Patriarch Aridestus - Doom/Lacerator Frenzy Barb

TopHatCat64

Jul 8, 2004
Stats

Code:
Lvl 82

Frenzy Damage (Doom): 3338-7459 (w/ Might)
Frenzy Damage (Lacerator): 1655-2639 (w/ Might)

Life: 3581 (w/ BO)
Resists: 75 F, 31 C, 80 L, 31 P
Str: 110 | Dex: 82 | Vit: 303

Skills

20 Frenzy
20 Double Swing
20 Taunt
20 Battle Orders
6 Axe Mastery
1 Battle Command

Gear

Code:
Arreat's Face 'rare demon/undead damage jewel'
Highlord's Wrath
eth 'Doom' Berserker Axe
'Fortitude' Archon Plate
Lacerator
Laying of Hands
String of Ears
Gore Rider
Corruption Whorl rare ring*
Raven Frost
Switch: Beta CTA / eth 'Spirit' Monarch

Merc: eth 'Infinity' CA / 'Fortitude' Archon Plate / Crown of Thieves 'ias jewel'

Charms (combined stats): 169 life, 75 min damage, 13 max damage, 14% frw, 8 str, 5% fhr

Corruption Whorl
Ring
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0x147b1f7
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+5 to Minimum Damage
+115 to Attack Rating
5% Mana stolen per hit
8% Life stolen per hit
+43 to Mana
Lightning Resist +20%

The Planning Stage

Next up in my informal series of "How Can I Get That Amp Damage Weapon to Work?" is Lacerator. Lacerator (as everyone knows at this point) combines a huge 33% chance to cast Amp on striking with an even larger 50% chance to cast an overwriting Terror. Having nearly torn my hair out playing various Passion-wielding characters, finding a way to deal with HCMTF is always a challenge.

How can you enjoy Lacerator's pros while minimizing it's cons? Doom is one possible solution. My hope was that Doom's combination of Holy Freeze + Freeze Target would slow down/immobilize fleeing monsters enough that I could quickly kill them without too much hassle.

Aridestus is named after a genus of the spider wasp - a type of wasp that paralyzes spiders with its sting before laying its eggs on it.

Leveling and Observations

I toyed a bit with using Death instead of Doom, but Death's glacial spike proc was less reliable at slowing/freezing. The GS sometimes misses and it doesn't always pop off, whereas Doom's Freeze Target is always working every time you hit.

In practice, the pairing of Doom and Lacerator worked just as I hoped. The amount of fleeing monsters was reduced by Freeze Target and the ones that did flee ran away at slower pace then in my past experiences with monster flee weapons. On top of that, Frenzy's boost to run speed meant that I could easily outpace any flee-ers or I could quickly pull them back to melee range with a timely Taunt.

The amp proc went off very reliably, and I think the game wanted to test me because I faced just about every type of physical immune in my playthrough. When I watched the health bars of PI's I was attacking, you could tell when Amp procced, because it took huge chunks off their life. It took a bit of patience since Amp alternated pretty frequently with Terror, but it definitely got the job done. The toughest monster I encountered was a Stone Skin frenzytaur unique that was already naturally immune to physical. That took some Howling to separate him from the rest of his minions before I slowly ground him down when Amp popped off.

Last edited:
Very great series on trying to get Amp procs reliably - I am enjoying these characters and the thought behind them quite a bit - definitely giving me some more ideas to chew on. Another drawback to the glacial spike from Death is that in hell the freeze time is pretty short so the area of effect freezing it offers isn't very beneficial without a higher chance to cast rate, thus making Holy Freeze / Hit Freezes Target from Doom even more of a better choice.

Nice character, and nice use of items/runewords. Cool to see interesting combinations of items with skills for particular builds that make them shine. Please keep it up!

Another very stylish pat. Congrats !!

@T72on1 Thanks!

Very great series on trying to get Amp procs reliably - I am enjoying these characters and the thought behind them quite a bit - definitely giving me some more ideas to chew on. Another drawback to the glacial spike from Death is that in hell the freeze time is pretty short so the area of effect freezing it offers isn't very beneficial without a higher chance to cast rate, thus making Holy Freeze / Hit Freezes Target from Doom even more of a better choice.

@jonnyphive Yea, if glacial spike's freeze time was just a little longer, it really would have made my decision harder. But, as you said, Holy Freeze is always on and always slowing and Freeze Target is consistently keeping monsters frozen.

Nice character, and nice use of items/runewords. Cool to see interesting combinations of items with skills for particular builds that make them shine. Please keep it up!

@PhineasB Thanks for the words of encouragement. Always something more to explore and experiment with in the land of Sanctuary!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High