Looking for help with Sorceress

So right now I have 5 extra skill points. I'm torn between putting them into ice bolt for frozen orb damage or fire bolt for meteor and fire ball damage, or what about fire mastery? I already have frozen mastery at 17 -100%. Which one should I prioritize next?
Invest in fire tree, I think firebolt give more %ed to fireball than mastery (except first point in mastery).

If you don't have any points in mastery then invest 1 and rest in firebolt

Reactions: Zyr
I was just reading about another frozen orb and fire build using firewall for the main fire damage. I currently use fireball most of the time because meteor is too slow. Would firewall be better than fireball, if so should I respec? remember that I am playing on Xbox and using a controller as well. Not sure if that would make it harder to aim firewall like it is to aim meteor. That build was able to farm anything in hell and kill bosses really quickly.

Right now I am farming the Pit, AT, and Andy (although she refuses to drop anything good even after 100 runs, I also have found nothing from the pits or AT yet), and it takes a long time. I am really getting very discouraged and depressed and think my sorc sucks. I cannot even beat Duriel so I cannot get to act 3 unless I get someone to help me. I die really easily and it is getting really old. Is my build too weak, did I choose the wrong skills, or is the real problem my gear?

I am currently using:
Head: Crown with 3 perfect topaz for MF - Where would I best find a Shako?
Body: Skin of the Vipermagi
Right hand: Oculus
Left hand: Ancient's Pledge - I need this for the high resistances, right now resistances are only 59 each.
Hands: Magefist
Belt: Goldwrap
Boots: Natalya's Soul for cold and lit resist and 40% faster run
Rings: Two Nagelrings - I am really struggling finding anything better. Where would I find SOJs?
Amulet: Tal Rasha's Adjudication

I don't have any good charms - literally nothing good has dropped. Even though I'm on hell, only nightmare level runes have dropped as well.

Skills I put 95 in str and rest into vit. Should I have put more into Dex to get higher block rate? Would I use stormshield or something else? I am having a hell of a time finding a good shield. I'm really getting depressed about spending so much time and still being so weak. Now I am stuck at Duriel and cannot do much in my favorite game. Everything in life sucks.

Last edited:
Now I am stuck at Duriel
Did you chug thawing potions before going in? Multiples? Did you have your merc chug multiple thawing potions? Those will help, it gives cold res and the duration from each of the potions you drink will stack duration.

Do that, static, and blast him! You should be able to teleport around him casting occasionally and get him down on a sorc no matter what gear you're wearing.

Reactions: Zyr
Did you chug thawing potions before going in? Multiples? Did you have your merc chug multiple thawing potions? Those will help, it gives cold res and the duration from each of the potions you drink will stack duration.

Do that, static, and blast him! You should be able to teleport around him casting occasionally and get him down on a sorc no matter what gear you're wearing.
Thanks, I'll try that when I get back to him. I didn't know you could use potions to avoid him freezing you.

As far as farming, it is really wearing on me mentally doing the same thing over and over without getting any good results. I've currently done well over 200 nm meph runs, well over 100 Andy runs, and many times in the pit and AT. As seen in my gear, I've only gotten a few good sorc drops like the Oculus, Tal amulet, and Skin of Vipermagi. It seems like a good shield is impossible, SOJs and a Shako, also impossible. Better boots impossible. I'm really depressed doing the same thing because I can't find any gear to get me strong enough to eventually do meph in hell. I KNOW the undead stygian dolls will own me until I get better FCR and defense. How in the world do these you tube people get such good drops? What am I doing wrong?

Another huge problem with my farming is I cannot go fast or I'll die. I need to kill the minions around Andy before I can kill her or I'll die. Pit and AT take a long time too.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try that when I get back to him. I didn't know you could use potions to avoid him freezing you.

As far as farming, it is really wearing on me mentally doing the same thing over and over without getting any good results. I've currently done well over 200 nm meph runs, well over 100 Andy runs, and many times in the pit and AT. As seen in my gear, I've only gotten a few good sorc drops like the Oculus and Skin of Vipermagi. It seems like a good shield is impossible, SOJs and a Shako, also impossible. Better boots impossible. I'm really depressed doing the same thing because I can't find any gear to get me strong enough to eventually do meph in hell. I KNOW the undead stygian dolls will own me until I get better FCR and defense. How in the world do these you tube people get such good drops? What am I doing wrong?
There are any number of reasons people you've seen have gotten more good items than you, they're doing more runs than you, they're trading with others, they're running and leveling with others, they're playing with static maps offline, they have deeper game knowledge than you, and/or they are more skilled than you.

