D2R General Chat

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! Smiter it is, then.
Ahh, you are missing plenty basic gear. Why don't you try and trade for some stuff? ;)
For a Smiter, I would say Exile is all you need. If you can also afford Grief then you can fill the rest gear with pretty much anything you have.
I do have pretty much all of that other gear, but it's in 1.14d, and I'm going to leave the bulk of those items there. I'm still apprehensive about the upcoming changes (and the fact that D2R dies when the servers go offline).

If I really wanted Exile, I could make it as I have the runes in 1.14d, but then I'd feel compelled to rack or trade for a good base. I don't already have one waiting, and I'd feel compelled to use an ebugged shield, which would take even more time. On bnet, I used drac's and a LT wand, as you suggest, and that's what I mean to do in D2R. Same with Grief, I could get one, but I'd prefer to leave items in 1.14d. Well, I do have an Astreon's Iron Ward in 1.14d that I've never used at all. Hmmm.

For the shield, I see a couple of other options:
1. Do a bit of racking in 1.14d, and if I get super lucky, make Exile. I could set a time limit so that I don't get too frustrated, and if my luck doesn't pan out, I can make Sanctuary instead.
2. Just try the first organ runs without Exile. I can always make Exile later if running without it is too tedious. Hmmm.

Edit: as for trading. I dunno. I'm mainly doing D2R self-found, hence not moving many items forward. I've moved 3 items so far: 1.07 eth GPA, 3os PB, 3os PB.

Last edited:
For the Uber Tristram I would suggest one point in Salvation when fighting Mephisto. Once he is gone, it's a matter of time for the other two.
Also, I have Salvation maxed as it's a Holy Shock synergy.

I just remembered that, and it basically means that resists are no problem at all for fighting mephisto.

Sorry about making multiple posts in short succession, but have another question.

I'm thinking about moving a CtA from 1.14d into D2R. I've only moved a couple of items so far, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of moving things for which I have duplicates (e.g. Guardian Angel, Gore Rider, gFace, ...).

I don't think there's any use for having 2 CtA since only a barb could wield both and he'd be capped at +3 to BO. I have two CtAs, one is 5/6/2 and the other is 2/3/2. I'm thinking about moving the 2/3/2 into D2R.

Is having CtA of much help with ubers? Might that shore up any deficits from not having Exile/Grief? If not, then I'll probably hold out and roll a new one in D2R eventually, but if it's a big help, then maybe I will.

If you only plan to get a few Torches like 2-3 then you could perhaps try with the gear you have and see how it goes. If you intend to make some serious Torch farming then I would suggest to forward some items and gear your Smiter properly.

Any CTA will do the trick really. Having a perfect CTA won't make much of a difference.
Eventually, I would say that having the lowest rolls on the appropriate gear would be much more effective than anything else you can come up with!

As long as you can keep that Life Tap consant everything else will work.
Perhaps a budget build would be something like this:

Weapon: Black
Shield: Spirit or Sanctuary on a Pally Shield with Res
Armor: Duress
Helm: Guillaume's Face
Gloves: Dracul's
Belt: Verdungo's
Boots: Goblin Toe ( Better than GoreRiders)
Rings: Ravefrost + Rare with stats/life
Amulet: anything you have
Switch: Call to Arms + Spirit

Reactions: snickersnack
With just a few items forwarded, I can make the budget build you laid out. Goreriders would also be good for my riftsin (pits, baal?) and general PvM, but you're right that GT has more CB.

I don't intend to undertake the mass farming you've been doing, but running dkeys is kind of fun, so who knows. I'll finish running for keys (I think 5 sets to start) and consider my options then. Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective!

Reactions: Excalibur
After finding a Steel Pillar recently and seeing the working changes in patch 2.4, I decided to make a spearzon.

I started a new amazon and levelled a bit to start twinking, and then it occurred to me that I should actually make the new character in 1.14d since I have a 1.09 Ravenclaw, making the early levels much faster. I've just killed Andariel (on /p8 she died before she got close enough to spit poison :cool:), and it occurred to me that I'm not sure if I need to bug Andariel.

