Half Life Mafia Game - Live Free or Die

zarniwoop

Jan 10, 2006
Half Life Mafia Game - Live Free or Die

The game has begun.

For those so inclined, here's a summary of the story timeline of the half life universe. I'll edit this post tomorrow with the rules.

Mods if you could sticky, I'd appreciate it.

Half-Life Universe Story/Timeline:
http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

Characters of interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Half-Life

Note, not every character listed here will have a place in the game. Not every character in the game is listed.

Roles
1. Leo - Pro-earth freedom fighter
2. Caluin Graye - Alyx Vance
3. Goryani - Eli Vance
4. Noodle - Headcrab
5. ThunderCat - Combine Soldier
6. kestegs - Pro-earth Freedom Fighter
7. Noammr - Pro-earth freedom fighter
8. Flip - Pro-earth freedom fighter
9. Uraj - Colonel Cubbage
10. Valhauros - Dr. Kleiner
11. Feysal - Advisor
12. Ankeli - GMan
13. Asrrin - Barney Calhoun
14. Laarz - Father Gregori
15. CoolGuyBad - pro earth ff
16. ITY - Pro-earth freedom fighter
17. Bad Ash - Gordon Freeman
18. coju - Pro-earth freedom fighter
19. Loz - Dr. Breen

THE LIST OF ROLES:

Pro-Earth

Gordon Freeman: You are Gordon Freeman. You are the hope of the underground resistance, and the tool of unknown forces. Despite your scientific training and lack of any covert skills, you have consistently proven to be a threat to the combine (anti-earth) forces. If you can get your hands on a weapon, you can attempt to kill one player a night.

Unspoken role info: The crowbar will only kill a headcrab. The shotgun will allow you to kill any mafia except the Advisor.

Alyx Vance: You are Alyx Vance. You are a fierce freedom fighter and a brilliant, budding scientist in your own right. You have taken it upon yourself to protect Gordon Freeman. There's just something about him, even though he rarely speaks that makes you believe in him. You are willing to die for him and there's a chance you will. If Gordon dies, there will be consequences for you. You may also choose one person on even nights to protect and have a reasonable chance of success.

Hidden info: bodyguard with a very minor twist. If Gordon is killed, there is a 50 percent chance you die in his place. The nk protection you provide is 50 percent. If Gordon dies, the nk protection you provide drops to 25 percent. You also have a default 25 percent nk protection against the mafia hitman that fades if Gordon or your father die.

Eli Vance: You are Eli Vance, the brilliant head of the research team that is attempting to develop an answer to the combine threat. You have the ability to meet with the pro-earth council at night. You will set up the thread for this discussion. You will never out anyone's role on the Mason team.

Unspoken info: I had a very expanded role planned for this character, but I needed at least 2-3 more people. On a nk Eli would have been imprisoned at nova prospekt. There would have been personal missions given out to save him within X days.

Isaac Kleiner: You are Isaac Kleiner. You can talk to the other town masons at night. You cannot mention the other mason's roles for any reason in the game thread. If you survive for 3 days you will create the technology that will give your forces a chance against the combine.

Hidden info: If you survive for 6 days you will create an additional tech that gives the entire town 25 percent nk protection for 2 nights. This will not stack with bodyguard protection. It will stack with innate protection.

Barney Calhoun: You are an ex-Black Mesa security guard and a personal friend of Gordon Freeman. You may try every night to try to get him his trusty crowbar. You also have the ability to investigate one player a night. You are not an insane cop. If you role claim, even subtly, you lose your partial NK protection. A role claim is anything that hints at the fact you watched someone or know their allegiance based on your role.

Hidden info: you cannot successfully investigate the advisor (fear). Your partial nk protection is 50 percent.

Colonel Cubbage: You begin the game as a retired military advisor. That may change based on a variety of things. Stay tuned.

Hidden info: You are Barney's backup. You have no special powers but a very weak investigation. There is a 50 percent chance that anyone you investigate will catch you in the act. You then will automatically attempt to pin the blame on someone else on the town side (random roll) with a 50 percent chance of success.

My info: Thank goodness this one didn't come into play, as Uraj died the first night he could have used this at the very start of the night.

