OT probably: blinking pixels while gaming on new laptop?

Jan 3, 2007
This is probably a issue of my laptop and not of D2R itself - but I am no tech/gaming expert, this is where you come in.

When I play D2R and especially when I use the Blizzard spell, there are tiny blinking pixels on my laptop in different spots. But they seem to be the same pixels overall (like 20 or so in total? It is difficult to count them all, because they are not constantly there).

This is on my new laptop (Lenovo Legion 5 Pro) with this specs (it's from the German website, but you'll get the gist):
Code:
Prozessor    AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H Mobil-Prozessor
Taktfrequenz    3.3 / 4.2 GHz
Cache    3 MB
Anzahl Prozessorkerne / Threads    6 / 12
Chipsatz    AMD SoC Platform

Display
Bildschirmgröße    40,64 cm (16 Zoll)
HD-Typ    Quad-HD
Panel-Typ    IPS
Display-Auflösung    2560 x 1600 Pixel
Bildschirmtyp    IPS HDR Quad-HD-Display

Speicher / Laufwerke
Arbeitsspeicher (RAM)    16 GB DDR4
Festplattentyp    SSD
SSD-Kapazität    1000 GB
Festplattenkapazität gesamt    1000 GB

Grafikkarte
Grafikkarte    Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3060 - 6GB GDDR6

The blinking pixels don't appear in screenshots, so I made a video and uploaded it on youtube.

Is this a display/pixel defect? Should I contact the vendor and request an new laptop?

Or is the graphic load too much for my GPU and are those pixels from overheating somehow (GPU goes up to 72°C/161°F).? Should I lower the graphic settings (they appear on Medium to Very High though, didn't try low).

There is an article on the internet saying that LCD monitors are allowed to have some pixel defects and that it is not considered a flaw?

Thanks in advance for any tip/suggestion!

EDIT: Used the dead pixel tester and they seem to be indeed defective pixels - but they are not defective all the time, but more often while gaming then when doing other stuff - they even are not always visible in the dead pixel texter, but then some time later they are, then they are gone again.

Last edited:
This seems like stuck pixles, dead ones usually don't change like that but i dont know for sure. There's programs that are supposed to help "unstick" them but i have no experience with it. Could try that!

Also im guessing your video drivers are up to date?

Try some other games, if its the pixels it should show up elsewhere.

Last edited:
It shows up in other apps, too, but less often. Also, I was able to screenshot some of those blinking pixels. Doesn't that indicate it is the GPU and not a display error? (If I upload the picture via the forum, its resolution gets scaled down and you won't see the pixel error):

If its in the same spot every time its the pixels. Display artifacts would be random.

Edit: Yea thought about it more, its early so im thinking slow. If you cant see the dead spots on any screenshots its the pixles, if it shows up on a screen capture its a display error. Dead pixels wont show up on a screen capture obviously because its the screen thats bad, not the image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grisu
Thanks, @Dudzy! After reinstalling, diagnostics, talking to support etc. their solution is: Send it back to the shop and request a new one 🤷‍♂️ The diagnosis tool said that the RAM of the AMD Radeon (onboard) graphics was defective and that it is probably because of a motherboard defect...

Strange thing is, that it didn't appear when I used an external monitor. Maybe it has something to do with the higher resolution from the laptop display and thus more stress to the graphic card? Maybe it tries to use the onboard graphics in addition to the external GPU if things get too wild and then the defecitve onboard GPU causes problems?

Well, seems like I will be 2 weeks without a laptop...so probably no MFO for me. I was about to level my Blizzy in D2R to Hell in order to compete...maybe I'll do that on the old laptop?

Reactions: Dudzy
That sucks, but at least they figured it out and you will get a new one. Too bad they can't send you one once the old one is shipped.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High