What are your hopes for Diablo 4?

In The Name of Zod

Jul 13, 2007
That they complete it? Under the current situation with Blizzard losing its head hunchos what importance could be placed on the success of Blizzards game ip? Blizzard/Activision share price was pummetted quite heavily around the time they announced Diablo Immortal which saw the conglomerate lose years of gains. Will Diablo 4 feel more like an Activision game than a Blizzard game?

How many players will this matter to anyhow, there are a lot of people that play Activision games so a lot of them may not feel too bad about it if it is actually fun for them.
Are these simple requests below too much:
  • That monetization isn't impeding on gameplay.
  • It feels like a Diablo game
  • That its not pay to win or progress monetization.
Past the basics of what I like to see in a sequel and more about Diablo what would you want in D4? What do I want? The Diablo 2 classes back and playable and powerful as they were in Diablo 2. That's would be a great start if they could do that.

Hmmm. Good questions. I went to the OTF to make a thread about what I would like for a relaunch/reimagined D2, but discovered that in the OTF, one cannot discuss D2 at all. Then I found your thread, and all is good.

First off, I never bought D3, and so cannot comment on how that game has affected the franchise. That being said, I have a great many ideas for a (rebuilt) D2, and would hope my ideas would get some discussion. Before I go on, though, is it ok to talk here about a reworked D2? Like I said, I have a great many ideas, but they all center on basically just reworking D2, keeping as much of the original/current look and feel as possible.

So, is that what you are looking for here, or no?

Ok then, I would just start off by wanting them to literally rework D2/LOD, keeping the exact same graphics for the existing character classes, towns, and dungeons, but provide some more functionality within the base program, like an item mover add on, so that:
  • I can easily swap items from inventory spaces to stash spaces and vice versa.
  • I can easily sort items in either space, by hitting a button added to the GUI, and having programmable filters.
  • If common stash is implemented, then include these features in that, as well.
  • Have a strip button, that when clicked on, displays my character/skills screens without any effect from equipped items, and also have the option to include charms effects, as well.
  • A larger stash, but tied to a particular character storyline progression, the farther into the game you go, the larger your stash grows.
I have things I need to do today and tomorrow, so lets start off the discussion on the above points now, and then I can see what others are thinking.

Well, if theres anything i have learned from diablo 3, its to be careful what you wish for. I personally dont want diablo 4. I would prefer to have a patch for diablo 2, with a higher resolution, as well as a better system to deal with bots. As for the question whether diablo 4 is going to be more of an activision game than a blizzard game, i would say so. So its probably going to be something else than what most of the fans wants. Im not going to buy it, im going to stay with diablo 2. If anything, the fiasco with diablo 3 has taught me to appriciate what i have already got.

Last edited:
So you guys are more looking forward to the Diablo 2 remaster/remake then? I noticed quite a bit of pessimism surrounding anything Blizzard related anytime D4 is brought up (not just here). Many people believe that Blizzard can't make a true D2 sequel (myself included). The biggest issue to me is if in some crazy way they actually do make Diablo 4 feel like a true spiritual successor to D2 then it's more than likely it will be pay to win just like D3 was on release. Anyhow, one day to go and we might find out how they are planning to get money out of their players.

Gameplay-wise, I would like to see the return of skill points, attribute points, runes and charms. I would also like to see the return of unique items and dropping the term legendary. One of the smartest things in D2 was the recyclability of almost anything you find without breaking things down into crafting ingredients.

Anyhow, if they can do some new things like improving AI then at least that would make for an interesting talk point imo.

Well, i was incredibly excited about diablo 3. I had been waiting for that damn game for almost ten years. I think it took me a few days of playing, before i realized that something was up. It didnt feel right. It didnt feel like a diablo game. Of course, the whole controversy with jay wilson didnt help the slightest bit. I think the chances of blizzard making the diablo 4 that we want is about zero, give or take a few percent. Its not that blizzard doesnt want to make a good diablo game, because im sure they do. Its the lack of talent available at blizzard. Some of the people working there right now seems to be clueless when it comes to diablo. If you spend some time listening to david brevik talk about his blizzard north days, you really start to realize how talented these people were at making games. Its going to be really hard, if not impossible to find a similar group of talented people to make diablo 4.

Last edited:
Hey, I wasn't expecting a reply tonight. Been wondering where everyone is what with all the attention around Blizzcon atm. I presume you meant D3, not D4 :). Yeah, I love listening to David. Seen a lot of YT's with him in them. He was pretty damning with regards to Blizzard being unable to remake D2 mostly due to animation issues using the original assets while trying to keep the game in an "as-is" feel.

Talking about the D3 dev team though (i have an itch to scratch).. right from the outset of when D3 was announced, there was a clear disregard for anything D2 related coming from them. There is no way to defend their arrogance. I remember how when anything D2 came up they would try to whitewash out any concerns with something new in D3 or they just didn't have an answer. They just didn't care about comparing themselves to D2 in any way shape or form. They also made another big error and that was having 2 teams competing with each when making each update/patch which effectively killed off a lot of potential additive content early on. Because the teams were competing with each other they overwrote each other changes. The whole project was a fuckfest.

Talking about creative talent though, "people that want to take inspiration from products that deserve recognition and take it to the next level". This is what D2 was to D1 and its what's needed for D4 to feel right. I said years ago, they did it right with SC2 so why couldn't they do it with D3?! SC2 looked right, it looked like Starcraft. I don't think it's just a talent issue so much as it is an open-minded one. Attitude and mentality first.

Thank god they didn't do the first iteration of D4 though, that insane plan to make a 3rd person shooter styled diablo omg lmao. I was so happy when I found out about that being cancelled. In many ways, I am more looking forward to the Diablo 2 remake/remaster news than the D4 stuff. If I had to pick between the two I too would go with anything D2 related at Blizzcon.

I am hoping that it is revealed at the opening ceremonies in a few hours. I am hyped but like people said about D3, burn me once ok, it is your fault. Burn me twice, it is my fault. My fault for getting hyped and my fault for believing in this franchise. I still believe though and want a new game that works, very badly. Call me naive but that's the Diablo lover in me.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High