I need some help recovering my characters please!

Jamie

Dec 27, 2012
I have been playing single player on patch 1.13d. I upgraded it to the latest patch 1.14d just a moment ago.

Now I can't access any of my single player characters anymore. They still show up in the save folder, but when I click on single player in game, it instructs me to start a new char and there are none listed anymore.

The other day I had one disappear even though it still showed up in the save folder. I didn't fret over it because it was just a level 1. That character still showed up in the save files, it just didn't show up in the actual game. In fact, it still shows up now with all the characters I lost today.

Can somebody please help me with how to get my characters to show back up in the Game? They are all still in the save folder so I hope they aren't completely gone. I just can't figure out how to access them in game. I'm not good with computers these days :(

Thank you for any help! Much appreciated!

They changed the save path in 1.14 to "C:\<user name>\Saved Games\Diablo II"

It should have migrated the characters. You can move them manually or, if you want to retain the old save path, do this in regedit:
HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II
- NewSavePath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\save"
To get the old path back.

They changed the save path in 1.14 to "C:\<user name>\Saved Games\Diablo II"

It should have migrated the characters. You can move them manually or, if you want to retain the old save path, do this in regedit:
HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II
- NewSavePath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\save"
To get the old path back.

When I go to the saved games\Diablo II folder, it only has my characters from online. There are no single player characters.

All of my single player characters are in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\save folder like they normally are.

I don't understand what this regedit is, I've seen it mentioned before, but I can't seem to find what you guys are talking about lol.

Thank you for the help!

You can transfer them from the save folder to your saved games\Diablo II folder. I prefer the old path though. You can get back the path easily by doing this:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II]
"Save Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Diablo II\\Save\\"
"NewSavePath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Diablo II\\Save\\"
Copy and paste that into a text file and save it as "d2save.reg". Now double click and you will have the old path back :)

You can transfer them from the save folder to your saved games\Diablo II folder. I prefer the old path though. You can get back the path easily by doing this:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II]
"Save Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Diablo II\\Save\\"
"NewSavePath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Diablo II\\Save\\"
Copy and paste that into a text file and save it as "d2save.reg". Now double click and you will have the old path back :)

BRO! You don't know how thankful I am for you! I've been searching online for awhile and have asked for help and could not figure it out. Thank you so much!

Edit: Just out of curiosity, do you know why one character doesn't show up anymore in my single player character screen, but still shows up in the save file with all of the same files as every other character. That one is weird. Not a huge deal, but there is some stuff on there I wouldn't mind getting back lol

Last edited:
Well there's usually seven files for each character. (.ma0, .ma1, .ma2, .ma3, .d2s, .key, .map)
The .d2s is your character's save file. So you may have only moved the other files over? I would double check both save paths, make sure everything is in one folder.

For the character that seemed to vanish, it was before I downloaded 1.14 and is still gone since you told me how to redirect my path. All of the save files are there.. every single one that every other character that still shows up has. That's why I can't seem to figure out how it vanished lol.

Well if indeed the "Char.d2s" file is in the right path, the only answer would be the character is corrupt. Not sure how that could have happened.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High