Low-medium cost Barb setup?

Oct 3, 2005
Low-medium cost Barb setup?

Im considering starting a Barb, but I wont invest in the usual ubergear like Botd, Grief etc etc.

Im thinking a standard WW build, for Chaos Sanctuary and GF at Travincal. I wont need to be able to clear 8player games solo, I mostly play alone or with 2-3friends.

Any suggestions for 'normal' cost gear?

Re: Low-medium cost Barb setup?

oath in an elite 2h sword. They infact do more damage when held with both hands - without a lot of damage charms or CB that is - and of course the looks

Upping certain uniques can work quite nicely too. Pierre Tombale Couant (+3 barb skills, 55%DS and 6%mana leech!) and Hone Sundan (3 sockets and 45%CB!) can do some decent damage when upped.
Like zrk said, Oath in an ethereal base will definitely get you through the chaos sanctuary. I used Oath in an eth Highland Blade against the council on p3 (even p7) for a long time.

For Whirlwind you'll definitely want a weapon that hit the final speed breakpoint, as well as high range for cutting a nice arc through enemies.

Low cost goodies:

Hone Sundan (eth+upped preferred) range 5

Arioc's Needle range 4

Bonehew range 3.

Oath might be too expensive, but does nicely in a 2h sword. A bad roll is a major dissapointment if you make your own. Range 3.

Razor's Edge Tomahawk. Only range 1, but nice damage.

IK Maul, Windhammer range 2.

Butcher's Pupil. Range 2.

Ribcracker Range 2.

Viperfork, Range 5.

Azurewrath, Frostwind, Cranebeak, Runemaster, Range 2.

Djinn Slayer, Cold Steel Eye, range 1.

You could always try your luck crafting weapons for some insane cruel/fool's mod.

Take a look at riks ww guide for some more guidance (and cool pictures).

For Whirlwind you'll definitely want a weapon that hit the final speed breakpoint, as well as high range for cutting a nice arc through enemies.

Low cost goodies:

Hone Sundan (eth+upped preferred) range 5

Arioc's Needle range 4

Bonehew range 3.

Oath might be too expensive, but does nicely in a 2h sword. A bad roll is a major dissapointment if you make your own. Range 3.

Razor's Edge Tomahawk. Only range 1, but nice damage.

IK Maul, Windhammer range 2.

Butcher's Pupil. Range 2.

Ribcracker Range 2.

Viperfork, Range 5.

Azurewrath, Frostwind, Cranebeak, Runemaster, Range 2.

Djinn Slayer, Cold Steel Eye, range 1.

You could always try your luck crafting weapons for some insane cruel/fool's mod.

Take a look at riks ww guide for some more guidance (and cool pictures).
even the lowest oath has the equivalent of 365% ED in a non eth weapon - and does more damage than all of the above in perfect weapons(a perfect ribcracker does 411 dmg though, perf eth hone(this one is freakin expensive) 434, oath bb 210% 402, so they do beat it)

even the lowest oath has the equivalent of 365% ED in a non eth weapon - and does more damage than all of the above in perfect weapons(a perfect ribcracker does 411 dmg though, perf eth hone(this one is freakin expensive) 434, oath bb 210% 402, so they do beat it)

Agreed, and it will cost much more to make or trade for than an average stat version of any of the others. OP wanted a low to medium cost weapon. Oath is viable if you have very lucky nightmare and hell forge drops, but I have gone this route myself at ladder season starts, making low %ed oaths and being very annoyed, as they have very limited resale value. Out of a dozen or so Oaths I have made over the years, I have only made one that was respectable. I had found a superior %ed 4 socket ettin axe, and it turned out lovely, so I matched it with a death for a frenzier.

Oaths it is then. And its gonna have to be swords, anything else just looks ghey ona barb.

What other equipment should one aim for?

for cheap you can probably find/make:
Arreat's Face/Guillaume's Face
Lionheart
Crafted Blood Gloves
SoE/Crafted Blood Belt/a belt with resistances
Goblin Toe/Gore Riders
Angelic ammy/mana leech with resists
Angelic ring/mana leech with resists (if you use the angelic combo you'll probably want your other ring to have mana leech)

off-weapon ias doesn't affect the whirl speed (only the weapon's speed affects it) so worry more about leech/resists/cb/ds/ed/etc... on the non-weapon equipment.

