Which build has the highest expected value of 30 minutes of gameplay?

That would largely depend on what you value. What are you looking for?

For me, I like killing stuff in different ways. Can really enjoy a couple of slow pit runs with a non-enigma wind druid, or do whatever is the hole in the ancients' way with a fire sorc. Or try getting something out of my 3k mephisto runs with a pure blizzard sorceress. Or waste some cows for socketables (and the occassional rune).

Reactions: d2lover
Is this really a measure of build or of other factors such as area farmed, MF equipped and whether the individual is a soc or has Enigma. I think play style will also be a huge part of the answers you get. It seems that a lot of people focus on running an area quickly and repetitively to maximize the number of boss packs that they can do in a given time period.

While that may produce results, it's not fun for me and to me if your not having fun why play. I rather quest and hope that something juicy drops than focusing on finding items.

To take a stab at an actual answer to your question, based on what I've read I would think a blizzard Sorceress or a Pitzerker barbarian would give you the highest TV/time.

Is this really a measure of build or of other factors such as area farmed, MF equipped and whether the individual is a soc or has Enigma. I think play style will also be a huge part of the answers you get. It seems that a lot of people focus on running an area quickly and repetitively to maximize the number of boss packs that they can do in a given time period.

While that may produce results, it's not fun for me and to me if your not having fun why play. I rather quest and hope that something juicy drops than focusing on finding items.

To take a stab at an actual answer to your question, based on what I've read I would think a blizzard Sorceress or a Pitzerker barbarian would give you the highest TV/time.
I play for fun mainly, but some of the fun comes ALSO from finding nice stuff, but when you see my chars, there are many that have no use for hunting goodies, a few even that are so expensive that they never payed themselves(dual dream paladin with forti+grief on)

Also I like the farming of Gold with my GF barb, but it is an absolute timewaste to gamble the gold away if you restrict to circlets/coronets only. I had much more fun gambling for any ring, amulet, and the occasional circ, because you just see more stuff, and I'm still missing the perfect magic ring haha.

I started a Fissure Druid and another Frostzealot (my other one weared full gris), but I farm now switching between Cowjava and Pindlezerker.

But I have to agree, fun should be the only reason to play any character.

I just would like to know what a chinese prisoner would have to do the whole day, when the most profitable game would be Diablo 2 :D ( :( )

Also the style of picking up things would interest me.

Picking up flawless gems for example is imo a huge timewaste.

I have cubed multiple times 2k flawless to perfect gems, then spend time crafting/cubing.

The upgrading of gems is not fun at any way, and the crafting/cubing rarely gives a result where I am happy that I did upgrade all the gems.

But on the other hand those crafts/cubes enable me builds and finishing of characters to play.

Just think about it, you would have to pick up 45 flawless gems and cube them AND trade or use them to just beat the picking up of a Pul (?)

Some even don't pick up anything below Vex in tournaments, because their stash is full of wealth, I can understand them... NOW

So to come to the point:
The topic is more academic, because I hope no one is playing for maximum efficiency

The upgrading of gems is not fun at any way, and the crafting/cubing rarely gives a result where I am happy that I did upgrade all the gems.

Just think about it, you would have to pick up 45 flawless gems and cube them AND trade or use them to just beat the picking up of a Pul (?)

Some even don't pick up anything below Vex in tournaments, because their stash is full of wealth, I can understand them... NOW
You have to make full use of GoMule's picking and dropping functionality as well as filters to speed up cubing and crafting. That is at least how I do it, otherwise I probably would do it far less.

If you do not want to pick all PGems you will have to resort to charm farming in 1.07-1.09 for a chance at 45 life skillers and other good skillers.

Technically for some characters crafting caster amulets in 1.09+ is a waste as well because they can make use of fcr values in excess of +20%. Nevertheless crafting caster amulets is definitely worth it. Some have doubted the value of blood rings and other crafts and I tend to agree, most crafts are too bad in order to drop the two affixes you could get from a rare.

