Introducing Kartongen: Returning player new to SPF

Kartongen

Aug 1, 2008
Hello there SPF.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am know around these parts as Kartongen, and I have been a faan of Diablo II since my old classmate showed me the game in 2000. Played classic some, and bought LoD with some saved up allowance around launch. Both classic and LoD was played on an old relic of a computer bought from my moms work when it was deemed too old to run word etc for them. It was laggy and slow, but it was mine. I loved that computer, and its massive 3 GB harddrive.

I have always loved the game, but my understanding of it was very poor for quite a while. Then, in 2008, I took a summer substitute providing customer service over the phone. One of my collegues mentioned he played LoD, and we became fast friends. All time in between calls was spent emailing back and forth about Diablo, and the evenings often spent playing it together (on ladder). This theorycrafting during the day, practice during evening, is where my understanding of the game grew. He also introduced me to this forum, for which I will always be grateful.
So if any of you recognize my name, it is probably from the EuScL trading forum.

Now, since December, I am the father of a young girl. As such, my gaming time will be highly restricted. The thought of biannual reset is thus starting to lose it's appeal. Consequently I am turing to singleplayer, and was ecstatic to see that these forums were still active. I have enjoyed lurking, awaiting the pause long enough to post my introduction, so thank you all for your various interesting threads.

Short about Diablo preferences. I prefer Amazons, though sorcessessess (sorceri?) and necromancers are also high on the list. Paladins are at the bottom. I have yet to clear act 1 with a Paladin. I just cant stand them...

Well... That is all for now.
*Exposes shins* *Loads up on fake wallets with mousetraps attached*

Kindly
Kartongen

:eek: Blasphemy!
Just the way he runs... The way he kicks barrels... Paladins are just so haughty. (And they should be. But it's just too much for me in D2. So hats off to whoever did the animations/sprites.) ^^

I will make a Mat/Pat untwinked sept (long term goal), so that I have played all classes. Any input in what paladins you find fun is appreciated. Cause I am dreading having to play one. (I will probably like it if I give them a chance. But still.)

Damn, he came prepared :(
Pros of lurking I guess. See the wallet thing as a lottery instead. Many are trapped, but one might have a grand prize inside. :cool:

If you don't like Paladins, you'll definitely want to go with an overpowered build rather than an underpowered build, so therefore you should pick a Hammerdin!

If you pick an underpowered build, it's likely to deepen your hatred for them, but Hammerdins play more like Nova Sorceresses or Venomancers and you've already mentioned that you like Sorceresses and Necromancers, so I think it will be a good build for you.

Welcome to the active side of the forum! Be sure to join the Untwinked 99er thread, I have heard that it is loads of fun.

HA!!!! Take that @T72on1!

[...]Hammerdin![...]
Somehow the thought of hammerdin makes me uneasy. Probably just because it is THE cookiecutter. I think I prefer the less common/conventional builds. (My first character to beat normal was a passive only Amazon. ^^ Edit: I should clarify that this was more my own poor insight of the game back then. I had no clue what a good build would be.)
But the thought of finishing the Paladin faster is a good point. Thanks. ^^

Welcome to the active side of the forum! Be sure to join the Untwinked 99er thread, I have heard that it is loads of fun.

HA!!!! Take that @T72on1!
Thank you.
I will probably still "lurk" alot, but mainly since I will not always have time to type. I also can't stand to type on my cell, and I spend a fair amount of time locked down with just one hand free.

As for the 99'er challenge... I rarely make Mat/Pat before I tire with a character. Without the biannual reset, that might be better. But I will have so little playtime, so I donno. Appreciate the invite though.

Welcome. You'll adjust to your wonderful new time-sink (child) soon enough, and find ways to carve out little chunks of time to play here and there. Many of us have kids and careers now, so trust me that it's possible :). I myself work full time and have three children aged 4, 2, and 1, but I still manage to participate in the forum and kick out a new Mat/Pat thread every couple of months. Sure, some weeks I don't even sniff free time, but some weeks I can get several hours of D2 in.

Welcome! Make sure to hide your grand-prize wallet well, your daughter could be angry once she finds out a ball of fur took possession of Dad's savings :-*

Welcome. You'll adjust to your wonderful new time-sink (child) soon enough, and find ways to carve out little chunks of time to play here and there. Many of us have kids and careers now, so trust me that it's possible :). I myself work full time and have three children aged 4, 2, and 1, but I still manage to participate in the forum and kick out a new Mat/Pat thread every couple of months. Sure, some weeks I don't even sniff free time, but some weeks I can get several hours of D2 in.
Thank you. While I know all this logically, it is always good to hear it from someone in a similar situation. And the thought of several hours of play some weeks... A father can dream. :p

Welcome !! Nice intro thread I must say.

@smloeffelholz Yummie.
Thanks. I did take a sneak peek at the 99er challenge, and I see there is no Amazon up there. Tempting...

Welcome! Make sure to hide your grand-prize wallet well, your daughter could be angry once she finds out a ball of fur took possession of Dad's savings :-*
It will be a few years before she cares about the first set and unique I find. And hopefully I will have earned enough goodwill by then to be forgiven.

Welcome! Nice to see you take time to prepare properly, but just know that such preparations are all moot when applied to those of us used to dealing with act3 temple stair-traps... allow me to demonstrate:

*shoves @Kitteh into @Kartongen at pocket-level*
*waits for snapping, hissing, and yells to subside*
*extracts wallets*
(in this example @Kitteh plays the part of both merc and decoy, let's give a hand to such a talented dupe assistant!)

Robbing newbies like a baus! :cool:

It's important for people to earn their stripes :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High