In D2R, Andariel is bugged automatically, but that may not be the case with characters who have been moved forward. Suppose that I don't bug Andariel. When I later move the zon forward to D2R, will I still get the quest drop every time?

I don't expect anyone to know the answer to that, but I have to wonder if it matters. It's possible that bugging now causes some problem. It's possible that bugging now will somehow make the drops in D2R better.

Thoughts?

In D2R, Andariel is bugged automatically, but that may not be the case with characters who have been moved forward. Suppose that I don't bug Andariel. When I later move the zon forward to D2R, will I still get the quest drop every time?

I don't expect anyone to know the answer to that, but I have to wonder if it matters. It's possible that bugging now causes some problem. It's possible that bugging now will somehow make the drops in D2R better.

Thoughts?
That would need some testing for an accurate answer but in any case there's no reason not to Bug her in 1.14d since it requires no effort at all and is less than 5 seconds to do it. It will definitely not cause any problems in D2R no matter what you do.
What's only left to find out is whether non Bugged Andariel in 1.14d will keep being non Bugged in D2R or whether D2R will fix it automatically.

I'm running for dkeys, and I've found that my riftsin dies very easily to the thorns on Razor Spines in the Halls of Pain, even on /p1. What gives? Has it always been like that? It's almost as quick is IM, on /p1 at least.

When I started running for dkeys a few weeks ago, I don't recall that happening at all, and I was running on /p3 for the most part. Of course, I'll just run past them for now, but if there's a way around that damage spike, it'd be great to know.

Also, maybe I should consider running for dkeys in LoD. Are hammerdins good for dkeys? Would a pitzerker be good (a fresh one is just a respec away)? I have enigma in LoD and infinity in D2R, but I don't have both in any one place, otherwise a pure trapsin would be the way to go. I don't want to take the time to level a new assassin in D2R, but I could forward one of my many sins in LoD D2R to respec into a pure trapsin. Any ideas on that?

You guys ever chat anywhere else about d2? Man I love chatting on reddit, those fools don't know as much about the game there so I feel like a god when I drop some kinda basic knowledge about stuff. You can chat about all kinds of stuff there. Man when I post here I'm all like oh man don't say something dumb, triple check everything make sure it makes sense - over there I'm like WHATEVER. I'll talk about everything uninhibited, if I say something dumb it's gone in like 6 hours and no one cares, if it's wrong I'll just delete it or learn something. Kinda fun though answering questions all day when I'm at work or just going banana's about death's set or whatever.

Do you guys know how insane Death's set is?! Cannot be frozen, 30 ias, big damage swords, 40 all resists, 90 poison resist, 40% Attack rating, life leech, and you can equip it at level 6!!!! Death's set is the sleeper best set in all of d2. Only 3 slots! It's bananas. You can wear 2 piece sigons, get more AR, get MF, you can put on angelics, you can wear stealth, get crushing blow in the offhand, you can wear a shield, you can wear whatever the goddamn hell you want because it's 3 slots! You guys ever go so far as to collect assloads of dexterity grand charms just so you can equip deaths set at level 6? Who hasn't!! You'd have to be crazy not to!! I'll put death's set on a sorcy leveling IDC. It's crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zodiac and Ghonn
You guys ever chat anywhere else about d2?
Hell no!

I've been part of this community for something like 18 years at this stage and I spend at least half an hour - every single day - reading diablo-related posts here. You wouldn't want to talk about the game either if you had to do that! :D

Gaming is my primary hobby though so I do enjoy talking shop... as long as the topic has nothing to do with Diablo (or Blizzard in general).