Father Gregori: You are a headcrab hunting maniac. You live in Ravenholm and you are a bit of a loon. However, what you do, you do well and what you do well is selecting one person a night for investigation. If they come back non-humaniod, you may try to kill them. You also may try to get Gordan Freeman his shotgun once per night. You are pro-earth.

Hidden info:
You can retaliate on a headcrab attempt on you. You will get some share in the victory if you succeed in wiping out the headcrab/zombie team and you get the gun to Gordon.

Combine

Dr. Breen: You are the administrator of City 17. You have been chosen by the alien combine to assist them in the assimilation of Earth's population as a slave race. You are the only one that may know the identity of the Advisor (godfather). You are his first lieutenant. You may speak in the mafia mason thread nightly and may NEVER discuss or mention the identity of the Advisor. His forum name must be some variation of TheAdvisor or at least not tied to his forum name in your mason thread. Note: This is flavor only as only Dr. Breen knows the Advisor even exists in the lore. You have no traitors amongst you. You have a 1 time use "Breencast" ability that will cause a successful lynch of you or Feysal to fail.

Advisor: You are The Advisor. You are a terrifying psionic entity that in some odd way, can tap into the vast portal energy generated by the combine. Protect this technology for it can also be your undoing. You are part of the mafia mason group. You MUST POST ANONYMOUSLY in the mafia mason thread as in the lore, only Dr. Breen knows your identity. Note: This is just a flavor twist for my own amusement. It will be a modkill offense for you to share your in-game identity with the mafia masons. By that I mean I will kill everyone on your team except for Dr. Breen. You are nk-proof and lynch-proof at the start of the game.

Hidden info: If Dr. Kleiner lives 3 days, you lose your lynch protection. If he dies before then, you lose it after 5 days. You cannot be investigated by anyone but the Gman.

Combine Soldier:
You are effectively the mafia hitman. You carry out the will of the Advisor.

Neutral

Headcrab: You are a head crab. You exist solely to infect others. You may recruit one other player to join you in your mindless existence. If your infected host dies, another may be recruited immediately. Recruiting may only take place on odd nights initially.

Hidden info: if you are killed, your host dies with you. After day 5, if you haven't recruited, you may try every night. You cannot infect the big power roles or any mafia player.

Gman: You are a an extra-dimensional bureaucrat. Your goals and aims are beyond the scope of the conflict around you. You share in the victory only if Gordon Freeman or Alyx Vance survive to the final day and the town loses. Your powers begin when you use the phrase "we'll just see about that" AND "sleeping on the job" in a single post. At that time, you become a treestump but you have a 1x double vote ability you may use. You also gain the ability to watch one person a night and gain full knowledge of their role and abilities in detail. You will automatically gain knowledge of the identity of Gordon and Alyx. You may never share this information with the town. You may never role claim. You may state that you are sure someone is pro-town or anti-town but you may never mention or allude to their role or your own OR your method of gaining that knowledge on pain of mod kill. You also gain the ability one time in this game to take either Alyx or Gordon outside of time. You may do this during the day or at night to stop a lynch or an NK attempt on Gordon or Alyx only. This is a touchy role. If you have any questions, ask me before you make a mistake.

You may lie all you want.

ADDITIONAL ROLES THAT DIDNT MAKE IT DUE TO PLAYER NUMBERS:
Dog
Judith Mossman - if we'd had 3 more players, this game would have been utterly insane
Dr. Magnesson
Vortigaunt
Strider - Can you imagine if I could have played the Dog vs. strider video?

Last edited:
Re: Half Life Mafia Game - Live Free or Die

THE RULES (Revised)

1) You do not talk about your role or any other relevant information concerning the game outside this thread.

2) If you post at night I will kill you, no matter what.

3) If you edit your post I will kill you (This includes editing for spelling mistakes)

4) If your role allows you to communicate with others during the night, feel free to do so via PM, instant messaging or any other form you choose. Only those roles expressly allowed to communicate privately with each other at night are allowed to. If you have any questions, contact me privately.

5) Once you're dead, stay that way. Dead people tell no tales, or in this case, dead people make no posts. Suck up your death and keep watching and rooting for your team. There's always the next round.

