Half Life Mafia Game - Live Free or Die

Re: Half Life Mafia Game - Live Free or Die

Seriously I do not agree with ending day one early. Day one lynches are important. So if the day is going to end early, I might as well try to start a bandwagon.

Vote: LozHinge the Unhinged

Sorry for the brief post, also at work, but I don't have near as much time as some of you do.

Damn, Leo's really stepping up her game, introducing spam in the very first non-mod post.

The day will not end today. If the schedule gets in the way of the game, that's not a good thing. So, the game will end after work tomorrow. Full 48 hour day.

Also, I'm NOT going to enforce the exact spelling rule. I will alter that appropriately. If I am sure I know who you are voting for, and please at least make the attempt to get it right, then that's who you are voting for.

HOWEVER, I am not altering the bolding rules. I'm not going to allow anyone to sneak a vote in amongst other text or something. Bold, on both the vote and the unvote or no deal.

Yay for being a candidate for 1st Day bandwagon! Makes me glad that I actually survived a Night 1 NK :)

Seriously though, I believe in a lynch every day being good for the town and support it (preferably, it wouldn't be me as the lynchee, but hey ho.).

Right, let's draw some lines and make some connections.

1. Leo - spamalicious as ever but her eagerness to post as soon as the game began is a Mafia-in-plain-sight tell in my book. Not a solid read though. Tick as potential mafia
2. Caluin Graye - injecting humour into the proceedings is good, these games are often too serious. Attempting to ingratiate? Tick as potential mafia.
3. Goryani - scumhunting straight out of the blocks, as usual. Solid town read but then, that's what Goryani will want us to think. Tick as potential mafia.
4. Noodle - As always .... Tick as potential mafia.
5. ThunderCat - attempt to "side" with me in Post 27 or just giving me credit for my not-very-insightful observation of a there being no NK. Guess what? Tick as potential mafia.
6. kestegs - Post #15 set my mafia-detector needle twitching.. Don't know why, it was like anyone else's "We have nothing to go on" post, but the timbre of the post rang a small bell. Tick as potential mafia.
7. Noammr - hellloooo????? Tick as potential mafia.
8. Flip10thMtn - (I've always liked that screen handle, makes me think of MorningLightMountain from that Peter Hamilton SF series - actually, that was one serious baddie ...) - no read as no content. Tick as potential mafia.
9. Uraj - no rush, in your own time big fella. Tick as potential mafia.
10. Valhauros - the epitome of helpful townie plus overly comncerned over when the day ends? Nah, it's probably nothing. But still. Tick as potential mafia.
11. Feysal - is he even playing? Tick as potential mafia.
12. Ankeli - usual Ankeli start, incisive and goes for the throat. I prefer this to quiet Ankeli. His "instincts" are uncommonly good, which makes a person wonder where he gets his info from. In this case, he got it from an informant from "The News Of THe World", as his info is not reliable on this occasion. Bold move for a mafia to try to start a bandwagon on Day 1 - perhaps. Tick as potential mafia.
13. Asrrin - treading water, as are we all, plus a bandwagon vote on yours truly. Second vote, which is what all the fashionable mafiia do these days now that 3rd/4th vote is seen as a mafia tell. Tick as potential mafia.
14. Laarz - going for Ankeli in a fairly low-key way. If Ankeli is our best scumhunter, that casts Laarz in a poor light. Tick as potential mafia.
15. CoolguyBad - non-contributive thus far. Tick as potential mafia.
16. I_Told_You - players making explanations of a mods activities makes me suspicious for some reason. See Post 29. Tick as potential mafia.
17. Bad Ash - nudging the conversation along, trying to blend. Tick as potential mafia.
18. coju - dude, seriously, well done for not being NK'd on Night 1 of your first ever forum game of Mafia. The "I'm a Clueless Newbie" card got played, which once in a blue moon is a mafia tell - maybe once in a full moon, come to think of it. Tick as potential mafia.
19. Loz - clearly mafia. Oh wait, no I'm not. I trust him.
20. Zarniwoop - he is evil. Tick as potential mafia.

I hope this summary is a big help, I worked hard on it.

Loz, I'll give the Reader's Digest version of your post: Anyone could be mafia.

I know, Noodle, but my post had bullet points. Yours did not.
Naturally, that makes me righter than you are.

Boo for revised rules including format voting.

Seems to me Zarni is placing this round in the HL2 timeline, could mean we won't be seeing too many Xen wildlife as per the game, but we'll see.

Possible scum role breakdown as I see it, coupled with wiki links for the clueless:
(links are rife with spoilers so be warned if you haven't played and you don't want the game's plot revealed) :whistling:

Combine:
I'd expect to see the Combine as a primary anti-town faction (roles could vary among Overwatch soldiers and elites and maybe a hunter thrown in for good measure...probably along with Breen as godfather or something).

