Guardian #6, Bao-Dur the Trang's Poison/Summon necro

Darkoooo

Jan 14, 2007
Guardian #6, Bao-Dur the Trang's Poison/Summon necro

Normal & Nightmare
Like many have, I also made the mistake of maximizing the skellies first and then investing points into Nova and it’s synergies at lvl 30. This made him a regular fishymancer until lvl ~45 where he equipped Trang’s gloves and White wand. Since that moment Nova had no troubles taking out any monsters (except those PI skellies due to not having any –% PR).

Act 1
Rushed him to Outer Cloister and at lvl 69 I began doing Pit runs. Stopped at lvl 80 to continue with questing. Re-equipped him as well, putting full trang’s set for the -% poison res and the other useful mods. Decided to go at /p1 to get to guardian faster even though he could manage /p3 hell creatures rather well.

Act 2
First major NDE in Act 2. Was feeling lazy and couldn’t stand walking through Maggot Lair so i decided to teleport (with Naj’s), one boss pack amp’ed be and then i tele’d into a champ (or boss, i didn’t stick around to see). In a milisecond my life dropped, but was able to somehow hit a juvie and tele the hell out of there. This is a typical example of the carnage a psn/summonancer can do.

Act 3
Nothing really special about this one, was done in half an hour (teleing through the dungeons).

Act 4
Some very exciting moments here. Plain of Despair spawned with gloams, on two occasions I had to go back to town, resurrect my merc and raise the army. First time when a boss pack of gloams spawned near a boss pack of Doom Knights and champ pack of Pit Lords. Second time is a conviction boss pack of Gloams (took that screenie and ran away like a little girl). This is the first time I wished I had some Hexing GCs cause the radius of DV is really small. Chaos Sanctuary was easy, thought Pit Lords would be PI but it turns out they’re just FI.

Act 5
Only one small NDE where I tele’d into Eyeback’s gang but juvies saved me. Crystalline Passage spawned Gloams, melting my meat shield. Ancients were a pushover (decrepify ftw.). ToD also spawned Gloams, this time with a non breakable immunity and a bunchload of them in the actual throne. DV proved it was one of the best crowd control skills. Baal was easy but it took a long time to kill him.

Bao-Dur – LCS

Stats:
Strength: 95
Dexterity: 164 (max block with an eld’ed Homunculus)
Vitality: 221
Energy: Base

Skills:
Max Poison Nova, Poison Explosion, Poison Dagger, Raise Skeleton
1 point in Skeleton Mastery, Clay Golem, Summon resist, all curses (except two)

Equipment:
Helm: Trang’s
Amulet: Rare (1 Necro skills, res and some life)
Weapon: White (+3 Pnova Ghost Wand)
Armor: Trang’s
Shield: Trang’s
Gloves: Trang’s
Belt: Trang’s
Boots: Waterwalks
Ring1: SoJ
Ring2: Raven Frost

Merc – Azrael – Might merc
Helm: Rockstopper
Armor: Shaftstop
Weapon: Eth Bonehew (Hel+Amn)

Finds:
NM HF – Lem (will come handy for a GF barb in plan)
Hell HF – Ko
Pits – Occy, Lo
Coral SC of Sustenance (9 lres, 11 life)
Plains of Despair – Ist

Plans:
He’s going to be my main Pit runner, I like the safety behind the skeletons and the power of Poison Nova coupled with the fact that there aren’t any poison immunes in Pits.

Impressions:
Very safe and very powerful build. Too bad I don’t have any necro skillers atm to make him even more powerful. Only thing is that skeletons are very fragile due to the low point investment, but they can hold their ground in the pits. Of course they can’t kill anything but that’s why there’s Poison Nova. Now he’s due for a change in equipment, gonna miss the ugly vampire.

Last edited:
Re: Guardian #6, Bao-Dur the Trang's Poison/Summon necro

Nice build. I will build a summon/poison hybrid myself when I manage to get that DWeb :whistling: (and that Enigma :crazyeyes:). Points are tight, but with high-end equipment you can manage killer PNova, durable skellies, nice radius CE and even an Insight IG with around 5K HP. IMO it's an underused powerbuild which can also MF very well in the Pits.