6) Every player gets one lynch vote during the day. Votes and unvotes need to be bolded . If your unvote isn't bold, it doesn't count. The votes and unvotes must be as follows:

If you obviously made a strong attempt to get the name right, and I'm very clear on whom you are voting for, then the vote counts. Otherwise, it will not.

f people alive (rounded up) plus one. Once someone reaches this number of votes, they will be lynched no matter what; however, the day will still continue to its scheduled conclusion. Half rounded up equals a lynch, but no lock, so the lynchee has until the days end to persuade the town otherwise.

8) Any posts that come AFTER the end day post or the intended end day time will not be counted, unless specified by the host. This includes votes.

9) Never post anything in the thread that shouldn't be known to the town. Don't flame in the thread. If you have a problem with anything in the thread, please PM me and I'll do my best to handle it.

10) Any player may claim any role. I.E. Any player may claim to be something that they are not. However,

11) Do not post any information sent to you in a pm. This includes, but is not limited to, numbers of words/letters/punctuation marks. If you want to claim a role, don't copy paste the PM I sent you. If you're a townsfolk aka regular forum member, the only person you should be pm'ing (no private aim or msn conversations between each other) is me. Mafia can pm between themselves (or talk on msn or aim) only during the night.

12) I won't be telling you the starting roles.

13) Day lasts 48 hours and night lasts 24 hours.

14) Do not post at night or edit or I will kill you.

15) You will get mod killed if you are inactive (at least 1 contributive post a day) or you get a forum temp ban.

16) Read the rules once more. Have Fun! Good luck! May the best team win.

17) If I give you rules that go beyond these, follow them or face the consequences.

18) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS AND NO QUITTING IN A HUFF. We all know it can get heated sometimes. But, everyone is devoting a ton of time to this, please don't spoil it.

Last edited:

Wake up Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes...

The words floated though Gordon Freeman's mind as he stepped off the train he didn't remember boarding. He was almost immediately accosted by a flying machine that looked like a cross between a video camera and a metallic flying squirrel that hovered in front of his face and began snapping pictures. He watched bewildered as the thing flew off, stopping occasionally to take pictures of others, seemingly at random. Shaking his head he began to explore his surroundings. It looked like something out of a George Orwell novel. A steadily moving line of vacant stares moved through a heavily fortified and gated area, watched carefully by armored men that could only be some form of security force. Occasionally a steel door would open and one of the miserable souls would be dragged out of line and shoved roughly inside. What was all this? How long had he been asleep? It was too much to digest, so he didn't. That's why he survived, he didn't waste time with "why" when it was time to move. Clearly the earth he'd known had changed drastically since his last memory. Try as he may, he could remember nothing since...

..."Black Mesa", muttered the bespectacled man. Eli, we haven't generated dimensional power gradients like these since our days at Black Mesa. Oh, dear me, I wish we could have access to even the meanest of the labs from those glorious halls. There was a thumping from the false lower leg fashioned from a length of industrial steel as his long-time partner and friend turned to him with a smile. "You're a worrier Izzy. If you're worried, I know that we're right on target. And this may not be Black Mesa, but we're making real progress now. Soon, we may have the ability not just to evade the Combine, but to take the fight to them. A shimmering sound like granite shattering down a well made of brass sounded in the distance. Eli sighed. Would the shelling ....

...."never stops! When will it all stop, it never ends", sobbed the woman huddled brokenly against the long-faced man next to her. They were wedged into a slime-filled, sooty gap in the tortured concrete and had lost all radio contact with the rest of their squad. The areas surrounding the cities resembled a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with gutted buildings, streets twisted and tortured into grotesque landscapes that belonged in the mind of the diseased, and things that were alive but shouldn't be. They were the few humans still resisting, a part of the pro-earth freedom fighters that were outnumbered and outgunned to the point where fighting on seemed the purest form of lunacy. But, there was the beginning of organization. There was the beginnings of intelligence and information beginning to leak back to command points spread out and hidden across the world in places no person or animal would deign to live unless pushed far beyond the point of desperation. But, hope was waning. It would take a major victory or the emergence of a charismatic leader to make any difference now. It would take someone like...