You don't need anything to beat the game. You don't need those sick items to do anything. Check out this thread - how far can superdave go? where one of the spf's most legendary members @superdave documents his journey running through the game on an essentially naked passivezon in hardcore!! You should read through that thread, I won't spoil it for you, how far do you think superdave got on his naked passivezon?

Instead of beating your face against the wall, perhaps a deep introspection into why you enjoy the game is in order. Getting good gear is not really the only point to the game.. I mean ultimately what is the point to playing the game? Once you get the good gear, then what?! Then you farm for items more quickly, but then what are you doing with those items? Will you enjoy whatever you're doing with them? Are you going to make more characters, play through the game more, or just farm on your one guy, or work on the grail, or try to level to 99, or what are you going to do?!

For me, I need to enjoy what I'm doing moment to moment to say that I enjoy the game. Don't tunnel vision on the destination, you have to enjoy the journey or else you really don't enjoy the game because the destination is just whatever you arbitrarily make it.

Judging by how long this this thread has been going on and how active it's been, and your general sentiment when you post, I would suggest taking a step back. Play another character and stop comparing yourself to others. This is the source of your frustration. You feel as though you should be getting more items because others are and it's frustrating. Take your time, play some other characters, read about the game, get your mechanics down, enjoy the entire game without focusing on the end so much.

Last edited:
I totally agree with NorthDakota. Item luck cannot be forced and compared to others games D2(R) is just hard. It's totally normal to be somewhat frusted, if you compare yourself to streamers who play hundreds of hours or guides with perfect gear. Take my amazon for example, she is level 89, has done hundreds of Mephisto runs (NM and Hell) and still has not found a Skin of the Vipermagi. That's just how RNG works. To be honest I my humble opinion your gear is quite good. With my last Sorc I never found Tal Rasha amulet over ~ 2 years.

All in all it is a matter of perspective and if you do not enjoy your current gaming experience, change something. Either take a brake or start a new character.

PS: I have played D2 since it's originally release, made my first Grief only this year and never had an Enigma.

For me, I need to enjoy what I'm doing moment to moment to say that I enjoy the game. Don't tunnel vision on the destination, you have to enjoy the journey or else you really don't enjoy the game because the destination is just whatever you arbitrarily make it.

Very wise words right here, and can't agree enough.

Once I've found every item I want, played every build I wanted to, and made every runeword I want, then I'm probably going to have a hard time having as much fun. Definitely a case of the journey being more important than the destination, for me at least.

Last edited:
Once I've found every item I want, played every build I wanted to, and made every runeword I want, then I'm probably going to have a hard time having as much fun.
Then you do the same with untwinked 99ers and get the same rewarding experience again. :)
As far as farming, it is really wearing on me mentally doing the same thing over and over without getting any good results. I've currently done well over 200 nm meph runs, well over 100 Andy runs, and many times in the pit and AT. As seen in my gear, I've only gotten a few good sorc drops like the Oculus, Tal amulet, and Skin of Vipermagi. It seems like a good shield is impossible, SOJs and a Shako, also impossible. Better boots impossible. I'm really depressed doing the same thing because I can't find any gear to get me strong enough to eventually do meph in hell. I KNOW the undead stygian dolls will own me until I get better FCR and defense. How in the world do these you tube people get such good drops? What am I doing wrong
100-200 runs is very little, I'd say you got a very good yield from such little amount of running. Even those 3 items you mentioned (Oculus, Tal amulet, Viper) are good enough to run Hell Meph, I've run him with worse gear before like just stealth + spirit + rhyme. Some ~1000 Hell Meph runs are normally enough to get things like Shako and Arach which will make you more powerful, as well as some other staple S&Us. And even 1000 runs isn't that much really. :)

Edit:
As was mentioned before, you gotta put things into perspective. Just compare your 300 runs to people farming things like Enigma. Even in SP with fixed maps, that takes some 5000 LK runs normally. And LK running is way less fun and way more grindy than running Meph. :D It's a dull activity, but people do it because it is incredibly rewarding. You can easily have stretches of 1000 runs with zero progress towards Enigma. Yet, someone setting their mind on farming Enigma will eventually get it, no matter the dry streaks along the way. (In SP at least.)

