Reinstall Question

Noodle

Jul 18, 2003
Reinstall Question

My BF sin is at Hell Ancients, but as soon as I activate the shrine, my screen freezes up. If I hit the Windows button to escape to the desktop, I see a popup with an error message. Upon clicking 'OK', Diablo shuts down. I'm guessing / hoping removing and reinstalling Diablo will correct the error, but want to ensure I don't lose any of my stashes or characters. If I remove and reinstall the program, will it automatically wipe out my saved files? Should I burn them to a CD just to be on the safe side?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and I will root for the team of your choice in the next World Cup.

- Noodle

I remember someone reporting a similar problem, also an asassin at the ancients, apparently it had to do with the assassin (the class) being bugged. A forum search might help.

Uninstalling should not remove your save files and stashes. Nevertheless, if it's a while since you've done so, it's not a bad idea to make a backup.

Do you have direct3d running? I think there was an error like this caused when I activated ancients before.

I'd at least save the save folder to another location, and then zip it as well, for your D2 saves and your atma stashes, I usually backup once every other week, and then save it to a memory stick just incase my pc goes haywire.

EDIT: I think San is right, there is a bug caused by CoS if its cast sometimes. I had the same problem and just thought it was direct3d running, just remember this bug last year. Can remember if I reinstalled or just changed the seed by going to an MP game though.

Thank you for the help. I searched under 'Reinstall', while it sounds like 'Assassin bug' or something to that effect may have been more helpful.

I'll test the Cloak of Shadows thing tonight when I get home from work - hopefully avoiding its use will do the trick. I'm eager to Mat this girl and move on to my next project.

I appreciate the prompt replies!

- Noodle

I know that others have had problems with the Assassin at the ancients, but usually it happens a bit into the fight. As San mentioned, were you using CoS at the time? Some other graphically intensive skills may also cause a problem. I'd look into that and Vang's suggestion before re-installing, since I there is a good chance that the re-install won't help.

Hi Noodle,

Can you tell me what exactly the error message said? I had a bug that plagued me for almost a month, and I'm wondering if it's the same problem as yours.

While researching the bug, I discovered that it was almost exclusive to assassins...except I was playing a barbarian.

FYI, my problem wasn't fixed via reinstall, but instead by manually replacing the D2DATA.mpq file.

EDIT: Here's the thread discussing my problem:

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517987

I'll test the Cloak of Shadows thing tonight when I get home from work - hopefully avoiding its use will do the trick. I'm eager to Mat this girl and move on to my next project.
If shadow minions can cast CoS, tell them to take a hike before clicking the altar.

I have definitely posted about this. Its an assassin thing. Graphics shouldn't be an issue my desktop was bought to run a CAD program; half gb graphics card and 2gig ram on a 2.6ghz processor. Kill them quickly is the only way. I wound up having to get an old char to kill them on one occassion as I wasn't getting killed but the freeze lock meant I was stuck.

Hi Noodle,

Can you tell me what exactly the error message said? I had a bug that plagued me for almost a month, and I'm wondering if it's the same problem as yours.

That's almost identical to my error message - I think mine referenced a different line. I'm at work, so I can't tell the exact line.

Tonight I plan to:

1) Dismiss my Shadow.
2) Try the Ancients without CoS. (I'm used to using it for the increase chance to hit.)
3) Turn off direct3D if I have it running.

I'll update this with my findings. Big thanks to all who replied!

- Noodle

Last edited:
If it doesn't work you can always try sending someone a copy of your char to test on their comp before you go through the hassle of a reinstall, or perhaps have someone else hit the alter before you even enter the arreat plataeu?

Played last night without CoS, and the game never froze up. Of course, I wasn't able to kill the Ancients, so I'm rethinking my merc setup and shopping for a wand with life tap charges. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

- Noodle

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High