Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Also one question that never crossed my mind before and I found different answers online for some reason.

How does barbarian masteries work together for the throwing builds? Does throwing mastery stack, multiply, does not work at all etc. with the mastery of the throwed weapon (let's say axe mastery).

No stack unfortunately. Throwing axes are throwing weapons, not axes.

• Sad
Reactions: Ergro
No, they are axes that can be thrown! They can do both ranged damage when thrown and melee damage when in actual contact with monsters as shown

Gimmershred
Flying Axe
Throw Damage: 45 to 200
One-Hand Damage: 51 to 197

@Maxicek is correct that they don't stack. Throwing Mastery covers all weapons that can be thrown, which is more than just axes. The problem for the Barbarian is that his Axe mastery does not cover thrown axes and his throwing mastery does not include melee damage.

You could build a Frenzy Barb and equip him with dual Gimmershreds. In which case you would max Axe mastery and put zero points into Thrown weapons.

If you are building a throw barb you will obviously want to max Throw mastery. However, if you are carrying axes and are the type that can't keep out of scrums then it might be worth putting a point or two into Axe mastery as well as maxing Throwing mastery. This gives you the chance of doing double damage both throwing and melee.

Reactions: snickersnack
Ah that's a bummer, but thank you for detailed explanation.

To be honest, it works exacly the way I thought it would, just hoped I was wrong :)

BTW one more question comes to mind, can I change the name of my characters simply by manually renaming all the files of the character or would that for one reason or another just damage the files? If so, is there any way I can rename my character without risks?

Last edited:
I think a long time ago there was a feature in a program called ATMA that let you rename a character. I believe the .d2s file's name wasn't sufficient; the name also had to be changed somewhere in the data inside the file as well.

For what it's worth, a little over a year ago I had great fun building a javelin barbarian that invested heavily in both throwing mastery and spear mastery. Ergro, if you ever make a combination axe-swinger and axe-flinger, I'd love to read about it here.

Or if you prefer, the new D2R patch would let you do the same for throwing daggers: throwing mastery for ranged attacks and blade mastery for melee. That's another improvement over the legacy D2LOD that I play, in which sword mastery didn't apply to daggers.

If you max cold arrow, which has a huge cold length from the skill, and use a piece of equipment with "hit freezes target", for example iceblink, how do they interact?
When the freeze triggers, will a monster be frozen but not chilled? Frozen and then chilled?

If you max cold arrow, which has a huge cold length from the skill, and use a piece of equipment with "hit freezes target", for example iceblink, how do they interact?
When the freeze triggers, will a monster be frozen but not chilled? Frozen and then chilled?
"Applied idependently of freezelength and coldlength[...]"
~Amazon Basin

So I think it would retain the duration of the freeze target (i.e. same as normal attack), and have them chilled some time after that (if freeze duration < cold duration).

"Applied idependently of freezelength and coldlength[...]"
~Amazon Basin
So I think it would retain the duration of the freeze target (i.e. same as normal attack), and have them chilled some time after that (if freeze duration < cold duration).
Sounds like there would be no venom-style-like mix between skill and item durations then...

Has anyone used Kingslayer in D2R? It's one that I always thought might be good, but then I never really tried it...

Kingslayer
4 Socket Swords/Axes​
Mal + Um + Gul + Fal​
+30% Increased Attack Speed
+230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-25% Target Defense
20% Bonus To Attack Rating
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+1 To Vengeance
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Strength
40% Extra Gold From Monsters​

Maybe with recent changes there's some good synergy?

Reactions: Swamigoon
Has anyone used Kingslayer in D2R? It's one that I always thought might be good, but then I never really tried it...
No, I haven't bothered to upgrade to D2R yet. But I recently patted a paladin in LoD whose primary weapon was a Kingslayer sword. I only put a few points into his Vengance synergies.