Funnily enough there was a thread by Gripphon in the old SPTF where he offered high runes for insane amount of PGems and people actually made that trade. The runes are worthless to him because he does not have anything to do with them (or at least I believe so) but highly sought after by newcomers or people who have far less time to play. So to me it's clear: If you want as much TV as you can get per time you should run Travincal until you are saturated with high runes. From then on you sell them for PGems :p

Also I really appreciate the fact that Cham and Zod have decent value here :), but only because I found some of those haha

Travincal is decent, but the jackpot is basically Jah(/Cham). And afaik apart from eth Reapers, you can't find any gg stuff from them.

You also have to keep in mind, that once you flood the market with findings from Trav, the HRs will drop slightly in value, because every one has made their Enigma&Infinity. But not for me, there is value in not having to switch Enigma ect around the chars.

My goal is to have every char equipped with THEIR stuff, so I can play them when I want :)

That's why I still pick up Ravenfrosts to gomule, even if they are garbage (not 20 dex, not high AR).

Actually I played with a thought to sort my rare stash, because it's full of triple dura rares and very few actually good items, also I might see an item that REQUESTS a build around :D

@art_vandelay I know you can pick up from inventory, drop all to inventory, sort by name (or search 'ess') and I have a seperated gem stash, anything I miss?

I have only one real dream of the bloodring recipe, and that is a manaleech(therefore dualleech), @, 25 str, some other affix which is good. For a build that can't get enough manaleech from any other slot. I think Faithbowa is one of those builds. And 1.07 rings can't have it... (3 ll would be enough, so all automods are in use and ok)

I might have to check if ultimately a rare ring is better for that.

I find the Ort+PSaphire Chaingloves recipe good, for knockback gloves, but so far I have only 2 that are good and probably 400 tries

I have played with the idea to keep D2R completely selffound and only stuff from that patch, singleplayerwise, bnet I think I will trade.

Can you link that thread @art_vandelay

Travincal is decent, but the jackpot is basically Jah(/Cham). And afaik apart from eth Reapers, you can't find any gg stuff from them.
Perfect facets, Skillers, SCs for PvP and PvM, Jewels, Wisp. You have to keep in mind that 95% of all uniques/sets are essentially worthless anyway, so even in AT/Pits you are farming for 30 items or so that are actually useful (Fathom, Griffon's, DWeb, etc.), farming for Tyrael's is a waste of time to be honest.

That's why I still pick up Ravenfrosts to gomule, even if they are garbage (not 20 dex, not high AR).
I would priorities dex over AR, mostly because Java doesn't care and to me it is always more valuable to not have to respec because I found something with slightly more Dex/Str on it.

@art_vandelay I know you can pick up from inventory, drop all to inventory, sort by name (or search 'ess') and I have a seperated gem stash, anything I miss?
The way I do it:
  1. Pick up 10 crafting materials of the same type.
  2. Drop to inventory. (They will automatically lie in one row)
  3. Repeat 1 and 2 for the other three ingredients.
  4. Pick up the rightmost column and place them in the cube.
  5. Move two of the ingredients of second row from the right into the rightmost row.
  6. Place Cube in inventory.
  7. Save + close character in GoMule, craft + S&E ingame.
  8. Pick up crafts from inventory and into a stash.
  9. Repeat 1-8 until all materials are gone.
  10. Drop crafts into inventory and sell ingame.
I guess the main optimization here is to let GoMule arrange the materials for you by dropping in 10s and to not look at crafts until all are done. The last thing is very important to stay motivated, at least for me.

I would never craft in the character's stash, that is just too slow.

Also if you didn't know, you can place the cube in itself if the stash is full. I never looked at what effect that has ingame. Be wary of that in ATMA though, the cube used to work differently and ATMA might eat some of your items if you try this.

I find the Ort+PSaphire Chaingloves recipe good, for knockback gloves, but so far I have only 2 that are good and probably 400 tries
And that would be an exception to the rule, totally blanked on those. Chances without optimization are 1 in 700 or so, so not bad to get two "good" ones, assuming by that you mean 2/20.

Can you link that thread @art_vandelay
Which thread?

