Next Ladder

zarniwoop

Jan 10, 2006
Next Ladder

Ladders are on 6 month repeating resets now, correct?

So, since the last reset was Sept 28, 2010, the next one will be very late march or early April?

I just don't want to get started in the ladder if it will end just as I get really set up. I can't play hardcore like I used to with my new (year old now) job. If this is correct, I'll just wait until early April, even though I'm really "jonesing" to play lately.

Re: Next Ladder

Hmm. Battle.net still says, "How long will the ladder season last?
This has yet to be determined. "

Single Player FTW?

I hear ya Zarni - I'd like to know too but I don't think anyone knows.
Welcome (again) to B-Net ;)

How am I gonna get those 20 levels to lvl90 omg when ladder (not Gorny's one) is supposed to reset in April (which I believe it will)? Should I lower myself to rushing or what? :D

If it's annoying to reach L90, what are you actually doing with your character? Most of my characters reach L90 with ease and "en passant". I'm usually not leveling them, except by the end of nightmare - and only in some cases.

Gorny's ladder doesn't have 90 rungs anyway and I guess he's currently too busy with things like keeping the furnace running, shoveling snow and fighting polar bears.

If it's annoying to reach L90, what are you actually doing with your character? Most of my characters reach L90 with ease and "en passant". I'm usually not leveling them, except by the end of nightmare - and only in some cases.

Gorny's ladder doesn't have 90 rungs anyway and I guess he's currently too busy with things like keeping the furnace running, shoveling snow and fighting polar bears.

Maybe he musing about his Classic toon(s)? Seen him post some questions on classic forum ^^

Hmm. Battle.net still says, "How long will the ladder season last?
This has yet to be determined. "

Single Player FTW?

I love trading far too much to ever go to single player. I know there is single player trading, but it just feels too obscure to mail files and so forth. Also, I love the ladder only items.

Can I ask why you are a die-hard single player proponent? I've seen you mention that before, and I know you're eloquent enough to really explain what I'm missing.

I switched to Single Player after the first season of 1.10. I didn't like Blizzard stepping in and making my characters (in my mind) less attractive to play by moving them to non-Ladder. I came to realize how little I missed the bots, lag, realm down, disconnections, etc. But, rather than focus on the shortcomings of battle.net, I'll mention the positives of SP:

- static maps for magic finding. I can't stress enough how wonderful this is for a dedicated MF'er.
- the /players X command. This makes both levelling and magic finding much more effective.
- ability to make game after game without having to wait to avaoid a temp ban. If I want to do a thousand 20 second Pindle runs one after the other, I can.
- ATMA / GoMule for muling. I have thousands of items, and I'm sure I would never have accumulated them all if I had to go through the painful online muling routine.
- With the runeword mod, all online content except for the ubers and DC are available, including all ladder-only uniques, of course. I've fought DC back in my b.net days, and don't have the need to fight him again. It would be fun to try my hand at uber Tris, but I can live without it. I consider the torch and annihilus to be overpowered and unnecessary, anyway.
- The multiplay sessions I've had through the SPF have all been wonderful. I especially love Baal runs - everybody contributing instead of just standing around, people taking turns with the loot and handing items out to those most in need, people supporting each other. It's harder to find a game, but the quality of the games is paramount.

I know people's tastes differ - personally, I simply find SP to be a better playing experience. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, no no no my friend...I'm sitting in my basement planning world AD@D domination!

I switched to Single Player after the first season of 1.10. I didn't like Blizzard stepping in and making my characters (in my mind) less attractive to play by moving them to non-Ladder. I came to realize how little I missed the bots, lag, realm down, disconnections, etc. But, rather than focus on the shortcomings of battle.net, I'll mention the positives of SP:

- static maps for magic finding. I can't stress enough how wonderful this is for a dedicated MF'er.
- the /players X command. This makes both levelling and magic finding much more effective.
- ability to make game after game without having to wait to avaoid a temp ban. If I want to do a thousand 20 second Pindle runs one after the other, I can.
- ATMA / GoMule for muling. I have thousands of items, and I'm sure I would never have accumulated them all if I had to go through the painful online muling routine.
- With the runeword mod, all online content except for the ubers and DC are available, including all ladder-only uniques, of course. I've fought DC back in my b.net days, and don't have the need to fight him again. It would be fun to try my hand at uber Tris, but I can live without it. I consider the torch and annihilus to be overpowered and unnecessary, anyway.
- The multiplay sessions I've had through the SPF have all been wonderful. I especially love Baal runs - everybody contributing instead of just standing around, people taking turns with the loot and handing items out to those most in need, people supporting each other. It's harder to find a game, but the quality of the games is paramount.

I know people's tastes differ - personally, I simply find SP to be a better playing experience. Your mileage may vary.

Wait a minute. You can take your sp chars into games with others? I sincerely haven't even messed with single player outside of a hospital stay back in like 2001. How does that work? I've never even explored the menu choices outside of just typing in my info by rote memory for a decade.

Yeah, nurman nailed it - TCP/IP games, organized through the Multiplayer subforum of the SPF. The standard for Baal runs is for the host to get all incidental drops, and the Baal drops are on a rotation, so that the first person to join the group is first in line to get ALL the drops from Baal from the first kill. The second person to join the group gets all the drops from the second kill, etc. So much more civilized than everyone clicking frantically and trying to get the loot first. Got me an SoJ from Baal in a game hosted by Liquid Evil in this manner. Also gave away an HoZ to a pally who didn't have one. Very cooperative tone to the games.

I agree with Zarniwoop on trading which I probably like the most of the whole game and which keeps me on bnet though I play solo (sort of SP on bnet).
But there is some nice reasoning here in Noodlepost :scratchchin:

Isnt there possibility/risk to mess with the save files when they are locally stored? I mean like creating new/improving existent items and such? I vaguely remember that sort of stuff started to plague our tcpip games at some point back in prelod era...dialing connection on 56kb modems oh yeah :D

Isnt there possibility/risk to mess with the save files when they are locally stored? I mean like creating new/improving existent items and such? I vaguely remember that sort of stuff started to plague our tcpip games at some point back in prelod era...dialing connection on 56kb modems oh yeah :D

The potential is clearly there, which the SP Forum takes VERY seriously. People wishing to trade through the SP Trade Forum have to go through a probation period so people can get comfortable with them. Item ID's are published, there is a list of items likely to be duped and hence considered untradeable, and people are stringently watched if they trade or MP. The attitude is basically, "Do what you like on your own computer, but if you interact with another forum member through multiplay or trading and are found to be less than completely legitimate, you will be instantly banned." Thyiad does a fantastic job at policing this in a professional and reasonable manner, in my opinion, as do the other forum members. I've seen a long time forum member get banned for inadvertently showing they had made a Silence runeword in a bow with the item level 99. The runes used were all apparently legitimate, but since 1) Hell Baal is the only critter who can drop ilevel 99 items, and 2) Hell Baal only drops magic, rare, set, or unique items, the bow was judged to be impossible to get through legitimate means and the member was permanently banned. In other words, cheaters are likely to slip up at some point, and the threat of banning acts as a powerful deterrent. (So does pride!)

I freely admit it's not to everyone's taste, but I hate to see it written off without just consideration. I would have stopped playing the game years ago if I hadn't moved to SP.

If it has all uniques and runewords with certain download requirements, then I must try out sp for myself.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High