Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

@drmalawi I messed around a bit with Duriel's drops and I'd like to hear your input on it. To calculate item chances, like you did, the chance for at least one item to drop is needed. So I calculated the chance for Duriel to drop 0 items from his 'Duriel Base' TC for a given kill. Here are the details:

I don't understand what you are trying to do. What is the question you are trying to answer?

I don't understand what you are trying to do. What is the question you are trying to answer?

The question is: What are Duriel's chances to drop a particular item?

Hope that clears it up ;)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but to be 100% sure: a Necro in Werebear form can't cast Curses, right?

Unfortunately correct.

I also found out that Assassins can’t release Tiger Strike charges with Berserk from Passion. That one really disappointed me.

Too bad. I'm still thinking about doing a BotD Necro, now that I have a BotD. Normal form attack seems slow though, even with a Faith merc it's only 11 FPA. Werebear form attack speed is acceptable, but no curses would completely cripple this build methinks. Or even if it doesn't, take away from what's making every Necro unique: his Curses. Then it would only be another 'hold RMB and kill' Bear build. Only weaker than most other builds ...

Strange one (and indeed disappointing), that TS / Berserk combination. Makes me wonder which other niche (and maybe impossible) combinations of skills and oskills are possible though.

Nah, BotD for sure. The clue is to have them PN procs go off. Would also be a good excuse to finally make a Bramble armor and use it. Maybe.

@art_vandelay @T72on1

A bit of a late reply, but.. I got some bad news. :mad: In that post I had said that hardcoded spawns don't count towards the spawned_packs counter, but they do. Furthermore, each Champion individually increments this counter! Hardcoded packs will spawn regardless of the counter however, so there's at least that.

So if you know the location(s) of hardcoded champions/uniques (including superuniques!), then you will want to try and reach those locations last.

Each area has its own counters, so Pit 1 and Pit 2 are handled separately. I believe Pit 2 always has one hardcoded unique pack, but I'm not too familiar with the map files and can't say for sure. :E

If an Evil Urn spawns a pack, then that will also increment the spawned_packs counter, so if you're out to min-max your monster packs, pop those urns at the end. Also, these urns will only spawn a pack if the urn dropped at least one item, so you will increase the chance of an urn spawning a pack by increasing the player count (these urns run 1 cycle of the appropriate Chest TC). Silly Blizzard mechanics. By the way, it is not a bug that those two hardcoded urns spawn spiders; all Evil Urns spawn these spiders. The reason that those two urns never spawn a pack is because the game does not allow monsters to be spawned that close to those entrances. (Hardcoded spawns ignore this rule, which is why that Thresh Socket guy for example is allowed to guard that entrance.)

Sorry for that mistake! I had some stuff mixed up. :(

@ffs or anyone (I know i'd seen ffs discuss this before though :)) I was thinking of making a dreamadin. What are the pros and cons of using fanaticism plus infinity on merc vs conviction with reapers on merc. I will be using grief + enigma, and I'm assuming these are the two best options. I calc'd the dmg against a monster with zero light res and zero physical res, and the conviction + reapers comes out on top when decrep is proc'd, but only by 6% or so, and that's only after decrep proc'd.

So it looks to me that pros of running conviction are: slightly more dmg, slightly less atk rating needed (but were using grief so this is kinda whatever).

And pros of running fana are: easier gearing options for 4 frame zeal, more leech, more balanced dmg between light and phys, and the option to slap reapers on merc and gface/hoz on self and be a fana zealot for whatever situation (like council).

But I wanted to make sure i'm not overlooking anything big since I've not tried any of these. Higher lvl conviction may be nicer against monsters who have some light res, which is probably a lot more common that some physical res, so I'm assuming practical experience would answer some situations like that. Thanks!

@T72on1 Question is do you want to maximise Lightning damage with CM but have considerable issues with life upkeep, or would you rather include some meaningful physical damage and play much more comfortably. I very much prefer the latter, meaning indeed using Grief. Most importantly though, despite slightly lower damage per hit on average, overall running was much faster. Because with higher elemental damage but survival issues, there’s plenty of time lost by having to back away or reposition due to the lack of ability to face tank during fights. Thats why I found Grief stronger overall.

@Luhkoh Grief Dreamer should use HLW and LoH, which means a 32+ IAS Grief PB will get you to 4 frame Zeal without need for Fanaticism. So it’s pretty easy to hit. I found high level Conviction was better than the physical damage increase from Fana, so Conviction is the aura I ended up using on the Paladin. Then Reaper adds not only juicy physical damage, but even more safety and leech. It also removes PIs and in many cases enables you to leech from those monsters, too. These are important further Reaper pros from my perspective.