G-man
Will probably appear as a separate faction (could be solo anti-town or able to choose his side, his agenda was never made 100% clear in the game).

Headcrabs could come into play as a Combine tool/ability or in some other way, can't really see them functioning as a standalone faction. Doubt we'll be seeing any Portal characters but who knows.
If they're indeed in play, targeted townies could either turn into s/k type roles or an additional faction (zombies/headcrabs are utilized by the combine in the game but are not friendly to them).

Sincerely, a concerned citizen.

Also, I'm NOT going to enforce the exact spelling rule. I will alter that appropriately. If I am sure I know who you are voting for, and please at least make the attempt to get it right, then that's who you are voting for.

HOWEVER, I am not altering the bolding rules. I'm not going to allow anyone to sneak a vote in amongst other text or something. Bold, on both the vote and the unvote or no deal.

Yay!
Bolding was never an issue afaik, it makes sense to leave that part in place.

Also- triple post ftw.

Seems to me Zarni is placing this round in the HL2 timeline, could mean we won't be seeing too many Xen wildlife as per the game, but we'll see.

IIRC, there was a ton of Xen wildlife in Half Life 2. Headcrabs galore, Antlions, Barnacles, and those fish thingies that people reference but you never fight. I just think it'd be hard to implement any of them as a role. "You are Lamarr, a debeaked headcrab. lol."

I'd expect them to be seen as flavor for kills, with Combine dudes playing the roles of mafia. Of course, anything at this point is simply pure speculation.

I imagine it would work the same way this one does.

How does night talk or night actions work? I'd think it would be rather obvious a group of people are going off into a corner to discuss amongst themselves then one whispers something to the mod afterword.

Eh! You're asking a lot of questions. Makes me wonder....

Maybe you're for the town. Trying to decide through reasoning "those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers."

Whoa. I watched Pulp Fiction last night while cooking dinner. Are you one of those brain sucking headcrabs latched on to me noggin absorbing my thoughts and memories?

Odd. I haven't found anyone suspicious yet, and let's be honest here, by this time I usually have half of the anti-towns identified. ;)

Possibilities:
Scum haven't posted yet.
Scum have stealth technology to avoid Ankeli-dar.
Ankeli is scum.

Following Ankeli isn't a half bad strategy for D1. He seems to have a higher than average success rate for finding scum D1. Assuming I want to utilize this strategy, what would be the correct choice: Focus on inactives or focus on posters that can avoid or are avoiding Ankeli-dar? Ankeli?

Zarniwoop said:
Edit: Day 1 will start whenever I get home from work and put together some story that incorporates the night actions. Make sure your actions or questions are in by then. Expect it to be somewhere between 7pm EST and 8pm EST

I may be reading too much into that, but Zarni needed time to incorporate night actions into his story, and then there wern't any mentioned? Perhaps an inactive mafia or maybe confusion over the day start time.:scratchchin:

A first day with no night kills gives us no clues, so I guess it's just a matter of waiting for people to post.

First off, I notice this was edited out by Zarniwoop though I distinctly remember reading it before. However, I didn't remember the part about sending questions in. It's probably referring to questions players have about their roles, in which case, I'm expecting some weird/uncommon roles.

Secondly, I too noticed the "incorporate night actions" bit, though I didn't come to the same conclusion about inactive mafia or a night kill that wasn't sent in. If ITY flips mafia, I expect mafia to be present and accounted for (active).

The day start story points me in a different direction:
The day dawned, and absolutely nothing happened during the night. All was silent except for the occasional explosion far away.

Perhaps I too am reading too much into things, but the underlined part sounds like either a global roleblock or a pre-planned 'no actions the first night' design. A pre-planned 'no actions the first night' scenario seems counter to "incorporate night actions into the story" so I'm leaning on some type of global roleblock.

Lack of comments about "absolutely nothing happened during the night" caused my "deja vu all over again" comment. This game is similar to a particular past game in that a number of players avoided talking about a certain subject which could be very important. Yet this game is different in that it's entirely conceivable some pro-town players know if they were blocked or weren't allowed to send in a N1 action, and therefore have private information with which to make some educated guesses or watch for others' reactions. At any rate, I don't get the 'conspiracy of silence' vibe I got in the last game.

I don't get what a combine has to do with this game.

On a more serious note, I agree that Ankeli has been spot on with this scum radar in past games, but I keep wondering, when is his luck going to run out? Are you basing your suspicions on something other than your gut, Ankeli? Or is this just a bogus vote to get reactions?

Focus on inactives or focus on posters that can avoid or are avoiding Ankeli-dar? Ankeli?

In all honesty I'd vote for someone who's just dropping by to shoot in one post today.

