Lord of the Rings Forum Mafia Game

zarniwoop

Jan 10, 2006
Lord of the Rings Forum Mafia Game

THE RULES

1) You do not talk about your role or any other relevant information concerning the game outside this thread except specifically as directed by me in your role PM.

2) If you post at night, I will kill you.

3) If you edit your post, I will kill you (This includes editing for spelling mistakes).

4) If your role allows you to communicate with others during the night, feel free to do so via PM, instant messaging or any other form you choose. Only those roles expressly allowed to communicate privately with each other at night are allowed to. If you have any questions, contact me privately.

5) Dead wizards tell no tales. Once you're dead, stay that way. No posting or PMing if you die. Suck up your death and keep watching and rooting for your team. There's always the next round.

6) Every player gets one lynch vote during the day. Votes and unvotes need to be bolded . If your unvote isn't bold, it doesn't count. The votes and unvotes must be as follows:

Vote: ThunderCat
Unvote: ThunderCat

WRONG!!!
Vote: TC
Vote: ChunderTat
Vote Thundercat
Unvote i_like_pie

WRONG!!!

Anything else won't be tallied towards the lynch. If you try to cheat with ; or whatever else, feel free to, just hope the others won't catch you doing so. Also, names MUST BE CASE SENSITIVE.

7) The required number of votes to seal a lynch for the day is equal to one half the remaining number of people alive (rounded up) plus 1. Once someone reaches this number of votes, they will be lynched no matter what; however, the day will still continue to its scheduled conclusion. Half rounded up equals a lynch, but no lock, so the lynchee has until the day’s end to persuade the town otherwise.

8) Never post anything in the thread that shouldn't be known to the town. Don't flame in the thread. If you have a problem with anything in the thread, please PM me and I'll do my best to handle it.

9) Any player may claim any role. I.E. Any player may claim to be something that they are not. However,

10) Do not post any information sent to you in a pm. If you want to claim a role, don't copy paste the PM I sent you. If you're a townsfolk aka regular forum member, the only person you should be pm'ing (no private aim or msn conversations between each other) is me. Mafia can pm between themselves (or talk on msn or aim) only during the night.

11) I won't be telling you the starting roles. Some will be implied by the story.

12) Day lasts 48 hours and night lasts 24 hours.

13) Do not post at night or edit, or I will kill you.

14) You will get mod killed if you are inactive (at least 1 contributive post a day).

15) Read the rules once more. Have Fun! Good luck! May the best team win.

16) This game or event as we call it starts with a night phase
17) Anything I pm you in your role thread, can supersede any of these rules. If I said “do not hint that you know the identity of player X”, don’t look at rule 10 and try it. I’ll snuff you like a candle.
I gave this game a lot of thought. I hope you all have fun playing it.

Addendum, I didn't spell this out to some of you. DO NOT OUT ANYONE ELSE'S ROLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW IT FROM YOUR PM MESSAGE.

DAY ONE vote tally:
Ankeli: 5 (boogyman19946, ThunderCat, Leo, Gorny, Mara)
ThunderCat: 3 (flubbucket, Ankeli, nurnan)

DAY TWO vote tally:
LeopoldStotch: 7 (Noodle, Ankeli, boogyman19946, BadAsh, Laarz, Gorny, nurman)

DAY THREE vote tally:
Gorny: 5 (Bad Ash, flubbucket, Noodle, boogyman19946, Orphan)

The Cast:

Gandalf - Sathoris
Aragorn - Noodle
Legolas - boogy
Gimli - Flip
Boromir - wickedswami
Frodo - Bad Ash
Sam - Ankeli
Elrond - Laarz
Bombadil - Flub
Eowyn - nurman
Sauron - Leo
Saruman - Gorny
Wraith King - Mara
Gollum - Hurnin (vanished without a word - replaced by Orphan)
Shelob - TC

Last edited:
Re: Lord of the Rings Forum Mafia Game

Elrond paced over the weather-beaten terrace that overlooked the Rivendell valley. How many days had it been since the decisions that would decide the fate of Middle Earth had been made in this very spot? He spent a quiet moment reflecting. Not once in his long memory could he remember such anger, strife and disruption in a meeting between friends and long-time allies. There would be blood and horror on a scale not seen for an age over a ring. He knew a moment of regret. He could feel his time ending. Soon he would need to pass on to the west. It was a bitter thought that because of the failure of men, the work of ages might come to naught - almost certainly come to naught, he corrected himself. And then darkness would roll over Middle Earth once more, unless the mad plan they had embraced came to fruition. Even Elrond could never have foreseen the fate of middle earth resting on the small, but sturdy shoulders of the little folk. It was out of his hands. By now they would be….

