Looking for help with Sorceress

The way to counter massed sources of moderate damage is integer physical damage reduction (PDR). Corrupted rogue archers deal some elemental damage as well but an easily obtained defense that will still last your mercenary long is sol runes, just as with pesky nightmare dolls. Cast weaken too, that will ease things a lot. For example:
10 lucky dark archers fire and hit for maximum physical damage, 10 x 84. 840 damage, and two such volleys will finish your town guard.
Weaken them, and the damage shrinks to 10 x 54, 540.
Put 7 Sol runes in helmet and armour and the damage of each weakened hit is reduced to 54-49, a meagre 5. Or 50 damage per volley.

This will not be so effective against a few stronger enemies but those are easier to avoid with ample teleporting and nothing stops you from keeping several setups of merc gear in your stash. In Act I, the dangers to mercenaries are in my experience predominantly swarms of archers rather than big individuals anyway.

Sol runes are of course the countess' domain. You can keep raiding nightmare Mephisto hoping to find excellent mercenary armours like Shaftstop (against bosses) and Iron Pelt (against mentioned groups) and just about any lucrative raiding that gives you gold to gamble circlets (of life everlasting) for can be worthwhile.

Reactions: Zyr and NorthDakota
I have not been having good luck farming the pit. Would I be better off going back to meph in nm?

Yea, the pit is usually where yea go to play the long odds, your more likely to get good stuff early from hell meph and andy. The pit is better for the super rare stuff.

What are you looking for from Meph? He can drop a bunch, no doubt, but the premier items are Pindle and Lvl 85s (Tals armor, DFathom, Andys). For pure cold build, its Pindle, AT, or bust. Pit is not an option. Archers are killer for noobs.

BTW, for online games, you have to deal with non static maps and p1. Meph is not an efficient target under those circumstances in my view. Pretty much everything is cold immune on the way and those fetishes are everywhere. What is your FCR and hit recovery? Guessing, but neither is probably very good. Shako, chancies, and goldwrap are nice, but 5 each of those will drop when running for the money gear.

Lastly, you want to keep merc alive? Level him. That and glacial spike.

Hey all, so I did another 100 meph nightmare runs yesterday. I got some decent items, I think it's time to progress further in hell now.
Run 14 - Skullder's Ire (not sure if is it good but has high MF)
Run 54 - Goldwrap belt
Run 69 - Lem rune from one of the council
Run 73 - Stealskull for merc
Run 86 - Tal Rasha mask for merc
Run 99 - Another Tal Rasha mask

Hey all, so I did another 100 meph nightmare runs yesterday. I got some decent items, I think it's time to progress further in hell now.
Run 54 - Goldwrap belt
skulders is great for meph runs, I almost always use it specifically in meph runs over other options. Also in pindle runs. Any runs where your resist/fcr have less impact and you just wanna blast max mf

Reactions: snickersnack
Run 54 - Goldwrap belt
You should seriously consider making a Treachery armor with that Lem rune for your merc to wear. Imo, it's one of the top 10 runewords in the game. 45% ias and level 15 Fade will keep him alive (the ias means he'll hit and leech life more often). You may not know, but Fade has a hidden bonus as it gives 15% damage reduction at level 15.

You should seriously consider making a Treachery armor with that Lem rune for your merc to wear. Imo, it's one of the top 10 runewords in the game. 45% ias and level 15 Fade will keep him alive (the ias means he'll hit and leech life more often). You may not know, but Fade has a hidden bonus as it gives 15% damage reduction at level 15.
What base should I be looking for to make the treachery in? Are there any other rune words that use Lem that I might need it for?

Ultimately, what is the best armor I can get for the merc? Are there certain unique armors I should be looking for, or is it a rune word like treachery?

Thanks

Reactions: snickersnack
The only other runeword with Lem in it that would be remotely relevant to your sorceress would be Delerium helm (which again, would be for the merc.) I'd say that Treachery is a better use for the first Lem rune.

I don't think that the base matters all that much for Treachery. The runeword doesn't give any enhanced defense. While for a merc, ethereal armors are preferred, putting it in a non-ethereal armor gives you the flexibility to use on a character. For that reason, I'd probably make your first one in a non-ethereal armor with reasonable strength requirements.

Generally, the most popular choice for end game merc armor is the Fortitude rune word (which requires a Lo rune, so pretty rare.)

For uniques, Duriel's Shell has good defensive stats and the very useful "cannot be frozen". Shaftstop has lots of damage reduction which can be helpful to keep the merc alive. Finally, Skin of the Flayed one has a good chunk of life leach which is very useful if you don't have a life leach source on his helm or weapon.