So in this regard I don't fully agree with the "everything must be fun" sentiment... if you have a goal that WILL increase your fun (things like Enigma/Infinity being the prime examples), it's definitely worth enduring some "pain" for.

Tbh I think rarity and D2 farming is in a pretty good place all things considered... if you really want something, you will be able to get it sooner or later, but the end game stuff is difficult/rare enough to make it a meaningful challenge and rewarding enough to grind it out.

Last edited:
So in this regard I don't fully agree with the "everything must be fun" sentiment... if you have a goal that WILL increase your fun (things like Enigma/Infinity being the prime examples), it's definitely worth enduring some "pain" for.
I think you've said it really well here. Part of the satisfaction is the feeling of accomplishment after a long difficult grind. It wouldn't be as rewarding if it wasn't difficult.

We're really digging into it here aren't we :ROFLMAO: I think we should all talk about our feelings and then have a pillow fight.

I think you've said it really well here. Part of the satisfaction is the feeling of accomplishment after a long difficult grind. It wouldn't be as rewarding if it wasn't difficult.

We're really digging into it here aren't we :ROFLMAO: I think we should all talk about our feelings and then have a pillow fight.
I think both perspectives are valid/good, but I think that @ffs is taking the long view and you're taking the shorter view.

I've played D2 since launch in 2000 (I was pretty sure I got it in 1998, but maybe that's just when the hype train started....), and I still am very much enjoying my untwinked restart in D2R.

I think that @Goomba should consider @ffs' perspective because it can bring his (I assume) goals into focus. Having fun with builds now is great, but so is having long-term goals. I think your advice that expecting "MegaMillions" returns in a couple of months is unrealistic was spot on. I thought about posting that I had to wonder if @Goomba had played D3 much since that game showers you with all the best loot immediately.

@Goomba If you've played D3 more than D2, then maybe your expectations were set too high to begin with. I didn't post that a few days ago b/c I thought it would be presumptuous.

The best thing with D2 is that you never run out of goals. I will likely never have any of the following, much less all:

- a full Grail
- BotD
- a perfect +1/45 skiller of vita
- a lvl 99 character
- self found single pass HC guardian
- anni/torch
- etc

I'll be thrilled to achieve even one of those, and each sounds fun to try to reach. At any given time I am probably making progress on several of them at once in some way :) Add to this the SP community and tournaments, and you got infinite playtime.

Reactions: Triple Helix
One last post, because I think everything is covered, but to demonstrate the "grind" aspect of D2...

I posted this on the old message board back in February 2020: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...thread-april-2019.966393/page-70#post-8879577

Ancient Tunnels is one of the top three spots for obtaining end game gear. Forgot my MF amount, but sorc was fully optimized. Guessing 550-650.

Here is the post if you do not want to click the link:

I have been spending quite a bit of time in AT with a Lvl96 Bliz. When I got to about 75% experience, I did the math and realized I still had 2,542 runs to go. Add in 166 more due to an errant teleport/might pack, and I give you my drop results from 2,708 runs:

Stash has 2,475 items.
19 days to complete (143 runs per day)

473 runes (36 Rals; 63 Tals)
10 Pul+: 1 Pul; 1Gul; 2Vex; 3Ohm; 1Lo; 2Sur
281 perfect gems (42 amethysts)
114 chipped gems
201 small charms
182 grand charms (3 Gheeds; 8 skillers--1 with life)
171 jewels: 4 unique; 5 rare
124 magic circlets/coronets/tiaras/diadems
25 rare circlets/coronets/tiaras/diadems
47 amulets: 1 unique (?); 12 set (1Tals); 34 rare
64 rings: 13 unique; 51 rare (1 ho hum dual leech)
38 rare druid pelts
46 barb helms
99 rare gloves (3 are 2/20)
73 rare belts
94 rare boots (1 tri-res but no other mods)
52 necro heads
27 magic monarchs
74 rare claws
51 rare orbs
33 rare wands"

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xc2c25b1e
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-4% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+5% to Lightning Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2369616
Item Level: 87
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 51 Poison Nova when you Die
Adds 37 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+3% to Poison Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xb69ca6c6
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 23 Venom when you Level-Up

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x72e91b0b
Unidentified
-4% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+5% to Poison Skill Damage

Doom Veil
Circlet
Defense: 23
Durability: 26 of 35
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x9c74805e
Unidentified
+2 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
24% Enhanced Damage
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
+15 to Life
All Resistances +15
Attacker Takes Damage of 1
+5 to Light Radius

