2024 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Round 1 (Areas)

Good luck to all the rune finders! I managed to play three hours last night, so I’m off to a faster start than I expected.

Please state whether you are running v1.07, v1.13/1.14 or D2R.
-------------------------
PhineasB (v1.14)
little birdy (D2R)
SirName (v1.14)
Silvio415 (v1.14)
Kravnos (1.07)
maxicek (D2R)
LouB (D2R)
Vildecor (D2R)
Kstil3227 (D2R)
Εxcalibur (D2R)
ziambe (1.07)
Gynli (D2R)
Swamigoon (1.14)
Kruemelmonschda (D2R)
m4ke (D2R)
Nano (D2R)
drmalawi (1.14)

I am in! Restarted playing D2 again after a looong hiatus. I did not play more d2 back then because I was not feeling well which made me also behave like an ****. Also played Grim Dawn a lot. Now I am married and have a kid who soon turns 2 years. Also picked up building LEGO as a hobby. Working on some diablo 2 dioramas there now. This said, I feel much better now and am in a state where I can enjoy life again. This means, back to diablo 2 - the best game ever made :) I might also pickup D2R at some point but now I just wanna continue where I left off. After this RFL I will continue on my untwinked 99er.

I have not yet spent that much time in GoMule and in my notes about what char has what gear and so on, so I will just play with one of the few fully equipped chars I have at the moment - a hammerdin. Will run RoF and CS in areas for round 1, and then cow level for round 2.

I have one qualifier under my belt now so I’m just happy that I won’t be finishing with zero points 🤣 Time is going to be tight this week. Hopefully I can fit in a couple hours between now and Friday.

Reactions: drmalawi
2 hours in: still no qualifier. Having second thoughts of the run pits plan. Gained one level though (89->90). The gained skillpoint unlocked find item so that should help.

Last edited:
I am almost 3h in. I switched to lite sorc in arcane sanctuary for more speed. Not sure if char is optimized but 200 fcr yeah. Got one qualifer :) I know Zod can't drop from regular mobs in there, but in 20 h the chances are slim anyways. Plan to do cows with Hdin remains, he likes beef

Reactions: little birdy
I have one qualifier under my belt now so I’m just happy that I won’t be finishing with zero points 🤣 Time is going to be tight this week. Hopefully I can fit in a couple hours between now and Friday.
We run for just under three weeks so plenty time to make up time (as I will be doing after being gone Friday am through Sunday pm for the first weekend!)

We run for just under three weeks so plenty time to make up time (as I will be doing after being gone Friday am through Sunday pm for the first weekend!)
Yeah, I know there's time left--I just want to get off to a fast start in case other things come up between now and the end of Round 1 that could cut into my play time.

I was able to play for an hour before bedtime last night and lucked out with qualifier #2! 😎

This is of course very off-topic, but for those who you that play D2R - is it a stand alone game? I.e. it does not mess with my D2 LoD stuff? Also are there guides out there that explains the differences in game mechanics, such as order of application of debuffs, how to break immunities and so on.

Please state whether you are running v1.07, v1.13/1.14 or D2R.
PhineasB (v1.14)
little birdy (D2R)
SirName (v1.14)
Silvio415 (v1.14)
Kravnos (1.07)
maxicek (D2R)
LouB (D2R)
Vildecor (D2R)
Kstil3227 (D2R)
Εxcalibur (D2R)
ziambe (1.07)
Gynli (D2R)
Swamigoon (1.14)
Kruemelmonschda (D2R)
m4ke (D2R)
Nano (D2R)
drmalawi (1.14)
DenimChicken (D2R)

Well I was content to keep lurking outside this but I found a Sur rune yesterday from Terrorized Mephisto and was like maybe I should give this a try lol. I won't be counting that one since I hadn't started yet but hopefully my rune luck didn't run out after that one!

Personally I like to run lots of different zones with whatever character I'm feeling like at the moment, and get bored with doing the exact same thing. So I'm glad the Areas portion allows you to do almost anything except for the two. So yeah probably run all sorts of level 85 areas, terror zones, and occasionally even non-terrorized non-level 85 zones, I know it's crazy! But sometimes it's just fun to pop into a oft-neglected area. Funnily enough I'm playing my hammerdin right now which isn't exactly off meta but it's been a while since I played him. Thinking of returning to non-dream holy shock paladin soon as well. Time to start the timer!

