on is too much off, along with the usual OT. :)

Marahumm's ponderings about Smeagol (spelling? :/) lead me to think one of two things about him. Either 1) he is one of the two and the role really does exist or 2) he's mafia and is trying to put us off thinking useless things, making us waste our time.

Orphan being a replacement alongside with Zarni going out of his way to actually remind people to use their nighttime abilities makes me think that Orhpan now holds a role that has a night time activity, be it pro- or anti-town.

Now feel free to commence lynching me. :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High