End of Days

jjscud

Aug 18, 2004
End of Days

If you've missed it, the Diablo 3 Beta is scheduled to start in 3rd quarter this year (July - Sept).

Obviously, everyone here is a huge, long time D2 fan but most are still anxiously awaiting D3. Personally, I'm still interested in hosting one more big tourney and having one last go at an MFO win (doubtful at the level they are being played these days). I'm sure many others have one or two last things they would like to do so I really hope this is informative to all.

So here's the question: [highlight]When do you plan to quit D2 for D3?[/highlight] As soon as the beta opens, release day, never... Please let us all know and share any thoughts you have.

Also, for simplicities sake, let just assume that Diablo 3 really is good and that we'll all have a chance to play the beta. Neither of those are a given, but lets keep it simple.

[highlight]Remember that the traditional Poll Roulette is still ongoing and make sure you come back to this thread before responding.[/highlight]

Last edited:
Re: End of Days

I keep coming back to D2 over and over again and probably will still in the future. As much as I will probably change over to D3 once it releases or if I'm lucky enough to Beta play, I see myself coming back to it in the future. I find that the case now that I'm playing SP and have started building up stashes rather than making Bnet chars that expire after time. Now I've got characters to come back to with gear to come back to that I don't have to worry about losing.

I've been long looking forward to playing D3 and will probably divert what time I spend playing D2 to it, but I definitely imagine that I will never be done with it as much as I go back to any of my old favorite games. There's always something about them that keep you coming back for more.

Even after the release of Oblivion I have still played a couple characters through Morrowind. Both games are great with their own sets of pros and cons.

I believe that it will be the same for D2 once D3 is released. I will probably take a nice long break from D2 upon release of D3 and then come back to it now and again to accomplish some goals I would still like to tackle.

I probably never will quit playing D2, definitely not for D3.

As it is with all new games, I'll probably play D3 through a few times and forget about it, older games are what I always come back to. Don't ask me why, though, they just seem a lot more fun.

Last edited:

Well, I've taken breaks from D2 now and again and I think I'm about as done with the game as I can be. That said, I do expect I'll play it occasionally for years to come. But nothing extensive any more. I haven't looked into D3 much yet, let alone the beta phase so I have no clue what one would need to do to get to play the beta. Personally I can wait for the full version. I'll take a look at release date but I fully expect it to suck balls. A few of the things I did read so far already tell me that it will not be my game but I guess I owe blizzard one "blind buy" after getting dragon age 2 from bioware. (AND MAY YOU BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY FOR THIS ABOMINATION YOU BASTARDS!!! Godamn you EA, stop buying and ruining the franchises / companies I enjoy. Can I file a restraining order against them somewhere? Can't they freaking stay with their sports games which I don't play?)

Last edited:

I don't see myself playing both. Once D3 comes out I'll stop D2 (may stop D2 for a little grace period before D3 comes out so the game feels fresh when I buy it). I think I'll like D3, but I'm not sure it will have the unbelievably massive replay value that D2 has. I've been taking the approach to D3 that I will stop reading about it and developing a preconceived notion of whether or not it will be good, and just buy it when it's out and play it with blissful ignorance. I've played D2 on and off for 10 years; it'd take a disaster of epic proportions to prevent me from buying the sequel.

I guess I'll toss in my response. I've basically quit D2 (and all video games :cry:) since I started school 9 months ago (only 3 months left). At this point I have the odd mix of desire to finish a number of goals but little interest in playing. In reality I'll probably start playing D3 as soon as I can and not stop until I'm done with it.

Having said that, I rarely (ok, never) get drawn in by a game's story line and only ever stick to games that I can go off and do my own thing. D2 has been great for this but not a lot of games are so I'm tempted to break my own assumptions and say there's a good chance D3 won't meet that as well and I may be back to D2.

Let me put it this way: Would I have been happy if I played D2 from Day One? Hell no.

I started playing D2 with 1.11b and I'm very happy about that. I will certainly give myself some time for things to settle down with D3 before venturing there, at all. Plus, I cannot afford a computer able to handle D3 at this point in time. Will wait until a normal kind of comp handles D3 with all the thingamajigs.

Unless D3 is terrible (like Dragon Age 2 terrible, I feel your pain NF), I'll probably switch over completely at launch. Although I imagine I'll go back to D2 every now and then for nostalgia purposes, similar to how I occasionally play a single player mission in Starcraft BW while playing SC2 extensively.

On a side note, is there any word on how one obtains a beta key?

I picked "I'll play both D3 and D2 after D3 is released". I am a fan of blizzard and I plan to buy and play every non MMORPG from them. But I don't see it interacting with my D2 since I don't see D3 as a replacement of D2. For D3 to replace D2 for me, it needs to have years of re-playability value AND a community like this one.

I'm in a huge need of stronger hardware, and if I manage to get one in reasonable time, I can only play D3 only occasionally when I'm home. Starting to outgrow good old game-nights.

Game industries can't do sequels even if their life depends on it (it does). /rant

Enough diablo for one lifetime I think. (why am I even paying this in the first place? :badteeth:)

I'm going to play D3 as soon as is possible. I have a bunch of pals across the country who were casually into D2 years ago, and many of them are anticipating D3 big time. So I'll probably play online with those folks as soon as it's released.

Hoping that D3 takes away any reason to ever have to play D2 again. If there is a vibrant single player community there and - gasp - no cheating or whatever online, then I'll play the heck out of D3 and not look back. That's what I'm hoping for.

I doubt I'll bother with the beta, even if I do get an invite, unless it's a significant chunk of the game. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks after it's released to see what it's like and then buy it. Can't see myself playing it as much as D2 though, simply because I already have too many games to play and not enough time. I may also find that I'm just bored of the gameplay style after waiting so long.

I fully intend to play d3 asap, I imagine I will play beta if given the chance. This also depends on my comp being able to handle it, and SP not being too nerfed. D3 deserves a blind buy IMO, I have looked at almost no info on d3 yet, besides releases and system requirements (which are not helpful) I want to enjoy and experience the game pretty blindly for the first time, I think games are better that way.

I do not plan on playing D3. That said, if an opportunity to do so fell into my lap, I would not pass it up (say, if a friend had it and let me take it for a while or something like that). D2 is my game. I have tried many others over the years and enjoyed them, but nothing compares to the inexplicable place D2 has as more or less dominating the entirety of my video gaming life.

Starting to outgrow good old game-nights.

I don't like reading this kinda stuff. Or like when you feel the D2 itch and go hunt for guides then someone a couple of miles down the road posts about how there is no point in D2 or something. But in the end they are kinda true! It is a sad thing growing older and nobody said anything about it.

There were many interesting and heartfelt comments here about games in general and D2/D3.

And for me this community has become a huge factor in making D2 a more enjoyable game so I hope D3 will follow suit.

It's possible that I'll fire up d2 for a few mins here and there forever, and I really haven't played much lately - but in theory I'll be putting it on the shelf for good when D3 goes retail. Not a fan of betas as that spoils the final product for me though, but so far D3 looks pretty good although they haven't given all that much info.

P.S. I'm one of the people who liked DA2 almost as much as DA1 (actually probably more, during my first playthrough, but agree that replay value of DA2 is much lower), so maybe I'm the odd one here.

I will almost definetely buy D3 as soon as it is released. I will probably still come back to Diablo 2, though it does depend on how good D3 is.

Edit: Just for reference I voted release day. I won't be playing Beta (unfortunately) as I am getting married in November and thus won't have much free time.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High