Blood Crest
Circlet
Durability: 19 of 35
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x9bf949ee
Unidentified
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
+49% Damage to Demons
+55 to Attack Rating against Demons
Adds 1 - 94 Lightning Damage
+5 to Energy
Damage Reduced by 3
Magic Damage Reduced by 3

Doom Cowl
Tiara
Defense: 41
Durability: 20 of 25
Fingerprint: 0x406812ba
Unidentified
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+30% Faster Run/Walk
8% Life stolen per hit
All Resistances +11
Damage Reduced by 2

Bitter Knuckle
Heavy Bracers
Defense: 38
Durability: 14 of 16
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 58
Fingerprint: 0x9f1277d4
Unidentified
+2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+19 to Attack Rating
Poison Resist +7%
Half Freeze Duration
Level 3 Power Strike (25/27 Charges)

Dread Hand
Demonhide Gloves
Defense: 53
Durability: 7 of 12
Required Level: 35
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x9c646e7d
Unidentified
14% Chance to cast level 5 Nova when struck
+2 to Martial Art Skills (Assassin Only)
+49% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +6%

Carrion Knuckle
Chain Gloves
Defense: 15
Durability: 13 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xdc55ec5f
Item Level: 85
Unidentified
Adds 1 - 4 Fire Damage
3% Mana stolen per hit
+54% Enhanced Defense

Amber Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0xd5cbb224
Unidentified
+13 to Life
Lightning Resist +11%

Ruby Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdb4d5bdd
Unidentified
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Fire Resist +10%

Ruby Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x87c4e871
Unidentified
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
Fire Resist +11%

Steel Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x80b75910
Unidentified
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
+29 to Attack Rating

Jade Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x5a4f865f
Unidentified
Poison Resist +9%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Lion Branded Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xa1e58c22
Unidentified
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+27 to Life

33 sacred armors in total: 1 gold; 2 set; 6 rare; 12 magic; 12 white/gray (13 were Ilvl 85, including gold + 1 set)

Qualifiers with highest point totals (+ green sacred armors):

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 133
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 167
Fingerprint: 0x49105fdd
Unidentified
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+85% Enhanced Defense
+19 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Ravenlore
Sky Spirit
Defense: 358
Durability: 17 of 20
Required Level: 74
Required Strength: 113
Fingerprint: 0x89bfc14f
Unidentified
+3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
-17% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+7 to Raven (Druid Only)
+130% Enhanced Defense
+29 to Energy
All Resistances +17

Spirit Keeper
Earth Spirit
Defense: 440
Durability: 15 of 20
Required Strength: 104
Fingerprint: 0x8330d105
Unidentified
+1 to Druid Skill Levels
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+188% Enhanced Defense
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist +38%
+10 Lightning Absorb
Cold Absorb 15%

Griswold's Redemption
Caduceus
One Hand Damage: 122 - 142
Durability: 55 of 70
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 78
Required Dexterity: 56
Fingerprint: 0x5756f167
Unidentified
+40% Increased Attack Speed
232% Enhanced Damage
+350% Damage to Undead
Requirements -20%
Set (2 items): +2 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
Set (3 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
Set (4 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
3 Sockets (0 used)

Ghostflame
Legend Spike
One Hand Damage: 140 - 214
Durability: 38 of 47
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 55
Required Dexterity: 57
Fingerprint: 0xe0da9daa
Unidentified
Indestructible
206% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 108 - 108 Magic Damage
14% Mana stolen per hit
+2 to Light Radius
Ethereal

Executioner's Justice
Glorious Axe
Two Hand Damage: 230 - 476
Durability: 40 of 50
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 164
Required Dexterity: 55
Fingerprint: 0xb82d8fed
Unidentified
50% Chance to cast level 6 Decrepify when you Kill an Enemy
+30% Increased Attack Speed
284% Enhanced Damage
-33% Target Defense
25% Chance of Crushing Blow

Death's Fathom
Dimensional Shard
One Hand Damage: 30 - 53
Durability: 36 of 50
Required Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0xb74e9230
Unidentified
+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+28% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +33%
Fire Resist +40%

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 139
Durability: 17 of 24
Fingerprint: 0x86319a37
Unidentified
+2 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+94% Enhanced Defense
+22 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Metalgrid
Amulet
Required Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x5e6849ec
+402 to Attack Rating
+332 Defense
All Resistances +27
Level 22 Iron Golem (8/11 Charges)
Level 12 Iron Maiden (4/20 Charges)