• Wow
Reactions: NorthDakota
Gaming is my primary hobby though so I do enjoy talking shop... as long as the topic has nothing to do with Diablo (or Blizzard in general).
What do you think about the Cyberpunk situation? I preordered and then thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I haven't played since they released the first big patch. If you have much to say about that, maybe a thread in the OT forum would be warranted. :)

You guys ever chat anywhere else about d2? Man I love chatting on reddit, those fools don't know as much about the game there so I feel like a god when I drop some kinda basic knowledge about stuff. You can chat about all kinds of stuff there. Man when I post here I'm all like oh man don't say something dumb, triple check everything make sure it makes sense - over there I'm like WHATEVER. I'll talk about everything uninhibited, if I say something dumb it's gone in like 6 hours and no one cares, if it's wrong I'll just delete it or learn something. Kinda fun though answering questions all day when I'm at work or just going banana's about death's set or whatever.

Do you guys know how insane Death's set is?! Cannot be frozen, 30 ias, big damage swords, 40 all resists, 90 poison resist, 40% Attack rating, life leech, and you can equip it at level 6!!!! Death's set is the sleeper best set in all of d2. Only 3 slots! It's bananas. You can wear 2 piece sigons, get more AR, get MF, you can put on angelics, you can wear stealth, get crushing blow in the offhand, you can wear a shield, you can wear whatever the goddamn hell you want because it's 3 slots! You guys ever go so far as to collect assloads of dexterity grand charms just so you can equip deaths set at level 6? Who hasn't!! You'd have to be crazy not to!! I'll put death's set on a sorcy leveling IDC. It's crazy.
I do check reddit a bit, but the app is kind of buggy, so sometimes I just give up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NorthDakota
Hell no!

I've been part of this community for something like 18 years at this stage and I spend at least half an hour - every single day - reading diablo-related posts here. You wouldn't want to talk about the game either if you had to do that! :D

Holy christ dude. I definitely take breaks. I spose that comes with the territory of being mod though. Don't know how you folks do it, I'm too flakey for that. If I feel sick of it I just stop for a while, can't really stop if people are depending on you. When I'm on I'm on, but when I'm off, I'm really off. I joined 2012 if I look back at my original profile so it's nowhere near 18 years but a still respectable 10ish. I still look at posts from the old forum frequently for info and I do wish I joined, way back when. I originally joined following a link from @jjscud 's post about Miranda hitting level 99 (I imagine he's sick of me referencing his post and pinging him every other week about this) that I just stumbled across (can't remember how). Otherwise I like to think it would have been sooner. I was pretty caught up in high school and college when a lot of yall were posting all that juicy info tho when things were happening with the game in the 2002-2010 timeframe.

Do you think death's set is as juicy as I do?

@snickersnack bold move exposing your reddit username here, I'm not doing the same but I believe we've spoken XD

Last edited:
I'm running for dkeys, and I've found that my riftsin dies very easily to the thorns on Razor Spines in the Halls of Pain, even on /p1. What gives? Has it always been like that? It's almost as quick is IM, on /p1 at least.

When I started running for dkeys a few weeks ago, I don't recall that happening at all, and I was running on /p3 for the most part. Of course, I'll just run past them for now, but if there's a way around that damage spike, it'd be great to know.

Also, maybe I should consider running for dkeys in LoD. Are hammerdins good for dkeys? Would a pitzerker be good (a fresh one is just a respec away)? I have enigma in LoD and infinity in D2R, but I don't have both in any one place, otherwise a pure trapsin would be the way to go. I don't want to take the time to level a new assassin in D2R, but I could forward one of my many sins in LoD D2R to respec into a pure trapsin. Any ideas on that?
Not sure about trapsin but I run for dkeys with hammerdin in LoD. I suggest using cta for those runs incase snakes spawn.

Without enigma/teleport the runs will be much slower and will take more time since keys don't drop every time. I use bone-necro from time to time and use naj's staff on switch.

@NorthDakota on another forum, long time ago, someone decided to use Death set as part of end-game equipment because the reasons you mentioned. He used it on Frenzy barb with D-sword on 2nd slot and his conclusion was that it's nice but very limiting.

Maybe with 2.4 and an option to upgrade sets we will see more use from this set.