...Gordon Freeman walked out of the train station to a world beyond imagination. His eyes drifted side to side quickly, taking in the translucence of force fields, and massively reinforced steel barriers. They stopped as a gigantic video screen crackled to life in the center of the small square.

[YOUTUBE]tOyNzDALz7k[/YOUTUBE]

This was more than he'd signed up for when he said yes....

The last struggles for the survival of the human species has begun.

It is now night one. If you have business with me tonight, get to it.

Day 1 will end either Friday after I get home from work (7-8pm est), or today when I get home from work, based on the activity level

Players currently alive:
Caluin Graye
Flip
Feysal
Ankeli

Dead players:
Noammr
I_Told_You
coju
ThunderCat
kestegs
BadAsh
LeopoldStotch
LozHingeTheUnhinged
Goryani
Noodle
Uraj
Valhauros
Laarz

Night 1: Not a thing happened

Day 1: 10 votes required for lynch, 11 for lock - Noammr Lynched (Pro-Earth FF)

Volte Tally Day 1:

Asrrin (1): BadAsh
LeopoldStotch (3): Noammr, kestegs, ThunderCat
Noammr (10): Goryani, LozHingeTheUnhinged, I_Told_You, Valhauros, Uraj, Caluin Graye, Asrrin, Feysal, Flip10thMtn, coju

Night 2: Nothing happend

Day 2: 9 required for lynch, 10 for lock. I_Told_You was lynched (Pro-Earth FF).

Vote Tally:
Goryani (2) - coju, ThunderCat
I_Told_You (9) - Caluin Graye, Bad Ash, Asrrin, kestegs, I_Told_You, Valhauros, Laarz, Goryani, Uraj

Night 3:
coju was killed (pro-earth FF)

Day 3: 8 required to lynch, 9 to lock.

Vote Tally: (through page 52)
CaluinGraye (5) - BadAsh, Asrrin, Goryani, LozHingeTheUnhinged, Laarz
LeopoldStotch (4) - CaluinGraye, kestegs, Valhauros, Feysal
Valhauros 1) - LeopoldStotch
LozHingeTheUnhinged (2) - Flip10thMtn, Uraj

Night 4:
TC was killed (mafia hitman)

Day 4: (8 required to lynch, 9 to lock)

Vote Tally:
Leopold Stotch(1) - CoolGuyBad,
Asrrin (1) - kestegs
kestegs (9) - BadAsh, Valhauros, Asrrin, Feysal, Noodle, Flip10thMtn, Uraj, CaluinGraye, Laarz

Night 5:
BadAsh was killed (Gordon Freeman)

Day 5: (through Feysal's vote on page 76)
Ankeli (8) - Asrrin, LeopoldStotch, Uraj, CoolGuyBad, Flip10thMtn, Feysal, Valhauros, CaluinGraye
Noodle (2) - LozHingeTheUnhinged, Laarz

Night 6: Nothing happened

Day 6: (7 to lynch, 8 to lock)
Noodle (1) - Goryani
LozHingeTheUnhinged (7) - CaluinGraye, Flip10thMtn, Asrrin, Feysal, CoolGuyBad, Valhauros, Uraj
Noodle (1) - LozHingeTheUnhinged

Night 7:
Asrrin died (Barney pro-earth investigator)
CoolGuyBad died (Shambling zombie at time of death)

Day 7: (5 to lynch, 6 to lock)
LozHingeTheUnhinged (6) - CaluinGraye, Goryani, Flip10thMtn, Laarz, Uraj, Valhauros
Noodle (1) - LozHingeTheUnhinged

Night 8:

Goryani (eli vance), Uraj (Colonel Cubbage) and Noodle (head crab) died

Day 8:
Ankieli (4) - Valhauros, Caluin Graye, Flip10thMtn, Feysal

Night 9:
Valhauros (isaac kleiner) died. (pro-earth)

Day 9: (5 players alive - 3 to lynch, 4 to lock)
Ankeli (3) - Caluin Graye, Laarz, Flip10thMts

Night 10:
Laarz died (Father Gregori)

Day 10: (2 to lynch, 3 to lock)
Feysal (1) - Flip
Flip (3) - Feysal, Ankeli
Ankeli (1) - CaluinGraye

Last edited:

Game Summary:

Night 1: No one even bothered. Ankeli learned the identity/powers of Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance.

