Softcore Tournament - gauging interest from newer members and old alike!

Vang

Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
Hello Everyone!

For those who are newer, I'm Vang. I like to host tournaments and most of those are HC only. As I got older and came back I introduced (not really, but gave it some traction enough to be in a few other tournaments) non-single pass.

I also DIE A LOT. I'd link to them, but it would be so many this forum would literally buckle under the search results of my failures. :ROFLMAO:

With that said, I was going to host a SC tournament (HC will still be an option!) with equipment limited by a specific set of mods (What do I have up my sleeve :unsure:💭)

Reply here if your interested!

I'd most likely be interested, as it has been a long time since I have participated in a tourney.

I'm liking the Random Tournaments, so I bet you will find something interesting here.

Maybe an unlocking system? Like a gear slot has to be worn white before blue before rare before craft before set before unique before runeword, with the option to stop at a given quality? Or something random around that...

As Babyhell, I find the restrictions in tournaments you have prevously hosted quite enjoyable and they are the reason I left my single player cave to join the forum.
SC or HC it doesn’t matter to me 😁

Reactions: Triple Helix
I'm always in for a tournament. I have an idea for one that I plan to pitch eventually, though the time commitment will be a lot less (what will Daz propose??), so I shouldn't have trouble doing both

As Babyhell, I find the restrictions in tournaments you have prevously hosted quite enjoyable and they are the reason I left my single player cave to join the forum.
SC or HC it doesn’t matter to me 😁
This one will be a lot less restricted than the random one, but the equipment is going to be rough and if you want to come in 1st..well your going to have to work for it!

Reactions: D4di56lu3
I could go for this. I would have joined the random tournament but I was a bit confused by rules.

Ok let me know thoughts or corrections! (Not active, will make new posting after people have time to look over)

Story
You remember Tristram and the screams of the villagers from afar while they were being dragged into that church and into the depths.

Then rumors swore of the Rogue Camp and a rogue that lead the charge in Tristram now was corrupted they said by evil guarding the Cemetery. You fought them off and destroyed the Evil Blood Raven. Then you went and was told by the only one you trust, Akara, that Deckard Cain was able to be rescued. Upon returning to Tristram you saw him. GRISWOLD. Why was he not eaten like all the others? He wanted to serve the dark lords!

You entered the Barracks and Charsi lost her hammer, likely story! She wanted to arm the minions!

When you entered Lut Gholein you could hear screams below the Palace and when you tried to enter, they told you that you could not pass! What is Jerhyn conniving below?

In Kurast, why was it over ran and why did all the denizens turn evil? Hratli and his trickery I bet.

The Pandemonium Fortress, why has it not been attacked! Halbu has been supplying the Demons with weapons for ages and you can hear it in the whispers as you search the souls of the dead who once tried to stop the demons, and Tyrael’s friend Izual! Why that Angelic Demon traitor.

Finally, Harrogath. Nihlathak was said to be the traitor, but I bet the town voted for it. Anya just was the unlucky one who was to be sacrificed, wonder why she never went next to her alleged friend and potion maker? Malah!

This brings us to the tournament, The Apprehensive Adventurers!

This is an entry level tournament that is mainly a SC based tournament, though separate standings for HC will exist.

Rules specific:

1. You may not repair your goods (Even via cube recipes).
2. You may not shop for any items after you complete Charsi’s quest in normal. (You must complete it at time of return, and may not continue until you do so)
3. Potions and scrolls are able to be shopped for the entire game.
4. Gambling is allowed though only items that meet the requirements maybe equipped, rings/amulets are exempt due to no durability.
5. Bows/Xbows may not be used by player (Rogue Mercenary may equip a bow)

Item specific rules:

1. Any ethereal item maybe used.
2. Any non-ethereal item with the repair mod, indestructible, replenish, higher than normal durability maybe used.
3. Any item other than rings or amulet that do not meet requirements of 1 and/or 2 may not be used unless it is a white or non-socketed item.
4. Quest rewards (Charsi/Anya) maybe used if they meet requirements.
5. You do not trust mercenaries. They may not equip an item with a higher rarity level than you in each slot (White/Blue/Yellow/Green or Orange/Unique or Runeword)

Scoring is done at the end of each act according with what was equipped defeating the Act boss:

Rings, Amulets, and Charms provide no point value and have no restrictions.

Each item slot can provide one of these point values:
  • 1 point an item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability item.
  • 1 point for an ethereal item
  • 2 points for an ethereal item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability.
Negative points are applied as follows
  • -1 point for using attacks that don’t use durability as main way of killing (Spells, Traps, Blade Fury)
  • -1 for summoners (defined as having an army of skeletons/revives)

FAQ:

What about Paladin auras: If you are attacking, no negative value.
What about hiding behind a mercenary/golem/bear/wolves/valk: No issue unless your not attacking, though you can sit back for a fight or two!
Crowd Control skills: Stuns, curses, etc: All good if your still attacking away.

