What's the best item you ever found, ruined by being ethereal? der

A surprisingly large focus on the uniques so far. Over 20 of the best ethereal items I have seen are rares. 20% IAS and triple resist gloves, near-GODLY pairs of boots (2-3 of them) belts, elite javelins and other weapons, circlets, etc.

The only ethereal unique (that I would have preferred to be non-eth.) I can remember is the Gull my Low-Level Random Tourney Paladin is using. He´s eqipped it anyway but it has made him mostly into a walking aura provider for his mercenary.

@Dodgydave:

I know that Arachnid Mesh is a unqiue and I assume that Boneflame is as well, but are you talking about uniques from all the other item types you also mention?

My most interesting eth find was a Homunculus. The most useful eth item I have found is my merc's Andariel's Visage.

I get the most use, however, out of an eth Harlequin Crest that one of our beloved SPFers gave me a loooooooong time ago.

Dave :teeth:

My most annoying ethereal was my first and only HoZ. I put it on my Hammerdin anyway and guess what, I was bored with the Hammerdin way before the durability ran out.

My "best" ethereal is a spirit keeper.

Defense: 413-443 (Base Defense: 107-152)
Required Level: 67
Required Strength: 104
Durability: 20
(Druid Only)
+170-190% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+1-2 To Druid Skill Levels (varies)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+10% To Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist +30-40% (varies)
+9-14 Lightning Absorb (varies)
Cold Absorb 15-25% (varies)
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Completely useless to anyone but a druid and even then, how long can 20 durability last?

Qn: Does elemental attacks decrease durability? I might start a windy just for this helm.

S. IIRC the recommended socketing for mercs is amn amn shael ?
I thought the second shael was 'wasted' on a merc.

A 2nd shael is not wasted on a Merc's HoneSundan. My Might Merc does great with Shael-Shael-Amn.

Edit: My best ruined ethereal item would probably be demonlimb. Yes it has the repair mod, but I would rather have the L23 enchant charges for a character.

I found an arachnid mesh yesterday, unfortunately ethereal. But wth it's a caster belt, and caster's aren't supposed to get hit

PyroStock said:
A 2nd shael is not wasted on a Merc's HoneSundan. My Might Merc does great with Shael-Shael-Amn.

Edit: My best ruined ethereal item would probably be demonlimb. Yes it has the repair mod, but I would rather have the L23 enchant charges for a character.

Hmmm,

I did check it out and it is supposed to increase his attack speed slightly, from 7 to 6,5 FpA. This according to the german attack speed calc. I bet your merc does great with it indeed, but is it worth it? When compared to doubling his life leach keeping him alive so much longer.
I guess it comes down to personal preference, but any opinion is appreciated!

Gouda

Starts wondering about 65% IAS for a 6 FpA merc attack.......

Gouda said:
I did check it out and it is supposed to increase his attack speed slightly, from 7 to 6,5 FpA. This according to the german attack speed calc. I bet your merc does great with it indeed, but is it worth it? When compared to doubling his life leach keeping him alive so much longer.
I guess it comes down to personal preference, but any opinion is appreciated!
tarts wondering about 65% IAS for a 6 FpA merc attack.......

It depends also on the character. Besides the fact that sometimes landing the 1st hit sometimes helps survival, my Might Merc has no problems surviving. But if he didn't have his Might aura ~doubling his damage (which doubles the leech), 3 meat shield wolves, and OakSage raising his life from ~2000 to over 5000... then maybe he would need the higher life leech. Likewise, my Necromancer doesn't need his Merc to have huge life leech since the Necromancer has skeleton meat shields, amp damage, life tap and other crowd control tactics for the Merc. Now compare that to a Sorceress who has little to offer (maybe Enchant? maybe Chill/Freeze on some non-CI?) & it makes a big difference.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High