How can you all have that much STUFF?! O.o

zarniwoop

Jan 10, 2006
How can you all have that much STUFF?! o_O

This is a question I must ask to sate my curiosity.

I started about a week ago for this ladder, and I have war travs and a mal rune. some nice tri-resist boots and really, that's it.

Crazy Payne posted a trade list a few days ago. Other notables have posted theirs also. My FACE almost split as my jaw dropped. We all know they are legit players. Not a question in any way about that.

My question is, am I doing something wrong?

I mean he had 4 griffons, 3 CoAs, Fathom, like 12 pcombs, etc...

Is the way to that sort of wealth playing with 8 trusted players? Do vastly better things drop frequently? THAT frequently? Or does it take a number of people pooling resources?

I am not complaining or anything else. I was just truly SHOCKED that a legit player could amass that so quickly and I want to figure out what I need to do differently.

Thanks =)

Z

Re: How can you all have that much STUFF?! o_O

Are you sure that was on ladder?
I would have thought that was NonLadder list.

Anyway.... intensity of play is much more important than real time passed.

I'm not based in the US, but isn't it summer holidays now? So if you're a student then you can basically play 24/7 except sleep and meals (I was there once)

I've been playing again for a few weeks (low intensity only lvl42 sorc) and all I have is venom ward. My sorc is basically using blues. Haven't even scrounged up the runes to make insight or spirit!?! :thumbup:

The latest trade list from CP seems to be from May, with the last post in there being from June 5th. His last posting in these forums involving a ladder trade was from June 5th as well, that's well before the reset.

Which posting are you exactly talking about ?

24/7 it would have been impossible for my to amass 1/30th of his list.

Maybe it was NL. I'm not sure.

Regardless, there's tons of people with throngs of torches and other things. Maybe that's the trick. But that would take a LOT of torches. =P

Hmmm, you appear to be correct. Must have been slow to be within the first few pages when I looked.

Okay, ignore that for a second, although it would be interesting to know how far up he is already. Just because he's an example of the best here.

But, there ARE people (say like Gorash), with a ton of stuff already. And I'm sure there are others.

The question still stands in general. Does the loot itself get found in masses like that by some trick or do people run 100 torches and use those to get the things they really want?

* inappropriate rant deleted, sorry... *

Hmm, I overlooked the previous post, probably because I needed a bit time to write the original version of this this - I'm currently at work :rolleyes:

I think it can be acquired fastest by efficient trading.

Agreed.

With emphasis on efficient.

You need to MF consistently for hours in order to become wealthy. I played for 3 weeks now ever since i reinstalled and I have become pretty rich doing my own runs and knowing how to trade.

me too, I mf'ed with a sorc first, then build a barb for Nihl runs and torches solo eventually.

Got me stuff like Tals plate, eth reaver, shako, arach x 2 (these from Meph and Pits). Got an anni from an arach + an Um + 2 20 life sc. 14 res all 42 life GC ( I cubed from baal charm), 2 Oaths in eth Balrog blades (Barb got Ist on hf, traded for 2 Mal, then traded the rest) and last night a 20/19 Barb torch :D.

Then I got tradeables like Stormshield and facets and what else I found. Haven't really been trading upwards, I've been paying for what I need.

It's not just about running meph 24/7 I'd say. For me it's been Countess, steady Pul income from 3 keys, only runes she's given me :) and Mephi and then the pit in +5 player games. Then atm also summoner with sorc, and I run Nihla with my frenzy barb. I've been crafting caster Amus all along, not with much success there yet. Crafting rings now too for a dual leech for my Barb hopefully.

So I feel im steadilly increasing my wealth from wholesome legit and focused playing :).

Like everybody said, efficient trading. I'm pretty sure I'd be reasonably well off if I played much. Before my USEast accounts expired I had a hammerdin with 8(?) pallycombats GC, anni.

Also had a summoner with anni, beast, enigma, arach, maras. Geez I'm beginning to miss them.

To be entirely honest I never did much MFing. I only really liked doing Cow level, I absolutely detested doing meph. Baal I could handle because the WSK maps are less frustrating. But I collected Pgems and rolled GCs for skillers. Through cows you get lot of pgems and while many of my characters had skillers, I never traded for a single one. I pick up cracked archon plates and repair them w cube recipe, hoping for good def roll, then I socket with larzuk who wd give 3 socks (only after repair) and I can sell that for a lot on bnet.

