The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, The Saviours of Sanctuary Rise Anew

Huge congratz to you aswell @PhineasB .
So many 99 er barbs.

Btw can someone give me a quick overview what gear i should be collecting for the nila farm? I know i need beast but what about the rest of the gear?

Reactions: PhineasB
@Pax1990 There are many builds for Barbarians and the equipment is severely dependent on your build choice. My plan for Brute for example is to run Chaos Sanctuary seal bosses with Berserker until level 98, where I´d start with Nihlathak or esed up Diablo + Nihlathak runs. I haven't decided yet, which path to go, but the latter should be more fun I reckon. Anyways, Grief, Enigma, Arreat, Highlord´s Wrath, Verdungo´s, Ravenfrost, Stormshield, Laying of Hands could be the core items for berserker in CS / Nihlathak chamber. It would be wise to check the breakpoints and make necessary adjustments where needed though. IAS jewels could be particularly useful ... and you could have 105 FCR on switch if you are happy with your damage output and life pool etc.

Last edited:
@D30D043 This seems to be going around quite prevalently, since I've seen several people talk about doing zerker CS runs for exp. But why do people think this will work well? In order to get good exp prior to level 98 you have to mass kill minions, not just bosses, and zerker doesn't do that too well. Anyways I really didn't mean that to sound annoying, but I'm just curious how this started, since I find it confusing. At level 98, he's a decent p1/p7 diablo killer, but that's a comparitively very slow strategy before 98.

Reactions: D30D043
In general Barb is quite a versatile char, but when it comes to getting XP the choices of builds and targets are rather limited frankly. Basically WW for Lister/Baal and then Conc for Nihl, everything else will be far inferior in terms of efficient XP gain. Sub 98 is pretty slow anyway even if you take the most efficient approach with Baal/WW, but at least 98-99 is fast with Conc.

Speaking of Barbs: After a hot start, we hit a rather dry streak in LK since the last update. No progress on the Sur/Ber front... #complaining!

We still got a couple of runes though, the highest one being another Gul, along with Ist, Mal and Pul. At least is charm collection is already quite respectable, with another (third) Sharp GC with life (albeit only 5 this time) and a couple of other decent GCs and SCs. I do pick up the occasional LC as well, but didn't get any useful ones so far. Also at about half a dozen 5-7 MF SCs at this point.

Screenshots:
Screenshot002.jpgScreenshot003.jpg

Second cold dmg Sharp GC, those are great for Baal running if I do decide to go there:

Screenshot004.jpgScreenshot005.jpgScreenshot011.jpgScreenshot035.jpgScreenshot038.jpgScreenshot039.jpgScreenshot040.jpgScreenshot041.jpg

The Pala I played in this challenge didn't see any Surs in LK either for some reason, but he got 3 relatively quick Bers. Wouldn't mind that either -- as long as it's one or the other :D come on RNG!

#complaining!

A bit disappointed, in the past I've had success within 10 minutes after complaining, but good enough...

Screenshot014.jpg

@D30D043 yea dia runs with a barb felt awful to me.

@ffs nice progress in lk!

I read some barb 99er write ups and it seems many are using reduce damage amulet and reduce damage circle with sols. do i just gamble those items?
also i need blood gloves instead of loh. do i have to just change these 3 slots plus beast?

I got my circlet and amulet from LK, but I spent far too long there and also I understand people don't pick up as much shit as I do :) You can for sure gamble them... I don't know if it will be easy to roll the desired mods, tho :/

If you have a nice fcr ring I'd totally go for CB gloves! I didn't have a 10fcr/ml/ll ring so I went with @ResTTe 's option and used Magefists.

Ok. I guess i will have to experiment a little bit with different setups. I never ran nila before.
I hope i can get circle and amu until 98.
Merc needs delirium tho right?

Magefist for the 105fcr breakpoint with 2x wizspike?

Last edited:
Ok ty for the help.
And why is a flat dmg reduction better than say the 10% from shaco?

edit: allready gambled a 21 dmg reduction fire res amu

Last edited:
Reactions: Luhkoh
A bit disappointed, in the past I've had success within 10 minutes after complaining, but good enough...

Super jealous! Complaining didn't seem to work with my last Zon's LK runs. Made me even wonder if the players settings really did carry over each run.

Speaking of which, I decided to go with the amazon again. I've got an untwinked HC zon that's been sitting at the countess for months while I focused on other characters. I had planned on doing a single-pass playthrough with her, but I think I'll just rush her to Hell LK. She'd be my most likely candidate for the RFO cows round, though I seriously doubt she'll manage to scrape together both Enigma and Infinity by then.

