Have you transferred your legacy characters to D2R?

Have you transferred your legacy characters to D2R?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

J-Dog

Jul 19, 2017
I did after reaching level 95 with hammerdin. First I thought I wouldn't but 2022 is shaping up to be a busy year so I realized I didn't have the motivation to grind LK for example to make Infinity and what not. So this is my confession.

I'll breathe new life into the old characters - 9 chars between levels 92-94 - after 2.4 hits. Also grail hunt looks quite a lot more feasible again 😅

Interested in hearing people's choices and thoughts on this. So:
nimetön.png

This is great :cool:

To be clear, for me forwarding is about items, maybe SC characters. HC characters are from specific goals or tournaments, and their careers are somehow complete when Guardian.

I will only forward items if I have at least one kept in 1.14D.

For many situations, 1.14D is still more efficient for me, and well it IS stable and definitive...I wouldn't want to have my much built PitZerker being destroyed by any bug or so-called balance update, it would be a loss that could hit too hard.

I will probably forward characters, like one of my bowazons, necro, barbarian if I ever get a third one (I will have the second being a Travincal runner in 1.14D), I can already move a Paladin if I feel so...

But for now, D2R is still about untwinked runs/tournaments, and that's more often HC than not so...I keep things separated. Even the Anni/Torch call is not enough to force the move!

I played mostly 1.13c SC before, but transitioned to mainly HC nowadays, so D2R is a fresh start for me, and I don't plan on transferring any of the SC chars over.
In addition I plan on playing on Switch and PC, with two UT99 projects for now.
I really like the addition of Annihilus and Torches and never really was much of a Bnet player, so it will be my first time facing the Ubers, apart from non forum allowed ways I experimented with Ubers for a short time.

I really hope they introduce some kind of grail into D2R, maybe something like Kanai Cube from D3, where you can see what you have found and what is still missing.

I was excited with the announcement of D2R but wasn't planning in trying it as I was one of those who said that could live without the fancy graphics. But D2R did more than just improving the graphics.
I haven't moved all my characters yet but I will do it eventually as I progress with each one.
The three main reasons that I was convinced to do it:

1. D2R is awesome in every aspect. Very fresh, beautiful and most importantly true to the original.
2. Torch and Anni can help you develop your characters to their maximum potential.
3. Plenty QoL features. It's very satisfying to have them and once you have experienced them, it's hard going back.

Reactions: snickersnack
I voted "no" but it's not quite straight-forward.

Having started HC not long before D2R came around, I figured I'll just continue by HC journey in D2R and transferred all HC characters (except for untwinked 99er HC Barb, but he will probably follow). Other than that, in SC I only transferred a Smiter for Torch farming and a Bear Sorc to have some fun with ridiculous LCS damage. :D

Everything else and thus the vast majority of my chars will remain in D2L, probably forever. That's mostly because I'm a big fan of optimizing characfters and specific runs for max efficiency, and for that D2R is just trash honestly. Moreover, convenient things for tracking efficiency, like boss kill run counter, don't work in D2R. The whole "lab aspect" of D2L is basically not present in D2R.

For me, D2R is really more a casual game to "have fun with" and I do enjoy making progress in HC there. But for anything related to "serious farming" I'll stick to D2L... I don't have high hopes that Blizzard will (or even can) significantly improve loading times, and with some of the upcoming balance changes I fear that it will end up being a different game than the D2 we all know and love.. but that remains to be seen.

Nope!

I haven't transferred any characters or items, and am quite sure that I won't. I've been having quite a bit of fun rebuilding my empire from the ground up, and am getting quite a bit of satisfaction from knowing that everything that I have in D2R is native to D2R.

If/when they start changing the stats on items I can see how the temptation might increase ... But, I'm not going to do it! When I got back into D2 (mid 2020), I decided I was going to learn from what I considered to be my previous mistakes, and not bring items out of their native patches. (Stuff like making 1.10+ Runewords in 1.07 bases was fun at first ... but ruined the game for me in the end ... )

For me, D2R will always be present patch only!

Last edited:
I have kept them separate so far, but the bank of items I've accumulated and built since 2003 are tempting me. I probably will cave and transfer the items and continue on with the grail, runeword grail, getting my one necro to 99, etc. I don't see enough playing time in my future to get those items again (Enigma, Infinity, etc).

I didn't transfer any items and will probably leave it at that. I will mostly use D2R for my UT99er and tournament characters.

I will maybe continue some of my old tournament characters in D2R - I haven't thought it through yet :)

I am debating though, if I should simply count my 1.14 grail and my D2R grail together for the perfect grail instead of having separate grails...Not sure though how that would be viewed by the community? At least it was perfectly reasonable for people to say "1.10+" in the version status of their grail, so why not "1.10+/D2R"?

I've only moved a couple of items forward (I remember the 1.07 GPA for Infinity specifically), but that's all.

The main reason that I haven't moved anything else is that they may change D2R enough that I don't like the game and I won't move all of my items into a patch with that uncertainty. I'm not too pessimistic in that I don't expect that'll happen, but I'd rather enjoy the fun of starting mostly from scratch than risk losing all of my accumulated items to a patch I don't like.

If I get too impatient with unique farming, I may move some items that I have multiples of into D2R (Goreriders comes to mind...) and I may move some characters just to save time on levelling new ones in D2R. I have a 1.09 Ravenclaw, so 1.14d is the best place for me to level new twinked characters.

Reactions: SevenArkZ
No mostly cos new laptop new D2 essentially ;)

I could if i wanted dig out the files from the old laptops i guess but i see nothing wrong with starting from scratch with funky new graphics

I haven’t moved anything. A big part of that is just laziness. I know I’ve got the old files somewhere, but I’m enjoying untwinked play right now, so I don’t have much incentive to look for them.

As of this minute I haven't moved anything. When I have Infinity in D2R I may move in a few builds and items for questing, but I want to be able to play with all my key items in 1.14d still (PvP, PvM MP groups, MF tournaments etc)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High