Fastest build to get to lvl 40 on players 8

Albatross

Apr 27, 2009
Fastest build to get to lvl 40 on players 8

I did my first hellforge self rush today and the most time consuming part was leveling one sorceress to 40 (the getting to level 25 part, rest was "fast").

Any class, any build.. I don't have a 1.07 Raven and I don't have an enchantress, what should I do then?

I need at least 2 more rushes and would like to make them less painful :)

Btw. I got 1 Gul, 2 Um's, a Pul, 2 Ko's and an Io rune.. but was really after Ist's.

Re: Fastest build to get to lvl 40 on players 8

fire druid with good twinking gear. spam fissure and gain exp

If you are planning to do this more often it's really worth it to build an Enchantress. If you already have a sorc at 40, you have done the biggest part (unless you already made something out of her).

Fire druid, never really played those, I'll try that next time.

Well.. I kinda put points into FO and cold skills mostly, had to level somehow. I can continue leveling my, hopefully soon to be, Tal Sorc and max her FM, then use Demon Limb, that should be enough, no?

The damage of a Demon Limb is not really impressive. Without Warmth synergy you are maybe talking about 300-400 damage. I guess you could get by on it, but a normal Enchantress would reach 1500 without much of a sweat.

I like assassins because of Burst of Speed. Available early, doesn't take much mana, and speeds up your attacks and your movement (works in town too).

I have an Enchantress for my rushing, but if I didn't I'd probably go with a BoS/CoT assassin. BoS and normal attacks will be enough to get you through Act1 quickly, which should get you about to the point where you have access to Claws of Thunder - which should provide adequate damage to keep you moving through the rest of Normal quite well.

Although sorc's teleport and damage is nice after a while, building them to the point they have both reliably takes too long, in my opinion.

I have made some research in this

Assassin
Burst of Speed lvl 20
dump all stats in vita
Raven claw (Explosive dmg)
buff with Enchantress

If you want to go higher like lvl 60
I would go
20 Teleport
20 Fire Mastery (Yes it do increase the fire damage when another sorc buffs you)
Raven claw
Increase attack speed gear

The damage of a Demon Limb is not really impressive. Without Warmth synergy you are maybe talking about 300-400 damage. I guess you could get by on it, but a normal Enchantress would reach 1500 without much of a sweat.

It should be enough. I only need it until I can get a decent AoE spell.

@sir
Since I'm planning on doing 2 more rushes I could try both the druid and the assassin.

How do traps work? I've seen Wake of Fire used in a speedrun, but that was done on p1..

And how long does it take you, on average, to get to level 40 in an 8 player game?

(I'm rereading the twink section in your guide now, great write up, thanks for putting it all down, especially the mandatory quests part)

Edit:
@Megalomania
I have a feeling my poor enchant won't do enough damage later on :) and I don't suppose Death Sentry scales that well with player number.

I've checked out traps and the mana costs seems to high and the damage to low for p8 rushing(I know trapsins are awesome otherwise).

Last edited:

I like Paladins because of Vigor, Holy Fire and Holy Shock. Vigor is available later than BoS though, but HF is a killer early on.

About the levelling: Till level 16 it's probably best to run Tristram, from level 30 on you can run Normal Eldritch and/or Pindle till 40 quite easily.

Good luck!:thumbup:

I've done probly a dozen sets of 1.12a HF rushes. Maybe more then that. Get yourself a .07/.09 Ravenclaw. Thats the best thing you could do for yourself. Mal + Pul is the standard price I think, and its worth every bit of it. You can play pretty quickly though the first act, and can hit 25 in the second act without much trouble. Once you hit level 25 you can semi rush the guy. Send the level 25 guy through acts 3 and four. Kill the ancients, that will get you to 26 or 27. Then gain the rest of your levels from baals minions. Its pretty standard to gain ~ 1 level per run. Thats how I do it. Level seven guys to 25. Rush those 7 to 38 at baals minions. You don't actually have to get to 40 in normal. Your going to be killing baals minions again for the quest, so if you stop at 38, your still doing one more "baal run." And you should gain exp in several places in nightmare. More then enough to get you to level 40. Normal Baal, NM Andy, Summoner (maybe), Council (maybe), NM Meph, Diablo. And if you think its going to be a close call on the exp front, you can have the level 38 guy be around when you clean out the Chaos Sanctuary. Assassin all the way. Burst of speed > Teleport in this case because a lot of what you do is running around town.

I have a little problem understanding this.

I remember back when i played on Battlenet, it was common practice to bug the ancients quest and rush lvl 1 chars. Is this not possible in single player or is it not accepted here ?

Questbugging requires at least one char to get the quest. You still need a level 40 char for NM Baal.