BTW Marrowwalk, if you have it, will boost skeleton mastery nicely by 2 points

Thanks for the answers :thumbup:

Nice build. I will build a summon/poison hybrid myself when I manage to get that DWeb :whistling: (and that Enigma :crazyeyes:). Points are tight, but with high-end equipment you can manage killer PNova, durable skellies, nice radius CE and even an Insight IG with around 5K HP. IMO it's an underused powerbuild which can also MF very well in the Pits.

It's certainly viable without all those equipment. -%PR has little effect in Pits since there are no Poison Immunes. Enigma would be nice but you can just use Naj's for the occasional teleport to reposition your army. Sure would be great to have all that though :nod:

BTW Marrowwalk, if you have it, will boost skeleton mastery nicely by 2 points

Thing is I was using Waterwalk's for the dexterity since I wasn't able to get max block with Trang Oul's shield. Now he's equipped with items I planned to use (~300 MF :p).

DWeb is certainly not a requirement, I am sure you can get good results even with a Blackbog's on the Pits. But -%PR will boost damage a lot. Even assuming 0 base PR on a monster (which is the worst case scenario for damage boost by -PR), -PR from DWeb boosts damage from 160%*X (assuming ~60% -PR from Lower Resist) to 200%*X, X being the LCS value.

What is your MF setup? I am thinking the usual combo of Shako+Skullder's+WarTravs+Gheeds for ~300 MF.

DWeb is certainly not a requirement, I am sure you can get good results even with a Blackbog's on the Pits. But -%PR will boost damage a lot. Even assuming 0 base PR on a monster (which is the worst case scenario for damage boost by -PR), -PR from DWeb boosts damage from 160%*X (assuming ~60% -PR from Lower Resist) to 200%*X, X being the LCS value.

Yep. However beggars can't be choosers :wink:

What is your MF setup? I am thinking the usual combo of Shako+Skullder's+WarTravs+Gheeds for ~300 MF.

It's along those lines. Except I use Tal's Armor instead of Skullder's for the extra res.

Nicely done Darkooo, looks like a great pit runner. I'm making mine with a single point in skeletons and mages, and then maxing SM to toughen them up. I guess I could go with a point into Revive as well, but it annoys me how often they get lost.

I'm not sure how you use your eld Homunculus while you are wearing the full set. Do you tele around with it and then switch to vampire form for battles?

Nicely done Darkooo, looks like a great pit runner. I'm making mine with a single point in skeletons and mages, and then maxing SM to toughen them up. I guess I could go with a point into Revive as well, but it annoys me how often they get lost.

I'm not sure how you use your eld Homunculus while you are wearing the full set. Do you tele around with it and then switch to vampire form for battles?

Actually Trang Oul's set was only his questing equipment, he was primarily built to be a pit runner wearing among other things an eld'ed Homunculus. That's why I didn't achieve max block with Trang's shield. Run times are 5 minutes on average, ~300 MF on /p3 and full clears (not like you have much choice with no Enigma) with 7-9 boss packs.

Im doing a poison/summon necro in my untwinked septative, and its defenetly a viable build untwinked, atleast through normal and nightmare, I havent tried hell with him yet.
sure without +p dmg/-p resist gear poison isnt that powerfull, but I use it mostly as a second curse, to stop regen and do some dmg on weak mobs

OnT: grats on the Guardian

Congrats on the Guard and very nicely done, when You've escaped from this deadly Lair situation...

And btw i love the char name, its from Kotor, right?Great RPG, very nice story...

Congratulations! I'm a fan of hybrids characters. I like their resourcefulness.

I have a Trang's Poison Necro with Revives for meat shields and it works nicely. Fire skills and merc work great on Poison Immunes (that LR doesn't break)

Once again congratz on the Guardian! :thumbup:

I'm currently building one of these. You think it would work alright with 20 RS/SM and the rest in poison skills? I'm much more geared as a summon necro right now. AoKL not a white wand. Suppose its still viable? Much like yourself, I expect him to end his career in the pits.

Thanks guys.

@RIP
Yep it's from Kotor. Hope there'll be another sequel :afro:

@Ashmer

There's a good amount of info in Low Key's pat thread. I'd agree with Low Key and say that it really isn't worth investing too much in Skeletons. Their damage just can't compare to Poison Nova's (at least in Pits). However they provide a decent tank. It is viable, just that you will have better survivability at the cost of dealing damage.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High