I didn’t calculate Conviction vs Fanaticism + Infinity Merc numbers in detail as you did, and rather just compared gameplay. But as you said, generally LR is more prevalent than physical res, plus the life upkeep in general is better with Reaper... and that’s really the Achilles heel that’s being addressed with the physical/Grief approach in the first place (while losing out on as little DPS as possible, but apparently even here Reapers is at least on par with Fana). Also worth noting I used Enigma (not CoH/Forti) in case it makes a difference.

I did consider the Fanaticism route eg for farming specific targets and to hit certain FCR BPs (using different amulet/gloves than HLW/LoH). But the thing is charms are barely needed at all on a Dreamer, leaving you with plenty of inventory space.. so stuff like running Hoto/Spirit switch with CtA in inventory is definitely a viable approach to solve any FCR issues.

TLDR, unless specific purposes require otherwise, I would go Grief + Conviction with Reaper + Might Merc. :) NB: I should add all of this is for high player settings, otherwise those survival issues don’t really exist ofc. I guess nobody plays such a char to run P1, but just to avoid confusion. ;)

Would the best hypothetical weapon be an eth phase blade with cruel/fools/ias/2os/lightning damage and socketed with facets? Or would it lack in both lightning and physical--best to just choose one?

@T72on1 speaking as someone who has only ran the numbers and not played the character, I dont think so. ffs mentions various reasons why grief might be preferred, but I also think that cmoon is NOT more dps in most situations, even if safety was zero concern. Against non-immunes, which will be the majority of enemies, the physical dmg of grief should more than offset the extra lightning dmg. And even against broken immunes it's somewhat comparable.

@ffs thanks for the input! Surely 20 points of fanaticism will increase leech more than decrepify right? With the exception of broken physical immunes like you mentioned. That's a great point I hadn't thought of. Agreed we're talking about higher playersettings, and honestly I probably shouldn't dismiss the safety increase offered by reapers. But I was assuming 20 points in fanaticism plus grief would leech so much that it wouldn't be an issue. Very interesting stuff on the lack of need for charms helping with fcr breakpoints. Always appreciate it!

Also wanted to mention too that like I said above, i really think grief offers the most dps, unless ive calc'd something wrong or am overlooking something. Only situation I can think of where crescent moon would be better is a broken LI who is either PI or has very high physical res. And reapers may make grief come out on top for that situation too, depending. And if we want to include non-enigma variants like dragon + hoj, then we have to compare to grief + fort, and I think grief wins out then too.

I'm really liking the 2 characters in 1 aspect of the infinity + fana variant (changing only 3 pieces of gear to be a fully built fanazealot), so I may have to try it out when I finally get around to making the character. But if I switch to conviction plus reapers and find it better I'll come back and tell you you were right :p

@Jocular Idk that's an interesting question. May have to run more numbers tm :)

For what it's worth, I agree with @ffs that the max conviction/grief set up is optimal. I had pure auradin and concluded that set up, with Reaper's might merc would outperform, and likely to a noticeable degree.

@Luhkoh life upkeep means "staying at high health", so not only leech but rather leech minus damage taken over time. Decrepify is ideal in that regard IMO. In terms of pure damage I'd have to run numbers as well, but I'm a bit surprised. For example it is generally accepted that Reaper is better for melee chars than Pride (which has a ED modifier similar to Fanaticism) due to aura ED being additive with other ED sources, as opposed to Decrep...

That being said, definitely many routes are viable with a Dreamer. Re CM, indeed it only makes sense in areas with LIs (though there are many) when using Conviction on Pally.

I have a quick question about pure fire sorc. I've experimented a bit with various setups and it seems to me that full Tal's set is by far the best for this build - in terms of damage, life, defense, resistances and MF. I've tried all sorts of much more expensive combinations (including HotO, Eschuta's, Arachnid ...) and none came close to full Tal's set - other items on the build are pretty stadard: Magefist, SoJ, Nagelring, War Traveler, 35fcr Spirit, CtA and random Spirit on switch, Gheed's, 4x Fire skillers).
I'm thinking about socketing at least the armor with -5/+5 fire facet, but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts first.

For PvM I think full Tal’s is hard to beat. This is what I use on my 1.10a BKWB Sorc. Socketing with Facets is a good idea if you want more power. -% Fire Resist is better than +% damage.

For PvP I use 1.07 Arakaines + Shako, HoTO + Spirit, 2x Beta BKWB, Arachnid Mesh, Magefist, Mara’s, Treks. Much more life, but no MF or -%FR

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High