Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

@Swamigoon Sometimes the Lost city is hardly lost :)
farttohld_lost-city-jpg.65814

Ps had to read several of my pat threads to find this which was a nice trip down memory lane.

Is there a more or less generic way to increase AR-ratings?

My paladin built is finished at level 86. I have hit my marks with FHR, Immu, FBR but my AR feels a bit lowish at 3500. Did a Hell Baal run solo on p5 and had a 51% change to hit Baal with my zeal.

I’m not really experienced in this end game kind of stuff. Over time I want to take him too level 99 because he is a joy to play

Baal is a bit hard to hit with melee characters.
"Ignore Target Defense" will help you against regular mobs but it doesn't apply to Bosses. The "-25% target defense" should work but at half effectiveness. Blessed Aim will passively improve your AR by 5%. The Angelic Combo (Ring + Amulet) grants massive Attack Rating.
You can also fill your inventory with Charms with AR.

Baal is a bit hard to hit with melee characters.
"Ignore Target Defense" will help you against regular mobs but it doesn't apply to Bosses. The "-25% target defense" should work but at half effectiveness. Blessed Aim will passively improve your AR by 5%. The Angelic Combo (Ring + Amulet) grants massive Attack Rating.
You can also fill your inventory with Charms with AR.
I played normal and NM until act V with Angelic set with a 2nd ring for AR and MF and really loved it. But in the long run I couldn’t keep it up.

Swapping out a ring and a amulet would force me to change a lot in the build. The amulet has plus skills and is a backbone for cold resist, and I like my Nature’s/ravenfrost ring combo.

I am hesitant to take more chances at this point with resistance. Maybe if I have a CtA as switch it would be different. But with just 1200 life it feels as a gamble to me.

So maybe try how the angelic options works for me or maybe not focus on Baal runs just yet and just do other TC85 areas first.

I am using Grief as main weapon. I needed that to get past the ancients way. Before that I was using voice of reason. And I have some more CB in boots. I have treachery as armor and HoZ as shield.

Baal runs on p5 are doable at this point, I hope they will be better when my Act I merc gets a Faith bow (don’t use her now because she does to easy). It just takes time and some red potions. So maybe I’m just a bit impatient

In case you want some advice for your character, may I ask what build are you aiming for?
I am aiming for holy freeze/Zeal combo with a high ammount of CB. I think I have 65 CB now and am looking for Guillermo's to get me to 100. I got the idea from the Zealer guide on the d2r section of the site

I have maxed zeal, holy freeze and salvation and some points in holy shield. The last skillpoint (from leveling to 87) I didn't use yet because I'm not sure if I want more def, more damage (through sacrifice) or more fire immu.

In general I'm not unhappy with the build. It is fun playing him. There are no circumstances he can't handle. Although sometimes it takes time, like Baal.

You are not following the common Zealer build which is perfectly fine since it's obviously a more defensive oriented build but a Zealer can really become a powerhouse monster if you decide to follow the damage route. I don't really want to mess with your build since it seems you know in which path you are heading just keep that tip and use Smite on your next fight against Baal. ;)

You are not following the common Zealer build which is perfectly fine since it's obviously a more defensive oriented build but a Zealer can really become a powerhouse monster if you decide to follow the damage route. I don't really want to mess with your build since it seems you know in which path you are heading just keep that tip and use Smite on your next fight against Baal. ;)
I would really appreciate if you did mess with it a bit. I mean your advise could lead me to another path to explore. Doesn’t mean I have to follow it, but not knowing it only assures I don’t 🙂

You said you're using Black on switch vs CI... you could use Obedience instead, it has 40%CB and once it triggers Enchant, you'd have a 200%AR boost for over 10 minutes. The lack of IAS sucks, but you could use a fast base (or just charge with it until Enchant triggers, you said you had HS, so you have at least 1 pnt in charge)

But really, the best thing you can do for your CtH is to get more raw +AR... a few Steel GCs would probably help a lot, as would using the Raven Frost instead of Dwarf Star unless you REALLY need the fire sorb/MDR (getting a RF with a high AR roll would be good as well). A pdiamond or good +AR jewel in your helm would also help... and if you're not strapped for resists, you could replace the pdiamond in the HoZ with a good +AR jewel...