@Pax1990 check phineas's "99er compendium" and read the section on lvl 98-99 and nihlathak. It will be a big help. Within is a link to a post from onderduiker talking about the mechanics of vipers' poison clouds (which are the reason you want iDR). Good luck!

edit: allready gambled a 21 dmg reduction fire res amu
The FR is handy with the CE from Nihl and that's a solid iPDR roll. I know others didn't bother much with resists on their Barbs, but I like the resist bump my guy's amulet provided. I also found that just the amulet was sufficient, with extra life leech from SoE and quick S&E finger. I think I bailed more than the three more recent Barbs, but hitting hard with Guillame's I think kept my runs quick enough that it wasn't too much an issue. Also, if you have a spare Jah at that point, Dream is almost as effective for merc with confuse, and no risk of crashing. Just sayin' . . .

FYI, here's a link to the Compendium Luhkoh mentioned:

@Pax1990 If we are talking about farming Nihla with barb, i can add some stuff to the conversation i think.

iDR is king, but %DR is usefull too. I got the idea of using iDR gear from @Bewitch and built my barb as tanky as i was able too. You can check my thoughts on barb in my write-up here: Write-up, but i will also share some thoughts in this post, cause why not.

I don't have like a big pile of numbers when it comes to exp/h, but my AVG runtime was 24,22s over the whole 98-99 lvling. It should get you about 3,3 mill exp/h assuming 22164 exp from nihla only on p8. That AVG runtime was decreasing during the lvling as i was getting better and better with the build. I think i was able to run with like 23-23,5s AVG at the end. That's with: going max life build with as much iDR as possible, without any exp shrines, with picking up many items and playing with sound. Nihla S&E times are terrible no matter what, but you can still cut them a little bit with "-ns" command. I assume you can get like sub 22s runs with that build which would give you about 3,6mil exp/h. Switching to gface or highlord's or both would make the runes shorter by about 1-2s.

I decided to go for max life, cause it looked better in my mind than going full DMG. Don't know about mixing those 2 up, but i still think iDR circlet > Gface. You can get up to 25 iDR on a magic circlet and it can roll up to 2/3 sockets depending on the base or you can just larzuk it for 1/2 sockets. It can easly become over half of your total iDR, even if you have a good amulet. With my build, i had 59 iDR total and over 5k life. It's quite hard to get killed by some random vipers. Might/fana ones can be pretty much insta death, but what's interesting is that your merc will be less tanky then you, so he will die quicker and when he dies, the bug with the clouds won't happen, so you are fine in theory. I've seen that many times during all those runs i did. Also had that one situation when merc was dead and i teleported to some random spot and my life just disappeared in a blink of an eye, that's why i wrote "in theory"... (XD) but yeah, that was a big benefit of going full iDR. Here is a video of my barb if anybody is interested: Nihla barb (some other nice clips of vipers dealing massive DMG in the playlist too).

You can also boost your tankiness with equipping more items with leech. My barb had like 17% life leech at some point and he was getting that health back fast as heck. I even decided to switch from String of Ears to Dungo's, cause i didn't need that much health regeneration.

Accodring to @Luhkoh's Nihla simulation, gface + Highlord's kills regular Nihla in ~4s, gface + iDR amu in ~4,65 and iDR circ + amu in ~5,7s. Stone Skin Nihla should be like 8,6s vs 9,9s vs 10,8s respectively. That's with might aura proc and without decrep proc. Maybe Luhkoh can check those numbers and improve his simulation if needed ^^ If we assume 1s difference between mixed setup and full iDR setup, it results in like 3,5 hours saved by going with gface. A single death with picking up the body is about 2 hours with ~24s runs. The are many variables like the aura and decrep proc, so it's hard to get the exact numbers.

Worth mentioning is the fact that my barb had many close calls at the start when i was trying many different things and getting used to the playstyle. He died once at about 45% of the lvl and it was my stupid mistake. You aren't suppose to run around like a madman to get to nihla when there are fana vipers in the area XD You loose your focus for half a second and you are dead. The clip: Nihla death

I think it's enough info in this post. Wasn't that much active in the forum lately, cause i am playing different games at the moment. That's probably why i wrote quite a lot ^^

Last edited:
For a very different perspective, I'd say iPDR isn't required at all. :D

I did 98-99 Nihl on all three of my chars in this challenge, none of which had any iDR except from Nature's Peace. I did use more iDR gear on my Sorc in the beginning, but at one dropped it... rather had 4.4m XP/h later on. :p

The way I think about Nihl running and Vipers it is that no amount of iDR can save you from nasty spawns with Amp or Might/Fana etc., you will not be able to tank that... forget it. The only safety guarantee is quick finger to hit ESC. When you're always ready do S&E once you see the spawn, you don't need iDR either, and IMO it was better to speed up those Nihl kills. The faster Nihl falls and the shorter your time down there, the safer the runs after all.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High