Halaberd's Reign
Conqueror Crown
Defense: 419
Durability: 42 of 50
Required Level: 77
Required Strength: 174
Fingerprint: 0x369d9a
Unidentified
+1 to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+2 to Battle Command (Barbarian Only)
+1 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
+162% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +18

Death's Fathom
Dimensional Shard
Durability: 46 of 50
Fingerprint: 0xbc6d445
Unidentified
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+20% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
Fire Resist +29%

Immortal King's Soul Cage
Sacred Armor
Defense: 1001
Durability: 52 of 60
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 232
Fingerprint: 0x7591a274
Unidentified
5% Chance to cast level 5 Enchant when struck
+2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)
+400 Defense
Poison Resist +50%
Set (2 items): +25% Faster Hit Recovery
Set (3 items): Cold Resist +40%
Set (4 items): Fire Resist +40%
Set (5 items): Lightning Resist +40%
Set (6 items): +50% Enhanced Defense

Biggin's Bonnet
Cap
Defense: 17
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xac46da74
Unidentified
30% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Attack Rating
+14 Defense
+15 to Life
+15 to Mana

Greyform
Quilted Armor
Defense: 28
Required Level: 7
Required Strength: 12
Fingerprint: 0x6318d4a1
Unidentified
5% Life stolen per hit
+20 Defense
+10 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +20%
Fire Resist +20%

Templar's Might
Sacred Armor
Defense: 1664
Durability: 33 of 60
Fingerprint: 0xb8faed2b
Unidentified
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+177% Enhanced Defense
+271 Defense vs. Missile
+10 to Strength
+14 to Vitality
+48 Maximum Stamina

Stormspire
Giant Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 119 - 339
Durability: 51 of 55
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 188
Required Dexterity: 140
Fingerprint: 0x5202d81d
Unidentified
5% Chance to cast level 5 Chain Lightning when struck
2% Chance to cast level 20 Charged Bolt when struck
Indestructible
198% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 237 Lightning Damage
+10 to Strength
Lightning Resist +50%
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 27

Sacred Armor
Durability: 55 of 60
Fingerprint: 0xba51c915
Unidentified
+400 Defense
Poison Resist +50%

Windforce
Hydra Bow
Two Hand Damage: 35 - 472
Durability: 38 of 55
Required Strength: 134
Required Dexterity: 167
Fingerprint: 0xa283280e
Unidentified
250% Enhanced Damage
+234 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
8% Mana stolen per hit
Knockback
+10 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
Heal Stamina Plus 30%

Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 168
Fingerprint: 0x35f157d7
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
-19% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+10% to Lightning Skill Damage
+116 Defense

As an aside, I just hit Lvl 90. I the last three levels doing AT/Pindle I have found four or five TC87 items, including Shadow Dancers, Executioner's Justice, and 2 IK armors.

Reactions: Triple Helix
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone, I appreciate it. I think I need to find a good balance of grinding and also playing the game/quests. I beat Duriel yesterday and am currently collecting Kalims relics in Act 3. The undead stygian doll like enemies in the sewers are giving me a hell of a time though. I might MF some more at times when I feel my patience is good. After reading everyone's experiences with MF runs, I'll try to be more patient. Maybe my luck hasn't been that awful all things considered.

I think both perspectives are valid/good, but I think that @ffs is taking the long view and you're taking the shorter view.

I've played D2 since launch in 2000 (I was pretty sure I got it in 1998, but maybe that's just when the hype train started....), and I still am very much enjoying my untwinked restart in D2R.

I think that @Goomba should consider @ffs' perspective because it can bring his (I assume) goals into focus. Having fun with builds now is great, but so is having long-term goals. I think your advice that expecting "MegaMillions" returns in a couple of months is unrealistic was spot on. I thought about posting that I had to wonder if @Goomba had played D3 much since that game showers you with all the best loot immediately.

