A word of caution...D2R crash

Nona

Jan 13, 2021
Hey Forum,

Today is a sad day for me. I went to boot up D2R and my untwinked 99er was gone from the character list, and I wasn't able to load any of my other characters that were on the list. They "failed to join" the games I was trying to start. After doing some digging it appears my computer crashed while D2R was on. I don't remember that happening, so maybe the game was up and I closed my laptop and it happened then, I'm not sure. Apparently, this is a known issue. The shared stash file in the D2R save folder becomes corrupted and if you remove that from the folder the toons work again. I removed the folder and sure enough, I was able to create games with my HC characters again with two caveats. One: anything in my shared stashes was deleted ( I lost 2 sur runes, plus a number of bases-I am kicking myself for not muling those off to gomule) The other caveat is that the character you were playing when the computer crash occurred is gone. Those files were corrupted as well, or at least I haven't been able to figure out how to get them to work. The two "solutions" that have been offered don't jive with our rules here and would feel dirty anyway (Essentially re-creating the character with editing software or editing the character save file to fix the corrupted part). So this is going to be the most unusual and frustrating deeds I have ever had and that is saying something! I keep loading the game expecting her to show up and then stare in shocked silence...BACK UP your files, this is apparently a known issue with D2R.

Hey Forum,

Today is a sad day for me. I went to boot up D2R and my untwinked 99er was gone from the character list, and I wasn't able to load any of my other characters that were on the list. They "failed to join" the games I was trying to start. After doing some digging it appears my computer crashed while D2R was on. I don't remember that happening, so maybe the game was up and I closed my laptop and it happened then, I'm not sure. Apparently, this is a known issue. The shared stash file in the D2R save folder becomes corrupted and if you remove that from the folder the toons work again. I removed the folder and sure enough, I was able to create games with my HC characters again with two caveats. One: anything in my shared stashes was deleted ( I lost 2 sur runes, plus a number of bases-I am kicking myself for not muling those off to gomule) The other caveat is that the character you were playing when the computer crash occurred is gone. Those files were corrupted as well, or at least I haven't been able to figure out how to get them to work. The two "solutions" that have been offered don't jive with our rules here and would feel dirty anyway (Essentially re-creating the character with editing software or editing the character save file to fix the corrupted part). So this is going to be the most unusual and frustrating deeds I have ever had and that is saying something! I keep loading the game expecting her to show up and then stare in shocked silence...BACK UP your files, this is apparently a known issue with D2R.
If you've opened the character in GoMule, it should create a backup of the character so that might be an option for recovery if you haven't looked yet.

Otherwise it's like you say - make a backup. Keep your gomule stashes in your save folder, copy your entire save folder once a week and you have a full intact snapshot of everything. You can use a program or something to do it for you, but I just set a calendar reminder to remind me to do it on Sundays. Losing a super old character isn't an option for me

Sorry to hear about this my guy, hope something will fix you up.

Reactions: coju
If you've opened the character in GoMule, it should create a backup of the character so that might be an option for recovery if you haven't looked yet.

Otherwise it's like you say - make a backup. Keep your gomule stashes in your save folder, copy your entire save folder once a week and you have a full intact snapshot of everything. You can use a program or something to do it for you, but I just set a calendar reminder to remind me to do it on Sundays. Losing a super old character isn't an option for me

Sorry to hear about this my guy, hope something will fix you up.
Huzzah!! After some fiddling with the GoMule backups I was able to restore my character!!!! Thanks for the insight. I still lost my in game shared stash but that is definitely okay. Im so glad I didn't empty out her personal Gomule stash into the general ones. Thanks again ND!

You can open the shared stash in GoMule, if you haven’t already. Is that corrupted as well?

You can open the shared stash in GoMule, if you haven’t already. Is that corrupted as well?
I did try opening the shared stash file and it still says "disconnected" when I open it in gomule. I didn't see any backups for it, or maybe don't know where to look. If something comes up I'll let you know.

Reactions: coju
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High