Alternately, a single point in Conviction (boosted by HoZ & Ammy) will do more for your CtH than fully maxxed BA (I know he's a frost Zealot, but just sayin...)

WoRG

Baal runs on p5
Baal does not give higher XP at p5 than at p3 and the tiny difference in drops can not be made up in speed by pretty much any character, so p5 is a waste. Switching back to p3 for Baal will improve your runs basically for free.

Reactions: Zyr
Baal does not give higher XP at p5 than at p3 and the tiny difference in drops can not be made up in speed by pretty much any character, so p5 is a waste. Switching back to p3 for Baal will improve your runs basically for free.
Sweet! Thanks… p3 was a lot faster.

You said you're using Black on switch vs CI... you could use Obedience instead, it has 40%CB and once it triggers Enchant, you'd have a 200%AR boost for over 10 minutes. The lack of IAS sucks, but you could use a fast base (or just charge with it until Enchant triggers, you said you had HS, so you have at least 1 pnt in charge)

But really, the best thing you can do for your CtH is to get more raw +AR... a few Steel GCs would probably help a lot, as would using the Raven Frost instead of Dwarf Star unless you REALLY need the fire sorb/MDR (getting a RF with a high AR roll would be good as well). A pdiamond or good +AR jewel in your helm would also help... and if you're not strapped for resists, you could replace the pdiamond in the HoZ with a good +AR jewel...

Alternately, a single point in Conviction (boosted by HoZ & Ammy) will do more for your CtH than fully maxxed BA (I know he's a frost Zealot, but just sayin...)

WoRG
I have black as switch, but since I made Grief it’s not doing a lot. Used it on the Ancients but that’s about it because grief eats those monsters for breakfast.

I will definitely check obedience out. And try and replace some GC’s with AR ones.

I would really appreciate if you did mess with it a bit. I mean your advise could lead me to another path to explore. Doesn’t mean I have to follow it, but not knowing it only assures I don’t 🙂
With maxed Holy Shield, some lifesteal and CtA you will barely die so focusing on a damage setup which Zealers really excel at would be more effective. You will deal insanely much more damage if you decide to use Fanaticism Aura yourself for various reasons.
  • You will be able to level up Fanaticism above level 20
  • Fanaticism grants more damage to the bearer than the party members
  • You won't have to waste a Jah and an Ohm for the Mercenary
  • Picking an Act2 Might Mercenary will improve your damage more
  • Equip your Act2 Mercenary with Reapers Toll and everything will die in seconds in Players 8
  • Reaper's Toll can also provide protection by slowing nearby monsters when triggered and it triggers all the time
  • Your Act2 Mercenary will deal tons of damage as well and is a great combination along with your Zealer
Your setup should be:
20 Zeal
20 Sacrifice
20 Holy Shield
20 Fanaticism

This is an old video but take a look how powerful just the Mercenary can become. Not to mention what your character you can do.
I am about to move my Zealot to D2R soon.

With maxed Holy Shield, some lifesteal and CtA you will barely die so focusing on a damage setup which Zealers really excel at would be more effective. You will deal insanely much more damage if you decide to use Fanaticism Aura yourself for various reasons.
  • You will be able to level up Fanaticism above level 20
  • Fanaticism grants more damage to the bearer than the party members
  • You won't have to waste a Jah and an Ohm for the Mercenary
  • Picking an Act2 Might Mercenary will improve your damage more
  • Equip your Act2 Mercenary with Reapers Toll and everything will die in seconds in Players 8
  • Reaper's Toll can also provide protection by slowing nearby monsters when triggered and it triggers all the time
  • Your Act2 Mercenary will deal tons of damage as well and is a great combination along with your Zealer
Your setup should be:
20 Zeal
20 Sacrifice
20 Holy Shield
20 Fanaticism

This is an old video but take a look how powerful just the Mercenary can become. Not to mention what your character you can do.
I am about to move my Zealot to D2R soon.

I need to get me a Reaper’s it would appear. I am most definitely trying this set up too.

First I want to see how my guy does once I find a Guillermo’s and then I’ll do a respec and try this set up

Reactions: MizzouFTW
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High