No, I haven't bothered to upgrade to D2R yet. But I recently patted a paladin in LoD whose primary weapon was a Kingslayer sword. I only put a few points into his Vengance synergies.
I patted an avenger not too long ago, but I was thinking about trying a melee sorc with Kingslayer.

Reactions: Swamigoon
So just in spur of a moment I made the Oath in attachement and it rolled kinda nice (not perfect, but pretty high) and since I made it, I'd love to use it.

Could anyone recommend me any nice character for this weapon? Quick info, it's on SC, so riskier builds are fine, also I do not have Grief, BOTD, Beast etc. This is probably currently my highest damage weapon I got.

Attachments

• 1709494490130.png
    1709494490130.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
I found Oath worked great on a Paladin Zealot with Fanaticism and Holy Shield maxed. I also had an Exile shield. I didn't even have Zeal maxed. I played at players 8 until I got into Hell Act 5. Check out Devin. He wasn't what I intended, but he was a beast.

So just in spur of a moment I made the Oath in attachement and it rolled kinda nice (not perfect, but pretty high) and since I made it, I'd love to use it.

Could anyone recommend me any nice character for this weapon? Quick info, it's on SC, so riskier builds are fine, also I do not have Grief, BOTD, Beast etc. This is probably currently my highest damage weapon I got.

Nice weapon. First thing I did with a similar Oath (Balrog blade) was a Salvation Zealot which I liked, but I like Zeal. Imho there are not many builds that are undoable with a 2-hander. You just have to get creative with piling up needed resists and crowd control.

May I suggest diving into the pinned great thread: SPF Mat/Pat/Guardian Build Compilation v6? :)

Nice weapon. First thing I did with a similar Oath (Balrog blade) was a Salvation Zealot which I liked, but I like Zeal. Imho there are not many builds that are undoable with a 2-hander. You just have to get creative with piling up needed resists and crowd control.

May I suggest diving into the pinned great thread: SPF Mat/Pat/Guardian Build Compilation v6? :)

Well, I kinda of went with this and just made this little nice screenie:
screenshot009-png.89613

The damage is insane ever since I could equip the Oath, which was one or two normal baal runs, so I started NM with the Oath already equipped and oh my god, if I disregard ranged AOE killing, I probably never had a stronger character. Not so extremely soon in the game. I still keep one shotting most enemies.

Lovely.

Attachments

• Screenshot009.png
    Screenshot009.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: SirName
Does anyone else hate first half of the act III with passion? Seriously the jungles are killing me each time and it gets worse each difficulty due to the bigger map generation.

Not to mention the possibility of Great Marsh being a dead end and not even leading to Flayer Jungle is ridiculous.

The second part of the act, once in Kurast is fine, just the jungles are probably the worst part of the game for me.

I hate flayers with a passion at least. The jungles are long but the most infamous slog to me is getting through all the blasted barricades in Act V. Some characters even thrive on all the juicy leechable living enemies aftert he dry fare of the deserts and tombs.

I definitely disagree about the jungle being the worst part of the act however. The dungeons and temples are, they are terror incarnate to go down into because of the risk of stair traps. Closely followed by any sort of area with exploding dolls.

Dead ends are a moot point for me since I always do a full clear anyway, apart form evil urns which I am mostly too cowardly to touch in hell.

At one time I didn't care for the first part of Act 3, but it doesn't bother me now. What bugs me now is where there are long sections between waypoints. Number 1 is the Durance in Hell. #2 is the Canyon of the Magi and the seven tombs and #3 is from the first to the second waypoints in Act 5.

For me it also depends on the build/merc combo I'm playing. Normally, its any area where the @#$@$% dolls live. However, my Wolfbarb just laughed at them and squashed them like little bugs. It's amazing what 5k life gives you.

I've had a couple of builds where the Arcane Sanctuary and the tombs are the worst to the point where I actually skipped doing full clears.

The absolute worst was pre 1.13 Chaos Sanctuary with the OKs casting Iron Maiden

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High