Where did you find your Tyraels?

ArtOfSenf

Jul 10, 2018
I am one year into my Grail and while I still enjoy the grind, I know that in the end Tyraels will be the deciding factor: if it drops soon, I can switch to pindle and farm for the last couple of items - if it doesn't, I may drain out over time.

I know RNG often rewards you with items you stopped looking for but how can one not look for Tyraels? I am at Grail-8 now and after having checked dropcalc over and over (1 in 330+k bosses with my ~540mf), I started wondering where you guys found your Tyraels and what the story about your drop is. Occasionally read about some of them in the IFT but I'm curious about your stories.

I'd love to hear how you managed to find that elusive armor. For I seek tales of light on my journey into the dark...

Last edited:
I found mine while running for 99 (literally running). It was from a champ skelli pack on WSK 2 (iirc) and I normally blasted anything out of my path on my way to the throne. Its not the most efficient manner of getting there but I had lots of good finds doing it.

This is why I like the run for 99, its just math. Ok, there's skill and builds and what not, but exp is just math, no RNG to fight. Once you're focused on the exp gain, everything else is gravy. I would like to say I finished my run, but based on timestamps, curiosity got the better of my and I exited and checked it out immediately.

View attachment 13296

This was way back in the day in b.net. 1.10 had come out maybe six months earlier (quite soon after 1.10 release anyway) and I was running The Pits in a solo game with my summoner nec full clad in mf gear. It had been a long night and again I slaughtered another pack of those pesky fallen type enemies you find down there - a champion pack, mind you. After the echoes of my corpse exlosions had faded, I pressed alt key and there it was... A golden sacred armor was lying amongst the fallen corpses. I snagged it faster than light and took it to act four to be identified standing near Tyrael, because you never know! Those were some superstitious times I tell you.

Well, it actually turned out to be Tyrael's Might, mid roll. We had a ~40 person Diablo2 channel in quakenet, Irc and I remember everyone wanting to see it in-game :) Ended up trading it away for BotD bow, Enigma, CoH, couple of SoJs and what not.

Haven't seen one after that.

Tunnels. A pretty good one BTW.

This thread comforts me while I'm offended by people who are bragging about having found yet another Griffon's, the only unique I've never found so far.

Hehe :) I'm sorry to offend you, but I am not even ecstatic about Griffons anymore, having found 4 in approx. half a year.

@pharphis I tried to fight my feelings by making this thread to rather encourage myself instead of allowing me to be discouraged. Think it worked so far, seeing these stories and screens. We can do it as well, you and me!

One I think, maybe two. A third certainly from Pindle.

I think I've found perhaps 3-5 Templar's since 1.10 is out.

BTW, much more frustrating than finding Templar's is finding a failed unique sacred armor in an area where Templar's can drop.

Does anybody check rare sacred armors for being failed uniques? I didn't before I found Tyrael's, but since then I do.

Small riddle: What's harder to find, a proven failed Templar's or a proven failed Tyrael's? And why?

Now im curious.

How many Templars did you all find before finally getting Tyraels??
Barring for-sure templars like pindle's.

I'm currently at 7 (6 eligible) templar's and 20+ IK soul cages.

Which means, I haven't found mine yet, but I fully expect to find it in AT.

Does anybody check rare sacred armors for being failed uniques? I didn't before I found Tyrael's, but since then I do.

Small riddle: What's harder to find, a proven failed Templar's or a proven failed Tyrael's? And why?

I believe a failed Templar's would be more difficult to absolutely prove. Unless I'm mistaken (not actually too unusual these days), you would have had to already drop a Tyrael's in that game before you could absolutely prove a failed Templars.

Edit: Uh, make that one Templar's would have had to already drop. I still think that's less likely that a failed Tyrael's off pindle or similar.

Personsally, I think my Tyrael's was my first unique SA, but odds did play out, I had around 8 Templar's before I stopped playing. Stormlash was my -1. I was in the mid 20's with Horizon's before I finally got a lash.

Last edited:
Yes, a proven Templar's is harder to find, although that might be a matter of which areas you are visiting and which you aren't.

There are three causes for failed uniques: No unique of that kind exists (not the case here), it has dropped before in the game or the unique's qlvl is higher than the ilvl. You need Templar's to drop first and then look for failed uniques in an area in which Tyrael's can drop, so you can make sure that it's not a failed Tyrael's. Finding a failed Tyrael's is much simpler: Go to where Templar's can drop, but Tyrael's cannot, e.g. Pindle.

Of course, the general chance for a failed unique sacred armor to be a failed Templar's is higher, but the key is in the word "proven". In many cases, you cannot distinguish them from failed Tyrael's, like when finding one in the cow level. I'm pretty sure it's harder to find two Templar's and then generating yet another unique sacred armor that's going to fail than to find a failed Tyrael's at Pindle or so.

I'm curious. If Templar's can drop somewhere where Tyrael's can't (Pindle), is it even possible to have failed unique Sacred Armor there, won't it automatically turn into Templar's?

@Gripphon The game first decides the quality of an item drop and if the result is 'unique' it creates a list of all Uniques of that item type with uniquelvl at most the mlvl of the monster that dropped it. After that is done it rolls which one it will drop from that list (based on rarities). In Pindle's case the uniquelvl of Tyrael's is too high and hence the game never adds it to that list. So the only thing on that list is Templar's.

So you can't get that 'type' (i.e. not high enough mlvl) of failed SA from Pindle. However if you had already found a Templar's somewhere else, then if Pindle rolls a unique SA it will create the list as above and try to pick Templar's and that will fail because it already dropped in that game.

It think that is the only possible way of getting a failed SA from Pindle.

I'm at 2 or 3 Templar's, zero Tyrael's. If I ever find Tyrael's, I'll get serious about grailing.

I'm at 1 IK Soul Cage and 0 Templar's/tyrael's.

I was burning away at my grail pretty good w/ pits & CS farming, but the RFL stuff has slowed it down quite a bit.

One Tyrael's and three Templar's (Pindle, Baal and AT). Tyrael's was the first of those.

Zero IK that I remember... Go figure

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High