I crafted amulets regularly by trading lower uniques for pgems and rals. good ones can fetch you a bit.

Gamble circlets and coronets for +3 caster skill tree +20 FCR.

So yes you can accumulate legit wealth without boring yourself to tears.

Hmmm, you appear to be correct. Must have been slow to be within the first few pages when I looked.

Okay, ignore that for a second, although it would be interesting to know how far up he is already. Just because he's an example of the best here.

But, there ARE people (say like Gorash), with a ton of stuff already. And I'm sure there are others.

The question still stands in general. Does the loot itself get found in masses like that by some trick or do people run 100 torches and use those to get the things they really want?

Nobody in particular, just a general comment here. But let us not be so naive to think that some players are not taking certain shortcuts.

Fact of the matter is there are people that do MF runs with a full game..except they are the only person really in the game. So you see..their drops will always be significantly higher and better.

Let us also consider that others may very well be running bots by now, 24/7. I remember last ladder certain players seemingly able to have 2-3 new Hoz's per week? Now at another trade site, there was a guy that came out of nowhere that had this nice godly list. And just about each week it would be re-filled with Arachs, Hoz, Andys, etc...

Do I think for a moment he just has spectacular luck? At another trade site that shall we say has less "rules" about what is posted, someone freely admitted how they come across so many annis. Basically they buy up mass quantities of SOJs (all legit of course...not), load up 10-12 chars in set IP's along with their friends, and organize a mass SOJ selling. Does anyone think that people that have mass amounts of Annis every few weeks are getting this all by pure chance?

So let's not be so naive. Yes, there are many that have good luck, spend hours MFing, and just generally work hard. But sadly, there are many that partake in shortcuts that you will never be able to compete with.

Let me state for the record that I do not believe for one moment that anyone mentioned by name, or anyone on these boards is using anything not above the level. I would not have posted. I probably worded it poorly. The thought seriously never entered my mind nor was it my intent anyone get that impression.

I was more interested in what manner in which people MF/amass. Was it player 8 games mfing or was it more on the lines of just being really good at trading, and/or using torches as the basis of building up wealth.

If this is at all unclear, I'd just as soon the thread be deleted because the last thing I want to do is to have anyone misunderstand my intended question.

Let me state for the record that I do not believe for one moment that anyone mentioned by name, or anyone on these boards is using anything not above the level. I would not have posted. I probably worded it poorly. The thought seriously never entered my mind nor was it my intent anyone get that impression.

I was more interested in what manner in which people MF/amass. Was it player 8 games mfing or was it more on the lines of just being really good at trading, and/or using torches as the basis of building up wealth.

If this is at all unclear, I'd just as soon the thread be deleted because the last thing I want to do is to have anyone misunderstand my intended question.

I understand completely what your saying. I just simply wanted to point out in general terms that not everything is equal, meaning players that spend their time MF'ing to still be consistently "poorer" than others. I know you were not referring to anyone in particular here, neither was I. But each time the ladder resets there are always threads by people asking how to get rich, how do others get rich, etc..What I wanted to express is simply that there are certain players that their wealth is built upon shall we say more nefarious means.

Maybe just a little relaxation and a walk in the woods instead of a rage of envy and a
strong sense of injustice. Sort of like TV, thank goodness you can turn the dang thing
off (saves energy too). I am always surprised at the wealth of others and the feelings it
stirs in me whether here or in the 'real' world (what's that?). Patience, experience and
the sense of occupying the 'high moral ground' are tactics. The global strategy is to just
not invest emotionally, at all.

bob

Well I didn't think you were attacking anybody. Its just a regular "what am I doing wrong?" thread, where somebody is lamenting their lack of or relative lack of luck, and wondering what they might not be doing.

Since high end runewords were invented, the strangest things are valuable.
Back in 04 (not sure abt now), an eth zerker could fetch more than the runes to make botd in it on USEASTNL.

Its not enough to look out for gold and green items anymore.

Rares and certain blues can be insanely expensive.

You just wanted to know which to pick up and look at is all....

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High