@Goomba If you've played D3 more than D2, then maybe your expectations were set too high to begin with. I didn't post that a few days ago b/c I thought it would be presumptuous.
Yes, I have played Diablo 3 a ton and like to play when they have new seasons. The drops are definitely more generous. I also used to play D2 like 20 or so years ago, but maybe D3 changed my expectations. It was so long ago when I used to play the original D2 that I probably forgot how long it takes. <snip>. However, when I do find items I need it is definitely rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone, I appreciate it. I think I need to find a good balance of grinding and also playing the game/quests. I beat Duriel yesterday and am currently collecting Kalims relics in Act 3. The undead stygian doll like enemies in the sewers are giving me a hell of a time though. I might MF some more at times when I feel my patience is good. After reading everyone's experiences with MF runs, I'll try to be more patient. Maybe my luck hasn't been that awful all things considered.
Yeah, it just takes a while, but things come together eventually. I've logged a lot of hours since D2R dropped and have 2 mats and 1 pat offline, with many Pindleskin and Ancient Tunnels runs, etc. Still no Harlequin's or Mara's, but I know they'll come eventually. When they do it'll feel great, and I'll eventually start another build I've been saving items for in my stash.

I’ve played a lot of D3 as well, but D2 is more fulfilling/rewarding to me personally. Whereas D3 was a sprint, D2 is a marathon, and I like it that way. :p

One last post, because I think everything is covered, but to demonstrate the "grind" aspect of D2...

I posted this on the old message board back in February 2020: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...thread-april-2019.966393/page-70#post-8879577

Ancient Tunnels is one of the top three spots for obtaining end game gear. Forgot my MF amount, but sorc was fully optimized. Guessing 550-650.

Here is the post if you do not want to click the link:

I have been spending quite a bit of time in AT with a Lvl96 Bliz. When I got to about 75% experience, I did the math and realized I still had 2,542 runs to go. Add in 166 more due to an errant teleport/might pack, and I give you my drop results from 2,708 runs:

Stash has 2,475 items.
19 days to complete (143 runs per day)

473 runes (36 Rals; 63 Tals)
10 Pul+: 1 Pul; 1Gul; 2Vex; 3Ohm; 1Lo; 2Sur
281 perfect gems (42 amethysts)
114 chipped gems
201 small charms
182 grand charms (3 Gheeds; 8 skillers--1 with life)
171 jewels: 4 unique; 5 rare
124 magic circlets/coronets/tiaras/diadems
25 rare circlets/coronets/tiaras/diadems
47 amulets: 1 unique (?); 12 set (1Tals); 34 rare
64 rings: 13 unique; 51 rare (1 ho hum dual leech)
38 rare druid pelts
46 barb helms
99 rare gloves (3 are 2/20)
73 rare belts
94 rare boots (1 tri-res but no other mods)
52 necro heads
27 magic monarchs
74 rare claws
51 rare orbs
33 rare wands"

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xc2c25b1e
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-4% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+5% to Lightning Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2369616
Unidentified

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xb69ca6c6
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 23 Venom when you Level-Up

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x72e91b0b
Unidentified
-4% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+5% to Poison Skill Damage

Doom Veil
Circlet
Durability: 26 of 35
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x9c74805e
Unidentified
+2 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
24% Enhanced Damage
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
+15 to Life
All Resistances +15
Attacker Takes Damage of 1
+5 to Light Radius

Blood Crest
Circlet
Durability: 19 of 35
Fingerprint: 0x9bf949ee
Unidentified
+49% Damage to Demons
+55 to Attack Rating against Demons
Adds 1 - 94 Lightning Damage
+5 to Energy
Damage Reduced by 3

Doom Cowl
Tiara
Defense: 41
Durability: 20 of 25
Fingerprint: 0x406812ba
Unidentified
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+30% Faster Run/Walk
8% Life stolen per hit
All Resistances +11
Damage Reduced by 2

Bitter Knuckle
Heavy Bracers
Defense: 38
Durability: 14 of 16
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 58
Fingerprint: 0x9f1277d4
Unidentified
+2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
+19 to Attack Rating
Poison Resist +7%
Half Freeze Duration
Level 3 Power Strike (25/27 Charges)

Dread Hand
Demonhide Gloves
Defense: 53
Durability: 7 of 12
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x9c646e7d
Unidentified
14% Chance to cast level 5 Nova when struck
+49% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +6%

Carrion Knuckle
Chain Gloves
Defense: 15
Durability: 13 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xdc55ec5f
Unidentified
Adds 1 - 4 Fire Damage
3% Mana stolen per hit
+54% Enhanced Defense

Amber Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xd5cbb224
Unidentified
+13 to Life
Lightning Resist +11%

Ruby Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdb4d5bdd
Unidentified
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Fire Resist +10%