It is possible, but 1 character needs to be in the WS Chamber when Baal dies for the party to get credit for killing Baal. You can leave the other 6 characters at level 1, but the last one needs to have finished the Ancients quest in order to get down there.

Edit:
@Megalomania
I have a feeling my poor enchant won't do enough damage later on :) and I don't suppose Death Sentry scales that well with player number.

You only need a lvl 40 enchantress max warmth and enchant, the use :
Magefist
Hexfire (sword)
Sigons Guard
+3 fire skills ammy and circlet
+1 skills armor (there are tons of them)

I will hit maybe 1k fire damage when buffing, which is more than enought for normal!

But If you trade getting that bugged Ravenclaw is a good thing even if you level that enchantress up.

@Ashmer
I usually level to 25..somewhere, then get 26 on Shenk and from 26 to 35 its Eldricht, very fast.. then I go for WSK and minions to get the last few, but the issue is getting to that magic level 25 :)

I guess I'll have to get the Raven hehe, but if I can manage a 1k Enchant it won't be necessary.

Enchant damage is carried over by the explosions, right?

Just by running down the path in A1 and only killing boss packs should get you to about level 15-16 when you finish the act. If you have the magic Raven Claw, you'll probably hit 25 somewhere in A3 if you're only doing the minimum requirements. If you are rerunning targets, Izual is probably the best source of experience from 21 to 25 on P8 (Static Field anyone??).

I think the key to going fast though is not to waste time on things that don't give experience. Just skip everything and only try to kill boss-packs.

Then P8 Baal runs will get you from 30 to 40 in no time at all.

I don't know if this will fit your hellforge rushing motif, but recently I made this sorceress because I installed D2 on a new computer and wanted to play Hardcore. This requires killing Baal in normal first, which I wanted to accomplish as quickly as possible. With no gear at all, I made a Fireball sorceress. You can even pump firebolt at the beginning, level one, then switch to fireball at level 12. Don't forget static and teleport, of course. Buying a nice base for a leaf staff is not at all hard from Drognan, and normal becomes really easy when you're doing close to 1k damage (or more) at level 30.

So I did this completely untwinked, and hunting for items (full clears towards the beginning), in several hours of gameplay. I'm sure you could tweak the idea to make it a bit faster ;)

You only need a lvl 40 enchantress...
+3 fire skills ammy and circlet....

These pieces require level45 minimum (which would enable you to add plain skillers too), but otherwise I like your suggestion.

(you could also make 'Enlightenment' to access a +2 armour at level45 too; I'm not sure a Pul's worth it though)

I will hit maybe 1k fire damage when buffing, which is more than enought for normal!

I agree that the damage is sufficient for normal, but increasing duration is an underrated advantage to encouraging as many +skills as possible on an enchantress, in my opinion. Longer duration = more time spent questing. And some things like Ormus Robes (if you've got one) and Spirit shields aren't available early on.

Also, the extra damage from a full-blown enchantress does help somewhat on act bosses & WSK/Baal runs. So in my opinion there's little reason to stop an Enchantress at level40.

Thanks for all the help guys. Yesterday I've finished my second self rush with a nice 2 hour improvement (from a very slow 6:30 to an acceptable 4:30).

It would have been faster if I didn't go with a sorc for my rush leader, again. Yeah, I have to rebuild my meteorb since I was trying out some build with HH's Glory instead of Spirit to save points in str, but in the end it wasn't all that great. Enchant damage was also a lowish 370 avg.

Some more OT about the Tal meteorb build I tried:

That 1 point nova seemed like a good idea, but turned out that its damage is really low (even with a l2 LR wand).. I'm not sure should I put one point in it again. After all its just one point and beats standing still doing nothing or TKing like mad against dual immunes.

The idea of having a lot of defense was cool and looking at an impressive 9500+ on my sorc was nice, but in the end not that useful :) Holy Freeze is much better and helps my low damage merc survive. In the end I gave him a low ed Woestave, Guardian Angel and Kiras (will be replaced with something more useful when he gets his own resists higher). Although he had no leech nothing could harm him much, everything was slowed and the high resistances took care of the rest. And vs one monster, Woestave really shines and surpasses Kelpie.

End of OT.

I got 2 Ists (what I was after) and some more nice runes and for now I'm done with rushing. It seems I'd need to do 90ish rushes.. to cube up to Jah and I'd like to have a Jah cuz one day I'd like to make a Dream sorc, but just thinking about cubing 2 bers and a lo, ohm.. thats Coh, half an Infinity, Fortitude, CtA..and 3 months of hell forge, dunno, doesn't seem like its worth it. I think I'll go with LK instead hehe. Ahh.. this was so easy when my friends were still playing :bored:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High