Looking for some help for an interesting pally build.

pharphis

Aug 1, 2011
I should probably start some of these ideas I've asked about, but here's another one!

Ranged paladin :)
Paladin wielding widowmaker for the guided arrow skills, with fanat aura for dmg/ias of course.
Weapon switch using Gimmershred and whichever shield gives the most elemental dmg, sport conviction, of course ;)

I was wondering how feasible this sounds to you folk, as well as what other equipment recommendations you would make. I assume something along the lines of a source for knockback, like giant skull or cleglaw's gloves (slow target sounds very nice), with guillame's/fortitude/highlord's. . .

What about other skill points? I figured 1 pt sanctuary, redemption, etc. Resists could be boosted by maxing the res fire/lite/cold auras. I considered BA for the passive AR bonus, but I don't think it's really necessary with guided arrow, or when throwing with conviction.

Named Legolas? :p

Of course this, of course that - you seem pretty sure what to do already :)

Blackhorns Face is also an interesting helmet with the slowing and PMH. It could work well along with the gloves to make the enemies crawl.

Blessed Aim seems superflous with the other skills you mention.

Does sanctuary work with ranged attacks?

To me it seems that the biggest issue will be to keep fast bad guys away. Will you rely on a mercenary for that or something else? Maybe some points in conversion can be worth it? I never play twinked so I'm not so knowledgeable about how various mercenaries hold out with extraordinary equipment. I think you will need to think about a backup plan for stairtraps and other close space situations where a ranged character can't take advantage of being...well, ranged.

And NOOooooo, pick another name! I mean, Legolas runs away while the rest of the party is buried in snow and tries to clear a path for the hobbits. "Let the human diggers dig but pick an elf for running, goodbye hahahahaaa" or whatever. That slithering deserter! Conduct unbecoming of a true paladin!

I wouldn't actually use that as a name just because I don't care much for LoR *ducks*

See! I didn't think of blackhorns :p

I suppose a holy freeze merc might be in order, too. hmm
I don't actually know if sanctuary works with ranged attacks, I sort of just assumed it did.

You obviously have 2 Jahs sitting around so go with a dream helm, and then dream shield on switch, it would be completely awesome.Ok, something more realistic, stack the slow gear. Clegs gloves, Blackhorns face, Nos coil. Be a medusa pally. On switch would be Titamats shield for extra elemental damage. Or go for the never used Medusa's Gaze which has ctc lower resist when being struck (I know I know, not useful for a ranged build, just sounded fun).

If only you could break cham into 2 jahs, I would definitely synergize that up!

You could also try to craft some Hit Power Gloves for Knockback and additional mods. Giant Skull sounds good, too (IAS jewels?). Against fast monsters you could also use Darksight Helm for CoS charges...it would also open up a ring slot (Darksight helm has CBF), but it's not the haxxor item there are out there :wink:

Is this for the MP group?

When I first found a near max widowmaker in a previous life this was the build I started looking at. Unfortunately, never got high enough level to use it before I lost interest (believe I was mid 50s). If you wanted to stay with the bow theme you could use a kuko on switch with holy fire aura. With okish equipment and fire charm selection it was fun solo, underwhelming in larger games. So, while I didn't ever get around to the widowmaker part of the build, even with holy fire explosive arrow splash damage flying around it wasn't exactly blitzing through the game, so I imagine guided arrow would be pretty slow.

Hmm. This may be worth using in the mp group, in which case huge slow and fanat sounds ideal. Would make the slower part (up until like 63 for the bow?) a bit more fun.

Kuko for leveling is a good idea. I have some small exp with rangers, using wizendraw and holy freeze, but that proved very weak when I reached hell.

If you can stand changing armour occasionally, a stored Treachery is very useful to prebuff some venom damage.

If you would consider crossbows as well, Buriza Do Kyanon could probably be very useful in some places due to the high piercing, such as the maggot lair where enemies line up in long straight rows. The freezing helps a bit with corpse control too.

Hwanins belt for PMH?

I think with a tanky HF/Might merc to hide behind it should be fairly easy, and then you can go for offensive options like G-face and LoH. With Widowmaker's relatively low base damage War Travs should do more for you than Gores. Otherwise a Rogue with Harmony or Riphook plus stacking some slowing items mentioned above could be fun.

You don't really need PMH if you use a poison damage SC, though if you pre-buff with Treachery (not a bad idea at all, just keep it on your merc) then all the poison damage you do gets reduced to Venom's 0.4 sec duration.

*You should also look take a look at your breakpoints without Fanat so you can make the most of auras like Sanctuary. If you Shael the weap, Fervor your helm and use LoH and Highlord's then you only lose 1 frame :)

If you want to make a paladin ranger, the holy fire ranger is probably the best. And even that isn't great though. Gimmershred is a good idea though ( with conviction aura ).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High