OT: Classic WoW returning

Zylo

Apr 8, 2006
Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard - classic WoW is coming back August 26/27th 2019. I'm hoping to relive some of my highschool/college day experiences, and pick it back up.

I played up until Cataclysm(they lost me with Kung Fu Panda), and haven't touched it since. Since I've been out of the game for a while, I've been binge watching videos and guides on everything classic related. Wasn't sure if anyone was doing the same, and if so, thought it would be fun to talk/discuss ideas. I know the people in the community live far and wide, so playing on the same server probably isn't an option for many. That said, I'm in the mountain time zone, and will most likely look for some west coast server.(Central if there is one, but I'm not sure on that.)

I won't delve too deep into what I'm planning yet, in case there isn't any interest on the subject. The short: I think I'll main a Priest with Warlock secondary. A Druid or Warrior third, much later, after I hit 60, and can feed them gear and what not. Most likely Alliance, but we will see. PVE/Raiding doesn't really fit into my life/time schedule, so going to be much more casual and PVP focused.

Yeah, so if you have plans of returning(or even if you don't, but played back in the day), and have something to share, I'd love to hear about it.

I practiced for some 3-4 months speedrunning Horde Hunter to try for server first and then they announced the August 27th release date. Because of circumstances we know the exact date/time we will go to the hospital to induce labor for our second child— August 28th at 5 am.
My luck with game launches in a nut shell lmao.

E: my best time 1-20 after practicing with a full time job and a kid waiting for me when I get home ;)

this was done on a light’s hope repack which is basically a server ran locally with the light’s hope private server core and played solo. It’s great for practicing routes and comparing times, this is maybe 3rd fastest Troll Hunter I’ve heard of 1-20)

jQeVEz9.jpg

Last edited:
I blindly went to the store at 8am to buy the new blizzard title 'World of Warcraft' the day it was launched in the US, in spite of never having played an MMO. I trusted blizzard at the time as I had loved every game they had made. So I went home immediately and waited patiently as the game installed from 4 discs.

Then I logged in as a night elf druid into a world that had just been born. The Teldrassil music inspired immediate awe and the sheer number of night elves /dancing quickly taught me about the emote system. I stayed home from university that day and it remains one of the most vivid memories of my life!

I have played vanilla servers over the past few years and learned the game inside and out. I can't remember the last time I looked forward to the release of a game so much!

Needless to say, I will be taking 3 weeks off from work to no-life classic wow from release day.

Hi guys!

Talking about an huge milestone in gaming definition... and revival is real!

On my side, I - NEVER - accepted the possibility to lose my life in - I know who I am when talking about video gaming. Therefore I never bought/tried this game ever, because if I fall in... I may hardly log off.

Out topic in some way, but...had to share ;) will follow your adventures here if you do so!

I practiced for some 3-4 months speedrunning Horde Hunter to try for sever first and then they announced the August 27th release date. Because of circumstances we know the exact date/time we will go to the hospital to induce labor for our second child— August 28th at 5 am.
My luck with game launches in a nut shell lmao.

E: my best time 1-20 after practicing with a full time job and a kid waiting for me when I get home ;)

this was done on a light’s hope repack which is basically a server ran locally with the light’s hope private server core and played solo. It’s great for practicing routes and comparing times, this is maybe 3rd fastest Troll Hunter I’ve heard of 1-20)

jQeVEz9.jpg
@Yng - Congratulations! Bad timing, but very exciting none the less.

That's a very impressive 1-20 time. I was tempted to play private servers and pick up some tricks, but ultimately decided to wait for the real thing. I'm going to be much more casual, so I'm sure I'll be weeks behind server first. Do you think you'll play after things have settled, or was server first all or nothing?

I blindly went to the store at 8am to buy the new blizzard title 'World of Warcraft' the day it was launched in the US, in spite of never having played an MMO. I trusted blizzard at the time as I had loved every game they had made. So I went home immediately and waited patiently as the game installed from 4 discs.