Ah didn't know they could drop whisp! I may gear up a char that beats the council as fast as possible :) (only have GF barb and trash map)

ah ok, I always craft out of the stash because I want to gamble the amulets/rings first

I don't bother selling the stuff back, I just pick up the 16 crafts and drop them all in the craft stash

Last I checked it's indeed 1/700, but only for one tree, so 1/350 for java/bow, 1/~250 for all ama trees, mart tree is probably trash

The thread on the old forums where HRs are sold for tons of PGs, (I assume that was back in the old droprates?)

These are the prices I traded runes at

Pul - 15
Um - 30
Mal - 30
Ist - 60
Gul - 40
Vex - 80
Ohm - 120
Lo - 200
Sur - 200
Ber - 400
Jah - 450
Cham - 500

Dunno what are prices today admittedly

Perfect gems are not so valuable by themselves (with exception of amethysts due to caster crafts), but in the old days PvP players were the most wealthy on forum (today too I believe) and to get nice things from them, you either have rare items they want or easier way is to amass pgems for trading.

This also influenced the rune prices as well. I'll say this. From PvP perspective, Ber is the most valuable rune. No Cham, no Zod, no Jah, Ber. Because it gives damage reduction which is super important and can be socketed in many items. It wasn't the priciest rune because it is easily farmed in LK. Lo rune is as valuable as Sur because we PvP-ers rerolled 380 damage Griefs to get 390+. Now, PvP perspective is irrelevant for PvM, but it is important in trading because, well, wealthiest players are PvPers.

For your first character, uniques are more useful than high runes, because you need the right combination to make a runeword.

In the middle-stage of gearing, runes are the most useful because they give powerful runewords.

In the endgame of gearing, jewels, charms, crafted items, rares, and timetravelled items are the only things challenging to acquire. Gems are valuable because they give you a chance at these things. At a certain point runes become pointless. Prior to 1.13, not even the richest of the rich reached the point where runes are largely pointless. Now it's a common occurrence. Competition for the Zod God is one of the SPFs high rune sinks.

As far as I know, this topic (efficiency) has been settled for years. At least, insofar as legacy goes.

A special thanks to Gripphon and all other participants, info gatherers, and general obsessives that made these data sets.

I also want to say that if you haven't, read Fabian's Pitzerker guide. Even if you don't want to play one, it is worth the read.

Like Pyrohemia said, it depends on what you're looking for, and what your trading partners are looking for if you're trading.

Dedicated MF char running Pit, AT or Pindle for S&Us, dedicated LK, Trav, cow or AS runner for things like runes and crafting materials. Plus many "in between" options that are worse for any specific goal but have some other benefits.

There are countless threads and resources dealing with which builds are best suited for those tasks, such as this this resource compilation where I tried to put together as much information as possible from all over the forums on these type of questions.

I can assure you I pick up every single flawless amethyst I see. Really good caster amulets are a major end game goal for pretty much every character I care about. I do have nice ones, such as 2/20s for strong builds that benefit from them, and I am still looking to craft more and more, in hopes of getting better secondary mods etc.

Rubies I don't pick up quite as much. After crafting a couple of nice bloodcroft gloves and belts, it just comes down to the rings. But bloodcraft rings only have the potential to be slightly better than rare rings (as opposed to caster amulets which can be much better). But if I'm not looking for something in particular and just "casually" doing some farming, I'll pick those up as well.

Other flawless gems kinda depends on the mood. Generally I don't pick many of them, but sometimes I do. Mostly in order to reroll high ilvl GCs. But honestly to me it seems just running LK is just as good if not better for GCs as well, at least until you're exclusively looking for >40 life skillers or something like that (in other words, unless you're nulio).

Rune values have dropped tremendously over the years. In 2007, I auctioned off a Sur rune to fill missing grail items. At the time I was missing 14 items and I got the following 9 for the Sur

Astreon's Iron Ward
Azurewrath
Death's Fathom
Death's Web
Earth Shifter
Griswold's Honor
Metalgrid
The Cranium Basher
The Stone of Jordan

• Wow
PurePremium