Question LK Superchest question

hackedagainanda

Jun 4, 2015
Can a +3 to skill tree spawn on magic items from the LK chests? I'm wondering if I'm wasting time picking up magic items looking for this. The item level shows 80 from the chests which should be high enough even if albeit rarely spawns.

TL;DR: all magical items from LK chests can spawn with +3.

Long version:
+3 to a skill tree requires alvl 60. Now, from the item generation tutorial:

Item generation tutorial said:
When an item is generated that has prefixes the alvl is calculated* from ilvl and qlvl as follows:

If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}
if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl} ;** see note below
if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=ilvl+magic_lvl}
else
{
if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}
}
If (alvl>99) then {alvl=99}

• *all calculations use integers so there are no fractions at any step.
  • ** this new ilvl value is only used for the duration of this calculation. The ilvl value that is stored in the items data file will remain unchanged
What this basically means is, that every items with a magic_lvl can spawn +3 to a skill tree, because the alvl will be 81+

Here's a list of all items with magic_lvl:
All Wands, Staffs and Orbs have magic_lvl=1. Circlets have magic_lvl=3, Coronets have magic_lvl=8, Tiaras have magic_lvl=13, Diadems have magic_lvl=18. Other items don't have it.

with other items it is more difficult. Basically every item with qlvl 36 or less can spawn +3 to a skill tree, because of this line:
if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
the first line is always true for ilvl 80 items with qlvl of 36 or less, and the second line results in alvl 62+.

btw, Amulets and Rings always have a qlvl of 1. So all magical amulets from LK can spawn with +3 to a skill tree.

Now let's see what the formula says for qlvl>36:
if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}
Every qlvl between 37 and 80 results in the same alvl for ilvl 80, that is 61.

Items with qlvl > 80 (ilvl) will instead get the ilvl of 80 replaced with the qlvl for the calculation only (not in the readout) and will have higher ilvl and thus have higher alvl than 61 (e.g. War Pike: it has a qlvl of 85, so alvl will be (2*85-99)= 71.)

So yes, indeed every magical item from LK chest can spawn with +3 to one skill tree (if there aren't any mistakes or mental missteps from my side...)

Here's a link to the affix calculator site:

Last edited:
On a related note, I recently "confirmed" that cracked/crude/etc matriarchal bows can't get +3 bow skills (or even +2) when repaired using the cube. So many wasted elds. 😭

• Sad
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I learned somewhere that grand charms dropped in NM Great Marsh or Flayer Jungle have the best chance to 3-pgem reroll to get a skiller, because the grand charm will have item level 50. (Maybe slightly higher if dropped by a champion or unique.)

For trying to reroll a +3 skill tree amulet, what's the ideal item level, and where would those drop (or gamble)? Are amulets from LK chests good candidates?

I learned somewhere that grand charms dropped in NM Great Marsh or Flayer Jungle have the best chance to 3-pgem reroll to get a skiller, because the grand charm will have item level 50. (Maybe slightly higher if dropped by a champion or unique.)
The alvl for Skillers is indeed 50. So ilvl 50 charms have the greatest chance to get +1 to one skill tree (4.57% for any skill tree, 0.22% for a specific skill tree)

The difference to ilvl 99 GC in comparison is negligible though: 4.34% for any one skill tree, 0.21% for a specific skill tree. The reason is, that there are almost no Prefixes with an alvl >60 (Bloody, Serrated, Lucky).

On the other hand, with an ilvl 99 GC you have far better suffixes to choose from as compared to an ilvl 50 one. So I wouldn't bother farming ilvl 50 GCs.
For trying to reroll a +3 skill tree amulet, what's the ideal item level, and where would those drop (or gamble)? Are amulets from LK chests good candidates?
the ilvl should be between 60 and 89. Starting ilvl 90, +2 to all char skills gets available, reducing the chance of a +3 single skill tree (4.33% for any one skill tree vs. 4.05%). So yes, amulets from LK chests are good candidates (ilvl 80). The character who gambles should be level 65 to 85. That way all amulets gambled (ilvl of gambled items is between clvl-5 and clvl+4) have an ilvl between 60 and 89.

I have a question too! Is the probability for rerolling a skiller from an LK superchest the same as a skiller dropping from the chest itself?

I have a question too! Is the probability for rerolling a skiller from an LK superchest the same as a skiller dropping from the chest itself?
If you mean rerolling with the 3 Perfect Gems + magical item cube recipe, then yes - it is the same probability because the original ilvl is retained. So if you reroll an ilvl 80 GC from LK, it will still be an ilvl 80 GC after the reroll.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High