… climbing arduously to the top of the ragged slash of stone, Sam flopped to the ground and sighed. We’re lost Mr. Frodo and no mistake. Frodo trudged wearily to the base of the structure and leaned his forehead against the uncaring rocks. “I need to rest Sam. It’s starting to get heavier.” Sam climbed down quickly, digging out some of the elven bread and handing it to his master. A miserable, gray, rain began to spatter the deeply etched granite around them. He was watching his master slowly losing his strength to the ring he bore around his neck like a boulder. Frodo looked paler, more gaunt, and more haunted every day, almost seeming to fade before his eyes. Sam wanted to pound the rock in frustration. If only they could find their way out of this terrible maze of endless crags, they could find the path to….

…Mordor. For an age of men, the forces of darkness had been mustering in secret. His fortress was made impregnable. His army swelled into numbers uncountable. But all this was beneath notice for the dark entity known to the world as Sauron. His every thought was focused on the Ring. It was his. It was him. He was part of the ring, had poured his strength and life into it and its absence was like an ragged, open wound that he’d withstood for Eons. Nothing mattered besides regaining his ring. Not all the combined forces of Middle Earth could stand against him once it was in his hands again. He cast his all-seeing eye outward and found the wraith…

…riding his jet black steed through the darkness where he knew no fear. The once king of men, was now the essence of malice given shape with shadow and a black cloak, the strength of his master within him. No man could kill him. He was Sauron's creature for all eternity, held captive by the unbreakable bonds of greed and envy he had forged for himself. And his master drove him with a relentless will that he could not resist. And right now that will was pushing him with all force to find the halflings. One of them bore ….

...“The ring. Yes, my precious", snarled the wretched, wasted creature as he crept closer to the lonely cottage. "It was stolen from us, precious. We will finds it, and wring their miserable necks. Nasty Bagginses. Filthy little thieves. They tricked us… tricksey hobbitses. It was our birthday present." Hunger finally drove through his hatred and fear and he climbed lithely through an open window where there was a cradle. He must be strong. He must be cunning. He must avoid…

….the ranger sat smoking with the remainder of the broken fellowship in their blankets nearby. He stared into the flames as his companions slept. “Where are you Frodo?” He wondered. One of the sleeping forms shifted fretfully. They were weary and hope was a tenuous thing in the darkness. “We need you Gandalf”, he whispered. "Show us the path out of this dark indecision". Hundreds of leagues away, the hooves of Shadowfax thundered over the plains. Glowing white beard and hair streaming behind him, Gandalf the Gray was coming.

The battle for middle earth was about to begin. Only the wisest knew that the true battle would be fought without a single sword in the land of the enemy against terror, starvation, malice and a tiny ring that would stop at nothing to be reunited with the hand that had forged it.

It is now night time. The night will last until I wake up and decide it’s time to play tomorrow, but NOT MORE THAN 24 hours. I expect it to last until about noon EST tomorrow. Do NOT post in this thread until I have posted the day’s opening story. The day does not begin until I have posted.

If you have night time business with me, get on it (I may not reply until I get home in a few hours if you have questions).

EDIT: Edited the story so it doesn't look as if it was written in 15 minutes at work by a trained monkey. Now: 30 minutes and 3 monkeys.

Last edited:

Just a reminder to those of you who are new to playing with us here:

If I've given you a daily ability, you need to pm me before the game starts tomorrow with how you plan to use that ability.

Headed to bed soon.

Last edited:

I've sent out reminders to everyone that's failed to perform their night action.

The day is about to begin.

Last edited:

The remainder of the fellowship rose before the sun. With a firm, yet gentle hand Aragorn shook each of the sleeping figures and whispered that it was time to move. One of them slept on. With a cold heart, Aragorn turned Gimli to face the sky that he would never see again. Legolas collapsed to his knees beside the dwarf that had become his greatest and most unexpected friend. “If Sauron can deliver death across the leagues without the ring, what will he be capable of should he find it?” Tendrils of sorrow and dread infused the camp, but with a will of iron, Aragorn locked eyes with each of them, and they felt buffered. The resolve to continue until hope was lost and beyond returned. They quietly gathered their gear and continued their journey. The paths of the dead awaited.

On the walls of Gondor there was fear in the night. A dark cloud began to swirl over the Black Gates far to the east. Sauron was angry.

Flip10thMtn is dead. He was Gimli the dwarf.

Players left alive:
Ankeli
Bad Ash
boogyman19946
flubbucket
Gorny
Laarz
Leopold Stotch
Marahumm
Noodle
nurman
Orphan
Sathoris
ThunderCat
wickedswami

IT IS NOW DAYTIME. You may post freely.

7 to lynch, 8 to lock.

Last edited:

Might as well get the ball rollin.