Last edited:
@NorthDakota - In D2R, when I'm twinking, I'll use:

Gemmed Crystal Sword
Crystal Sword
One Hand Damage: 29 - 30
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 3
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0x9f4ae666
Item Level: 81
Version: Resurrected
+24 to Minimum Damage
6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Jewel of Joyfulness

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xd8f98d39
Item Level: 13
+4 to Minimum Damage

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2d55e3f5
Item Level: 80
+4 to Minimum Damage

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2a849a09
+4 to Minimum Damage

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xaf935729
+4 to Minimum Damage

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xcd3414c5
Item Level: 76
+4 to Minimum Damage

Jewel of Joyfulness
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x510b10ae
+4 to Minimum Damage

Sigon's Gloves, Belt, Boots
Angelic Rings, Armor, Amulet
Helm and Shield are sort of toss ups ... Tarnhelm, Swordback Hold, socketed diamond shields, see the most use ...

When I make another twinking weapon with my collection of better, (something with a required clvl of 3 or less)-Jewels-of-Joyfulness, I think I'll stick the five of them into a War Scepter (slightly faster, and much more durability). Otherwise, I'm always quite happy with my setup. No CBF, but I can't say that I've ever found myself wanting it either ...

Reactions: Ghonn and lizard
Even though I don't play much D2L anymore I collected all my keys there due to faster loading times. I farmed all my destruction keys with my Hammerdin at P7.

You don't need Infinity with him so you should be fine with Enigma only. Cta is mandaratary if you want to farm at higher player settings. Teleport right into Nihlathak and start casting Hammers. Equip your Merc with a Reaper's and he will slow Nihlathak down. Nature's peace can help to prevent him from Exploding the Corpses.

If Nihlathak spawns Cursed or with Conviction aura either be very very carefoul since a Corpse Explosion will deal more than 1000 damage or better Save and Exit.

Not sure about trapsin but I run for dkeys with hammerdin in LoD. I suggest using cta for those runs incase snakes spawn.

Without enigma/teleport the runs will be much slower and will take more time since keys don't drop every time. I use bone-necro from time to time and use naj's staff on switch.

@NorthDakota on another forum, long time ago, someone decided to use Death set as part of end-game equipment because the reasons you mentioned. He used it on Frenzy barb with D-sword on 2nd slot and his conclusion was that it's nice but very limiting.

Maybe with 2.4 and an option to upgrade sets we will see more use from this set.

Death's set was always a crazy overpower set for its level, the only reason I didn't use the full set more for twinking was because of the dex for the weapon. Anytime I level up an assassin though I always use full angelics, and anytime I do a barb I always use beserkers. I know neither of them is ideal but I just happened to get into this weird habit of how I start them.

Once death's set can get upgrade it will be crazy, especially the belt with all four rows. I think that's the only reason it doesn't see as much use later game.

Even though I don't play much D2L anymore I collected all my keys there due to faster loading times. I farmed all my destruction keys with my Hammerdin at P7.

You don't need Infinity with him so you should be fine with Enigma only. Cta is mandaratary if you want to farm at higher player settings. Teleport right into Nihlathak and start casting Hammers. Equip your Merc with a Reaper's and he will slow Nihlathak down. Nature's peace can help to prevent him from Exploding the Corpses.

If Nihlathak spawns Cursed or with Conviction aura either be very very carefoul since a Corpse Explosion will deal more than 1000 damage or better Save and Exit.
It turns out that I had never gotten my hdin past Eldritch, so with Anya saved, he got his first Nihlathak kill. It was on /p1, but since I didn't wear Nature's Peace, his CE sure packs a wallop. My skillers are not particularly good as most are plain, with only +8 life and +12 life on two of them. I was using CtA and some +life small charms, so life was about 3k. I'll of course use NP when running on /p7.

He's at about 93.8, so I'll need to get to level 94 before doing /p7 runs (I definitely don't want to lose experience). It's also been many months since I've played the character, so I'll need to get used to aiming again.

Thanks for the tips!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High