Ruby Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x87c4e871
Unidentified
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
Fire Resist +11%

Steel Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x80b75910
Unidentified
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
+29 to Attack Rating

Jade Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x5a4f865f
Unidentified
Poison Resist +9%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Lion Branded Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xa1e58c22
Unidentified
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+27 to Life

33 sacred armors in total: 1 gold; 2 set; 6 rare; 12 magic; 12 white/gray (13 were Ilvl 85, including gold + 1 set)

Qualifiers with highest point totals (+ green sacred armors):

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 133
Durability: 23 of 24
Fingerprint: 0x49105fdd
Unidentified
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+85% Enhanced Defense
+19 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Ravenlore
Sky Spirit
Defense: 358
Required Strength: 113
Fingerprint: 0x89bfc14f
Unidentified
+3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
-17% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+7 to Raven (Druid Only)
+130% Enhanced Defense
+29 to Energy
All Resistances +17

Spirit Keeper
Earth Spirit
Defense: 440
Required Strength: 104
Fingerprint: 0x8330d105
Unidentified
+1 to Druid Skill Levels
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+188% Enhanced Defense
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist +38%
+10 Lightning Absorb
Cold Absorb 15%

Griswold's Redemption
Caduceus
One Hand Damage: 122 - 142
Durability: 55 of 70
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 78
Required Dexterity: 56
Fingerprint: 0x5756f167
Unidentified
+40% Increased Attack Speed
232% Enhanced Damage
+350% Damage to Undead
Requirements -20%
Set (2 items): +2 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
Set (3 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
Set (4 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
3 Sockets (0 used)

Ghostflame
Legend Spike
One Hand Damage: 140 - 214
Durability: 38 of 47
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 55
Required Dexterity: 57
Fingerprint: 0xe0da9daa
Unidentified
Indestructible
206% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 108 - 108 Magic Damage
14% Mana stolen per hit
+2 to Light Radius
Ethereal

Executioner's Justice
Glorious Axe
Two Hand Damage: 230 - 476
Durability: 40 of 50
Required Strength: 164
Required Dexterity: 55
Fingerprint: 0xb82d8fed
Unidentified
50% Chance to cast level 6 Decrepify when you Kill an Enemy
284% Enhanced Damage
-33% Target Defense
25% Chance of Crushing Blow

Death's Fathom
Dimensional Shard
Durability: 36 of 50
Fingerprint: 0xb74e9230
Unidentified
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+28% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +33%
Fire Resist +40%

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 139
Durability: 17 of 24
Fingerprint: 0x86319a37
Unidentified
+2 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+94% Enhanced Defense
+22 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Metalgrid
Amulet
Required Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x5e6849ec
+402 to Attack Rating
+332 Defense
All Resistances +27
Level 22 Iron Golem (8/11 Charges)
Level 12 Iron Maiden (4/20 Charges)

Halaberd's Reign
Conqueror Crown
Defense: 419
Durability: 42 of 50
Required Strength: 174
Fingerprint: 0x369d9a
Unidentified
+1 to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+2 to Battle Command (Barbarian Only)
+1 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
+162% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +18

Death's Fathom
Dimensional Shard
Durability: 46 of 50
Fingerprint: 0xbc6d445
Unidentified
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+20% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
Fire Resist +29%

Sacred Armor
Durability: 52 of 60
Fingerprint: 0x7591a274
Unidentified
+400 Defense
Poison Resist +50%

Biggin's Bonnet
Cap
Defense: 17
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xac46da74
Unidentified
30% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Attack Rating
+14 Defense
+15 to Life
+15 to Mana

Greyform
Quilted Armor
Defense: 28
Required Level: 7
Required Strength: 12
Fingerprint: 0x6318d4a1
Unidentified
5% Life stolen per hit
+20 Defense
+10 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +20%
Fire Resist +20%

Templar's Might
Sacred Armor
Defense: 1664
Durability: 33 of 60
Fingerprint: 0xb8faed2b
Unidentified
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+177% Enhanced Defense
+271 Defense vs. Missile
+10 to Strength
+14 to Vitality
+48 Maximum Stamina

Stormspire
Giant Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 119 - 339
Durability: 51 of 55
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 188
Required Dexterity: 140
Fingerprint: 0x5202d81d
Unidentified
5% Chance to cast level 5 Chain Lightning when struck
2% Chance to cast level 20 Charged Bolt when struck
Indestructible
198% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 237 Lightning Damage
+10 to Strength
Lightning Resist +50%
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 27