General Rules:

1. D2R is recommended for this tournament, though 1.13/1.14 is allowed for non-D2R owners (May play on PC or console versions)
2. Softcore or Hardcore
3. Any player setting is allowed and may adjust as you see fit (big chest!!!!)
4. Rerunning is allowed, you may also play as single-pass (Please use SP in front of name if we get a character bracket going)
5. You are allowed to go back to a previous difficulty for any reason.
6. Any merc allowed. Mind their restrictions on equipment though to not exceeding your equipment rarity (Shield is same as weapon if you have no shield in the case of an Act3 mercenary)
7. Replays as a different class are allowed.
8*. Atma/GoMule is allowed as an extended stash only ----D2R all you stash maybe used, including extra tabs.
9*. FAM is allowed
*Not sure if they can be used in D2R

Last edited:
This sounds fun!

Thoughts:
- Can we rerun areas?
- Can we return to previous acts or difficulty settings?
- GoMule/other D2R shared stash tabs as an Extended stash?
- Can we save quest rewards for later? Same question with Akara's respec.
- The 'may be used' text is intended to be exclusive, right? So we may only use ethereal, self-repair, replenish or +durability items?
- Does the 'summoner' penalty only apply to Necro's revives and skellie warriors (it sounds like it does)
- When, precisely, does the scoring trigger? Let's say I have a +durability ethereal helm (2 points!) that is nearly worn out. I kill Duriel in a lower-scoring equipment set, and then get changed into the high-scoring helm for Act 2's final sequence of running around Lut Gholein? (I'm assuming the answer here is 'when the boss goes down' with maybe an extra shot of 'be sensible')
- How strict is the '-1 for non-durability attacks' penalty intended to be? Is it just intended to apply to the character's primary attack, or is triggered if you use literally any non-durability-using damage source? Or somewhere between? Tesladins? Druid summons? Javelins/throwing weapons (not literally durability)? Valkyrie? Potion throwing? Attract/Confuse?
- I can imagine that my merc will be asked to do a lot of work here.
- You might have to ban the Ort/Ral item repair cube recipes.

Last edited:
This sounds fun!

Thoughts:
- Can we rerun areas?
- GoMule/other D2R shared stash tabs as an Extended stash?
- The 'may be used' text is intended to be exclusive, right? So we may only use ethereal, self-repair, replenish or +durability items?
- Does the 'summoner' penalty only apply to Necro's revives and skellie warriors (it sounds like it does)
- When, precisely, does the scoring trigger? Let's say I have a +durability ethereal helm (2 points!) that is nearly worn out. I kill Duriel in a lower-scoring equipment set, and then get changed into the high-scoring helm for Act 2's final sequence of running around Lut Gholein? (I'm assuming the answer here is 'when the boss goes down' with maybe an extra shot of 'be sensible')
- How strict is the '-1 for non-durability attacks' penalty intended to be? Is it just intended to apply to the character's primary attack, or is triggered if you use literally any non-durability-using damage source? Or somewhere between? Tesladins? Druid summons? Valkyrie? Potion throwing? Attract/Confuse?
- I can imagine that my merc will be asked to do a lot of work here.
- Yes you can.
- Yes extended stash is going to be good
- added a #3 stating it may not be used if it doesn't meet the requirements a white item or socketed (empty) maybe used.
- Yes, the summoner penalty is specifically aimed at Summonmancer because your less likely to get hit ever, even more so than a normal caster.
-After trying to reword it, honestly with the equipment restrictions, you maybe without a piece of gear, your score is whatever you defeat an act boss with.
-If your running around and not hitting and just killing, Id say your a non-attack character, but if your still going toe to toe and things are dying around your, your good to go. As long as you are still attacking it counts. If you back off for Valk/Golem/mercenary to kill a hostile foe, no need to negate.
-Might, but there weapon choices are still going to be limited to your slot.

Remember runewords/gem/socketed items can be made from +enhanced durability items (superior items!)

I think I added a couple while you were writing (saving quest rewards, item repair cube recipes)

I think I added a couple while you were writing (saving quest rewards, item repair cube recipes)
Thank you! forgot to add in you can't repair via cube even though it was softly stated, added it in specifically. Kind of goes against the spirit of the tournament. You can save quest rewards except Normal Charsi as you have to complete that to progress and cut ties with vendors who are planning your demise.

Figured if you could cube repair that would go against the spirit of the tournament unless it was specifically a Single Pass one.

Reactions: Nazdakka
5. You do not trust mercenaries. They may not equip an item with a higher rarity level than you in each slot (White/Blue/Yellow/Green or Orange/Unique)

Where does 'runeword' sit on this scale? (Real question "Insight is so very, very cheap...") ;)

More nitpicks: Do you mean 1pt for an item with some combination of self repair/+dura/whatever and 1pt for eth, meaning 2pts total for eth/self repair, or are the points additive (meaning 4pts for eth/self repair)?

Last edited:
Where does 'runeword' sit on this scale? (Real question "Insight is so very, very cheap...") ;)

More nitpicks: Do you mean 1pt for an item with some combination of self repair/+dura/whatever and 1pt for eth, meaning 2pts total for eth/self repair, or are the points additive (meaning 4pts for eth/self repair)?
Not additive, so item slots are either 0 (white or unsocketed), 1 (Eth or a self-repair/dur/etc) or 2 (Eth + self-repair/dur/etc)

Runewords will sit in the unique slot.

Updated tournament post with clarifications.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High