The only other runeword with Lem in it that would be remotely relevant to your sorceress would be Delerium helm (which again, would be for the merc.) I'd say that Treachery is a better use for the first Lem rune.

I don't think that the base matters all that much for Treachery. The runeword doesn't give any enhanced defense. While for a merc, ethereal armors are preferred, putting it in a non-ethereal armor gives you the flexibility to use on a character. For that reason, I'd probably make your first one in a non-ethereal armor with reasonable strength requirements.

Generally, the most popular choice for end game merc armor is the Fortitude rune word (which requires a Lo rune, so pretty rare.)

For uniques, Duriel's Shell has good defensive stats and the very useful "cannot be frozen". Shaftstop has lots of damage reduction which can be helpful to keep the merc alive. Finally, Skin of the Flayed one has a good chunk of life leach which is very useful if you don't have a life leach source on his helm or weapon.
@Goomba, this pretty much covers it. Most of the elite unique armors are useful, but you won't find any of those until later. I think the only other thing that drops in NM that you might find useful is Guardian Angel for the merc to wear. It raises elemental resist caps, so he can survive better if/when you do Travincal runs.

Reactions: NorthDakota
Thanks for the advice everyone. Right now I'm able to easily do Andariel hell runs but haven't had a lot of luck yet. I can try to push further to get to act 3, but I don't think I'd stand a chance doing hell meph runs because of the undead stygian dolls lol. Right now I'm at the start of act 2. I'm just wondering if I should keep doing Andy runs or do the pit or somewhere else?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Right now I'm able to easily do Andariel hell runs but haven't had a lot of luck yet. I can try to push further to get to act 3, but I don't think I'd stand a chance doing hell meph runs because of the undead stygian dolls lol. Right now I'm at the start of act 2. I'm just wondering if I should keep doing Andy runs or do the pit or somewhere else?
How much fcr do you have? I'm doing NM meph runs with 105 fcr and I don't get hit; I just teleport past everything. I occasionally get hit by the blue ghost guys in durance 3, but that's it. To be fair, though, I'm offline, so I have a static map, which makes that a bit easier.j

There's certainly nothing wrong with running hAndy depending on what your current gear setup is. Like she can drop war travs, vipermagi, shako, good for finding jewelry (sojs possibly anyone? probably not but maybe!) So those are kind of staples. Really the only one which will help you progress is the vmagi though. Can't recommend pit for cold sorc definitely not pit, definitely not for a lowish level character sorcy. Shako is also great because of all the crazy life and mana it gives.

How much fcr do you have? I'm doing NM meph runs with 105 fcr and I don't get hit; I just teleport past everything. I occasionally get hit by the blue ghost guys in durance 3, but that's it. To be fair, though, I'm offline, so I have a static map, which makes that a bit easier.j
My FCR is only 80 right now.

My FCR is only 80 right now.
Okay, the break points that I aim for are either 63% when things are tight or 105% when I have the items. You know about crafted items right? You can craft "caster" items that give fcr. Linky: (https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2/crafting-recipes/#Caster_Crafting_Recipes)

If you have a ring or ammy with 10%, then it's doing nothing for your cast speed since the breakpoint is 63%. I'm assuming that you don't already know that, so apologies if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't getting a ton of XP from Andariel right now, I'd probably move on. Act 2 has the Ancient Tunnels (a level 85 area like the pit) that might be a bit more sorceress friendly. You won't see nearly as many set and unique items as you do killing act bosses, but if you can find a Monarch for Spirit, that would probably be one of the bigger upgrades for you now. (And level 85 areas are going to be the best place to look for one.)

If you aren't getting a ton of XP from Andariel right now, I'd probably move on. Act 2 has the Ancient Tunnels (a level 85 area like the pit) that might be a bit more sorceress friendly. You won't see nearly as many set and unique items as you do killing act bosses, but if you can find a Monarch for Spirit, that would probably be one of the bigger upgrades for you now. (And level 85 areas are going to be the best place to look for one.)
Yes I'm definitely looking for a monarch shield. I've read that some suggest taking off your MF gear to get one to drop that's either white or has sockets. Do I need to do that? I don't want to reduce my chances for other good gear like the Shako.

Magic Find will reduce the chances of finding white and grey items. So, you'll have to find the balance that works for you. Personally, since area running tends to be lower on the set/uniques anyhow than boss farming, I'd drop the MF until you have the base items you want. (And at that point, you may be able to move onto Hell Meph who will be a better target for sets and uniques.)

So right now I have 5 extra skill points. I'm torn between putting them into ice bolt for frozen orb damage or fire bolt for meteor and fire ball damage, or what about fire mastery? I already have frozen mastery at 17 -100%. Which one should I prioritize next?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High