Day 1: Poor Noammr, the one guy that loved my story/lore got lynched (pro-earth FF)

Night 2:
Laarz investigated ITY for signs of crabs
Asrrin failed to give the crowbar to coju and failed to investigate Feysal (fear)
CG protected Goryani (43 out of 100)
TC attempts to kill Alyx but fails (23/100 rolled) - begin madness here
Ankeli learned of Feysal's role and powers

Day 2: ITY was lynched (pro-earth FF)

Night 3:
TC killed coju (pro-earth FF)
Asrrin gave BadAsh (Gordon Freeman) the crowbar
Asrrin investigated Uraj (pro-town)
Noodle attempted to recruit ThunderCat and failed (headcrab immunity)
Laarz tried to give the shotgun to Ankeli (GMan) and failed
Laarz investigated TC with negative results
Ankeli learned of kestegs role

Day 3: No lynch

Night 4:
Noodle Tried to recruit Bad Ash. Ash had a 50 percent chance to kill him. He failed (95/100 rolled).
Laarz stalked CaluinGraye, but Caluin is not a headcrab.
BadAsh tried to kill CaluinGraye (Alyx Vance), but failed as she is pro-earth
Laarz successfully passed the shotgun to Bad Ash (gordon freeman)
TC tried to kill Bad Ash and got smoked by both barrels (lucky sob).

Day 4: kestegs kept the pro-earth FF train alive by getting lynched.

Night 5:
Ankeli investigated Laarz
Noodle recruited CGB
Feysal killed Bad Ash, CaluinGraye failed to protect with a roll of 60/100.
CaluinGraye failed to die in Ash's place with a roll of 79/100.
Laarz investigated Asrrin but obviously he's not a headcrab
Asrrin investigated CaluinGraye

Day 5: Ankeli was chosen for lynch but is immune.

Night 6:
Feysal failed to kill Caluin Graye because Ankeli used his one protection.
Asrrin investigated Flip10thMtn
Caluin Graye protected Asrrin
After this night, Feysal hated me forever.

Day 6:
Loz was selected for lynch, but used his one time "Breencast" ability and evaded.
After today, the entire town hated me forever.

Night 7:
Asrrin investigated CGB
Laarz found CGB and killed him. Noodle scuttled away.
Feysal killed Asrrin
Ankeli investigated CGB
This was a bad night for CGB

Day 7: Loz was lynched with feeling (Mafia - Dr. Breen).

Night 8:
Noodle recruited Uraj successfully
Laarz investigated Noodle and killed him
Feysal killed Uraj out from under Noodle
Feysal killed Goryani
Ankeli investigated Flip

Day 8:
Ankeli selected for lynch but he cannot be lynched.
Asrrin checks himself into a funny farm

Night 9:
CG protected Laarz (83 fail)
Feysal killed Valhauros

Day 9:
Ankeli selected for lynch for the third time, but cannot be lynched.
This HAS to be a record.
After today, I hated everyone forever.

Night 10: Feysal killed Laarz
I think Ankeli investigated someone, but who cares?

Day 10:Ankeli used his one time double vote to get Flip lynched (pro-earth FF)

The mafia and Ankeli win, and Laarz gets an honorable mention.

Last edited:

The day dawned, and absolutely nothing happened during the night. All was silent except for the occasional explosion far away.

Gordon woke to the sound of the video screen kicking on. He rose from the cold, gravel of the roof he'd slept on, and gazed down into the square to see the smug face of Dr. Breen once more.

[YOUTUBE]R153-Pl5Mxk[/YOUTUBE]

He listened for a minute then turned away in disgust. It was time for action. He vanished down a ladder (breaking many crates along the way), climbed into a window and was gone.

Day 1 has begun, you may now post freely.

Length of day will be 48 hours, or when I feel its just not worth prolonging due to inactivity.

Last edited:

so i think i finally figured it out.