Reactions: ziambe
This is of course very off-topic, but for those who you that play D2R - is it a stand alone game? I.e. it does not mess with my D2 LoD stuff? Also are there guides out there that explains the differences in game mechanics, such as order of application of debuffs, how to break immunities and so on.
AFAIK its a stand alone game, but I don't have it yet.

What do mean regarding guides? iirc you are a pretty experienced player and so probably already know that the only way to break immunities in LOD is with Lower Resist and Convinction which both work at 20% efficiency on immunities.

In D2R you can carry a sunder charm for any element and it will break the immunity by setting the monster's new resistance to 95%. What I do not recall is whether further resistance reduction works at 100% or a reduced rate, but that should be easy to find.

In other news, my first set finished today and the results indicate that a 2nd set will be required :/

Probably spending way too much time sifting through all the shiny blues, yellows and greens...
1712747957873.png
1712747986365.png
1712748009725.png
1712748043907.png
1712748074060.png

Potential for four sockets:
1712748106378.png
1712748130652.png
1712748156350.png

Reactions: DenimChicken
AFAIK its a stand alone game, but I don't have it yet.

What do mean regarding guides? iirc you are a pretty experienced player and so probably already know that the only way to break immunities in LOD is with Lower Resist and Convinction which both work at 20% efficiency on immunities.

In D2R you can carry a sunder charm for any element and it will break the immunity by setting the monster's new resistance to 95%. What I do not recall is whether further resistance reduction works at 100% or a reduced rate, but that should be easy to find.

In other news, my first set finished today and the results indicate that a 2nd set will be required :/

Probably spending way too much time sifting through all the shiny blues, yellows and greens...

breaking of immunities was just an example. Assume that I already know (all) game mechanics of D2, is there a list of changes in such. Another example would be frames and break points, are those the same? And so on.

I get tons of blue charms, jools and jewlery in AS. But I do not bother picking them up :)

I think your best bet is to search the Blizzard site for patch notes for 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6. There were some big balance changes in 2.4 to skills and synergies, and mercenaries. There have been new rune words added in 2.4 and 2.6. And, specifically for immunities and the new way to break them, you'll want to read up on Sunder Grand Charms. Sites like Maxroll have a lot of info too (e.g. their page on Sunder Charms). I'm pretty sure Excalibur's guide on this site at least makes mention of Sunder Charms as well (https://www.purediablo.com/strategy/monster-resistances-immunities-guide)

edit: Here is the page for patch 2.4 notes: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo2/23788293/diablo-ii-resurrected-patch-2-4-ladder-now-live

1/2 way done with the first set running my Hurricane Druid through TZs...2 qualifiers...I'll take it for now. Once this set is done, I'll take the DoubleThrow Barb to trav for a set...if I get the time before this round is over...

Reactions: little birdy
A few hours in and got my first qualifier. Let's just say I'm glad I signed up yesterday ;) Playing one of my favourite characters to take on terrorized players 7-8 in a holy shock paladin. No dream runewords (yet) but crescent moon, exile, and a light sunder w/ infinity merc make this guy able to kill efficiently anywhere and is nigh unkillable with constant lifetap procs. He's also fun because it's sort of off-meta without dream so I can use some neat items like crown of ages and crafted gloves that I found were hard to find optimal uses for elsewhere. Hope to get some more qualifiers soon!

I completed my set! Now I am testing out upgraded fire sorc for cows. Decided to leave Hdin in CS for leveling instead of cow hunting :)

Not many days left until end of round 1! Keep going everybody get those high runes dropzzz!!!

I started my set this weekend with about 5 hours clocked in the Arcane Sanctuary. Using my ES Nova Sorc on the flat path only. Definitely easier in D2R than D2LoD with double Nova damage and Mana Burn bug fixed.

~7 hours over the 2 weekends.
Will grind out the rest over the next few days after work 💪

Also complaining here for the same reasons as @SirName.

Good luck to me and have fun to everyone else. ;)

Reactions: SirName
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High