Problem creating runewords...?

Crudesash

Feb 19, 2021
So I'm coming up against a peculiar problem trying to make an Insight polearm.

I have an Amazon, Act 2 NM, level 48. My merc has a 4-socket partizan. I placed the runes in correctly, Ral-Tir-Tal-Sol...and it is just a gemmed partizan. I know the RWM is working, as my Amazon has an "Edge" Cedar Bow equipped, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Anyone have an idea as to what might have happened? I appreciate any feedback.

The fact that your Amazon has an Edge doesn't mean the RWM is working. Any enabled runeword keeps its stats when the character is loaded whether or not it is classified as "Ladder only" at the time.

This is something people actually use. RWM slows down the loading so people turn it off but their Infinities etc. keep working.

So I would check whether you still have RWM installed, whether you have "-direct -txt" on your link to D2 and whether it is told to start in the RWM folder.

If you make a RW in a RWM game, the RW will still work in Vanilla. I suspect your RWM is not working.

Edit: Beaten by Art as I forgot to press the button....

Reactions: Crudesash
Thanks; I do have the -direct -txt set up, and the shortcut path goes to the rune word folder. I’m using the glide wrapper so I also have the -3dfx in there, and I thought that could be the problem, but I created the Edge bow with these settings, which is the puzzling part. I’ll review everything and double check.

Thats odd, because i also use glide wrapper and am pretty sure i make an insight every other playthrough.. :unsure:

Ill double check my settings tonight

Reactions: Luhkoh
Oh it gets weirder...this is only an issue on my laptop; on my pc, I can make the runewords without issue.

Sure; Target is:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe” -direct -txt -3dfx

Start In:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Runewords”

When I remove the -3dfx, I can enable the RwM.

EDIT: can't seem to reproduce the bug on my end...

My next guess would be permissions - as that's one of the first things I think of for anything under C:\Program Files -
but I can't trouble you to test for me. :p

Last edited:
EDIT: can't seem to reproduce the bug on my end...

My next guess would be permissions - as that's one of the first things I think of for anything under C:\Program Files -
but I can't trouble you to test for me. :p
It really is quite odd; on my desktop, which has the exact same shortcut settings, I was able to create a ladder runeword with the -3dfx in the target line. Then, I made an insight just to make sure it wasn't some weirdness with that specific runeword.

At this point, it isn't a huge issue because I can remove the command and make the rw, then add the command back; I don't even need the wrapper at all save that my laptop screen is too dark without it. All of this becomes moot when D2R launches though :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High