Small Crescents are easy to get and actually look quite bad-***, unlike the puny zerker :p

for cheap you can probably find/make:
Arreat's Face/Guillaume's Face
Lionheart
Crafted Blood Gloves
SoE/Crafted Blood Belt/a belt with resistances
Goblin Toe/Gore Riders
Angelic ammy/mana leech with resists
Angelic ring/mana leech with resists (if you use the angelic combo you'll probably want your other ring to have mana leech)

off-weapon ias doesn't affect the whirl speed (only the weapon's speed affects it) so worry more about leech/resists/cb/ds/ed/etc... on the non-weapon equipment.
angelics aside(these may be wise on cheap barb who lacks ar) for damage it is better to go-

guillaume
peace
angelics
laying
string
gores

peace is such a crappy option. where's your res going to come from?

last ladder on HC i got by with:
arreat
metalgrid
oath highland
lionheart
stormshield
3x ik pieces
raven
rare ring

i consider oath a medium cost investment, you only need a bit of luck. i'd put metal grid as being harder to acquire, but i got lucky and a friend gave it, stormshield, and arreat. it was a group effort.

peace? for the +2 crit? that's the only mod on there that'll help WW. The ctc's aren't that great (although lvl 15 valk is cool) and won't trigger unless you don't WW.

+1 to crawlingdeadman, ik boots/belt/gloves are good cheap options

Hahah, big underestimation of peace - that armor gives at least 38% extra crit. While you guys will be whirling around with your ik, lionheart, metalgrid and arreat, wondering why stuff dies so slow, my barb with peace, angelics, guillaume, laying and gores will have already moved to a far peripheral mob

res - laying(storm if hc), (helm socket ort if necessary) natural res, misc other minor sources, already means maxed out light and fire res, the important ones.

how much does that 25% (it's only 25% not 38% btw) actually add? i'd rather have a medium investment in a mastery and use a good armor than save some points and use crap. hell, i'd rather max mastery than use peace.

how much does that 25% (it's only 25% not 38% btw) actually add? i'd rather have a medium investment in a mastery and use a good armor than save some points and use crap. hell, i'd rather max mastery than use peace.
Yeah i like to max mastery too. 38 would be with +2 all skills(bc + ..? perhaps hl/bk though that wasnt specified but is not hard to get).

Even when using 20 point weapon mastery, Peace adds More damage than Fortitude, if not using highlord, if total ED exceeds 16.5 (assuming lvl 4 crit from peace) ((x+1)+3)*1.52=(x+1)*1.78 -> x=16.5

How would a Duress for armor do?

And what sword should I put the Oaths in?

Would a Demon Limb on switch be any good? Instead of using Angelics for AR?

Last edited:

You know that zon CS is treated as a separate form of crit on top of mastery CS and DS?

((x+1)+3)*1.52=(x+1)*1.78
?

@Krem: I've always preferred smoke/treachery for the res, but if you've got it covered then the bit of CB and higher defense on duress is nice. There's also gloom with 45 all res and a good defense bonus.

Colossus Sword is ideal but Balrog Blade is a little easier to get seeing as it gets a max of 4 sockets. I'd add another one and dual wield as soon as possible.

Regarding demon/angelics, you can do both. Your AR with WW tends to be low, so I'd stick with angelics until you can get a good raven and some AR charms.

Duress is awesome armor, only 2nd to Fortitude in offensive power (and in some applications it is better)

Demon Limb is great to keep in the stash. It lasts quite a long time so you don't have to carry it around. Angellics is not necessary if you are a high level and have attack rate from charms.

You know that zon CS is treated as a separate form of crit on top of mastery CS and DS?

?

@Krem: I've always preferred smoke/treachery for the res, but if you've got it covered then the bit of CB and higher defense on duress is nice. There's also gloom with 45 all res and a good defense bonus.

Colossus Sword is ideal but Balrog Blade is a little easier to get seeing as it gets a max of 4 sockets. I'd add another one and dual wield as soon as possible.

Regarding demon/angelics, you can do both. Your AR with WW tends to be low, so I'd stick with angelics until you can get a good raven and some AR charms.
Yes of course. The x in the equation represents the amount of ED at which the damage of both forty and peace is equal, the multipliers (1.78 and 1.52 are the effective double damage multipliers of the setups)

Duress is awesome armor, only 2nd to Fortitude in offensive power (and in some applications it is better)

Demon Limb is great to keep in the stash. It lasts quite a long time so you don't have to carry it around. Angellics is not necessary if you are a high level and have attack rate from charms.
In order for duress to be better, an unlikely combo of situations would have to exist - the non-cb damage would have to be very small, and the total ED would have to be very high. Quite unlikely indeed, except for perhaps kickers with high ed setup.

The situations where peace is better however, are fairly analogous to those that a budget barb(or other melee char) faces

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High