Then I logged in as a night elf druid into a world that had just been born. The Teldrassil music inspired immediate awe and the sheer number of night elves /dancing quickly taught me about the emote system. I stayed home from university that day and it remains one of the most vivid memories of my life!

I have played vanilla servers over the past few years and learned the game inside and out. I can't remember the last time I looked forward to the release of a game so much!

Needless to say, I will be taking 3 weeks off from work to no-life classic wow from release day.

@ziambe - WoW came out my freshman year of highschool, and a lot of my friends were quick to pick it up and tell me how great it was. I however wasn't sold on it. A game you had to purchase, and then pay an additional fee every month? Didn't sound worth it to me, I was still content with D2/Bnet. The tail end of highschool I buckled, and picked it up. I was hooked after that point. I leveled a Paladin and a Hunter up simultaneously, trying to take advantage of rest experience as often as possible. My paladin was level 55 or so when the Burning Crusade dropped, and I was disappointed I never got to experience level 60 raiding/pvp(Another reason I think I'm so excited for classic to return). I'd agree too, I haven't looked forward to a video game this much in years(possibly ever).

Going the druid route again, or what's your plan going in?

Hi guys!

Talking about an huge milestone in gaming definition... and revival is real!

On my side, I - NEVER - accepted the possibility to lose my life in - I know who I am when talking about video gaming. Therefore I never bought/tried this game ever, because if I fall in... I may hardly log off.

Out topic in some way, but...had to share ;) will follow your adventures here if you do so!

@Babyhell - You know yourself better then anyone, so probably a good thing to avoid if you'd be tempted. In the Burning Crusade, I had multiple level 70's and I'd raid every day of the week. It was a total time sink, and my college memories reflect that. :(

I never got into PVP that much, always more PVE/Raiding focused. My hope is that I can be a casual PVP'er, and not touch raiding. 4 hours a night, a few times a week isn't really feasible in my life right now.

@Zylo everytime I’ve tried to play WoW I’ve started behind and not being able to get a head start this time right at launch killed it for me I think. Also it’ll be really hard to catch up because those first few months are really demanding. Thanks, it’s just a video game after all and I’m very excited to meet my second son. GL with your characters!

Just chiming in to say that I have never played WoW for even a second, but I know I would love it. I doubt I’ll have any time to play, but I might as well contemplate the idea of it with such a good time to try it out. Any experts wanna recommend a way to learn classic?

@sir_cyclops if you haven’t played at all and want to learn before launch I’d recommend starting on a private server (light’s hope or elysium). Playing in a sandbox won’t really help you if you don’t know the game already. From there just looking into guides for the class you want and taking time to learn the world (it’s quite big).

Just chiming in to say that I have never played WoW for even a second, but I know I would love it. I doubt I’ll have any time to play, but I might as well contemplate the idea of it with such a good time to try it out. Any experts wanna recommend a way to learn classic?

Private servers are definitely an option, but I don't think private servers will last after classic is released, as people will be leaving in droves to play on actual servers. This would mean all your time/effort would be lost, maybe not wasted as you'll learn a good bit. On the other hand WoW information is so much more readily available these days, especially compared to 2004-2007. A quick youtube search will have hundreds of guides on just about everything(Leveling, gold making, professions, raiding, pvp, you name it). I think if you watched/read up on some guides, figured out what you wanted to do in WoW - would result in a pretty significant boost to playing.

@Zylo everytime I’ve tried to play WoW I’ve started behind and not being able to get a head start this time right at launch killed it for me I think. Also it’ll be really hard to catch up because those first few months are really demanding. Thanks, it’s just a video game after all and I’m very excited to meet my second son. GL with your characters!

You'll have the knowledge of knowing what raid is coming next though. So you could start preparing gear and stuff for what's to come, instead of playing catch up for what's currently out. Picking a more desirable class could also help with getting into a good guild, and raiding if that's your goal.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High