Random Tournament 2024!

I finally had a chance to start my new Paladin, Arek. I've always liked the idea of the Vengeance Paladin, but never made it very far with one. Is now the time?

I'm playing D2R for the first time, and I'm still figuring out all the differences. The biggest problem I foresee will be with storage... I saw that there is a D2R version of GoMule, but the download links don't seem to work.

I had a lot more close calls than I'm used to in Act 1. The rogue mercenary seemed a lot less useful than I remember too. Act I was still pretty easy on players 8 though. I found a scepter with +3 to Might very early on, and I used that as my aura for most of the act, until I found my first Grand Scepter that I switched to for the damage boost. From then on I stuck to the defensive auras, either Defiance or one of the Resistance ones depending on what enemies I was fighting. Eventually I plan to mainly run Salvation and switch to Redemption as needed.

I have found one set piece so far, and it's one I can actually use, Infernal Cranium.

Andariel gave me nothing useful.
Screenshot007.png

On to Act II!

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SP? D2R? Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Post #    Location               Score

--- ---- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------    --------               -----

No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     85      3        Guardian               45

No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     52     22        Lut Gholein NM         18

Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     28     16        Kurast Docks            6

Yes Yes  skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     23     74        Far Oasis               3

Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2          3

No  Yes  ranagrande        Arek                 Pal     20     70        Lut Gholein             3

?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                       ?

?   ?    Grisu             ?                    Ama     ?      23        ?                       ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Departed                                                                 Died against/in

No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     42     39        Forgotten Tower NM     15

No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     21     14        Duriel                  3

Reactions: Grisu and Vang
Well, this is going to be a larger update – Aegea, the Impale/LF-Zon made Destroyer.
Screenshot112.jpg

As usual I play her single pass, full clears. With my skill tree being passive skills and my only action skills being Impale, LF, Immolation Arrow and Magic Arrow I was presented few, but hard choices:

• LF is probably a safe bet even without any synergies, might lack some fire power in Hell without specialized equipment (hard to come by in single pass full clear).
  • Immolation Arrow will probably be too weak without any synergies, but will make early game play faster
  • Magic Arrow is … well, magic Arrow
  • Impale…hmm…didn’t they add slows target to it and increase the damage in a recent patch?
So I decided to try Impale for boss fights/single monsters and LF for mobs and Valkyrie as a backup. That meant my merc had a lot of killing to do until around level 33, when LF and some points in Pierce started to reach potential. But I am used to that…back in the day I followed jiansonz’s advice and let the merc to EVERY killing blow to increase MF, but well, then I wouldn’t need any skills at all, would I? So I try to take a intermediate route and let him do the killing blow if it is convenient but else I don’t fret too much if I do the killing.

The usual single pass procedure started: Hire a Fire Rogue at level 8 (higher damage, higher reach than Cold Rogue), equip her and myself with a 3 x chipped emerald Long Bow and watch everything die. Put Topazes in Helms and Scale Mails, enjoy the higher MF.

Luckily, stair traps in Normal Act I aren't lethal yet...
Screenshot034.jpgScreenshot036.jpg

Some early gambling (yeah, I thought "leather boots" meant "boots"...) gave me something shiny, too :)
Screenshot037.jpg

And did you know that what worked in Diablo 1 with the Butcher also works in Diablo 2? Closed cell doors can be a life safer (the pack was extra strong).
Screenshot042.jpg

And wow did Impale make the fight against Andariel easy...no problem at all, but no relevant loot either:
Screenshot047.jpg

Act 2 greeted me warmly (I usually go after the Horadric Cube first before I do the sewers to cube some savage Polearms):
Screenshot048.jpg

and mocked me with unusuable shields:
Unbenannt.jpg
I upgraded my boots with these nice slippers
Boots.jpg

And what can I say? Even Duriel was tame, once he was impaled again and again:
Screenshot065.jpg

Found some useful unique items, too: Nokozan Relic (Great for the future fight against Diablo!) and Hawkmail (CBF could be useful for my merc in some situations) as well as a +9 Res All Jewel. Once I hit level 30, LF and Valkyrie were added to my list of skills as well as Pierce. The damage of LF wasn't too impressive in Act III, but Impale once again made its appearance against Mephisto:
Screenshot076.jpgScreenshot077.jpg

And afterwards against Izual. The only downside so far was, that I only had a Short Spear to use for a long time before I found a better weapon to use. But I mainly used Impale for the slow and LF for ... well, Lightning Blasts of course.

I decided to level Valkyrie to 8 (rare War Pike) so that she actually did noticeable damage while at the same time levelling LF and putting some points in Pierce.

Hellforge wasn't too spectacular
Screenshot081.jpg

but I did find a giant Donut!
Screenshot084.jpg
Against Diablo Impale was good, too. But even with 75% Fire and Lightning resist his lightning hose HURT...one close call, where a Full Rejuv saved me. I only noticed after Diablo that I am allowed to use Decoy as well...his loot was nothing to write home about though:
Screenshot085.jpg
This picture reminded me of one of the twelve days of Christmas tournament hosted by @maxicek - you had to take a screenshot of 8 Act 5 barbs in one picture. I only managed 4, but by accident - makes me proud :)

Screenshot088.jpg
(btw, I also managed to catch 4 Health potions being thrown around by Pindleskin in one screenshot:
Screenshot096.jpg

What made me happy on the other hand was this nice little rock and the result:
Screenshot089.jpgScreenshot090.jpg

What else is there to say? Nothing too spectacular: Ancients were quite easy with a level 8 Valkyrie and Impale, the WSK was no problem thanks to LF and I used a late XP shrine for the last two boss waves in the throne room. Oh and if you didn't know: LF really owns all waves in Normal. The most dangerous were the stacked Hydras from wave 3, but nothing else even managed to threaten me or my merc.

Against Baal Impale shone once again (although I managed to break my rare Maiden Pike I found in late Act 5 and had to switch to my Short Spear). He only targeted me and never moved, never cloned and only once called tentacles. Without CB it took some time, but not one town trip was needed
Screenshot109.jpgScreenshot110.jpg

I then went to the Moo Moo Farm and made the fastest burger you can imagine thanks to LF. No really noticeable finds though.

Skills look like this at the start of NM:
Valkyrie 8
Pierce 4
all passives 1
Impale 11
Lightning Fury 17

Itemwise I am still in MF mode:
Artisan's Great Helm of Nova Shield with 2 PTopazes (need to get that 3rd...)
3 os Breat Plate with 3 flawed topazes
Rare Sharkskin Belt (+38 Life, 28% LRes)
Magical Boots (see above: 33% MF, 39% LRes)
Magical Leather Gloves (24% MF)
2x Magical Ring (each 15% MF)
Magical Amulet (22% MF, 12% FRes)

Rhyme Bone Shield
Rare Short Spear (+1 Ama Skills, 24% ED, +8 MinDmg, 5% ML, 7% PRes)
Rare Maiden Pike on switch (+1 Javelin&Spear, 76% ED, +106 AR - yeah, really. No other mods...)

I have some nice options in charms, jewels, utility weapons (prevent monster heal Throwing Spear, another Throwing Spear with 1-167 lightning damage for single PI monsters), The Battlebranch, which could be nice once I am able to upgrade it, and a bunch of runes
Runes NM Start.jpg

Aegea, the Impale/LF Amazon, level 49, with Vikhyat, the BA Town Guard and a level 8 Valkyrie, NM Blood Moor next

Code:
SP? D2R? Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Post #    Location               Score
--- ---- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------    --------               -----
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     85      3        Guardian               45
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     52     22        Lut Gholein NM         18
Yes Yes  Grisu             Aegea                Ama     49     23        NM Rogue Camp          18
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     28     16        Kurast Docks            6
Yes Yes  skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     23     74        Far Oasis               3
Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2          3
No  Yes  ranagrande        Arek                 Pal     20     70        Lut Gholein             3
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                       ?

Departed                                                                 Died against/in
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     42     39        Forgotten Tower NM     15
No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     21     14        Duriel                  3

Reactions: maxicek and Vang
Spirit Wolves to the max! That was my order of operations and I followed it quite well. They were able to tank all the bosses with ease while I smacked them around with my claws!

My first useable set/unique (Upgraded it and am still using it)

Screenshot028.png

Duriel is no match for my Spirits Wolves!

Screenshot029.png

A Nagel 19%

Screenshot030.png

Sometimes these drop!

Screenshot031.png

Diablo falls!

Screenshot032.png

I did a blunder. I forgot that once an item is a certain level it has more max sockets, at 53 I finally found a Partizan in normal, went to socket it and 5 sockets!!! Eek...Guess an Honor for now :cautious:

Code:
Yes Yes  Grisu             Aegea                Ama     49     23        NM Rogue Camp          18
No  Yes  Vang              ShiftingFool         Dru     53     80        Dark Wood NM           15

Reactions: Grisu
For the random character rolls I just noticed that classes with a weapon type item as a class-specific item do get the same amount of weapons (3) as characters with an armor type class-specific item although those get an extra class-specific armor type (except for Paladin - he is the only one who only gets 2 items).

Is this intentional?

Character# of non-class weapons rolled# of class weapons rolled# of class armor rolledtotal # of items
Amazon2103
Assassin1203
Barbarian3014
Druid3014
Necromancer3014
Paladin2013
Sorceress2103

EDIT: Is it just me or are the forums extremely slow at the moment?

For the random character rolls I just noticed that classes with a weapon type item as a class-specific item do get the same amount of weapons (3) as characters with an armor type class-specific item although those get an extra class-specific armor type (except for Paladin - he is the only one who only gets 2 items).

Is this intentional?

Character# of non-class weapons rolled# of class weapons rolled# of class armor rolledtotal # of items
Amazon2103
Assassin1203
Barbarian3014
Druid3014
Necromancer3014
Paladin2013
Sorceress2103

EDIT: Is it just me or are the forums extremely slow at the moment?

No it wasn't, but with the extra weapons I think the Paladin is okay for majority of plays.

If I had to do a redo, I would remove staves from the 2 handed weapon pull an add a "caster" type (scepter/wands/staves as the random) .

My goal was to update the random items at an interval (2 months?) and reroll the items to keep it "fresh" Maybe 1-month intervals? With the option to switch up if you are in the middle of a run.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High