Sorceress Static Field

Use this prefix for Sorceress posts.

Elly

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
www.purediablo.com
Is it bonkers to ramp up Static Field to have a massive radius? I play in MP games and use Blizzard. I'm new to the Sorc and on NM just now and it's still working out fine.

When I respecced just before starting NM I again ramped up Static Field but now I have my NM respec I'm wondering if I should carry on or I'll live to regret this route.

I'm suspicious that it's still working so well.

I make no claims to being a great Sorc player. But my concerns would be:
- points in Static meaning fewer points in synergies
- the limit on Static in Hell to no more than 50% of monster health
- monster health regen in Hell partially negating Static's benefits for anything outside your Blizzard

I think of the skill in terms of how close I need to get to the specific mobs I'm trying to kill. I'm less concerned with hitting the whole screen, because I can't follow-up with damage on the whole screen.

So, enough hard points in Static to be comfortable, but if "ramp up" means maxing it...personally I think I would end up wishing for some of those points back once I hit Hell.

On the other hand, if you're typically running with others who could apply damage to more of the screen than you can alone, then more Static radius probably would increase the group kill speed.

My two cents anyway. We need a Sorc guru to weigh in!

Reactions: Elly
been playing sorcs almost all my life i just hit it with 1 point... the +skills from gear will take care of the rest. same goes for telekenisis and teleport

I'm not putting more than one skill point into static field. I'm using that skill in desparate situations only, like when getting past tough bosses in order to finish quests while having crappy gear.

Telekinesis is good for merc support when dealing with monsters who are immune to your primary type of damage. It puts them in hit recovery half of the time, even if they are immune to lightning.

Other good one point investmants for sorcs are warmth, frozen armor and (of course!!) teleport.

Whatever, if you are on your first character (who is probably meant to do all the MF for some time), I wouldn't bother too much about the perfect skill or stat point distribution. When you are still poor, invest what has to be invested. You find Ali Baba's sword? Invest into dex, so you can wear it! You are good at keeping the upper hand with static field and use it often? Invest a few points! Once you are through the times of misery and have his or her final gear, respec your character, either with the quest reward or with essences.

Thanks for the advice guys. I love the skill but grudgingly admit it's going to fall short in Hell.

Right now I'm still only in NM and it's working in conjunction with Blizzard and Firewall. I'm pretty sure this'll have to change for Hell though.

I have none of the good kit I ever see mentioned, it's all shamefully crap so before I respec that'll need to improve too.

Reactions: Redgrove
You will use static field all the time in Hell, probably more than NM. Mostly against bosses/superuniques/elites. But putting more than one point is a waste in the long run as others have said. Usually your gear gets it up to
10+ by endgame, which is enough. And until then let your Merc tank if you need to get closer.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High