Patriarch OldKingFocus, Immortal King’s Concentration Barb (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Patriarch OldKingFocus, Immortal King’s Concentration Barb

Level: 86

St – 187 (232)
Dx – 20 (60)
Vt – 308 (308)
En – 10 (10)

HP 1720 (3665 after BO)
Mana 125 (291 after BO)

Damage

Concentrate: 3180 – 5624 @ AR 11448 (3702 – 6440 @ AR 12679 with fully loaded)
Leap Attack: 3110 – 5155 & 50 – 118 @ AR 10449 (3690 – 6422 & 68 – 136 @ AR 11847 when fully loaded)

Defence: 9944 (18,758 during Concentration)

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Concentrate: 20/29
Bash: 20/29
Mace Mastery: 20/27
Battle Orders: 20/27
Shout: 6/13

Leap, Leap Attack & Stun: 1/10
Howl, Taunt, Battle Cry & Battle Command: 1/8
Increased Stamina, Increase Speed, Iron Skin & Natural Resistances: 1/8

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Immortal King’s Stone Crusher (Shael, Shael)

Weapon 2:

Heart Carver x 2

Immortal King’s Will (pdiamond x 2)
Immortal King’s Soul Cage (pdiamond)
Immortal King’s Forge
Immortal King’s Pillar
Immortal King’s Detail
Highlord’s Wrath
BKWB & Raven Frost

Merc (Act 2 – Might)

Eth Vampire Gaze
Eth Shaftstop
Eth The Reaper’s Toll (Shael)

Random musings:

I have only three words to describe this build: Safe but Boring! I had no deaths and only one or two close calls (and those were when BO ran out). As usual, I ran /players8 until the start of Hell difficulty when I dropped it down to /players5. Somewhere toward the end of Act 2, I dropped it further to /players3, because I was in danger of falling asleep. Finally, toward the end of Act 4, I dropped it to /players1 because I was impatient to try a Throw/Grim Ward barb.

I started off putting all my skill points into Mace Mastery until it was maxed and that worked out really well. I just bonked everything on the head with standard attacks and they died very satisfactorily. As soon as I was able, I equipped Bonesnap and progressed to Steeldriver, Upped Steeldriver and Windhammer, before finally equipping the Stone Crusher. After maxing the mastery, I worked on Concentration and Bash (with a point each in Leap and Leap Attack mostly for a movement skill). I rounded him out by picking up Battle Order and a couple of the one-point wonder Warcries before dumping the rest into Shout.

The gameplay for the majority of the time was to Leap Attack into a pack and whale into them with Concentrate knowing that my defence was such that I wouldn’t receive many hits. A quick side note here. I was really looking forward to trying Leap Attack. As you can see above, with only one hard point in it and its synergy it was doing almost as much damage as the fully synergised Concentrate was. After the changes to Leap Attack, I was looking forward to making a Leaper but I just couldn’t get the timing right. The target either moved away during the leap and I missed or I’d take a fresh-air swing 45 degrees or so off target. Enough whinging, back to our regularly scheduled program. If the pack I leapt into was a bit rich for my blood I would either Howl to thin them out or just leap away. I could Taunt the monsters back at my leisure. To preserve my defence, I used walk instead of run but, as usual, that has the effect of having the merc amble along somewhere far behind me. When that happened, I used Battle Cry to soften them up until he arrived and proced the Decrepify. I had the Heart Carvers on switch so I could see how the Grim Ward would work in actual gameplay, but I forgot to use it!

I tossed up whether to go for a BA or Might merc and the Might merc won, but I put diamonds into the available sockets to put up my AR to compensate. Even with the IAS on the weapon, set bonus and Highlord’s, the attack speed was a little lacklustre, especially when he was decrepified. Even if I put Fervour jewels into the three remaining sockets, I couldn’t reach the final breakpoint, so I had to live with it. I just slowly bonked a monster on the head until it died and then did the same to the next monster, and the next monster, and the next monster … *Snore*

Screenshot212.png

Last edited:
Well this is one build that doesn't seem to have changed. I think that my second pat was a Concentrate Barb. That was over 20 years ago and I can still remember my one word summary, BORING!

Reactions: TheNix
Do you know how 2h conc compares to 1h shield berserk in terms of dmg and survivability?
This has been the only time I've played Conc Barb and I never played a Berserk one, so I cannot really comment. I think the survivability would be better with conc but berserk probably does more damage.

Reactions: PandadudeSP
What was the main idea behind the char? Use IK or use concentrate?

I think all the CB and flat dmg on IK maul is better suited for a 5 fpa WW. On the other hand, not really sure what is a better choice for conc. Obviously grief PB for the faster frames, Oath in a 2h sword for faster frames, or maybe Grandfather for the style points with enough offweapon ias.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High