Diablo II: Resurrected Single Player FAQ

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
Here are some frequently asked questions about Diablo II: Resurrected compiled into one location for people looking to transfer over to the new version of the game. Well, it turned out to be not so much of a FAQ but more of an information dump that should answer most questions you have. If there are frequent questions I'm missing in here please let me know and I will update this list as soon as I am able.

For people new to the single player forum, please refer to the rules of the forum here: Single Player Rules (D2R Edition)

I. Quickstart - Starting in D2R and Transferring Characters/Items
  1. Characters from 1.14 (or whatever patch) can be transferred easily by dragging and dropping them into the D2R save folder located here: C:\Users\[yourusername]\Saved Games\Diablo II Resurrected, and then simply opening them in D2R. Please refer to the Rules for Time Travelers before transferring your characters forward. Characters and items have been transferring forward by players to D2R without any issues, but as always please make a backup of your character to avoid any problems before transferring as there have been some rare reports of items disappearing.
  2. Muling - @silospen has come out of retirement to bring us GoMule for D2 Resurrected. This will work great for any new characters made in D2R and any items dropped in D2R. For old characters brought forward, they must first be opened in D2R before muling items into the new gomule. Old .d2x gomule stashes from the old gomule require more work to bring forward, see the "IV. Muling" section in this guide below. One major difference with muling in D2R is that you must completely exit out of D2R before muling because D2R holds characters in memory between games and muling without exiting leads to duplicated items.
  3. No further programs or modifications should be needed (and none other are allowed), as Ladder only runewords/cube recipes, annihilus, and hellfire charms are now part of D2R by default (see II. General Changes in D2R).
  4. So Get Playing!

II. General Changes in D2R
Major changes:
  1. Annihilus Charm can be obtained in Single Player
    • Spawn Diablo Clone by selling a single Stone of Jordan to any vender
  2. Hellfire Torch can be obtained in Single Player
  3. Ladder-Only Runewords are now available in Single Player by default
  4. TCP/IP has been completely removed. There is no way for single player characters to play with other single player characters at this time.
  5. Auto Gold Pick-up can be enabled under Gameplay options.
    • This functions only when walking over gold piles.
  6. Advanced Stats Screen
    • can be accessed from character menu by clicking a little arrow on the right-hand side of the character screen.
  7. Stash size increased to 10x10 + Added 3 Shared Tabs
    • Each stash tab holds its own gold up to its own individual cap
    • Shared tabs can be used to transfer gold between characters
    • Venders will only pull gold from your personal stash
    • Dying will not remove gold from your shared stashes
    • Gheed's Fortune Grand Charm can be placed into shared stash tabs, allowing a character to pick up another Gheed's from the ground. If a character has Gheed's in its inventory, it won't be able to pick up the Gheed's in the shared stash tab.
    • Bug: When adding more gold than your stash can hold, no gold will be added, it will remain on your character. This is a change from the D2L behavior, in D2L it would auto-calculate the amount of gold and fill the stash up to its maximum
  8. Cow level lockout when killing cow king has been removed
  9. Gambling changes
    • Refresh button added to bottom of gambling UI
    • Buying an item from the gambling screen no longer removes that item from the screen, meaning you can gamble the same item type much more easily (i.e., circlets)
  10. Always show items
    • UI Option "Item Label Display" added under Gameplay options - switching to "Toggle" will allow players to always show items
  11. CTRL + Clicking items will drop them to the ground, or transfer item to stash/cube if stash/cube is open
Minor changes:
  1. More Details for Mercenary abilities in the Hireling Screen and Hiring interface
  2. Hold shift to compare items to equipped (no recommendations, just shows items side by side)
  3. Character selection screen has been changed to include both online and offline characters through tabs at the top of character list, and includes close-ups of your characters with current act backdrops.
  4. Items have new unique appearances on characters - sets/uniques have new unique appearances that are awesome
  5. Zoom in, in-game to see your character close up - keybind for this is in "Controls". You can control the amount of zoom by holding the zoom key and using mouse scroll wheel
  6. Wide-screen Support up to 19:9
  7. More Accessibility Options (controller support, change text size, colorblindness, adjust individual audio options)
  8. Increased overall map visibility. Better minimap. Additional automap opacity options.
  9. Optional toggle for "Miss" text to appear on monsters for better combat feedback.
  10. Added In-Game Clock (setting in options menu)

III. Bugs/Bugfixes
Section is a WIP (due to my own lack of knowledge, post below with more details please). Some of these may be planned changes that will stay, some may be fixed and have been reported repeatedly on the bug report forums.
  1. Ethereal Armor Bugging has been removed (This is a planned removal as far as it is known)
  2. /players settings will not persist between games
    • additionally, arrow keys will not type old messages in chat anymore
    • a workaround is to copy the player's settings you want to use, for example copy "/players 8" from your message window, then next game you can open messages, hit CTRL+V to paste it in and hit enter
  3. Cain identify will not identify items in your cube
  4. Sorceress' Cold Mastery skill can break cold immunities (fixed in patch)
  5. Weapon Swap Glitch has been fixed
  6. Strength bugging equipment onto your character has been fixed
  7. Traps on a trapsin will no longer "replace" boss pack spawns, meaning trapsins will have the same bosspack spawn behavior as all other characters now.
  8. "Next Hit Always Misses" (NHAM) bug has possibly been partially fixed due to updated netcode - this does effect single player.
  9. Holding the "Show Items" hotkey (default is alt key) no longer makes objects/monsters non-interactable (such as chests, sarcophaguses, and barrels).
    • Most common use was holding the alt key while teleporting to avoid accidentally interacting with objects interrupting your teleports. This is not possible in D2R at the current moment, you'll click on all of it :(
  10. Oblivion Knights in the Chaos Sanctuary can now cast Lower Resist (unknown if bug or intentional change)
  11. Unable to select "throw" skill unless a throwing weapon is actually equipped

IV. Muling

Download D2R GoMule By @silospen - https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/gomule-for-d2-resurrected.2202/

Does GoMule work with D2R?
- Yes. @silospen has released a new version compatible with D2R items/characters. Due to Diablo II: Resurrected holding your character in memory between games, you must fully exit D2R before muling. If you don't exit the game fully, the items you muled off your character will re-appear on your character when making a new game, so they will be in your gomule stash and on your character. D2R gomule is still a Work In Progress, so use with some caution. Link is here: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/gomule-for-d2-resurrected.2202/

Can I transfer my items from Diablo II Legacy characters and stashes?
- Yes, but not easily. Old stashes at the current moment can't be opened by new gomule. To transfer items to the new version of the game and the new gomule, you have to use the old gomule, put items onto a D2L character, and load that character once in D2R. After that you can mule items from that character into your new D2R gomule stashes. This means for the time being it's not practical to mule over thousands of items from D2L to D2R.

I was using PairofDoc's D2R GoMule to mule my D2R items and want to switch to @silospen's D2R gomule, can I do that easily?
- Yes. The stashes from these two programs are not compatible, so you need to load your items onto a character and save in pairofdocs gomule. Then go over to Silospen's gomule, load the character, pick up the items and put into a stash, save. Then repeat the process. You can have both versions of gomule running simultaneously and switch between them. Just be sure to save each time you swap between them to avoid duplicating any items as this is against forum rules.

V. Random Stuff You Should Know
Not listed in above sections but might otherwise be helpful

File Locations on your computer
  • Characters are saved by default at: C:\Users\[yourusername]\Saved Games\Diablo II Resurrected
  • Screenshots are saved by default at: C:\Users\[yourusername]\Documents\Diablo II\Screenshots
Can I change my Save file directory?
There is no longer a registry entry for the save path, so that method is not possible. You can however move the location of the Saved Game directory. This may affect other games that use this location. You may want to do this to move it to a location that is backed up to the cloud, e.g. OneDrive or Dropbox.

Can I transfer Offline Characters between PC and Console?
No methods are currently known for doing this. If you do find a method of doing this, please PM @maxicek before doing it.

Launch D2R without the Blizzard Launcher
  • In your Diablo II Resurrected folder (by default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II Resurrected), you can launch directly from D2R.exe to bypass opening the battle.net launcher.
  • create a shortcut of D2R.exe to use command line options such as -nosound (right click shortcut, select "properties" and at the end of the "target field" after D2R.exe outside of the parenthesis add -ns)
  • Launching through D2R.exe will prevent Diablo II: Resurrected from being updated. If there is a patch, you will be able to continue playing but will continue entirely offline.
Game Creation Options and Item Drop Spacing
  • On the character select screen, you can select "Online" and "Offline". In the "Online" screen, under the Play button, there's a blue gear button that has game creation options.
  • In this menu, the option named "Item Drop Spacing" affects offline games as well.
  • Legacy item drop spacing has items spaced normally when dropping onto the ground, how they were in 1.14 (maybe slightly farther apart, but close)
  • Resurrected item drop spacing has items spaced very far apart when they drop onto the ground
    • This affects item labels as well, meaning they will be spaced farther apart
    • This can lead to item labels not showing in more circumstances
    • Additionally, it can lead to items not showing on the ground entirely until you've looted more of the items (possible bug or engine limitation)
Load Times (WIP)
Load times can be significantly longer for many players and hardware setups when compared with 1.14. For many people, load times are so long that it's bad enough to not switch over due to run times being significantly increased. Some players have load times that are similar to 1.14, some players have reported waiting as long as 30 seconds when exiting a game. If you find anything that helps you on your hardware, please share your findings. All these suggestions may be hardware specific, so ymmv.
  • disabling the Framerate cap option entirely may improve load times
    • set the slider all the way to the right to disable it
  • increasing your framerate through whatever means may lead to faster loads
  • the command line argument -ns or -nosound may lead to faster loads
  • an SSD is extremely helpful for fast load times
Large Font Mode
  • in Options under Gameplay > Accessibility, selecting "Large Font Mode" will enable an opaque background for item drop labels and increase item label size, as well as increasing text sizes throughout the game.
    • this also leads to fewer item labels being shown when large amounts of items drop

Last edited:
Great work!

Is switching to legacy graphics still a feature? (I think it was in the alpha) If so, is it faster to do runs in legacy mode than with D2R graphics?
It is a feature, however it isn't saved between games. So if you enter a game, switch to legacy graphics, S&E, then join new game, you will be back in D2R graphics. Additionally, the legacy graphics for D2R are like way worse than in 1.14 for whatever reason... the framerate feels choppier than it did originally, and stuff just looks.. worse. However, the mouse moves at full uncapped framerate so there's that. Unfortunately this feature as currently implemented is more a parlor trick than an actual usable feature. It has no impact on loads.

Interestingly, the legacy graphic options do have some impact on the improved graphics. For example, if you lower the legacy graphic game resolution to 640x480, the D2R graphics will zoom in a bit. Perspective mode also affects the D2R graphics, adding the weird perspective to D2R so for those of you weirdos who like perspective mode you'll feel right at home in D2R :ROFLMAO: It's far less nausea inducing in D2R, actually kinda neat.

Last edited:
Great work @NorthDakota - Many thanks for doing this.

A couple of contributions:

Can I change my saved file location?
There is no longer a registry entry for the save path, so that method is not possible. You can however move the location of the Saved Game directory. This may affect other games that use this location. You may want to do this to move it to a location that is backed up to the cloud, e.g. OneDrive or Dropbox

Can I transfer Offline Characters between PC and Console?
No methods are currently known for doing this. If you do find a method of doing this, please PM @maxicek before doing it.

Reactions: NorthDakota
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High