On a more serious note, I agree that Ankeli has been spot on with this scum radar in past games, but I keep wondering, when is his luck going to run out? Are you basing your suspicions on something other than your gut, Ankeli? Or is this just a bogus vote to get reactions?

It's always just a gut feeling, I've rarely had proof for any of my claims. :( But the vote on Loz was just to get something going, and at least it got a reaction out of him. Although all he said in a huge post was that anyone could be mafia. But yeah, just to get the convo moving.

Unless the stars align I'm going to drop my vote tomorrow on someone who's acting stealthy and inconspicuous. For ****s and giggles I'll leave it on Loz for now.

Time for a vote.
I'll be honest, this is a "finger in the air" job, but I cannot shake that first-impression thing I got with his post ...

Vote: kestegs

I'll get behind any real lynch train though, it would be nice to get a lynch down on D1 for once. You gotta start somewhere (and preferably not with me), so let's get to work now, so we don't run out of time.

If I'm not mistaken:

19 total members
Mafia targets 1/18 (obviously not self)
Doc targets 1/19 to protect

19x18= odds they will target the same person (without any other factors ofc )

The odds of Soandso being targeted by mafia and doc saved is close to 1:342. However, the odds of someone, anyone, doc saved is much higher since mafia and doc both targeting Soandso isn't the only possibility which results in a doc save. There are something like 19 possible 'same person' choices which yield a possible doc save. 19 possible (1/19)*(1/19) still yields a 1/19 chance. Technically, it's x*(1/19)*(1/x) where x is 19 minus the number of mafia in the game. After some algebra, you arrive at 1/19.

Think of it another way. There are 19 marbles in the bag. Mafia target one and smear it with blood. They don't choose themselves obviously, so there are fewer than 19 possibilities for the blood smeared marble, but that doesn't matter. The doc has no idea who the mafia are, so the doc can't eliminate those possibilities. From the doc's point of view, any of the 19 marbles are possible targets so the doc has a 1 in 19 chance of picking the blood smeared marble.

Damn, Leo's really stepping up her game, introducing spam in the very first non-mod post.

Should we vote prod her? If not, did you have some other reason for the comment?

3. Goryani - scumhunting straight out of the blocks, as usual. Solid town read but then, that's what Goryani will want us to think. Tick as potential mafia.

Flattery will get you nowhere. Or was that flattery will get you everywhere. I can't decide.

Several of those reads sound like they tickled your mafia sensitive cilia. Earlier you said one person had. Obviously, others could have tickled your cilia since then (Do others know you are licking them?) but I'm unable to detect which person that first foul taste came from. You're still licking I presume. Let us know who tastes funny before you get to the center of the mafia-pop.

12. Ankeli - usual Ankeli start, incisive and goes for the throat. I prefer this to quiet Ankeli. His "instincts" are uncommonly good, which makes a person wonder where he gets his info from. In this case, he got it from an informant from "The News Of THe World", as his info is not reliable on this occasion. Bold move for a mafia to try to start a bandwagon on Day 1 - perhaps. Tick as potential mafia.

:lol2:

Mafia tell! Townies were secretly told that this game is Tractors vs Combines. I'm a 1954 International Harvester Farmall Super C.

Not really.

It's always just a gut feeling, I've rarely had proof for any of my claims. :( But the vote on Loz was just to get something going, and at least it got a reaction out of him. Although all he said in a huge post was that anyone could be mafia. But yeah, just to get the convo moving.

Unless the stars align I'm going to drop my vote tomorrow on someone who's acting stealthy and inconspicuous. For ****s and giggles I'll leave it on Loz for now.

This strikes me as very un-Ankeli. Normally, once pressure is applied it's let up only at the end of the day and only if the pressured player is nowhere near being lynched and even then, you would say something like "I still think Loz is scum and needs to be lynched, the town needs to lynch him tomorrow."

Granted, it's day 1 and all, and some of your D1 votes are test votes, but I've never seen you admit as much ~4 hours after the test vote was first placed. Your test vote gambit was abandoned awfully fast.

Time for a vote.
I'll be honest, this is a "finger in the air" job, but I cannot shake that first-impression thing I got with his post ...

I'll get behind any real lynch train though, it would be nice to get a lynch down on D1 for once. You gotta start somewhere (and preferably not with me), so let's get to work now, so we don't run out of time.

You answered my earlier question before you even saw it. Are you a headcrab partner with coju?

I didn't have a good first impression of kestegs either. His math looks suspiciously like math from mafia knowing they targeted a specific player and the doc also target a specific player. On the other hand, the math could be inexperience with probability and/or mafia and Loz could be deflecting attention from himself while sucking up to me (must...keep...comments...rated PG...). I'm curious what others think about that last part (Loz deflecting).