Half Life and Portal are two different games. the analogy used for this 15 minute discussion was sewing backpacks. there is a set pattern for it, but one is blue and the other is orange. :alright: the whole term "game engine" was throwing me off. >.>

Sewing backpacks!?

(tldr: I have yet to figure this out. afaik I'm stuck in some train in this forbidden place.)

I guess I'm going to have to play these games to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing here... I may get sucked into playing Team Fortress for hours upon end on accident though.

(I had the original HL when it came out, could never make it past the first 'level.' Got lost and confused. Cried in a corner. Found a crowbar. Beat some things with it. Got lost and confused again. Put CS back in, and fragged a-many-of-Counter-Terrorists in my fury.)

im probably in the same boat with you, you adorable little puppy you!

*pats head gently*

*squee*

*cuddle*

but then again, maybe not. at least you played the game. i only have lore and timeline to go on.

and yes, sewing a backpack. i can't sew worth a damn, but the newest addition is a literal pro at it. she's going out of town in a few weeks and instead of buying camping backpacks, she bought material and she's sewing it together.

Flip signing in-

Just home from the pub - can't listen to the video; I hope it's fluff? Going in cold for once and not doing a ton of research on the story-line (never seemed to help).

OT - Leo you can get an amazing backpack at any of the "Marts" cheap. If the "newest addition" is talking true back-packing..... you can't come close to what's offered retail?

OT-my cheap backpack's top 'corners' have ripped. Since carrying my laptop in it, they've nearly met in the middle. I was wondering if I could, indeed, sew them back together, and I may have to try this now. But, I am wanting one of those cushion-y strapped backpacks.
(Actually read your post Scotch...) That's pretty cool! Personalized packs!

You guys should really play HL2. It's one of the best games I've ever played. The timeline that zarni linked doesn't do it justice. But we can learn a lot about possible roles from the different characters. I'm looking forward to how things will play out.

OT: she's making hiking backpacks. the kinds you would see in the store that are like $200+. she's going to be gone for about three weeks but instead of toting luggage around, i think she's going to be toting the backpack.

On Topic: i think i should play this universe period. >.>

so no nightkills, eh? one thing Mara did tell me about prior to this game was crab people? no, crab... creatures? something that are like the brain slugs on Futurama. if so, would that be like a cult thing here or is this your typical mafia bang-bang kill-kill game?

@leo no clue on that front. Not sure about hte crab people? huh? Wikilink?

my guess is that there will be a few curveballs like our typical mafia games

@leo no clue on that front. Not sure about hte crab people? huh? Wikilink?

my guess is that there will be a few curveballs like our typical mafia games

Headcrabs are part of the HL lore. They are nasty looking little buggers that are akin to the face huggers of Aliens, expect they latch on to the top of the head of thier victims and turn them into zombies.

As promised, I am here :)

No NK on night one is a bit suspicious, could be some delayed kills, or possibly just some dumb luck. Either way it doesn't give us much to go on :unimpressed:

This game is starting to feel a bit like deja vu all over again. Not sure if that's a good thing.

the whole term "game engine" was throwing me off. >.>

The term 'rendering engine' is so much better. Think of it like cards. Solitaire is substantially different than blackjack but use the same rendering engine: 52 card deck, 4 suits, 13 of each suit.

And hand sewn backpacks? Please tell me it isn't made of canvas. I'm having trouble thinking of any other material that can be hand sewn yet rugged/durable enough to last two weeks backpacking.

I guess I'm going to have to play these games to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing here...

Ever played mafia before?

Flip signing in-

Just home from the pub - can't listen to the video; I hope it's fluff? Going in cold for once and not doing a ton of research on the story-line (never seemed to help).

So you want to tell everyone you are here (and presumably contributing) yet you don't have anything to contribute. Nothing happened, or rather, hasn't happened worth commenting on?

You guys should really play HL2. It's one of the best games I've ever played. The timeline that zarni linked doesn't do it justice. But we can learn a lot about possible roles from the different characters. I'm looking forward to how things will play out.