The biggest clue we have right now is:

[QUOTE = Zarniwoop]
Addendum, I didn't spell this out to some of you. DO NOT OUT ANYONE ELSE'S ROLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW IT FROM YOUR PM MESSAGE. [/QUOTE]

There would be no point in outing an ally's role, so I can only imagine that Zarni would say this if someone had a role that was linked to another's that had a different alliance. With that in mind, I have a theory that the Gollum role is shared by two people; one pro-town Smiegal (sp?), and anti-town Gollum. Considering they are one in the same, would people agree that if we kill one, we kill the other?

This makes sense.

I'm sure Noodle will blame Bad Ash for it.

Yes, I naturally suspect Bad Ash was up to no good last night.

As far as Marahumm's theory goes, it seems logical. No way to know if it's accurate or not at the moment, of course.

[QUOTE = Zarniwoop]
Addendum, I didn't spell this out to some of you. DO NOT OUT ANYONE ELSE'S ROLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW IT FROM YOUR PM MESSAGE.

There would be no point in outing an ally's role, so I can only imagine that Zarni would say this if someone had a role that was linked to another's that had a different alliance. With that in mind, I have a theory that the Gollum role is shared by two people; one pro-town Smiegal (sp?), and anti-town Gollum. Considering they are one in the same, would people agree that if we kill one, we kill the other?[/QUOTE]

are you suggesting a Jekyll and Hyde type role; similar to the one Wiki and i had in our werewolf game months ago?

I think gollum will be neutral role, all packed for one person.

The first thing that came to mind when I read that was a mason type role. But your theory sounds true for the moment, Marahumm.

hmm, we have fifteen characters in the game and now one of them was dead; flip proved to be Gimli.

We could assume that we are dealing with 2-3 mafia and as Marahumm suggested we could have 2 peeps playing golum, which narrows things down to 13 roles.

Let's see how these would map out:

The mafia would most likely consist of:
1.Sauron - Mafia boss obviously. He would be most likely to me the Mafia spy since the one who's looking for the ring and ultimately takes care of the more juicy enemies.
2.Saruman - He could be the mafia blocker since Sauron mostly used him to occupy people so that they don't focus on Mordor.
15. Orc ?? XD - Obviously the mafia hitman

Second Faction/Lone Ranger/Neutral role:
3.Gollum/ - Tries to find Frodo and in the eventual situation that he does, he gets to kill him and take over the ring
12.Smeagol - No idea....

and the pro-townies would be a team of:
4.Aragorn (duh) - The cop. That would make sense to me. If it doesn't to you, watch the movie :) or simply a mason.
5.Gandalf - I believe that this is the more likely role to be the dual wield as Mara suggested. Saruman was Gandalf's mentor so naturally, Gandalf would know who Saruman is. We could say that the good guys (at least those that travel together in the movie) are mason groups, such as Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli or Frodo and Sam.
6.Legolas - err, Mason?
7.Gimli (who's dead) - again, Mason
8.Frodo - The bearer of the ring. Maybe he attempts to find Gollum and kill him :\ Hard to say
9.Sam - If I was the maker of the game, I would make a custom role here. Sam would be the protector of Frodo and in order for Frodo to die, Sam would have to die first. Unless Frodo is targeted twice, then both of them die. Of course... the chances that this is the reality are ridiculous XD It's like finding a HR before 1.13
10.Pippin - regular townie
11.Merry - regular townie
13.Bilbo - regular townie
14.Elrond - Doctor

Obviously, we have not idea who is who, but this is just an idea of what we might be dealing with and what the power possibilities are.

Just FYI - if today shows signs of the typical day 1 sluggishness, I may end it after 24 hours and start night 2 just to keep things moving along.

Edit: Also, modkilling is essentially not an option in this game as it's balanced on the edge of a knife blade. I would like to hear from people watching this game if they would be willing to be an emergency fill-in just in case someone vanishes (Zhao, Orphan, JasonMauer, etc...).

Just FYI - if today shows signs of the typical day 1 sluggishness, I may end it after 24 hours and start night 2 just to keep things moving along.

iight dawg

Are we supposed to have a lynch on day one or no? I could figure out which would be better throughout all the games I've played in :crazyeyes:

This game is live, lynches start today. I'll update the post that started today with lynch numbers.

guess i will have to see the movie. :D XD awesome! we have the first one on DVD. guess i know what i will be doing tonight: making spaghetti and meatsauce (or meatballs? i think meatballs) and watching LotR. yay! :D

now, being KINDA clueless as to specific details, why would Elrond (that's Agent Smith, yes? not LITERALLY, but the same guy?) be the doc? i understand why Aragorn could be the cop as you suggested (doesn't he track things or something? again, i have seen parts of LotR and i know that much)? Gandalf and Saurman ofc are arch nemeses so they would be after each other. what could Gimli have been? Vigi? and who is Sauran? is that the flaming eye over the mtn or whatever?

Leo is a bit confused. help please so i can keep things straight in my notes. :)

Is that optional or do we not have a say in that ?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High