/Loz - prepares a crystal vase and nice bouquet for Goryani.

I too was surprised to see Ankeli appear to back down from a hot pursuit, not his usual style at all. Had I not been the initial target of an Ank-attack, I may have suspected a bit of play-acting, a feint situation, with Ankeli and his target linked in some way. As it is, I know there is no link between us so I am left wondering what Ankeli is actually doing.

Gory has intrigued me with the headcrab/coju question. That was a pretty random idea thrown out there, and why coju? ... duly noted for future reference.

It is almost certain that I am going to bed now, too many late nights in a row as left Loz a muzzy-headed fellow.

Greetz/nightz :)

Should we vote prod her? If not, did you have some other reason for the comment?

Meh. I was just annoyed with myself. When I read her comment on sewing a backpack or whatever the heck it was, my first reaction SHOULD have been, "Oh, that's Leo, that's just spam. You can ignore it." Instead, my reaction was, "Oh, snap, I obviously missed something either in Zarniwoop's writeup, or in the Half Life research I did." I ended up wasting a bunch of time trying to figure out what the heck she was talking about. Which is why I don't like spam in these games. I'm not against spam - I love it, and am fond of Leo of course, but spam within the context of these games can be really annoying.

That's the long answer. The short answer is that I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about vote prodding her. If it will result in more on-topic posts to defend herself, it would probably be a good thing.

Why is it I'm only talking to you here?

How does night talk or night actions work? I'd think it would be rather obvious a group of people are going off into a corner to discuss amongst themselves then one whispers something to the mod afterword.

No, during a live mafia, everybody bows their head and closes their eyes, then the Mafia raise their head and point at who they want voted for. There's a moderator as well who gets to walk round the circle and help coordinate things. Docs, cops, and so forth. Obviously not as indepth as a forum based mafia game.

Whoa. I watched Pulp Fiction last night while cooking dinner. Are you one of those brain sucking headcrabs latched on to me noggin absorbing my thoughts and memories?

I watched Pulp Fiction too! Also whilst cooking dinner!

Angry eh? Which player do you not want me to ask questions of, or which questions do you not want me to ask?

If, this is true, you'll stop asking suspicious questions about me and you won't vote for me. Unless I vote for myself through you, thus, thwarting all suspicions of me being a headcrab.

I wouldn't even know how to be a headcrab.

18. coju - dude, seriously, well done for not being NK'd on Night 1 of your first ever forum game of Mafia. The "I'm a Clueless Newbie" card got played, which once in a blue moon is a mafia tell - maybe once in a full moon, come to think of it. Tick as potential mafia.

Thanks Loz! Too bad it's almost a New Moon! Blue Moon does sound nice though.

Odd. I haven't found anyone suspicious yet, and let's be honest here, by this time I usually have half of the anti-towns identified. ;)

I believe you self-identified, youself. ;)

Vote: Ankeli

Vote: Bad Ash
Unvote: Bad Ash
Unvote: kestegs
Unvote: LozHinge the Unhinged

It's about time I made my presence in this game known, though I am off to a bad start. Late night start of day followed by a day when I'm so physically exhausted I can barely think of anything mafia related is not good for me. Don't expect to get anything too coherent out of me until I've had at least one good night's rest this week.

I've read the thread, and see little worth commenting on. There is some speculation on the lack of a night kill, which is of course ultimately useless since even if we knew the truth, we would be no closer to identifying any mafia. There was some talk on the setup and the Half-Life universe, and I have nothing to say there, having never played any of the games, and all I've read about so far is my own role and some backstory. There are some comments on players I could agree with, but I've picked up nothing particularly strong yet.

So for now, I'll just say goodnight and talk to you all tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep and slam my head on the keyboard.

Vote: Bad Ash
Unvote: Bad Ash
Unvote: kestegs

It's about time I made my presence in this game known, though I am off to a bad start. Late night start of day followed by a day when I'm so physically exhausted I can barely think of anything mafia related is not good for me. Don't expect to get anything too coherent out of me until I've had at least one good night's rest this week.

I've read the thread, and see little worth commenting on. There is some speculation on the lack of a night kill, which is of course ultimately useless since even if we knew the truth, we would be no closer to identifying any mafia. There was some talk on the setup and the Half-Life universe, and I have nothing to say there, having never played any of the games, and all I've read about so far is my own role and some backstory. There are some comments on players I could agree with, but I've picked up nothing particularly strong yet.

So for now, I'll just say goodnight and talk to you all tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep and slam my head on the keyboard.

Complaining about not being able to make the first part of a game? sounds like a sore mafioso who wasn't able to get his night kill in to me. Even more so the fact that you are usually a blood hound out the gate like me, and you sound so wishy washy right now it's pathetic.

Vote: Feysal

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High