As a HL expert, or at least a fan, what traditional mafia elements do you think are included or not included? Any particular roles (mafia terms, not HL terms) you expect to see or not see? Multiple mafia? SK? Cults?

so no nightkills, eh? one thing Mara did tell me about prior to this game was crab people? no, crab... creatures? something that are like the brain slugs on Futurama. if so, would that be like a cult thing here or is this your typical mafia bang-bang kill-kill game?

Does that mean there is no mafia (just a cult) or is it a mafia/cult hybrid?

As promised, I am here :)

No NK on night one is a bit suspicious, could be some delayed kills, or possibly just some dumb luck. Either way it doesn't give us much to go on :unimpressed:

Suspicious is usually used along with or in place of scummy - aka, mafia. I'm a bit curious why you used multiple negative terms - suspicious, dumb luck - to describe what sounds like the pro-town actions of a doc, roleblocker, etc.

As a HL expert, or at least a fan, what traditional mafia elements do you think are included or not included? Any particular roles (mafia terms, not HL terms) you expect to see or not see? Multiple mafia? SK? Cults?

Hard to say. There are three/four distinct factions in the HL Universe. Humans, Combine, Vortigaunt, and Xen wildlife (Ant-lions, headcrabs, etc.) The Vortigaunt could be part of the human rebel faction, or there own faction, depending on what Zarni intends or even has thought up. I think Combine will be obviously the primary anti-town faction, with Xen wildlife possibly providing for a serial killer flavor.

Then there is the Gman. Mr. Mysterious, and definitely something big and powerful enough to be a game changer. I'm still mulling over in my head if it's possible to have a player play that role, or if Zarni will incorporate it as part of his modding ability through stories.

Suspicious is usually used along with or in place of scummy - aka, mafia. I'm a bit curious why you used multiple negative terms - suspicious, dumb luck - to describe what sounds like the pro-town actions of a doc, roleblocker, etc.

I wasn't saying I find myself suspicious :rolleyes:

the odds of 1 doc beating out 1 mafia targeting is 1/342, I call that dumb luck.

I likely used multiple negative terms, because that's how I feel about going into day 2 with virtually no information...negative. The bright side of course is that no one died, but its as good as a 48 hour time delay if someone doesn't make a fool out of themselves this day phase.

Hard to say. There are three/four distinct factions in the HL Universe. Humans, Combine, Vortigaunt, and Xen wildlife (Ant-lions, headcrabs, etc.) The Vortigaunt could be part of the human rebel faction, or there own faction, depending on what Zarni intends or even has thought up. I think Combine will be obviously the primary anti-town faction, with Xen wildlife possibly providing for a serial killer flavor.

Then there is the Gman. Mr. Mysterious, and definitely something big and powerful enough to be a game changer. I'm still mulling over in my head if it's possible to have a player play that role, or if Zarni will incorporate it as part of his modding ability through stories.

Since you seem to know the games rather well, can you think of anyone or anything that could induce a delayed kill? I have played through both of the games, but I'm not that much into the lore. I know the main cast and what their abilites in the games are, but not much of their backgrounds.

As far as I can think, the Combine doesn't really fit the role of a delayed kill. Is there something from Xen that would do it? I don't recall ever being poisoned by any Xen mobs in the games.

the odds of 1 doc beating out 1 mafia targeting is 1/342, I call that dumb luck.

Just curious; how do you figure such long odds? Without the inclusion of roleblockers are similar powers, the odds should be closer to 1/19.

Ankeli said:
As far as I can think, the Combine doesn't really fit the role of a delayed kill. Is there something from Xen that would do it? I don't recall ever being poisoned by any Xen mobs in the games.

The Combine does a lot of kidnapping of people as well as summary executions. Much of Half Life 2 is devoted to a prison called Nova Prospekt, where people are being held and processed via bio-mechanical alteration into becoming (usually unwilling) additions to the Combine army.

Headcrabs take only a few minutes to turn someone into a zombie, so I don't think that's really an option, but there is a type of headcrab that poisons their victim, named the Venom Crab. Instead of taking over a living host, they're believed to poison someone, run away until that person dies, then take over the corpse to host more poison crabs.

Then of course you can get into mixed results, such as a Combine Zombie. That's like a Zombine. Right? Zombine? Get it?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High