Sacred Armor
Durability: 55 of 60
Fingerprint: 0xba51c915
Unidentified
+400 Defense
Poison Resist +50%

Windforce
Hydra Bow
Two Hand Damage: 35 - 472
Durability: 38 of 55
Required Strength: 134
Required Dexterity: 167
Fingerprint: 0xa283280e
Unidentified
250% Enhanced Damage
+234 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
8% Mana stolen per hit
Knockback
+10 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
Heal Stamina Plus 30%

Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 168
Fingerprint: 0x35f157d7
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
-19% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+10% to Lightning Skill Damage
+116 Defense

As an aside, I just hit Lvl 90. I the last three levels doing AT/Pindle I have found four or five TC87 items, including Shadow Dancers, Executioner's Justice, and 2 IK armors.
Wow that's really impressive, nice work! Is AT one of the top three places to farm because it is friendly for the ice element? What are the other top places to MF? I currently do Andy, the pit, and AT. Am I missing anything? I have not made it to meph on hell yet.

Also, hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is it worth my time to break the pots and urns when farming? Do they ever yield anything good?

Several years ago, I realized I'd never found an SOJ, and decided to remedy it. NM Andy is the best target, but I did Hell Andy because I didn't want to lose my map, After over 800 runs I needed a break, so hit up Hell Meph for a while. A random chest on the way to him dropped a gold ring... SoJ.

Mathematically, you have the highest odds of finding good stuff by not wasting time clicking on chests, urns, etc. (Except for LK) I do it anyway, because I enjoy it, and if I'm having fun I tend to play longer, and get more total drops.

Wow that's really impressive, nice work! Is AT one of the top three places to farm because it is friendly for the ice element? What are the other top places to MF? I currently do Andy, the pit, and AT. Am I missing anything? I have not made it to meph on hell yet.

Also, hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is it worth my time to break the pots and urns when farming? Do they ever yield anything good?
Travincal is good for runes, rings, amulets, facets, and gold.

Gold might not seem like a big deal, but gambling is a way to get decent items. I gambled a Gull Dagger within a few days of starting*. Certain items, like that one, are relatively easy to get via gambling.

Once your merc is tanky enough, you should be able to do trav runs comfortably. Barbs and Zealots are maybe easier than a blizz sorc, but blizz sorcs can be very effective in Trav.

* edit: starting the gambling process, not starting a new character in D2R.

More edit: In case it interests you, here is my goldfind barb's merc's stats/gear (in D2L):

Mercenary:

Name: Durga
Race: Desert Mercenary
Type: Off-Nightmare
Experience: 91473216
Level: 91
Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
Strength: 197/197
Dexterity: 159/159
HP: 2007/2007
Defense: 1472/2819
AR: 1985/1985

Fire: 271/231/171
Cold: 221/181/121
Lightning: 221/181/121
Poison: 221/181/121

Guardian Angel
Templar Coat
Defense: 1170
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Level: 45
Required Strength: 108
Fingerprint: 0x4caa99ca
+1 to Paladin Skill Levels
+30% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+7 to Maximum Damage
+227 to Attack Rating against Demons (Based on Character Level)
+184% Enhanced Defense
+15% to Maximum Poison Resist
+15% to Maximum Cold Resist
+15% to Maximum Lightning Resist
+15% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +29%
+4 to Light Radius
Ethereal
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ruby Jewel of Wrath

Ruby Jewel of Wrath
Jewel
Required Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0x756759ea
Item Level: 69
+7 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +29%

Kira's Guardian
Tiara
Defense: 177
Durability: 13 of 13
Fingerprint: 0xebfc01d2
Item Level: 94
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+107 Defense
All Resistances +66
Fire Resist +21%
Cannot Be Frozen
Ethereal
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ruby Jewel of Fervor

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0x19653935
Item Level: 80
+15% Increased Attack Speed
Fire Resist +21%

The Reaper's Toll
Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 40 - 472
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Strength: 114
Required Dexterity: 89
Fingerprint: 0x1dda7adc
33% Chance to cast level 1 Decrepify on striking
235% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 4 - 44 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (41 Frames)
14% Life stolen per hit
33% Deadly Strike
Requirements -25%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune

Shael Rune
Required Level: 29
Weapons: +20% Increased Attack Speed
Armor: +20% Faster Hit Recovery
Shields: +20% Faster Block Rate

Last edited: