Blitz - HC Untwinked Blizz Sorc - Council Crasher and RFL Hopeful

CaseyJones

Apr 2, 2019
Introducting Blitz!

A new hardcore single player untwinked sorceress with sights set on RFL Round 2 and Crashing the Council!

Character Rules:
1.14D
Progression at /players8 (except when I'm a dolt and forget, I'll spill the beans if/when that happens)
Re-runs at any /playersX setting
No ladder runewords (didn't want RWM yet and appreciate it will make me change gearing targets)
Untwinked - Self find items only
GoMule as Black Hole - (long term storage of items for completing Grails and such but once it is in, no going back to character)

Targetting Blizzballer sans Meteor for build. Still deciding between vita and max block.

Off to the Den...was like landing in a nest of red ants!
mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_likeants.jpg

Ants squished!
mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_squashed.jpg

Found a nice early staff....if I was a light sorc...Akara paid nicely for it!

On a side note, one of the best items for early gold to pick up, throwing knives, sell for 460+ if not ethereal and only take 2 slots

Back to cleaning the summer house, erm, den...And then there was 1.

I find it more rewarding when he's the last!

OK Then, all those spaces were pics, apparently need to be a trusted user to post pictures (or links for that matter but it tells you that much above the reply box).

Well that's a bit depressing. I guess the walk through posting will have to come at a later date after I've posted and been around long enough for the ability.

I think the point is to prevent spambots from being able to post images. Don't let it deter you. I would keep updating the post and after you are able then you post all the photos. I would offer to post them for you but I assume that helping another member circumvent restrictions like that would be a violation of site rules.

Looking forward to watching your progress though and welcome to the SPF. Make sure you read the rules in the stickies if you haven't already as breaking them can be a quick way out of here.

Thank you Mizzou! I intend to stick around. I am fairly certain I have read most of the rule stickies, I might check back through them again just to be sure.

I will post more progress later as right now I need to step on it if I am going to be able to actually submit anything for round 2.

On to Blood Raven, rogue scout or go home. Imagine running to one side of the graveyard, firing a few firebolts, back around her army to the other side, a few more firebolts. Took several minutes but she fell and took her army with her. Didn't leave anything good for me though :(

I proceeded to clear the crypts and mausoleum of creepers after I made friends with Visala, my new bow wielding friend. Left cold plains behind at level 10, raw fire damage of my firebolts growing with each advance.

Stony Field didn't bring much, a few stones here and there...no good loot to speak of. Headed in to the underground passage having just glimpsed the ring of stones, leaving it's denizens for a return trip. I walked, I killed, I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and ended up at the entrance to a lower level of the passage. Oh why not peak, it won't take long! No loot worth mentioning abandoned in there. Back to Albuquerque to take the proper turn and moments later emerge from the passage.

The furry Treehead and his band were nearby, rushing over as soon as they caught my scent! (I HAD showered!) They tuckered out from the flames and took a dirt nap while I examined the magical tree. Scroll in hand I wandered to the waypoint and returned to Akara to hear what the scroll contained. A sequence to activate stones? I would never have guessed!

Back to stony field...there I met up with a spakly blue Smurf, well, turns out Rakunishu isn't really a Smurf. Coroner's report claimed charred demon, but he sure fit the part. I followed the directions on the scroll, well, really I tried but those directions are never quite right. I managed to figure it out on my own though and was amazed to find a portal open to a mystical land, Tristram. I've heard legends of this theme park and I couldn't wait to go.

Rushing into the portal I was surprised to find no lines of people, well, not live ones anyway. It looked nothing like the brochure, do they ever? The only ride I found was being hogged by none other than THE Deckard Cain! Some sort of swing that wasn't swinging so much. He was kind enough to come down when he saw me line up next in line.

For some reason that made the ride operator, Griswold, angry with me and he tried to chase me away. Chase ME away? This wielder of untold power? Have I mentioned I learned a new trick with the flames? Shape em into a huge ball that bursts on impact. Griswold knows all about it now, though I'm afraid he can't tell you. Akara was grateful that she was able to get Cain's autograph before he wandered to another village and gave me, a flame wielding sorceress, a +20 attack rating ring. I'm sure it was accidental...mind all abuzz with the celebrity in town.

The journey continued right to a crumbling inn. The service was terrible, so bad I left a review on the tavern bulletin board. "1 star, wouldn't stay again, like my blood intact." Anyway, I asked to speak with the manager. NOT a nice lady! She did drop some funny stone tiles though. TAL. I do believe that is half of stealth! (Olde olde English). At this point, the speak to management routine became daily. She dropped different tiles some times. Ith, Ral, Ral, Eth. The other half of stealth, someone's looking dapper now! What else can I use these stones for? Oh yeah. Leaf...if I just had a proper staff...oh Akara!!

After much bartering and haggling, Akara finally opened up her reserve collection and I found the most perfect 2 socket +2 fireball staff...ok, not perfect, but it will do in a pinch. Back to the management routine. Ith, Ral, Ral, Ral..started feeling like a cheerleader. RAL! RAL! RAL! Go TEAM! Then on my 13th complaint to management, poof, the awaited TIR dropped.

Equipped with new duds and a new powerful staff I resumed the journey. Happened upon the wealth of the neighborhood, a huge expansive (not to mention expensive) monastery. Now a too elegant home for the fiends inside. Poking around a bit I found some stairs to a jail level. But Charsi asked for a favor, and she'd done so well with my repairs, I had to at least give it a try. I tracked down her forge and trusty hammer. Horadric Malus. With a name like that you would think it would do some neat trick. Nope, just sitting there on a rack. The Smith turned to hand it down to me but got too close to the forge and burst into flames. Yes, yes that's what happened, trust me. The char marks on the far wall were most certainly not poorly aimed fireballs.

Charsi was so happy to have her hammer back, and there is something weird going on there the way her eyes took in the hammer when I pulled it from my sack, anyway, she was so happy she fixed me up with a fancy new belt. One with 3 rows for potions! Yes, that was its best feature. At this rate I am going g to have to craft my own gear if I want something decent.

Back to the monastery to check out the way cool jail! Down and down and eventually stairs going up! Inner cloister, fancy name for a garden, and right into a massive cathedral! The weren't allowing tourists but I quickly slipped into a side room and made my way towards the alter. This priest had fasted so long he really had become bone or ash or Bone Ash. No match for my growing power! I am unstoppable! Off to the side I found some stairs leading into the catacombs.

As eerie as any others I've seen with the added bonus of walking dead and other miscreants. The bottom of which houses a massive mutli armed woman. Spider like she moved, spewing poison all about. Fortunately, she doesn't like fire. Off her feet pops the first set item I've seen yet, Hsaru's boots and an upgrade for me!

All in all not seeing much impressive drop...but it is early and I don't have a lot of magic find %..just a couple flawed or chipped topaz in a helm at this point. The RALs will be nice...and I found a couple unusable uniques, The Gnasher and the other escapes my memory at the moment, will have to check my screen shots again.

On to Act 2, starting out in the low 20's.

WOW !! Excellent and really funny !! :p:p
Once you can add the pics, it will be flawless !
Congrats for your work !!

Welcome, and good luck !!! It's certainly not an easy goal you have set yourself, to get Trav Sorc ready in a week time.

I'd go full Blizz btw, instead of Blizzballer.

I may Respec and try full blizzard for awhile. Just always uneasy about immunes that I tend to go dual tree.

Any cold immunes that you find in Trav will always be cold and fire immune so if your intention is to strictly farm trav I would do what T72on1 said and go strictly blizzard.

@CaseyJones Great writing with just the write amount of humor. Can't wait for the screenshot version!

Personally, I like the idea of going dual element to blitz through the game, then respec to pure Bliz for power leveling at Pindle/AT to get ready for round 2 in time. Seems like one of the fastest routes to get there, in my opinion. Actually, I would probably respec twice... Blast through Normal using Fireball, then respec to Bliz for NM, and once Bliz/CM/a synergy are at a level where Bliz deals comfortable damage (for /p1-p3 Hell: If you want to survive and get Council-ready in time, /p8 hell is probably too ambitious), start pumping Fireball and Fire Bolt again. Then, after you finish questing, a respec back to Bliz.

Why would you go dual element in SP if going for max efficiency? Full Blizz can handle all Act bosses, AT, Pindle, CS , LK and Travincal. She's even (one of) the best build(s) for most of those. The only downside is you have to skip some immunes.

@T72on1 Skipping that many immunes while playing hardcore seems unnecessarily risky, especially for when just trying to get through quickly without too much stopping to grind for gear. Besides, unless saving Ancients for 98, why not use a respec or 2 if it makes life easier/safer?

@CaseyJones Blast through Normal using Fireball, then respec to Bliz for NM, and once Bliz/CM/a synergy are at a level where Bliz deals comfortable damage (for /p1-p3 Hell: If you want to survive and get Council-ready in time, /p8 hell is probably too ambitious), start pumping Fireball and Fire Bolt again. Then, after you finish questing, a respec back to Bliz.

Yeah, I am starting to feel some slowdown from /p8 but the extra xp cuts down on the runs later. I am going to respec to blizzard soon just to get used to it again through NM before reaching Hell. I will likely be late to the party for round 2 but hope to submit at least a partial entry before it is over. Likely use this char for round 3 then too. All that only if I don't RIP along the way ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it coming

Welcome @CaseyJones always great to see new faces, especially those playing HC.

I don’t think you can go wrong with pure blizz or blizzballer.pure blizzard will have more outright damage which is nice but you’ll have to skip some mobs, although I don’t think there are any required cold immures until hell CS. Blizzballer will be more sturdy all around but may not be able to play on /p8 as long due to less damage. I know I’m not adding much, just trying to say you can’t go wrong!

As for vita vs block, I’d go vita. While I’m a huge fan of max block and have it on my HC sorc, I wouldn’t get it until you have a decent shield with decent base block rate otherwise you’ll spend too much on dex. Something like Whistans, Mosers, Stormshield, or Sanctuary/Rhyme runewords. Check the base you put the runewords into as well, sometimes a higher block shield may require more str to wield than a lower shield would require dex to obtain max block if that makes sense.

Best thing for survival while leveling is getting high resists and being ready to save and exit if you need to?

Feel free to ask for any clarification, be happy to help!

Well, I am not likely to rage quit. I am working on strats to deal with the claw viper temple and flayer dungeon immunes now as I get closer to reaching them. Found some good tips from over 10 years ago on these forums :) I will be posting some updates on this sorc over the weekend. Might even be able to add in pics now :)

Doh, don't remind me. Really, I still have a bad feeling about how things went there :(.
IMO you shouldn't.. if such a harmless comment makes people react that way, it's definitely not your problem. (Actually I'm a bit annoyed because I gave him a DFathom shortly before he left... now I'd rather haven't. ;))

Anyway, sorry for OT. Good luck @CaseyJones!

Level 20 with Act 2 before me.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_charsheetact2norm.jpg

First up...find a new companion. One that'll take a hit for me. Aha! The town guards seem to swoon when I walk by. Maybe one of them will do. Here we

are, Gulzar. Hopefully his rune based name will give me lucky rune drops. Fara was kind enough to craft a special cheerleader weapon for

me...introducing the RAL-RAL-RAL pointy stick! He can take a hit and keep my morale high!
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_ralstick.jpg

Down into the sewers to find a misguided youth, they always seem to lose their way. I happen upon this discarded armor hoarded by skeletons. And a new

stealth was born.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_stealthcomplete.jpg

Getting to Radament with the Leaf staff and a potent fireball was pretty easy. He didn't prove difficult either.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_radamentnorm.jpg

The sewers behind me, unfortunately the smell did not leave so quickly, I left town and found my self in the Dry Hills at the first right. This was

fortunate. Clearing the area I found it had doubled back and provided a nice view of Lut Gholein. I've never noticed a map do that before.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_khurastviewnorm.jpg

Found the Halls of the dead and cleared to the magic box. I used the box to make a savage poleaxe but the RAL-stick was still a better weapon.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_cubesecured.jpg

On my way to the oasis I found Deathspade, no use but a new item for my grail collection!
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_uniqueaxe.jpg

Secured the staff from the hoarding sand maggots.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_staffsecurednorm.jpg

Found that the snake people had squirreled away Civerbs Cudgel, or is that snaked away. *shrug* Who knows...further in I found the Viper Amulet.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_civerbsscepter.jpg
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_viperamuletnorm.jpg

A quick tour of the palace basement and I was standing at the most curious floating walkway. Of course my unfortunate turns continued and I had to walk all 4 directions to find the Summoner who collapsed quickly.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_summonernorm.jpg

I think the "opening the tomb sequence" is one of my favorite animation sequences in the game, so I snapped a shot.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_openingtomba2norm.jpg

And then proceeded to beat the stuffin out of the bug pinata Duriel for a not so stellar loot fall. +18 mana GC anyway.
https://mindescapesnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/d2_blitz_bugpinatadurielnorm.jpg

That's it for act 2, Act 3 is just around the corner!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High